Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

RobbyD462 said:

Payed $85 shipped for mine(eBay auction)and it came with the menu insert.

One of my all time favorites spin it once a week!

damn!!!
    that's a steal...
    it's going for $349 right now on EBay..
    you can actually buy the gold record cheaper than the playable one.
    Wow I didn't know it went up that much
    I have an original(black/silver) self titled as well as the two reissues.I still always listen to the original.Originals just sound better to bad they always "remaster" sometimes better to leave it the way it is.
    There were TWO reissues of self-titled??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,778
    PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

RobbyD462 said:

damn!!!
    that's a steal...
    I have an original(black/silver) self titled as well as the two reissues.I still always listen to the original.Originals just sound better to bad they always "remaster" sometimes better to leave it the way it is.
    Yes,there was an RSD version that came with the Sippin Time Sessions and then the Music in Vinyl version.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    edited August 2015
    RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

lolobugg said:

RobbyD462 said:

damn!!!
    that's a steal...
    Yes,there was an RSD version that came with the Sippin Time Sessions and then the Music in Vinyl version.
    I did not know about the MOV version! Is it on one disc?? (sorry... okay, to Google.... It IS on one disc!! I might have to pick that up. The sippin' time sessions are great, but I'd like to have it just as it was.... however, only if it sounds great. Does it? I know you said the original sounds better... is it a profound difference (in our twisted vinyl people world, anyway)? If so, I won't bother. Might just spring for the original instead (or stick with the RSD version, which I think sounds pretty good, but haven't compared).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    It is yes.First 1000 on yellow bee wax vinyl and numbered.
    Mine is number 56 if memory serves.
    Mov usually sounds great but my MOV is still sealed so I can't really tell you first hand.
    Post edited by RobbyD462 on

• Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    DewieCox said:

Now for the bad or average

Audioslave/Out of Exile-didn't figure it would be great sounding but it's just way below release quality

Pearl Jam/Backspacer-a great example of what's wrong with alot of modern vinyl. distortion, muddy, no instrument separation

Pearl Jam/rest of their catalog-None of it is in the same ballpark as BS for bad sound quality, but none of it sounds as good as it could or should imo. Yield through Riot Act have the best sound by far

Kings of Leon-Come Around Sundown

Tool-Lateralus pic disk-has alright sound under that mile of hiss

Soundgarden-King Animal...I was expecting this to slay the other versions I have and give me a new appreciation for the album but it's pretty underwhelming

I'll be adding more to both lists when I flip through the collection or as I listen to new stuff.

Hi..........I saw you mention the PJ self-titled.......if you do not mind me asking.........how does yours sound............Mine I have to turn up the volume on full. but still not enough to see how my records sound ....Thanks
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I actually sold it prolly a year ago, but I don't remember needing to crank my system
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Two records with beautiful sound quality...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    This Lower Dens one is cut at 45rpm so sounds great.

A rich sounding record right here, as most Bowie vinyl is so I've found...
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
    This was bit of a rough week for me on the vinyl front. Two of the four record I picked up Monday (at a great record store that- unfortunately- is not close) by were fairly good sounding (not great) but two were a major let down:

Brian Eno: Apollo. This actually is a great sounding LP if you can find it new. It is a very quiet record so a good pressing is essential. I let my new copy go years ago (why? stupid!). So I found a copy that looked good and clean but has a lot of surface noise that could not be ascertained visually. I traded it back locally at a fair bit of a loss.

1969: Velvet Underground Live With Lou Reed. Found a copy of the two-record gate-fold reissue new and was stoked. Three problems, however in ascending displeasure: 1) One of the worst covers ever made for an LP. 2) Poor recording quality. I can't complain about this too much- at least someone had the smarts to do it but with today's technology, this could have been cleaned up better. 3) Major complaint: lousy pressing. It is super irritating to shell out good hard earned cash for inferior product. This Mercury pressing sucks on top of the iffy tape source. The music is outstanding so I'll keep this but I hope somebody has the good sense to put this out on a better format.

