Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
edited December 2013 in Other Music
The 'I just picked up on vinyl' thread is really great, it's so good for seeing what's out there and seeing what many other's manage to get their hands on. But, I thought I'd start another thread, unrelated to that one...

This topic is for anyone that's interested in posting records they have in their collection's that really SOUND amazing on vinyl and/or records that others should try and avoid for poor sound quality or terrible production or whatever.

Just post your pic's or make a list of any recommendations here...
A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    I'll go first...

Neil Young - Greatest Hits: So happy with this purchase, this record sounds incredible, so clear and full. Their are live versions on this, but they sound just as good as the studio tracks. Highly recommended.
    1zbs5qu.jpg

The White Stripes - Elephant: This is a beauty, a very crisp sounding record, listening to it loud it the only way to go. Simply brilliant.
    rad9af.jpg

Primal Scream - Screamadelica: Not sure if the original sounded so good, it probably did, but this is the 20th anniversary edition and if this don't get your butt moving then nothing will. This was Primal Scream's first foray into the dance/electronic genre and they pull it off superbly.
    ws8q6e.jpg
    A couple of turkey's IMO...

Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R: I have four QOTSA records the other three sound really great, this for some strange reason isn't so good. I have to turn it up much louder than usual to get a half decent sound out of it and even then it has no punch. Very disappointing.
    2af051k.jpg

Soundgarden - Superunknown: I was so stoked when I got this record, this is my favorite by Soundgarden so I couldn't wait to crank it up. But, sadly it doesn't sound very good, it's a 2 LP set and LP 1 has alot of surface noise and the guitars have a bit of a scratching sound to them on a few tracks. LP 2 is better, without most of the surface noise but still not that great. The CD sounds way better!

And why does one LP of the two sound better than the other, that's a first for me... Weird!
    2gtpurn.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    This great thread topic and interesting that you put Neil up at the top. As I write this I'm listening to the track, "Danger Bird" from the live "Year of the Horse" vinyl album. Being a Neil Young and Crazy Horse fan, you would probably be very happy to track one of these down. Smell the Horse! Wonderful, thunderous music!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    This great thread topic and interesting that you put Neil up at the top. As I write this I'm listening to the track, "Danger Bird" from the live "Year of the Horse" vinyl album. Being a Neil Young and Crazy Horse fan, you would probably be very happy to track one of these down. Smell the Horse! Wonderful, thunderous music!

Very nice, I just googled that album you mentioned, does indeed sound like a goodie. I have Live Rust by NY & CH, thats a great record too. Any others in your collection you can think of that are the business when it comes to sounding great?
  • Bogey ManBogey Man Newfoundland Posts: 118
    I have that "R" reissue. It is a bit of a turkey, not near as good as the self-titled QOTSA album.

The "VS" reissue also isn't as strong as my other Pearl Jam records for sound.

Some of my best sounding records:
    Neil Young - Decade
    CCR - Chronicles
    QOTSA - QOTSA
    Pearl Jam - Yield
    Black Keys - Attack and Release
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec 5/05/2016
    Ottawa 5/08/2016
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Tool/Aenima-I think their music(especially guitars) can sound a bit mechanical or processed sometimes, but this sounds like your in the room with them.

Van Morrison/Moondance 2008 reissue-When that fog horn blows, after the appropriate line it gives goosebumps. Fantastic record, amazing sound

Wilco/YHF, Sky Blue Sky, S/T, Whole Love-Not sure if these guys record to tape or not, but a great example of a newer band that really nails vinyl sound and overall quality packaging.

Pink Floyd/DSOTM 30th Anniversary reissue- really all their stuff sounds fantastic. alot of people say this is the quintessential pressing and I concur, listened to this album a bazillion times, but the first time I put this record on the hairs on my neck stood up for practically the entire duration.

Raconteurs/Consolers of the Lonely-Just another newer artist that gets vinyl, this one is the best among alot of great sounding stuff from JW

Johnny Cash/American IV:The Man Comes Around- Just brilliant from start to finish. So good it brought tears to my eyes, not from emotion, but from the depth of the sound.

Neil Young-everything he puts out sounds so amazing and lifelike

Zeppelin-Everything sounds epic, with I, III and Physical Graffiti being a hair better than the rest

Hendrix/Electric Ladyland reissue from a few years ago- All his stuff sounds pretty good, but this one sounds amazing

Radiohead/Kid A, Hail To the Thief- Kid A isn't high on my list of Radiohead albums but I gotta give it up for this 2x 10" and the 45rpm mastering on HTtT brings out so much texture.

