Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Queens Of The Stone Age--Self Titled

+1 :thumbup:

that LP kicks all kinds of ass :)

Hell to the yes, that LP is a monster! Very strong release from these guys, so what's up with the crappy Rated R?? Self-titled is my personal fave by them, really like how they just lock in a groove on songs like 'Walking on the Sidewalks' and Mexicola and bang it out. I like that album so much my quote at the bottom of my posts is from it!
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    "Wasting Light" might be the best sounding piece of wax I own

Really? The Foo's last release right... Do you have alot of vinyl? A surprising choice but I'm sure it sounds good as it was recorded in Analog on that old Sound City mixing desk so i've read.
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    My brother bought this for me.
    It's one of the worst hishandinmineCoverx.jpg

Haha! That can't be so, it's in "Living Stereo"..... ;)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,673
    reesdog wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    My brother bought this for me.
    It's one of the worst hishandinmineCoverx.jpg

Haha! That can't be so, it's in "Living Stereo"..... ;)

Tell your bro RCA LPS don't fair well with nickles stacked on the stylus! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Got me some new Neil....once again he does the business on vinyl, the record was made in 1974, Near Mint condition, still sounds crisp and clear.
    11c63w4.jpg
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    reesdog wrote:
    Nice one Dewie, thats a great heads up on quite a few records.

Wilco I have to agree, I have 2 of theirs and they sound fantastic.
    Pink Floyd I don't have any yet, the 30th Anniversary version does it have the original artwork or is it the one that's different to the usual?
    Led Zep, hell yeah, those old records still sound awesome if looked after well.
    Radiohead, is Amnesiac a quality recording like Kid A? I just picked this up today...

I think the DSOTM 30th has the original artwork and goodies. If you find a new copy of it it has flyer(?) as part of the packaging that clearly marks it as the 30th anniversary on the outside. It's not the most recent reissue, which I've heard mixed reviews of, but a standalone from, I guess 10 years ago.

I have Amnesiac, but I'm not as familiar with it. 9x outta 10 I reach for Kid A when I want that particular Radiohead sound. I think the rest of their albums from this century sound really good on vinyl, but Pablo, Bends, and OK Comp, while solid, don't blow me away.

Yep Radiohead did pretty damn well here, Amnesiac sounds fucking amazing. I keep returning to the track Dollars and Cents...wow!
    2yopoar.jpg
  • Options
    This is one of my favorite pieces of wax, and my fave album by Nirvana, even above Nevermind. I had it on tape when I was younger, then CD and always played it, never tiring of hearing it, so it was a give-in that I'd get in once I started with the vinyl. Glad I did, this blew my mind, fucking hell! They got they whole live in the studio sound down perfectly on this, Dave's drum's are immense! Everything about it sounds great, such a full on assault of the ears, love it.
    2rw02gn.jpg

If you want to hear something that sounds really good that was recorded fairly recently (the last 2 or 3 years) then you can't go wrong with this, Skying by The Horrors. They are quite a young band but they love vinyl and collect alot themselves, so they made sure the vinyl version of this release would be of high quality. Recommended.
    smvltt.jpg
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    My worst Wax Item
    tumblr_lldlxwDHz91qduddxo1_400.jpg

Local vinyl traders won't even give me a dollar and It's Mint! Unopened
    :lol:
  • Options
    My personal favorite of all time?

0.jpg

I get chills when I play it.

Good night, all.
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    John Lennon's Imagine Is Shite. So is most of Cheech and Chong.

Don't buy Patrick Stump. I can't sell what I never opened, anywhere.

I have Two Same but different issues of El Camino "Black KEYS" and they included a Cd both times.
    Jack Johnson gives free itunes with vinyl purchase. I bought Flight of the Conchords vinyl until the sold out.

My biggest awesome! was Bleed American By Jimmy Eat World. I know it's un PJ of me, but I've chased it for over 9 years. I like looking at my Tool Vinyls but I still don't see a reason to play them just yet. :D

Oh wow ok, you only LOOK at your Tool LP's?? Isn't a good enough reason to listen to them-that there are a whole bunch of great tunes on those records... Hmmm.

I don't trust my needle around certain records... I need to go shopping.
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:

0.jpg

Good night, all.

What is that, Xmas single?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,673
    These three records form a great Chicago Blues collection and if your patient, each can still be found on original vinyl for a reasonable price. The music and the sound are first rate!

*(By the way, reesdog, in your photos, I noticed the quality clear sleeves over your record covers. Well done!)*

Ch2_zps5861197d.jpg
    Ch1_zps07a7aad4.jpg
    Ch3_zpse3875e4c.jpg
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I got this GEM for 25 cents! I cherish it every day

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVAFrJzksXsvvab3DOXIHVPOlhh5G4FuBnOv6XPywC9CNd3bvrTA
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:

0.jpg

Good night, all.

What is that, Xmas single?

I think so... It's so old and worn out, and I can't remember if it was from the club or not.
    I still try to play it backwards on the B side from time to time. :lol:
  • Options
    STAYSEA wrote:
    I got this GEM for 25 cents! I cherish it every day

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVAFrJzksXsvvab3DOXIHVPOlhh5G4FuBnOv6XPywC9CNd3bvrTA
    ...:sick:
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    These three records form a great Chicago Blues collection and if your patient, each can still be found on original vinyl for a reasonable price. The music and the sound are first rate!

