Options

***Berlin Fanviews Here 23/09/06***

Comments

• Options
    Thought it was an awesome show. Very tough set-list, especially for the beginning of the show - pure rockers. Lots of peaks; Black (incredibly long solo and fade out), Even flow (yeah!! - and the stage lights up the entire crowd as always), Alive, Come back and Believe in miracles (dedicated to Ramone), Elderly woman (HELLO - with 17.000 pair of hands reaching for the stage), Last kiss (all clapping the rhytm - xx - x -), Baby O´Reily, Crazy Mary, Do the evolution etc.

Great venue - the weather was great, the band was awesome (haven´t seen Jeff this ass-kicking in years) and the crowd just loved Boom. Eddie sang better than ever, drank more red wine than ever and tried out in German - hillarious! It seemed that the band had a blast and that they could play all night long if it weren´t for the fact that they had to save breath for the rest of the tour.

Very long solos (especially in Black) and they played one of my absolute favourites - Footsteps - thanks to whoever requested the song. You could see the entire stage and from where I was standing it was great to watch the whole inner area move as one during the sing-along songs (all songs?).Nice that the set list gave way of Corduroy for a change to another song.

The crowd was as good as ever, (even better at singing than the Italians what ever that means - were they any good?) and totally in to it. Germans rock? I guess more than half the crowd was from other parts of Europe and the world.

The only thing missing from making this a 100% perfect night was a switch of Green Disease to one from Vitalogy (Immortality or Betterman perhaps). And please don´t ever play Yellow Ledbetter again for the simple reason that that way a concert never stops.

Can´t wait for the band to state that they will play in Denmark some time soon...
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    Uhm hey,

whoever got my letter to Ed I attached to the mask I threw on stage... (I'm sure it wasn't someone from germany, there were almost no germans in the front rows...) please let it be my choice to publish what i wrote. Its weird enough for me, that a stranger got that thing anyway. Its nothing that can't be said openly, but... well it still is a letter, heh.
    Was a stupid idea anyway.

Thanks, nicole
  • Options
    redladyredlady Posts: 602
    Well every one is saying i wanna hear this song and that but
    For me everything was great... i saw and heared them it doesen't matter to me what they play aslong as they are on stage and to there thing it's HEAVEN for me...we don't get the oppertunity to see them that often...so i grab anny chanche just to see them even if it only was 2 times this tour Antwerp and Berlin....maybe next year going to see them more if they come over ofcourse....
    greetz Sonja
    Pukkelpop '95 Neil Young with Pearl Jam without EV
    Antwerp 30-08-2006
    Berlin 23-09-2006
    Rock Werchter 29-06-2007
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010
    Rock Werchter 04-07-2010
  • Options
    deep_schismicdeep_schismic Bremen, Germany Posts: 158
    He was consistent with the camera policy, he wanted to check your camera. Your camera was big and bulky and looked like a decent SLR to me, but I don’t know cameras. The first time he came up to you, he said “Let me see your camera”, no aggression, just stoney faced professional security. You responded by running away and making sure he couldn’t see your camera. You said you’d put it away in your bag, which you never did. He wanted to look at your camera… civilly… and you responded by looking like you knew you were in the wrong. So the guys respond by assuming you are wrong…. Don’t look guilty and they won’t assume guilt.
    He actually said, "Hand over your camera". To which I responded "Why? I was allowed to bring this camera in, I showed it to the guards when I came in." To which he replied, "Give me that camera, I insist." The only impression I got was he wanted to take my camera. I lied to him, because from past experience these guys don't really care about what you have to say, and most of them enjoy their little power trips, even if you are being totally rational with them. And that's what I had a problem with (hence the negativity and expletive comments, which were obviously not made in a rational state of mind).
    You are the one who didn’t do what you were told… so they responded badly. You didn’t show them respect. You kept saying you would put the camera away but continued to take photos, so lay off the guys who are looking after us out there. You are actually giving the security a reason to be wankers when they weren’t. You are encouraging bad security with bad tempers…

Bottom line: I did not feel that I was in the wrong, but I knew that didn't mean shit to these guys. My motive for taking photos were the same as everyone else in that venue who were flashin cameras.. because a) it's something I enjoy doing and I am somewhat good at and b) I love Pearl Jam and if I got some good photos I could share (share, not sell) them other people who love the band (i.e. such as yourself). It's just disappointing to think I had to feel like an asshole for doing something I love. I had waited 3 1/2 years to see them a 2nd time, and although the show was great, it was marred with this crap. That's why I was angry (and at the time I thought I got duped for 50 euros for basically being a decent human being and getting my extra ticket to someone else who didn't have one).
    In terms of the crowd being “largely pushy and elbowy”, you’re the one who was shouting to get through to the front cos you were taking photos, like it gives you some sort of extra privilege. I generally thought the crowd were pretty well behaved.