Flaming Lips/Soft Bulletin-love it when bands take the time to let you know they mastered specifically for vinyl, the sound quality of this is telling enough, but there's even a few extra easter eggs if you pay attention

Page and the Black Crowes/Live At the Greek-the schmelting of 2 of my favorite bands, just a great sounding live album and better than it has any right to be...Steve Gorman hammers it home and it feels like he's gonna drum through your chest at times

Black Keys/Brothers 45rpm RSD release-love this album and so much gets brought out of it with the 45rpm master
    Now for the bad or average

Audioslave/Out of Exile-didn't figure it would be great sounding but it's just way below release quality

Pearl Jam/Backspacer-a great example of what's wrong with alot of modern vinyl. distortion, muddy, no instrument separation

Pearl Jam/rest of their catalog-None of it is in the same ballpark as BS for bad sound quality, but none of it sounds as good as it could or should imo. Yield through Riot Act have the best sound by far

Kings of Leon-Come Around Sundown
    Tool-Lateralus pic disk-has alright sound under that mile of hiss
    Soundgarden-King Animal...I was expecting this to slay the other versions I have and give me a new appreciation for the album but it's pretty underwhelming

I'll be adding more to both lists when I flip through the collection or as I listen to new stuff.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    edited January 2013
    I gotta agree with Dewie on both the good and bad albums. All of Neil Young's vinyl sounds incredible! Pearl Jam's vinyl albums have never really blown me away.

I'm not fond of the remaster of Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Very muddy on quite a few songs, worse with all of the distortion.
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    DewieCox wrote:
    Tool/Aenima-I think their music(especially guitars) can sound a bit mechanical or processed sometimes, but this sounds like your in the room with them.

Van Morrison/Moondance 2008 reissue-When that fog horn blows, after the appropriate line it gives goosebumps. Fantastic record, amazing sound

Wilco/YHF, Sky Blue Sky, S/T, Whole Love-Not sure if these guys record to tape or not, but a great example of a newer band that really nails vinyl sound and overall quality packaging.

Pink Floyd/DSOTM 30th Anniversary reissue- really all their stuff sounds fantastic. alot of people say this is the quintessential pressing and I concur, listened to this album a bazillion times, but the first time I put this record on the hairs on my neck stood up for practically the entire duration.

Raconteurs/Consolers of the Lonely-Just another newer artist that gets vinyl, this one is the best among alot of great sounding stuff from JW

Johnny Cash/American IV:The Man Comes Around- Just brilliant from start to finish. So good it brought tears to my eyes, not from emotion, but from the depth of the sound.

Neil Young-everything he puts out sounds so amazing and lifelike

Zeppelin-Everything sounds epic, with I, III and Physical Graffiti being a hair better than the rest

Hendrix/Electric Ladyland reissue from a few years ago- All his stuff sounds pretty good, but this one sounds amazing

Radiohead/Kid A, Hail To the Thief- Kid A isn't high on my list of Radiohead albums but I gotta give it up for this 2x 10" and the 45rpm mastering on HTtT brings out so much texture.

Flaming Lips/Soft Bulletin-love it when bands take the time to let you know they mastered specifically for vinyl, the sound quality of this is telling enough, but there's even a few extra easter eggs if you pay attention

Page and the Black Crowes/Live At the Greek-the schmelting of 2 of my favorite bands, just a great sounding live album and better than it has any right to be...Steve Gorman hammers it home and it feels like he's gonna drum through your chest at times

Black Keys/Brothers 45rpm RSD release-love this album and so much gets brought out of it with the 45rpm master

Nice one Dewie, thats a great heads up on quite a few records.

Wilco I have to agree, I have 2 of theirs and they sound fantastic.
    Pink Floyd I don't have any yet, the 30th Anniversary version does it have the original artwork or is it the one that's different to the usual?
    Led Zep, hell yeah, those old records still sound awesome if looked after well.
    Radiohead, is Amnesiac a quality recording like Kid A? I just picked this up today...
    I gotta agree with Dewie on both the good and bad albums. All of Neil Young's vinyl sounds incredible! Pearl Jam's vinyl albums have never really blown me away.

I'm not found of the remaster of Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Very muddy on quite a few songs, worse with all of the distortion.

