Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    corduroy10 wrote: »
    PJ_Soul wrote: »
    I think my worst sounding album now is the reissue of Rated R by Queens of the Stone age. It's a great album, but this reissue is SO quiet - WAY worse that LB. I have to crank the volume up almost twice as high as I play other albums, and even then it just sounds a bit flat. Very disappointing... good thing it wasn't expensive. If anyone wants this album, I recommend springing for the original pressing.

I completely agree with you about Rated R (X). It's insanely quiet and sounds flat when turned up, no punch at all. All my other Queens albums sounds great in comparison.

I'd like to also add Jack White's Lazeretto to the list. The music itself doesn't sound bad, but for album that got hyped so much for all of its bells and whistles, it's pretty noisy and loses points on the QC department IMO.

I agree also about the QOTSA's Rated R on vinyl, it's far too quiet, must have been a bad pressing or not sourced from the original master recording. Very disappointing. Such a shame too, as it's a great album, would love to hear it as a quality recording... :-q
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    reesdog wrote: »
    Of the more recent records I'd have to say this is one of the best sounding I've heard. Beck does it again, such a full and lush sound he get's on vinyl, quite blissful. Nearly up there with his 'Sea Change' Mofi release for sound quality.

I might be starting to "get" this album. Since it was released I just haven't been picking up what everyone else seems so taken by. Not sure why... I'm a Beck fan. I "get" Beck usually, lol. But this one, I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. And I kept trying to listen and understand what everyone else was loving, and nada. But now I think I'm starting to feel it all of a sudden. I wonder what THAT is?? Must be psychological in some way, but what's changed?? Hmmmm. :-?

Nice to see that you are "getting" Morning Phase PJ_Soul, it is a very good record, I much prefer listening to the vinyl version of this over the MP3's in the car, it's a sit down at home type record to be listened to on a decent set of speakers. Have you heard Odelay on vinyl? That's another great one if you can find it on that format...

• Options
    lolobugg wrote: »
    Good Thread!!
    one of the best sound records I use for reference is def Radiohead- Kid A on 10"
    worst record was LB/Live on 10 Legs/Ten Remastered.... so unfortunate that the quality of PJ vinyl has really gone down lately.
    I also find most of the Third Man catalog is mastered way too low.... but it could be the UPI plant they use. LB was also manufactured there... coincidence?

Kid A sounds so good on those 10" records lolobugg, you're right, as does it's companion record, Amnesiac. Both well worth getting.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Of the more recent records I'd have to say this is one of the best sounding I've heard. Beck does it again, such a full and lush sound he get's on vinyl, quite blissful. Nearly up there with his 'Sea Change' Mofi release for sound quality.

I might be starting to "get" this album. Since it was released I just haven't been picking up what everyone else seems so taken by. Not sure why... I'm a Beck fan. I "get" Beck usually, lol. But this one, I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. And I kept trying to listen and understand what everyone else was loving, and nada. But now I think I'm starting to feel it all of a sudden. I wonder what THAT is?? Must be psychological in some way, but what's changed?? Hmmmm. :-?

Nice to see that you are "getting" Morning Phase PJ_Soul, it is a very good record, I much prefer listening to the vinyl version of this over the MP3's in the car, it's a sit down at home type record to be listened to on a decent set of speakers. Have you heard Odelay on vinyl? That's another great one if you can find it on that format...
    I don't have Odelay, but it's a great album! I do have the CD.... but I don't really listen to CDs ever. I would imagine that Odelay is pretty expensive to get on vinyl at this point! There isn't a reissue, is there?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

I don't have Odelay, but it's a great album! I do have the CD.... but I don't really listen to CDs ever. I would imagine that Odelay is pretty expensive to get on vinyl at this point! There isn't a reissue, is there?
    There was one 4x LP reissue in 2008 but that goes for hundreds now, more so than the original. I picked mine up second-hand on Flea-bay for about US$50 a couple of years back...

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Odelay is a great album!
    I'd love to find it on vinyl
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    edited January 2015
    4xLP? For Odelay? What's on it? If it's just Odelay spread across 4 LPs someone would have to pay ME to play it, lol!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    4xLP? For Odelay? What's on it? If it's just Odelay spread across 4 LPs someone would have to pay ME to play it, lol!
    Haha yeah thats a lot of flipping! Yeah, the 4LP has a whole lot of rare tracks and alternate versions of songs. Mines an original with just the standard tracks, 1 LP :)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,725
    Anytime a Paul Westerberg album ends up on vinyl and on my turntable I'm a (mostly) happy guy! P.W.'s Eventually came out on vinyl and, as it turns out, to me it's one of those best and though not worst, there are a few weak spots on the vinyl version. As far as the music itself goes, this LP is a bit mixed- not all the songs do it for me but on the other hand, some of them like "Once Around The Weekend" and "Angels Walk" are some of my favorite Westerberg tunes.

