Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    I think my worst sounding vinyl is The Black Keys' The Big Come Up. Sounds like shit - I have to make the volume twice as loud as I do for any other album. None of their vinyl that I've heard sounds any good. I've actually really turned off of the Black Keys since someone gave me some of their albums as a gift.

I think the best sounding vinyl I own is actually all my Joseph Arthur stuff.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Pink Floyd, Meddle is sounding damn good right now.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think my worst sounding vinyl is The Black Keys' The Big Come Up. Sounds like shit - I have to make the volume twice as loud as I do for any other album. None of their vinyl that I've heard sounds any good. I've actually really turned off of the Black Keys since someone gave me some of their albums as a gift.

That's interesting what you say about The Black Keys, have you got/heard Attack & Release on vinyl? I have this one and it sounds pretty good to me...
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options

Nice, is it an original or recent reissue? The old vinyl (60's, 70's), if looked after, sounds really good to my ears...
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:

Nice, is it an original or recent reissue? The old vinyl (60's, 70's), if looked after, sounds really good to my ears...
    it's an oldie but in pretty good shape.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

Yeah, got one off the forum a few months back, from LD forum, and despite it needing a cleaning it sounds damn good.
    reesdog wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

That's interesting what you say about The Black Keys, have you got/heard Attack & Release on vinyl? I have this one and it sounds pretty good to me...

I wasn't blown away with the standard press of Brothers, but when they issued a 45rpm version for RSD that did the trick. Really good sounding record.
  • Options
    These Stone's records sound brilliant, both second-hand originals. More proof that the analog recording process and pressings from the 60's/70's were generally of a high sound quality...

mh976f.jpg
  • Options
    Modern vinyl done right, this sounds great...
    2a3uon.jpg
    This...not so much, one of my fave albums but on vinyl sounds very average. Maybe I shouldn't have got the "reissue".
    11uc17o.jpg
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    ^^^ I have that PJH album on vinyl too reesdog. I LOVE the album but yeah, the vinyl's nice but doesn't add much unfortunately.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,036
    :thumbdown: 61YSkyXT%2BtL._SY300_.jpg

This reissue sounds like crap. It was a Christmas gift from a couple of years ago, purchased from Amazon. I returned it and received another copy, still crappy. Oh well, I still have the cd. The vinyl sounds very scratchy and a little distorted. I do not recommend this, and I love Jane's.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options

This reissue sounds like crap. It was a Christmas gift from a couple of years ago, purchased from Amazon. I returned it and received another copy, still crappy. Oh well, I still have the cd. The vinyl sounds very scratchy and a little distorted. I do not recommend this, and I love Jane's.
    Thats a good heads up, I like Jane's too so will keep clear of that reissue. Any you can recommend that sound brilliant?
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    I'm far from a hardcore audiophile, in that I don't have the most sophisticated equipment (mass-market Sony turntable and receiver, pretty decent JBL speakers), but one LP I love for the sound is the Kill Bill: Volume 1 soundtrack. Since I listen to mostly vinyl at home (and my CDs are all buried in massive binders, so I rarely pull them out), I haven't compared the vinyl and CD quality, but on vinyl the opening song--Nancy Sinatra's "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" floats up out of absolute silence--no room tone, no analog hiss, just...nothing, until that reverb-y guitar starts up. It's really beautiful to hear.

And to the poster above asking/theorizing about Foo Fighters' Wasting Light and the analog sources, that's probably a key component to the sound, but it's also a 45-rpm double-LP, so that helps the audio quality as well.
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,655
    Thirteenth Step by A Perfect Circle sounds horrible. Mer De Noms on the other hand is amazing. Very strange that the same band put out two drastically different sounding records.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    May 30th wrote:
    Thirteenth Step by A Perfect Circle sounds horrible. Mer De Noms on the other hand is amazing. Very strange that the same band put out two drastically different sounding records.

You may have a bad press of 13th Step. All my Maynard related releases are really good sounding, aside from Lateralus picture disc. It's been awhile since I've busted them out, but I'm pretty sure those APC records have a vinyl specific mastering job.
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:

Thats a good heads up, I like Jane's too so will keep clear of that reissue. Any you can recommend that sound brilliant?