Thats a shame to hear that about the Melon Collie reissue, does the original have these sound problems too?
    reesdog wrote:

Pink Floyd I don't have any yet, the 30th Anniversary version does it have the original artwork or is it the one that's different to the usual?
    Radiohead, is Amnesiac a quality recording like Kid A? I just picked this up today...

I think the DSOTM 30th has the original artwork and goodies. If you find a new copy of it it has flyer(?) as part of the packaging that clearly marks it as the 30th anniversary on the outside. It's not the most recent reissue, which I've heard mixed reviews of, but a standalone from, I guess 10 years ago.

I have Amnesiac, but I'm not as familiar with it. 9x outta 10 I reach for Kid A when I want that particular Radiohead sound. I think the rest of their albums from this century sound really good on vinyl, but Pablo, Bends, and OK Comp, while solid, don't blow me away.
    edited January 2013
    reesdog wrote:

I'm not fond of the remaster of Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Very muddy on quite a few songs, worse with all of the distortion.

Thats a shame to hear that about the Melon Collie reissue, does the original have these sound problems too?

I don't have an original copy of Mellon Collie to compare it to.(too expensive to buy) I just think some of the very distorted guitar effects didn't translate well to this vinyl pressing. It might just be me, but check some of the vinyl reissue reviews on Amazon. I haven't had any problems with the other Smashing Pumpkin reissues.
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    DewieCox wrote:
    reesdog wrote:

I think the DSOTM 30th has the original artwork and goodies. If you find a new copy of it it has flyer(?) as part of the packaging that clearly marks it as the 30th anniversary on the outside. It's not the most recent reissue, which I've heard mixed reviews of, but a standalone from, I guess 10 years ago.

You're correct about the DSOTM 30th, my favorite pressing of this album by far. I think the Mobile Fidelity pressing is decent, but not as good as this. Also, the packaging is fantastic and was released about 10 years ago.

My original pressing of Aenima fucking rocks!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    reesdog wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Very nice, I just googled that album you mentioned, does indeed sound like a goodie. I have Live Rust by NY & CH, thats a great record too. Any others in your collection you can think of that are the business when it comes to sounding great?

That's a tough question! Almost any well kept record (aka vinyl) sounds better than it's CD counterpart and especially any mp3s, etc. to my ears. I've also had better luck with older records in good shape than many new ones.

Lots of great stuff on some of the 60 and 70 labels- Reprise, Vanguard, London, Impulse, Chrysalis.

Brian Eno and Robert Fripp made some great sounding records on Editions EG.

Ace of Hearts Records put out some great sounding records in the 80's, especially the first two Mission of Burma LPs.

Miles Davis LPs on Columbia- oh, some great sounding records there like "In a Silent Way", "Bitches Brew" and the yet to re-acquire "Kind of Blue".

The Who, "Live at Leads"- another great sounding vinyl LP!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

In keeping with the OP title I guess I should throw in a bad sounding record or two:

Paul Butterfield Blues Band's "East West" reissue on Edsel Records. OMG! That record sounded great on Electra but the Edsel remake's is all I've got and it's very inferior sounding.

Columbia, which I mentioned above as putting out so many great records also had some duds. My re-release of Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde doesn't sound as good as the original.

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    John Lennon's Imagine Is Shite. So is most of Cheech and Chong.

Don't buy Patrick Stump. I can't sell what I never opened, anywhere.

I have Two Same but different issues of El Camino "Black KEYS" and they included a Cd both times.
    Jack Johnson gives free itunes with vinyl purchase. I bought Flight of the Conchords vinyl until the sold out.

My biggest awesome! was Bleed American By Jimmy Eat World. I know it's un PJ of me, but I've chased it for over 9 years. I like looking at my Tool Vinyls but I still don't see a reason to play them just yet. :D
    STAYSEA wrote:
    John Lennon's Imagine Is Shite. So is most of Cheech and Chong.

Don't buy Patrick Stump. I can't sell what I never opened, anywhere.

I have Two Same but different issues of El Camino "Black KEYS" and they included a Cd both times.
    Jack Johnson gives free itunes with vinyl purchase. I bought Flight of the Conchords vinyl until the sold out.