The sound on the vinyl version is a bit mixed here. "Once.." is terrific and that THRILLS me because it is such a great song. On the other hand, the vocals on "Angels Walk" are muddy and a bit lost in the background. Still, over all, definitely a keeper and so glad to have this on vinyl.

And P.W./'mats fans- more good news: Paul's Suicane Gratifaction is slated to be released on vinyl later this year! :-D
    001_zps92e3cf1e.jpg
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Haha yeah thats a lot of flipping! Yeah, the 4LP has a whole lot of rare tracks and alternate versions of songs. Mines an original with just the standard tracks, 1 LP :)
    Oh, I see! Well that sounds pretty awesome! Wish I could afford it!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    brianlux wrote: »
    Anytime a Paul Westerberg album ends up on vinyl and on my turntable I'm a (mostly) happy guy! P.W.'s Eventually came out on vinyl and, as it turns out, to me it's one of those best and though not worst, there are a few weak spots on the vinyl version. As far as the music itself goes, this LP is a bit mixed- not all the songs do it for me but on the other hand, some of them like "Once Around The Weekend" and "Angels Walk" are some of my favorite Westerberg tunes.

The sound on the vinyl version is a bit mixed here. "Once.." is terrific and that THRILLS me because it is such a great song. On the other hand, the vocals on "Angels Walk" are muddy and a bit lost in the background. Still, over all, definitely a keeper and so glad to have this on vinyl.

And P.W./'mats fans- more good news: Paul's Suicane Gratifaction is slated to be released on vinyl later this year! :-D
    001_zps92e3cf1e.jpg

Great stuff Brian, I think The Replacements have been re-releasing some of their back catalogue on vinyl lately... ??
  • Options
    For some reason I've read online that this version of Nevermind is a bad pressing and I think I've read a couple of people say it on this site also, but for the life of me I have no idea why some people have said such a thing. This is the 4LP version that came out a couple of years back.
    30jpmb8.jpg
    Mine sounds absolutely awesome, blasted it the other night and I'd say it's one of the best sounding records in my collection. The separation on the production and instrument's is really clear. Great remastering imo and worth every penny.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    spinning Mark Lanegan's Blues Funeral right now. Sounds fucking great!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote: »
    spinning Mark Lanegan's Blues Funeral right now. Sounds fucking great!
    Thats a great album, his best I'd say. Have you heard his latest Phantom Radio? That's a good one too.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Yeah, Phantom Radio is awesome as well!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,725

Great stuff Brian, I think The Replacements have been re-releasing some of their back catalogue on vinyl lately... ??

Yes, reesdog! Even the Replacements All Shook Down (which is essentially the first P.W. solo album released as a 'Mats record for contractual purposes) was reissued on vinyl and that one sounds fantastic!

A little whine for the day: Woke up to find I'd lost out on bidding on an Albert Ayler LP that's been on my want list literally for decades. That one stung a little-- ouch!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    For some reason I've read online that this version of Nevermind is a bad pressing and I think I've read a couple of people say it on this site also, but for the life of me I have no idea why some people have said such a thing. This is the 4LP version that came out a couple of years back.
    30jpmb8.jpg
    Mine sounds absolutely awesome, blasted it the other night and I'd say it's one of the best sounding records in my collection. The separation on the production and instrument's is really clear. Great remastering imo and worth every penny.
    I think a lot of people take a lot from the Dynamic Range numbers. The remastered 4 LP has a DR7, while if you can A/B compare the 2009 ORG pressing which is a DR12. I think you could tell a big difference.
  • Options
    MedozK wrote: »
    30jpmb8.jpg
    I think a lot of people take a lot from the Dynamic Range numbers. The remastered 4 LP has a DR7, while if you can A/B compare the 2009 ORG pressing which is a DR12. I think you could tell a big difference.
    Well ok, I'll have to take your word for it, have you done an A/B test with these MedozK? I'd love to hear that 2009 pressing you mention, because if it sounds better than this it must be fucking amazing...

