Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Well you better blast that shit Frank, let us know how it's sounding..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    edited January 2016
    dudeman said:

reesdog said:

My CD copy of the Bends sounds better than my vinyl - I can here the drums!!!

I agree with this comment Buck, that's how I first heard The Bends was on CD and it sounded great. I got The Bends and the Foo Fighters first CD for my 21st birthday way back in 1995 when they were first released. They got played a lot.. :)
    Me too. CD's are a little out of vogue right now but there a lot of bands/studios that made excellent use of the format.

IMO, by the early to mid '90's, the art of recording, mixing and mastering for CD was largely perfected.

Some CD's just sound better than their vinyl counterparts.
    So true, unfortunately..
    i am re-sleeving all my records and busted out Gish original version from Hut 1991.
    sounds a little flat. i remember that they mastered it from digital. so many original 90s records suffer from this. Neil Young even predicted that for certain years that people were recording digitally that we would never hear a "great" version of that album. IE: a truly analogue recording.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    It goes both ways, I guess. Alice Cooper's "Killer" sounds terrible on CD and glorious on vinyl but I'd take just about every Radiohead album on CD over the LP.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

I agree with this comment Buck, that's how I first heard The Bends was on CD and it sounded great. I got The Bends and the Foo Fighters first CD for my 21st birthday way back in 1995 when they were first released. They got played a lot.. :)
    Me too. CD's are a little out of vogue right now but there a lot of bands/studios that made excellent use of the format.

IMO, by the early to mid '90's, the art of recording, mixing and mastering for CD was largely perfected.

So true, unfortunately..
    i am re-sleeving all my records and busted out Gish original version from Hut 1991.
    sounds a little flat. i remember that they mastered it from digital. so many original 90s records suffer from this. Neil Young even predicted that for certain years that people were recording digitally that we would never hear a "great" version of that album. IE: a truly analogue recording.
    Good point lolobugg, I have 2 versions of Gish on vinyl, have never listened to them side by side to compare them though. Think I'll do that, usually the original's come out on top..
  • Options
    reesdog said:

lolobugg said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

So true, unfortunately..
    Good point lolobugg, I have 2 versions of Gish on vinyl, have never listened to them side by side to compare them though. Think I'll do that, usually the original's come out on top..
    let me know, Rees
    because Billy was so adamant about remastering it around 1994... that is prob the better version.
    i might have to hit up Discogs after all these years.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    dudeman said:

It goes both ways, I guess. Alice Cooper's "Killer" sounds terrible on CD and glorious on vinyl but I'd take just about every Radiohead album on CD over the LP.

Really? Which ones do you think sound better on LP, Hail To The Thief for sure right? I listened to Kid A - Capitol reissue the other night and that sounded superb too.. I guess a lot of it depends on which pressings you have..

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    reesdog said:

I guess a lot of it depends on which pressings you have..

I think the equipment you are listening to it on, is also very important when giving sound reviews.

• Options
    I will throw my 2 cents in.
    Kid A- Capital reissue on 10 inch sounds amazing.....
    The Bends- I prefer the OG Parlophone release over the Capital repressing...
    i haven't listened to the CDs in years so i couldn't tell you a damn thing about CD vs. Vinyl

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    reesdog said:

dudeman said:

Really? Which ones do you think sound better on LP, Hail To The Thief for sure right? I listened to Kid A - Capitol reissue the other night and that sounded superb too.. I guess a lot of it depends on which pressings you have..

I have Capitol reissues. I wouldn't say that any of them sound bad, just not as good as the CD's, IMO.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    MedozK said:

reesdog said:

I guess a lot of it depends on which pressings you have..

I think the equipment you are listening to it on, is also very important when giving sound reviews.
    Absolutely right, MedozK..

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Listening to Fleetwood Mac Rumors and S/T original presses today - and have to say they are awesome.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,982
    Pretty sure that the Capitol RH reissues have mixed reviews for quality. Apparently when they came out, they were new cuts sourced from CDs. Over the past few years the Capitol plates have been swapped out for the Parlophone plates. So a lot of the stock out there is mixed.

IMO the Parlophone pressings are top notch and better than the CDs. I can't speak to the Parlophone Capitol pressings though, but I have read that people love them.
  • Options

Listening to Fleetwood Mac Rumors and S/T original presses today - and have to say they are awesome.