Well you either didn't understand what I asked you, or chose to ignore me...because I just asked "Hey would you mind if I squeezed through for a little bit to grab a few shots?" This might be somewhat hard for you to believe, but in the past I have asked people who are taller than me, or kind of blocking my view if I can get through for a few pictures, and then move back--usually people are happy to oblige and ask me if they can have some of my pics since I have a better camera. I have had other people ask me if I could move over a bit, etc. so they can get a shot, and I willingly oblige. I never once thought that having a better camera gave me "extra privilege". Everyone there paid for a ticket and had as much right as anyone else to be there so it doesn't hurt with this little act of decency for another concert-goer. Like if someone next to you falls down, you help them up, or if they want to get out, you give them a boost. As I have said, I've been to a lot of other shows with way more aggressive moshpits, and I've never had a more painful exerience with takin photos.
    I am the "Scottish dude with the stupid hat"…. You pushed forward until you were standing behind me. You chose that space. Don’t complain your view is blocked. I am 6’4”. The hat adds very little to my height, it’s the hat I’ve been known for the whole tour, I get a wave from Mike, Ed, Jeff and Stone… and it makes my night… If I take it off, I don not shrink to a midget, blame my height, don't blame the hat.... Deal with it…. Sometimes I get stuck behind tall people too(I'm not overly tall for the Netherlands), it’s annoying… but until they measure you on the way in and have everyone stand in order of height. I am not going to feel guilty for obstructing a view that you chose.

These are the thoughts of the 8 or so people that were around me. I’m not alone here….

As I said, I was venting. I didn't choose to be stuck behind you the whole show, and tried on many attempts to move across where I wasn't obstructed, but found it rather impossible. and then halfway through, I get some dude who just squeezed and decided he wouldn't give a crap that he nearly elbowed me in the eye--hence the elbowy crowd comment. I guess that's my fault though for expecting a more mellow crowd for PJ. In comparison, the death metal gigs i've been to make it seem like it was an opera crowd was in attendance.
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • Options
    I wasn’t going to respond, but I think I need to prevent your words doing damage to future gigs. The security were nothing but nice, but this guy didn’t show them enough respect, so he got the rough end of things… Respect the Pearl Jam security. They are all nice guys, who do their best to look after your safety. Do as you are told and they will be really good to you. I have had no experience in the whole tour of any of them doing something as a control freak or anything else. Just good stoney faced professionalism

Yeah you’re clearly pissed off etc. I understand that. But please don’t shout swear and rant about the “nazi motherfucking security guards”. They guys you circle in the photo were all very friendly to me. The guy with the long grey hair and the rings(the one you convey a huge “FUCK YOU, suck my dick,” to)… I wouldn’t have said was out of order. He was consistent with the camera policy, he wanted to check your camera. Your camera was big and bulky and looked like a decent SLR to me, but I don’t know cameras. The first time he came up to you, he said “Let me see your camera”, no aggression, just stoney faced professional security. You responded by running away and making sure he couldn’t see your camera. You said you’d put it away in your bag, which you never did. He wanted to look at your camera… civilly… and you responded by looking like you knew you were in the wrong. So the guys respond by assuming you are wrong…. Don’t look guilty and they won’t assume guilt.