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I have the 2009 ORG pressing and it does sound amazing. I don't have a remaster to A/B, but I have compared other DR7s to DR12s and there is a significant difference. If you can find the original 1991 Nevermind CD, it has a DR12 also. You could probably compare that.

Analyzed: Nirvana / Nevermind (2011 Remastered Vinyl)

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 -0.08 dB -7.82 dB 5:01 01-Smells Like Teen Spirit
    DR7 -0.08 dB -7.77 dB 4:15 02-In Bloom
    DR7 -0.09 dB -8.37 dB 3:39 03-Come As You Are
    DR7 -0.08 dB -7.72 dB 3:04 04-Breed
    DR7 -0.09 dB -8.98 dB 4:17 05-Lithium
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.24 dB 2:57 06-Polly
    DR6 -0.09 dB -7.97 dB 2:23 07-Territorial Pissings
    DR7 -0.09 dB -7.73 dB 3:44 08-Drain You
    DR7 -0.09 dB -7.80 dB 2:37 09-Lounge Act
    DR7 -0.09 dB -7.63 dB 3:32 10-Stay Away
    DR6 -0.05 dB -7.49 dB 3:16 11-On A Plain
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.98 dB 3:55 12-Something In The Way
    DR7 -0.07 dB -8.62 dB 6:43 13-Endless, Nameless

Number of tracks: 13
    Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 3137 kbps
    Codec: ALAC

Analyzed: Nirvana / Nevermind (2009 ORG Vinyl)

DR12 -7.79 dB -21.69 dB 5:00 01-Smells Like Teen Spirit
    DR12 -3.97 dB -21.49 dB 4:14 02-In Bloom
    DR13 -6.80 dB -23.73 dB 3:41 03-Come As You Are
    DR13 -5.62 dB -22.37 dB 3:04 04-Breed
    DR12 -7.10 dB -22.67 dB 4:16 05-Lithium
    DR11 -11.05 dB -24.90 dB 2:58 06-Polly
    DR12 -6.26 dB -21.59 dB 2:23 07-Territorial Pissings
    DR13 -7.93 dB -21.80 dB 3:44 08-Drain You
    DR12 -5.93 dB -21.87 dB 2:37 09-Lounge Act
    DR12 -7.27 dB -21.23 dB 3:31 10-Stay Away
    DR14 -5.44 dB -22.07 dB 3:16 11-On A Plain
    DR13 -7.59 dB -24.51 dB 3:55 12-Something In The Way

Number of tracks: 12
    Official DR value: DR12

Bitrate: 4616 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

Analyzed: Nirvana / Nevermind (1991 CD)

DR11 -0.20 dB -12.83 dB 5:02 01-Smells Like Teen Spirit
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.23 dB 4:15 02-In Bloom
    DR12 -0.20 dB -13.62 dB 3:39 03-Come as You Are
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.72 dB 3:04 04-Breed
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.64 dB 4:17 05-Lithium
    DR10 -1.40 dB -13.59 dB 2:57 06-Polly
    DR12 -0.20 dB -12.93 dB 2:23 07-Territorial Pissings
    DR12 -0.20 dB -12.73 dB 3:44 08-Drain You
    DR12 -0.72 dB -13.27 dB 2:37 09-Lounge Act
    DR12 -0.20 dB -12.61 dB 3:33 10-Stay Away
    DR12 -0.20 dB -13.44 dB 3:16 11-On a Plain
    DR13 -0.20 dB -17.30 dB 20:35 12-Something in the Way / Endless, Nameless

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1411 kbps
    Codec: PCM
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    MendozK - you have been spending too much time on the Hoffman Forum ;)
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote: »
    MendozK - you have been spending too much time on the Hoffman Forum ;)
    Lol, yes I have ... I'm addicted. Not even sure to believe my ears anymore.
  • Options
    It's tough being a PJ fan and a person who enjoys hi-fi. I love PJ's music, but everything is brick walled and a victim of the loudness war. :(
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    snootchie bootchies, MedozK. I hear you. it can drive you insane sometimes.
    also, buck
    I agree... especially the remaster/reissues... they were painful to listen to.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,945
    I have an OP of Nevermind and the ORG. The ORG is probably the best pressing of that record.