In more than one place in Henry Rollins' books FANATIC I, II and III, Henry makes the good point that when you hear something that has been reissued or remastered, don't let your old copy go until you hear the new one. Remasters and repressing are, much to our collective frustration, often inferior. This should not be! Way too often my old 60' through 80's pressings are superior. It's getting harder to find vinyl with good, deep, rich lush grooves. The search goes on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    They don't have a TT at the record store so you can have a listen before buying Brian? I never buy a used record without giving it reasonably thorough test spin, dropped needle in several different places on the record and listen for flaws and make sure it's a decent pressing. If it's not and I still really want it, to discogs I go (where you can find just about every original in existence).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,986
    If anyone loves Buena Vista Social Club, their LP from 97 just got reissued and its a great price (<$30). Its really well mastered and pressed really really well. Pick it up.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    ^^^^ Excellent. I was going to take a gamble on that reissue anyway. Thanks for the tip. :plus_one:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Theu don't have a T at the record store so you can have a listen before buying Brian? I never buy a used record without giving it reasonably thorough test spin, dropped needle in several different places on the record and listen for flaws and make sure it's a decent pressing. If it's not and I still really want it, to discogs I go (where you can find just about every original in existence).

The only decent record stores near me are in Sacramento and as big a town as it is, there aren't any that have a good selection of vinyl even though they do have listening stations. The V.U. LP I mentioned (which was purchased new in a great record store I only get to once in a long while as it is 3 hours away) was new/sealed and the pressing is so bad it's hard to listen to. Which is a big bummer because "1969, Velvet Underground Live" has some terrific music on it!

And yes, I've become a big Discogs fan. MusicStack is good too. Unfortunately, Gemm seems to have folded.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Shame about that VU. Love that album.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

Shame about that VU. Love that album.

Do you have it? Vinyl or CD? How is the sound? The only CD's out there are from Japan and very expensive. Original separate two volume vinyl LP's, same thing. Lots of bucks!

• Options
    No, I don't have it. I was going to pick up that reissue that you got, but now, maybe not. I did have a cassette a million years ago. Played the crap out of that tape.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

No, I don't have it. I was going to pick up that reissue that you got, but now, maybe not. I did have a cassette a million years ago. Played the crap out of that tape.

I read on one of the forums on SteveHoffman.tv (interesting site!) that some of these performances are included in the soon-to-be released "The Velvet Underground: The Complete Matrix Tapes", a 4 CD box set. A fairly hefty purchase but everything I've read about it sounds great. I'm not sure if these are coming out in vinyl, however.

• Options
    halvhalv Posts: 687
    edited November 2015
    reesdog said:

Currently doing a bit of a sound test between this, the original Vitalogy and the 2011 reissue. You'd think the 2011 remaster spread over two LP's would be the better sounding pressing, but no way. The original is so much better out the speakers, much clearer, fuller in sound and the guitars and drums just sound that much more up front.

I?

n/a
    Post edited by halv on
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    put this under the worst columm
    lots of surface noice and 6 skips already on the first spin
    Plain Recordings is apparently known for its low quality pressings and this is
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    smarchee said:

Sorry to hear that, that album is one of the better 90s CD mastering. I have never heard it on vinyl, but those original CDs sound great.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Just cracked open my purple mov Totd and Qotsa like clockwork black 45 and would put both of these on my great/best sounding record list. Definately recommended.
  • Options

Just cracked open my purple mov Totd and Qotsa like clockwork black 45 and would put both of these on my great/best sounding record list. Definately recommended.

Oh yes. Can't say enough about ... Like Clockwork. I'm going to play it right now! :)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    edited December 2015
    ...Like Clockwork may be second place to only Them Crooked Vultures s/t for modern albums on vinyl.

And those MOV releases....Maybe not quite the absolute best pressings possible, but ALWAYS among the best sounding records. Only wish they'd upgrade the packaging.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

...Like Clockwork may be second place to only Them Crooked Vultures s/t for modern albums on vinyl.

And those MOV releases....Maybe not quite the absolute best pressings possible, but ALWAYS among the best sounding records. Only wish they'd upgrade the packaging.

Yeah, the crappy shiny jackets aren't so hot, eh?
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    smarchee said:

Clean it a couple of times, will help. But yes, it is not a good pressing, but I will take it considering the price of the original.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,047
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

Nice!
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Nice!
    Wow that's a classy album!

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2015
    RobbyD462 said:

MedozK said:

Nice!
    Wow that's a classy album!
    A great job done by Mobile Fidelity! SOUNDS AWESOME!
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    TOTD Purple LP Pressing really does sound amazing just like all Sound garden's records... King Animal really rocked on my turntable... This lead me to getting the 20th of Superunknown, Telephantasm and Live 1-5... Soundgarden know what they are really doing when it comes to "modern" vinyl.

• Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,634
    Without a doubt the record I spin the most...

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II