Nice, original's from that era, the 60's, pretty much always sound awesome, no digital recording techniques back then, only analogue..
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Best sounding Fleetwood Mac Rumors I have heard is the 2LP 45RPM Analogue Productions.....great sounding record if you don't mind the extra flipping.
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2016
    reesdog said:

I just finished blasting it…sounds great, real clear. Good distinction between instruments/vocals. Never heard this album, until now :)

On a VPI Scout TT
    QOTSA Rated X Label: Interscope licensed to UK 2000 purchased from soundstagedirect.com
    Post edited by FrankY59 on
  • Options
    FrankY59 said:

reesdog said:

I just finished blasting it…sounds great, real clear. Good distinction between instruments/vocals. Never heard this album, until now :)

On a VPI Scout TT
    QOTSA Rated X Label: Interscope licensed to UK 2000 purchased from soundstagedirect.com
    You'd never heard Rated R before at all?? Great album, one of QOTSA's best..

• Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    edited January 2016

I was pretty narrow minded with music until I got into vinyl collecting a couple years back...but I got a lifetime to catch up!
  • Options
    FrankY59 said:

I was pretty narrow minded with music until I got into vinyl collecting a couple years back...but I got a lifetime to catch up!

Very true, there's so much good stuff out there. I kind of envy you in a way, you'll be discovering a lot of great music...
  • Options
    Listened to In Rainbows today - TBD USA press pretty good - anyone have a UK/EURO version?
  • Options

Listened to In Rainbows today - TBD USA press pretty good - anyone have a UK/EURO version?

Yes I have the UK pressing, great album, actually I'd go close to saying my favourite album ever. The pressing I have sounds really good, but apparently the best sounding version is this one... http://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-In-Rainbows/release/1158751
  • Options
    Yeah, the discobox sounds phenomenal. But I also have the TBD version and that is also very good.

Stay away from the US pressing of KOL, thats crap. I mean really bad. Track down the 2x10" version instead.

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,769

Yeah, the discobox sounds phenomenal. But I also have the TBD version and that is also very good.

Stay away from the US pressing of KOL, thats crap. I mean really bad. Track down the 2x10" version instead.

I have both Aha and Youth on ten inch and they sound great!
    I also have Aha on white vinyl(variant cover) and it still sounds good.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    RobbyD462 said:

Not a 100% sure, but think he meant KOL as in King of Limbs, not Kings of Leon. Still good info thanks Robby..
  • Options
    I never really got into king of limbs - too bleeply bloppy for me - really like Kid A though
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

I never really got into king of limbs - too bleeply bloppy for me - really like Kid A though

exactly the same here, beside Lotus Flower the rest just seemed boring

love Kid A
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,769
    reesdog said:

RobbyD462 said:

Not a 100% sure, but think he meant KOL as in King of Limbs, not Kings of Leon. Still good info thanks Robby..
    Whoops.
    I play my 12" King of Limbs and have a Newspaper edition still sealed but 10" 45rpm always sound good so I could see that.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    Yeah King of Limbs.
  • Options
    Got it last month and finally listening to it... The Vault 5 on LP 1 and it sounds amazing.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    reesdog said:

DewieCox said:

Yeah, there's something up with the info and pic at the website. I read a detailed description of the different versions and a few people said that they ordered from ccmusic and got the great sounding pressing. Some differences in the matrix and the album art is very slightly different.

Just checked and the coupon code still works for 20% off on order over $50.....jan1650 is the actual code

Fair enough. I'd be interested to find out if the version you end up with does sound decent as I had the one with that same catalog number and it sounded pretty bad...

Just checking back in....I got this and it sounds great. Seems to have good dynamics, some good separation and no static or noise aside from the occasional pop that lets you know it's wax.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

reesdog said:

DewieCox said:

Yeah, there's something up with the info and pic at the website. I read a detailed description of the different versions and a few people said that they ordered from ccmusic and got the great sounding pressing. Some differences in the matrix and the album art is very slightly different.

Just checked and the coupon code still works for 20% off on order over $50.....jan1650 is the actual code

Fair enough. I'd be interested to find out if the version you end up with does sound decent as I had the one with that same catalog number and it sounded pretty bad...

Just checking back in....I got this and it sounds great. Seems to have good dynamics, some good separation and no static or noise aside from the occasional pop that lets you know it's wax.
    QOTSA Rated R??