Now you are ranting on the security, who I have huge respect for, which results in other people thinking they are wankers and turning up to the next gig, expecting aggression, which makes their job harder and decreases the likelihood that they’ll pick a plectrum, pick up your stupid hat when it falls off, pass you out water…. Organise for Czech security to find somewhere to put your rucksack when there’s no cloakroom. All in all you are attacking people who have been extremely friendly to me throughout the tour. You are the one who didn’t do what you were told… so they responded badly. You didn’t show them respect. You kept saying you would put the camera away but continued to take photos, so lay off the guys who are looking after us out there. You are actually giving the security a reason to be wankers when they weren’t. You are encouraging bad security with bad tempers…

In terms of the crowd being “largely pushy and elbowy”, you’re the one who was shouting to get through to the front cos you were taking photos, like it gives you some sort of extra privilege. I generally thought the crowd were pretty well behaved.

“and I had the wonderful luck of ending up behind a scottish dude with a stupid hat who blocked half my view”

I am the "Scottish dude with the stupid hat"…. You pushed forward until you were standing behind me. You chose that space. Don’t complain your view is blocked. I am 6’4”. The hat adds very little to my height, it’s the hat I’ve been known for the whole tour, I get a wave from Mike, Ed, Jeff and Stone… and it makes my night… If I take it off, I don not shrink to a midget, blame my height, don't blame the hate.... Deal with it…. Sometimes I get stuck behind tall people too(I'm not overly tall for the Netherlands), it’s annoying… but until they measure you on the way in and have everyone stand in order of height. I am not going to feel guilty for obstructing a view that you chose.

These are the thoughts of the 8 or so people that were around me. I’m not alone here….

Enjoy the music....

Hold back on the agression.... cos it spreads around and makes other people agressive... thats all I'm saying.

;) Feel better for the rant Neil? :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    nicole- wrote:
    Uhm hey,

whoever got my letter to Ed I attached to the mask I threw on stage... (I'm sure it wasn't someone from germany, there were almost no germans in the front rows...) please let it be my choice to publish what i wrote. Its weird enough for me, that a stranger got that thing anyway. Its nothing that can't be said openly, but... well it still is a letter, heh.
    Was a stupid idea anyway.

Thanks, nicole

Hi I watched it fall out just before the mask got to the stage... I assume oit just got trampled into the dirt by the security... Bad luck... it was really close...
  • Options
    ;) Feel better for the rant Neil? :D
    I kind of had to... there was a bit of a skewed perspective on what happened and I though to was damaging to future concerts... How's life back in the non-pearl jam tour world?
  • Options
    deep_schismicdeep_schismic Bremen, Germany Posts: 158
    redlady wrote:
    Well every one is saying i wanna hear this song and that but
    For me everything was great... i saw and heared them it doesen't matter to me what they play aslong as they are on stage and to there thing it's HEAVEN for me...we don't get the oppertunity to see them that often...so i grab anny chanche just to see them even if it only was 2 times this tour Antwerp and Berlin....maybe next year going to see them more if they come over ofcourse....
    greetz Sonja

Kudos Sonja, Pearl Jam is one band where bitchin about the setlist should be the last thing on people's minds! I mean those guys shouldn't go and see David Gilmour or Roger Waters in concert then...they play the 1 setlist wherever they go, with the odd variation of 1-2 songs. usually even the order is the same...(edit: not that this would actually stop me from seeing these living legends multiple times)

As I was saying at the show, that I just love how, at any given show, the guys can pretty much play anything in their immense catalogue...and more!

p.s. Is it true that Footsteps wasn't on the setlist (i.e. quite unplanned)?
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • Options
    I kind of had to... there was a bit of a skewed perspective on what happened and I though to was damaging to future concerts... How's life back in the non-pearl jam tour world?

LOL fair enough :)

Depressing in the non-PJ tour world :( I miss all you guys already :( Although it's good because this tour has seriously made me consider about moving out and moving some place new. Gotta work on that and make it happen. Now's the time I think :)

What about you guys? Adjusting to normality again?

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Hi I watched it fall out just before the mask got to the stage... I assume oit just got trampled into the dirt by the security... Bad luck... it was really close...

No, the funny thing is: We told the nice security lady, (the one with the water) to please put it on stage and she did, but somewhere between the monitor speakers, so it never got into Eds hands. After the show a 'roadie' threw it off the stage an the people to my left made a big fuss about getting the paper, I guess they thought it was something cool from Ed, haha. So I saw my letter go to someone in the first few rows right in front of Ed.
  • Options
    What about you guys? Adjusting to normality again?