As far as Jane's goes, Nothing Shocking sounds very good. Those are my only Jane's albums. Other albums that sound brilliant:
    Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
    Neil Young - everything
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
    Radiohead - all 10" albums
    Prince - most everything, including the 12" singles which sound amazing, ex: Erotic City

....many more that escape me.

Coltrane & Miles also.
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    May 30th wrote:

You may have a bad press of 13th Step. All my Maynard related releases are really good sounding, aside from Lateralus picture disc. It's been awhile since I've busted them out, but I'm pretty sure those APC records have a vinyl specific mastering job.

I agree with Mer De Noms, looking to pick up Thirteenth Step sometime soon.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:

As far as Jane's goes, Nothing Shocking sounds very good. Those are my only Jane's albums. Other albums that sound brilliant:
    Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
    Neil Young - everything
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
    Radiohead - all 10" albums
    Prince - most everything, including the 12" singles which sound amazing, ex: Erotic City

....many more that escape me.

Coltrane & Miles also.
    Nice, which Coltrane? Need to get me some of that cat...
  • Options
    TO: reesdog

Everything I've bought by Coltrane sounds fantastic, mostly re-issues.

Must haves:

A Love Supreme
    Blue Train
    My Favorite Things
    Giant Steps

....these should get you started. Enjoy!!!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    DewieCox wrote:
    May 30th wrote:

I agree with Mer De Noms, looking to pick up Thirteenth Step sometime soon.

I have both of these and think both of them are really noisy and I bought them new.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Best - Radiohead's "In Rainbows"

Worst - Dad's copy of Led Zeppelin's Zoso. Only because it has been wore the fuck out!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Best - Radiohead's "In Rainbows"

Worst - Dad's copy of Led Zeppelin's Zoso. Only because it has been wore the fuck out!
    Thats funny regarding the Led Zep, it happens!

Yes to the In Rainbows (one of my all time fave albums, so good!), apparently there is a deluxe vinyl edition available spread out over 2 lp's, is this your one? I'd like to get that one day...
  • Options

Must haves:

A Love Supreme
    Blue Train
    My Favorite Things
    Giant Steps

I will look into it, thanks Wil, great stuff.
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:

Must haves:

A Love Supreme
    Blue Train
    My Favorite Things
    Giant Steps

I will look into it, thanks Wil, great stuff.

You're welcome!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Original: U2 - Achtung Baby
    3583zmt.jpg
    This record sounds really good, also nice that it's on one disc and not spread out over two like most releases seem to be these day's. Just a nice clear, warm sound that really shows off the production of the album and instruments.
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    I would kill for that record. :P
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    U2 has great sounding albums. I picked up War at a junk shop not too long ago - the jacket is THRASHED - all puffy from water damage and everything - but after a cleaning, the vinyl sounds GREAT. I just asked them to give it to me for free because the jacket was so damaged, so they did. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Got this quite recently and am very impressed with the sound quality. It's cut at 45 rpm which I have noticed on other bands releases does actually make a record sound better than at 33rpm. Beck obviously is a vinyl guy, his stuff always sounds superb... Recommended.
    6izlgj.jpg
  • Options
    A true classic right here and one I had to hear on vinyl after so many years of CD and MP3 versions. A noticeable difference in quality with booming base, crisp beats and nice, clear atmospherics. Recommended.
    25jig5i.jpg
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    reesdog wrote:
    A true classic right here and one I had to hear on vinyl after so many years of CD and MP3 versions. A noticeable difference in quality with booming base, crisp beats and nice, clear atmospherics. Recommended.
    25jig5i.jpg
    Oooh yeah I can imagine that album would be nice in vinyl. Cool. Might have to add it to my 'keep an eye out for' list. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    reesdog wrote:
    25jig5i.jpg
    Oooh yeah I can imagine that album would be nice in vinyl. Cool. Might have to add it to my 'keep an eye out for' list. :)
    I don't think you'll find it in any shops around here Morello, I was looking for quite a while and ending up going the Ebay route... You might get lucky though!