My biggest awesome! was Bleed American By Jimmy Eat World. I know it's un PJ of me, but I've chased it for over 9 years. I like looking at my Tool Vinyls but I still don't see a reason to play them just yet. :D

Oh wow ok, you only LOOK at your Tool LP's?? Isn't a good enough reason to listen to them-that there are a whole bunch of great tunes on those records... Hmmm.
    brianlux wrote:
    reesdog wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

That's a tough question! Almost any well kept record (aka vinyl) sounds better than it's CD counterpart and especially any mp3s, etc. to my ears. I've also had better luck with older records in good shape than many new ones.

Lots of great stuff on some of the 60 and 70 labels- Reprise, Vanguard, London, Impulse, Chrysalis.

Brian Eno and Robert Fripp made some great sounding records on Editions EG.

Ace of Hearts Records put out some great sounding records in the 80's, especially the first two Mission of Burma LPs.

Miles Davis LPs on Columbia- oh, some great sounding records there like "In a Silent Way", "Bitches Brew" and the yet to re-acquire "Kind of Blue".

The Who, "Live at Leads"- another great sounding vinyl LP!

That's some great info, really well done that you know which labels back in the day were all about quality vinyl releases. I have one Mile Davies well it's a double, 'Round about Midnight and The New Miles Davis Quintet, sounds soooo good. Was my first and only (so far) Miles Davis record...

http://www.notnowmusic.com/NOT2LP136.htm
    reesdog wrote:

That's some great info, really well done that you know which labels back in the day were all about quality vinyl releases. I have one Mile Davies well it's a double, 'Round about Midnight and The New Miles Davis Quintet, sounds soooo good. Was my first and only (so far) Miles Davis record...

http://www.notnowmusic.com/NOT2LP136.htm

Another great label from the sixties (sorry- I don't mean to get too far off subject) is ESP. The quality of ESP is good not great but what I love about this label was their willingness to take chance with obscure artists such as Sun Ra, Albert Ayler and Marion Brown, all of whom were later recognized as pioneers in avant garde and free jazz. It's not for everyone, but I love the experimentation, expressiveness and freedom of this music. Albert Aylers "Bells" was my first purchase. The album is one piece recorded only on one side of the album, the original of which was on colored vinyl.

DewieCox wrote:
    reesdog wrote:

You're correct about the DSOTM 30th, my favorite pressing of this album by far. I think the Mobile Fidelity pressing is decent, but not as good as this. Also, the packaging is fantastic and was released about 10 years ago.

You have Tool's Aenima on vinyl?! I only have the CD and the only other place I've seen Aenima for purchase was on a New Zealand site here thats similar to Ebay and it was at a ridiculous price, $500NZ! I saw Dewie mentioned this as a great sounding pressing too, man I'd love to hear that one day, wonder if they'll ever reissue it?? They have for Undertow I see...
    reesdog wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

You have Tool's Aenima on vinyl?! I only have the CD and the only other place I've seen Aenima for purchase was on a New Zealand site here thats similar to Ebay and it was at a ridiculous price, $500NZ! I saw Dewie mentioned this as a great sounding pressing too, man I'd love to hear that one day, wonder if they'll ever reissue it?? They have for Undertow I see...

Yes, it's an original pressing. I actually traded my extra copy of Lost Dogs for it. It was from a kind soul on this very forum. I do hope Tool reissues their whole catalog on vinyl, and only if they do it properly.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    My brother bought this for me.
    It's one of the worst hishandinmineCoverx.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    "Wasting Light" might be the best sounding piece of wax I own
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    in my opinion.....

my best sounding vinyls:

Tom Petty--Wildflowers
    George Harrison--All Things Must Pass (1st UK pressing)
    Radiohead--Hail To The Thief
    White Stripes--Icky Thump, Under Great White Northern Lights
    Wilco--Sky Blue Sky
    Pearl Jam--No Code, Yield, Binaural
    Led Zep---they all sound awesome
    M. Ward--Post War
    Elliott Smith--Figure 8
    Brandi Carlile--Live From Benny Hall
    My Morning Jacket--At Dawn
    Queens Of The Stone Age--Self Titled
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:

+1 :thumbup:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

that LP kicks all kinds of ass :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

that LP kicks all kinds of ass :)

Hell Yes it does!!!

26825.gif

I think I'll go spin it right now!
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Hell Yes it does!!!

26825.gif

same here! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Hell Yes it does!!!

26825.gif

same here! 8-)

I'm starting with Side C though to hear some "Mexicola" 8-)
    Heisenberg wrote:
    "Wasting Light" might be the best sounding piece of wax I own

10-16-2014 Detroit