I have a stinking cold... too much sweating at concerts, diet of beer, no sleep and too much travelling. I'm off to Florence for a meeting tomorrow. Travelling kind of is my normality.

I think fraser finally has a bar job... so we'll see how that goes....
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I have a stinking cold... too much sweating at concerts, diet of beer, no sleep and too much travelling. I'm off to Florence for a meeting tomorrow. Travelling kind of is my normality.

Awww Neil... barely back from Italy, you're back there again! Can't stay away!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Awww Neil... barely back from Italy, you're back there again! Can't stay away!

There was a moment when Fraser was swimming in the fountain in Verona... that I was worried one of my work colleagues from Verona would come up and ask how I was...
  • Options

Yeah I normally end up with colds after travelling and concerts but thankfully not this time.

Aww bless, a bar job sounds fun! :D

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    There was a moment when Fraser was swimming in the fountain in Verona... that I was worried one of my work colleagues from Verona would come up and ask how I was...

:D:D:D Would you have denied all knowledge of Fraser???

BTW - did you guys do anything outrageous for your last PJ gig?
  • Options

Damn we missed all the fun in Verona due to the convent and it's stupid hours :mad: ;):D

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Damn we missed all the fun in Verona due to the convent and it's stupid hours :mad: ;):D

The convent??? This may not be the thread to elaborate but get your little butt on the Dublin one and tell us all about this!!!!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    :D:D:D Would you have denied all knowledge of Fraser???

It woul;d have been difficult... I was swimming beside him in a kilt too....
  • Options
    It woul;d have been difficult... I was swimming beside him in a kilt too....
    Haha! Just spit my coke out all over the place!!!!! :D:D:D

I would have loved to see that!!!!! (your kilts must have weighed a ton and be wet forever!) :D:D
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Haha! Just spit my coke out all over the place!!!!! :D:D:D

I would have loved to see that!!!!! (your kilts must have weighed a ton and be wet forever!) :D:D

LOL can't have been too wet. they were wearing them in Milan. Fraser's was soaking wet then too due to the sweat and water :eek: Felt horrible

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    LOL can't have been too wet. they were wearing them in Milan. Fraser's was soaking wet then too due to the sweat and water :eek: Felt horrible
    Eeeeuuwwwww......
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Eeeeuuwwwww......

Precisely!! :eek: LOL this is a very random subject we are talking about :D

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Precisely!! :eek: LOL this is a very random subject we are talking about :D

You're right! Nothing to do with Berlin.. (except for the kilts and the scots being there too!).

Sorry guys... back to fanviews! :)
  • Options
    EvaEva Posts: 73
    swedenfan wrote:
    Can't, and won't agree with you who call tonights setlist weak! To my defense I must say that I just have seen 'em three times(oslo-00, arnhem-06). Think it was a very strong and various mix of songs. Daughter/w.m.a, present tense, green disease, footsteps, crazy mary et.c. Had a wet eye more times than I can remember..=) And don't think that Jeff A have rocked that much since the early 90:s!! Will never forget this night at Wuhlheide....

I do agree !!!
    I found this concert fucking good ! kind of another set list but they played some long songs that they usually don't. The crowd was very excited and the atmosphere excellent ! I loved it ! and preferred to Paris.
    The only thing is that they began early, and when we arrived the first song began as we were giving our tickets.. right on time ! well, there were some works on the S-Bahn in Berlin and we lost like almost one hour..
    I did not know this place before but I find it very nice and convenient, and the weather was top !!!!
    great souvenir for me :-)
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    that "our presidents a big fuck up" was in the W.M.A. tag

the pit at the front had maybe 500 people, the 300 10 club tickets, plus the first 200 or so in the G.A. line, but from what i heard, it wasn't exactly the first 200, it was whoever could reach the person giving them out

also, why take a camera? there will always be pictures on-line, and i honestly think the reason eddie pointed at me before he threw me one of the tambourines after baba o'riley is because i was the only person who wasn't trying to take a picture of him when he came over to our side of the stage
    front pit had more than 500 easily.
    they handed out the wristbands to both queues (there was the main one then another one on the side..where i went as it was shorter at the time. My friends were quite far back on that one and still got wristband)..so I'd say more like 1000. There was tons of space left when all the 10c were in.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I wasn’t going to respond, but I think I need to prevent your words doing damage to future gigs. The security were nothing but nice, but this guy didn’t show them enough respect, so he got the rough end of things… Respect the Pearl Jam security. They are all nice guys, who do their best to look after your safety. Do as you are told and they will be really good to you. I have had no experience in the whole tour of any of them doing something as a control freak or anything else. Just good stoney faced professionalism