*(By the way, reesdog, in your photos, I noticed the quality clear sleeves over your record covers. Well done!)

Thanks Brian, those sleeves are very cheap, about 50 Cents NZ each. You know, buying vinyl isn't the cheapest interest so I don't mind paying a little more for sleeves that I know will make those records last for years if protected well. Too easy.

By the way, the 3 photo's you posted didn't upload, try this site for uploading, works for me... http://tinypic.com/
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    in my opinion.....

my best sounding vinyls:

Tom Petty--Wildflowers
    George Harrison--All Things Must Pass (1st UK pressing)
    Radiohead--Hail To The Thief
    White Stripes--Icky Thump, Under Great White Northern Lights
    Wilco--Sky Blue Sky
    Pearl Jam--No Code, Yield, Binaural
    Led Zep---they all sound awesome
    M. Ward--Post War
    Elliott Smith--Figure 8
    Brandi Carlile--Live From Benny Hall
    My Morning Jacket--At Dawn
    Queens Of The Stone Age--Self Titled

Nice list, do you think Hail to the Thief is the best sounding of all the Radiohead on vinyl?

Any records that you think sound crap and should avoid?
  • Options
    Two quality sounding records right here...

nx2eya.jpg
    2d8js7k.jpg
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    reesdog wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

*(By the way, reesdog, in your photos, I noticed the quality clear sleeves over your record covers. Well done!)

Thanks Brian, those sleeves are very cheap, about 50 Cents NZ each. You know, buying vinyl isn't the cheapest interest so I don't mind paying a little more for sleeves that I know will make those records last for years if protected well. Too easy.

By the way, the 3 photo's you posted didn't upload, try this site for uploading, works for me... http://tinypic.com/
    Hey where do you get the plastic sleeve things from? I need to get some extra ones. I just take them off crappier vinyl for decent new vinyl but I'm going to run out of crappy stuff one day so it'd be good to just pick some up. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    reesdog wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Hey where do you get the plastic sleeve things from? I need to get some extra ones. I just take them off crappier vinyl for decent new vinyl but I'm going to run out of crappy stuff one day so it'd be good to just pick some up. :)
    Hey, I just buy them at Real Groovey, they sell the outer sleeves in bundles of 10, 20 or 50 and a whole lot of different ones for the inner sleeves, pretty good prices too, cheap I would say. You can buy them online too, Trademe has them...
  • Options
    ^^^^ Ah cool. I've never noticed them at Real Groovy. I'll check them out, hmmmm except probably safer & cheaper to order online vs going into the store eh? ;)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    In no particular order..

The Who - Quadrophenia - 200 gram "Classic Records" issue
    Beck - Sea Change - MoFi issue
    Beach Boys - Pet Sounds - "Direct Compact Classics" (Steve Hoffman remaster)
    Peter Gabriel - So AND Up - 200 gram "Classic Records" issues
    Steely Dan - Aja - "Cisco Music" 30th Anniversary remaster
    ~~~~~~~Vinyl For Sale (shipping costs in North America included)~~~~~~~
    The Who - Phases Box Set. Ltd. Ed. All 9 studio albums w/ Moon (11 discs) $200
    ^discogs entry link^
    Peter Gabriel - Up 200 gram 'Classic Records' audiophile version. Sealed. $225
    ^discogs entry link^
    Van Halen - I 180 gram Remastered 'DCC Compact Classic' version. Ltd. Ed. (#53!). Sealed. $175
    ^discogs entry link^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    In no particular order..

The Who - Quadrophenia - 200 gram "Classic Records" issue
    Beck - Sea Change - MoFi issue
    Beach Boys - Pet Sounds - "Direct Compact Classics" (Steve Hoffman remaster)
    Peter Gabriel - So AND Up - 200 gram "Classic Records" issues
    Steely Dan - Aja - "Cisco Music" 30th Anniversary remaster

Some really nice choices there, I've always wanted that Sea Change on vinyl, but its not cheap. Worth getting you think?
  • Options
    This sounds rad...
    11u9fo6.jpg
  • Options
    One of the best sounding live albums in my collection...
    2ni7ifp.jpg
  • Options
    A classic, this is a reissue, but very pleased with the sound quality...
    2jfhyjb.jpg
  • Options
    ^^^^ PNYC is a fucken great album & I imagine it would sound FAB on vinyl!
    <hr>
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    Yeah it does, it's my fave from Portishead too, so good. Do you have any records you rate or hate for their sound quality?
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    One of the best sounding live albums in my collection...
    2ni7ifp.jpg
    I am always on the look out for this album!!!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    morello wrote:
    Yeah it does, it's my fave from Portishead too, so good. Do you have any recors you rate or hate for their sound quality?
    Tbh I don't actually spin my vinyl enough to have an opinion on this. :o I gotta say though the Ten, Vs & Vitalogy I got recently definitely had the WOW vinyl factor where the Backspacer didn't but that's probably old news to vinyl aficionados around here.
    <hr>