Options

Vinyl _____ Show your best/worst sounding!

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Yep....well....Rated X
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Glad you got a decent one, those muddied ones out there suck balls..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,972
    Back to black version of Nirvana unplugged - awful.

It was really dirty when I took the vinyl out, no new vinyl should ever be in that condition. Bad pressing too, doesn't play well even after I gave it a good clean.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    tino_11 said:

It was really dirty when I took the vinyl out, no new vinyl should ever be in that condition. Bad pressing too, doesn't play well even after I gave it a good clean.

That sucks, can you take it back? I have an ORG Music pressing from 2011, sounds fucking good..

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,770
    reesdog said:

tino_11 said:

That sucks, can you take it back? I have an ORG Music pressing from 2011, sounds fucking good..

Yeah bud :(I have a Simply Vinyl press and it's incredible.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    Ray Lamontagne-Ouroboros...my first foray into his material. Really nice musically and a lot of atmosphere. Perfect type of music for vinyl and really well done

Dave Mason-Alone Together...bought this on a whim. Had good reviews and its $10 or less at various online shops. A legit audiophile level release, for that price? I'd buy about anything for the $6 I paid at acousticsounds.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,983
    I couldn't find the thread for the reissue, but man does the Superunknown reissue sound awful. Mine is all tinny and a bit brick walled. Awful.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494

I couldn't find the thread for the reissue, but man does the Superunknown reissue sound awful. Mine is all tinny and a bit brick walled. Awful.

I think it sounds really good.
  • Options
    hinsey21hinsey21 Posts: 582
    edited March 2016

Yeah that's interesting you say that Tim, Usually I find you are spot on about these type of things. My copy sounds real good, like very good. Of course I don't have an original to compare and I haven't listened to the cd in years.
    Post edited by hinsey21 on
  • Options
    hinsey21 said:

Yeah that's interesting you say that Tim, Usually I find you are spot on about these type of things. My copy sounds real good, like very good. Of course I don't have an original to compare and I haven't listened to the cd in years.
    I have a clear copy that sounds as good if not better than my cd from 1994.

• Options
    Yeah, I threw it on yesterday and was surprised because I thought when it came out it was sounded good and posted about it (hence me looking for the original thread). Unless my cart is out of alignment, i thought it sounded awful.
  • Options
    Yeah, I just did a quick test. I think its brickwalled to shit. The vinyl itself is perfect. Flat quiet. But Matts cymbals are all tinney and the guitar crunch just gets crackly which I believe are signs of brickwalling.

Too double check I took my test LPs (Miles Davis - Kind of Blue mono pressing and Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup duophonic pressing) and they sound crisp as fuck. So its not my setup.

• Options
    Yeah, I've stayed away from Superunknown for the mastering issues I've read about in most reviews. I don't think King Animal is anything special either. Haven't listened to Telephantasm much...maybe I'll queue it up and check it out.

Sometimes when you want something to sound good, that loudness will work, but then later you revisit the same album a lot of the shortcomings really show up. It's human nature to listen with your eyes almost as much as your ears.
  • Options
    Totally.
  • Options
    According to Discogs, 2 different pressings done, mastered in two different places. Any thoughts on that?
  • Options
    There's a pressing from 2004(320 in the dead wax) that supposedly sounds the best. All the others seem to be a pressing of the cd master and that wouldn't bode well for the 2014 reissue.

Shame that they didn't do it up right every time. They took the steps to make an all analog pressing, then skipped the last step.
  • Options
    So you haven't heard it then?
  • Options
    No....plenty of other great sounding records for the money and Soundgarden isn't a band I reach for real often. If it was more reasonably priced, I might take a chance on it. I've paid enough for average to poor sounding vinyl for my lifetime. Ive put a lot of stock in online reviews, more recently and making informed decisions has done wonders for my vinyl collection.
  • Options
    hinsey21 said:

If it sounds great to your ears, then go with it. Don't sweat my opinion.
  • Options

hinsey21 said:

If it sounds great to your ears, then go with it. Don't sweat my opinion.
    Oh no, totally. If i listened to all the opinions I have heard about records on various forums there would be a lot of records I didn't own that I really enjoy. Records are very subjective and are dependent on so many different issues. Like I said you are usually spot on in what you say about various records and pressings so I was just surprised.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I thought the Superunknown box from RSD from a few years back sounded pretty good to me - maybe time for a re-visit
  • Options
    I have the 2014 reissue of Superunknown too, I like it, sounds pretty good to these ears, nice separation of instruments, just different. But, if you're used to the sound of the original CD like me which sounded perfect, then the vinyl version is distinctly different. Seems the bass is up more in the mix and the vocals too on the last reissue, which means the guitars and drums are pushed back a bit, so different, but still good. And, much better than a brand new copy I brought off Ebay about 5 years ago that I later found out was a bootleg, sounded absolutely terrible.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,594
    edited March 2016

Yeah, I just did a quick test. I think its brickwalled to shit. The vinyl itself is perfect. Flat quiet. But Matts cymbals are all tinney and the guitar crunch just gets crackly which I believe are signs of brickwalling.

Too double check I took my test LPs (Miles Davis - Kind of Blue mono pressing and Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup duophonic pressing) and they sound crisp as fuck. So its not my setup.

Shitty. I never bought it because I thought they overpriced it and I was mad about it, lol. I did get that 10" Superunknown RSD boxset though, and luckily that sounds very good (despite the utterly ridiculous remix of Spoonman that's included on it, hahaha). It also has the worst packaging of any boxset i have ever seen. I feel like it wouldn't have been too much worse if it had been made of napkins, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,677
    edited March 2016
    Nevermind, German Pallas pressing is excellent. I've owned a few different ones and this is dead quiet and has a nice bottom end. .

Neil Young Massey Hall is probably my highest quality. Of course the cd is phenomenal too.
  • Options
    Massive Attack ‎- Heligoland.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    This record sounds absolutely amazing, so much sonic depth, bass and vocals are so clear and distinctive, the album is synth heavy of course too. This comes with a couple of remix's of the album tracks that sound fantastic as a bonus.
  • Options
    After some chat on these boards regarding the Nirvana - Nevermind pressings I thought I'd do my own comparison tests...

I recently brought the Nirvana - Nevermind 2013 Pallas version...
    https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Nevermind/release/4819086
    to compare to my Nevermind 20th Anniversary 4LP edition...
    https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Nevermind/release/3124989

To my surprise I could not hear any discernible difference between the two pressings. I was under the illusion the Pallas version would be the definitive sounding pressing, so thought I must hear this and compare. Well I always thought the 20th anniversary edition sounded superb, but was expecting the 2013 pressing to sound better as I'd read so many great comments about it, but no difference here, both sound absolutely wonderful, great separation and I'd highly recommend either of these two pressings... :)
  • Options
    reesdog said:

After some chat on these boards regarding the Nirvana - Nevermind pressings I thought I'd do my own comparison tests...

To my surprise I could not hear any discernible difference between the two pressings. I was under the illusion the Pallas version would be the definitive sounding pressing, so thought I must hear this and compare. Well I always thought the 20th anniversary edition sounded superb, but was expecting the 2013 pressing to sound better as I'd read so many great comments about it, but no difference here, both sound absolutely wonderful, great separation and I'd highly recommend either of these two pressings... :)

Not being elitist and I'm not doubting you, but more curious. Equipment does make a difference. Can you share what your TT, amp and speakers?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

Not being elitist and I'm not doubting you, but more curious. Equipment does make a difference. Can you share what your TT, amp and speakers?
    When I did my test I used

Black Ortofon Cartridge
    Acry-lit platter
    Project speed box
    Project debut 2 turntable
    Marantz amp
    Monster cable high performance bi wire
    Bowers and Wilkens tower speakers

• Options
    edited April 2016
    RobbyD462 said:

mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

Black Ortofon Cartridge
    Acry-lit platter
    Project speed box
    Marantz amp
    That's a nice setup. Which B&W's? Your setup is close to mine, although mine are bi-amped rather than bi-wire... still not sure it makes a big difference.. I'm using 683 S2.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

RobbyD462 said:

mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

Black Ortofon Cartridge
    Acry-lit platter
    Project speed box
    Marantz amp
    That's a nice setup. Which B&W's? Your setup is close to mine, although mine are bi-amped rather than bi-wire... still not sure it makes a big difference.. I'm using 683 S2.
    Thank you
    Not sure if the model number but I find out.
    They are silver and mustard(darker yellow)with wood cases.
    Heavy to move lol
    Each tower has
    2 subs 8s I think
    1 mid 8 I think too yellow with cone
    1 amazing tweeter on top