• Options
    also, buck

I wonder who we can blame for the loud PJ records? Is it BOB?
  • Options
    also, buck

Good question. He probably mixed it, but you kinda have to blame the band too for approving such a dreadful master. I mean they are vinyl fans, esp Ed. They have to know what good analog/hi-fi sounds like. Or maybe they were targeting the Digital market???? don't know why. seems like most PJ fans appreciate good hi-fi.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    also, buck

Good question. He probably mixed it, but you kinda have to blame the band too for approving such a dreadful master. I mean they are vinyl fans, esp Ed. They have to know what good analog/hi-fi sounds like. Or maybe they were targeting the Digital market???? don't know why. seems like most PJ fans appreciate good hi-fi.

Speaking as a child of the 90's :)
  • Options
    also, buck

Speaking as a child of the 90's :)

:))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozK wrote: »
    I have the 2009 ORG pressing and it does sound amazing. I don't have a remaster to A/B, but I have compared other DR7s to DR12s and there is a significant difference. If you can find the original 1991 Nevermind CD, it has a DR12 also. You could probably compare that.

Analyzed: Nirvana / Nevermind (2011 Remastered Vinyl)

DR6 -0.08 dB -7.82 dB 5:01 01-Smells Like Teen Spirit
    DR7 -0.08 dB -7.77 dB 4:15 02-In Bloom
    DR7 -0.09 dB -8.37 dB 3:39 03-Come As You Are
    DR7 -0.08 dB -7.72 dB 3:04 04-Breed
    DR7 -0.09 dB -8.98 dB 4:17 05-Lithium
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.24 dB 2:57 06-Polly
    DR6 -0.09 dB -7.97 dB 2:23 07-Territorial Pissings
    DR7 -0.09 dB -7.73 dB 3:44 08-Drain You
    DR7 -0.09 dB -7.80 dB 2:37 09-Lounge Act
    DR7 -0.09 dB -7.63 dB 3:32 10-Stay Away
    DR6 -0.05 dB -7.49 dB 3:16 11-On A Plain
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.98 dB 3:55 12-Something In The Way
    DR7 -0.07 dB -8.62 dB 6:43 13-Endless, Nameless

Number of tracks: 13
    Official DR value: DR7

Bitrate: 3137 kbps
    Codec: ALAC

Analyzed: Nirvana / Nevermind (2009 ORG Vinyl)

DR12 -7.79 dB -21.69 dB 5:00 01-Smells Like Teen Spirit
    DR12 -3.97 dB -21.49 dB 4:14 02-In Bloom
    DR13 -6.80 dB -23.73 dB 3:41 03-Come As You Are
    DR13 -5.62 dB -22.37 dB 3:04 04-Breed
    DR12 -7.10 dB -22.67 dB 4:16 05-Lithium
    DR11 -11.05 dB -24.90 dB 2:58 06-Polly
    DR12 -6.26 dB -21.59 dB 2:23 07-Territorial Pissings
    DR13 -7.93 dB -21.80 dB 3:44 08-Drain You
    DR12 -5.93 dB -21.87 dB 2:37 09-Lounge Act
    DR12 -7.27 dB -21.23 dB 3:31 10-Stay Away
    DR14 -5.44 dB -22.07 dB 3:16 11-On A Plain
    DR13 -7.59 dB -24.51 dB 3:55 12-Something In The Way

Bitrate: 4616 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

Analyzed: Nirvana / Nevermind (1991 CD)

DR11 -0.20 dB -12.83 dB 5:02 01-Smells Like Teen Spirit
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.23 dB 4:15 02-In Bloom
    DR12 -0.20 dB -13.62 dB 3:39 03-Come as You Are
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.72 dB 3:04 04-Breed
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.64 dB 4:17 05-Lithium
    DR10 -1.40 dB -13.59 dB 2:57 06-Polly
    DR12 -0.20 dB -12.93 dB 2:23 07-Territorial Pissings
    DR12 -0.20 dB -12.73 dB 3:44 08-Drain You
    DR12 -0.72 dB -13.27 dB 2:37 09-Lounge Act
    DR12 -0.20 dB -12.61 dB 3:33 10-Stay Away
    DR12 -0.20 dB -13.44 dB 3:16 11-On a Plain
    DR13 -0.20 dB -17.30 dB 20:35 12-Something in the Way / Endless, Nameless

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1411 kbps
    Codec: PCM

Well I can't deny the evidence MedozK, that's really interesting to see sound in those Dynamic Range numbers. I'll definitely have to track down a copy of that 2009 Org Nevermind and do a comparison, really interested to find out how awesome that record sounds. Thanks for the info dude!
  • Options
    also, buck
    Listened to the remasters once and that was it. Very disappointing. Hopefully they don't do the same brickwalling to No Code or Yield...that would be TRAGIC!