Yeah you’re clearly pissed off etc. I understand that. But please don’t shout swear and rant about the “nazi motherfucking security guards”. They guys you circle in the photo were all very friendly to me. The guy with the long grey hair and the rings(the one you convey a huge “FUCK YOU, suck my dick,” to)… I wouldn’t have said was out of order. He was consistent with the camera policy, he wanted to check your camera. Your camera was big and bulky and looked like a decent SLR to me, but I don’t know cameras. The first time he came up to you, he said “Let me see your camera”, no aggression, just stoney faced professional security. You responded by running away and making sure he couldn’t see your camera. You said you’d put it away in your bag, which you never did. He wanted to look at your camera… civilly… and you responded by looking like you knew you were in the wrong. So the guys respond by assuming you are wrong…. Don’t look guilty and they won’t assume guilt.

Now you are ranting on the security, who I have huge respect for, which results in other people thinking they are wankers and turning up to the next gig, expecting aggression, which makes their job harder and decreases the likelihood that they’ll pick a plectrum, pick up your stupid hat when it falls off, pass you out water…. Organise for Czech security to find somewhere to put your rucksack when there’s no cloakroom. All in all you are attacking people who have been extremely friendly to me throughout the tour. You are the one who didn’t do what you were told… so they responded badly. You didn’t show them respect. You kept saying you would put the camera away but continued to take photos, so lay off the guys who are looking after us out there. You are actually giving the security a reason to be wankers when they weren’t. You are encouraging bad security with bad tempers…

“and I had the wonderful luck of ending up behind a scottish dude with a stupid hat who blocked half my view”

I am the "Scottish dude with the stupid hat"…. You pushed forward until you were standing behind me. You chose that space. Don’t complain your view is blocked. I am 6’4”. The hat adds very little to my height, it’s the hat I’ve been known for the whole tour, I get a wave from Mike, Ed, Jeff and Stone… and it makes my night… If I take it off, I don not shrink to a midget, blame my height, don't blame the hate.... Deal with it…. Sometimes I get stuck behind tall people too(I'm not overly tall for the Netherlands), it’s annoying… but until they measure you on the way in and have everyone stand in order of height. I am not going to feel guilty for obstructing a view that you chose.

Enjoy the music....

Hold back on the agression.... cos it spreads around and makes other people agressive... thats all I'm saying.
    well said brother.
    Don't care what some people say, I'll defend the PJ security to the end. They might look mean and unfriendly, that's part of the job to get respect from wankers; but they're really professionals and they take good care of us.
    When they're around I know I'm safe.
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    well said brother.
    Don't care what some people say, I'll defend the PJ security to the end. They might look mean and unfriendly, that's part of the job to get respect from wankers; but they're really professionals and they take good care of us.
    When they're around I know I'm safe.

Thank you for the support. I have personally seen them set local security right that were trying the whole power trip thing. They are on our side 100%, and I would hate for anyone to show them any animosity for a second.
  • Options
    Hello, thread. First time poster in this forum, and i can´t think of a better reason than this concert. I loved it! Setlist surprised me, too, it was so fastpaced! But the crowd was loving it. I think the soccer-thing confused Ed a little bit, he seemed unsure how to deal with it. But it did look great from where we were (the ranks on Stone´s side).
    I´ve read the question about the content of Eddie´s german speeches. Following is my account of it, wasn´t easy to understand, he butchered it nicely. The first time he greeted, than said something about the band having been here before (venue/city?), but never on a beautyful day like this. There was something else, but i´d need the bootleg for it. The second time however he started with saying that 2 years ago the world and himself lost a great artist/friend - Johnny Ramone. They talked a lot about Germany and Johnny loved it here. He was dedicating the next song to him, and he/we would have to sing it very loud into the heaven, so Johnny could hear it.
    That´s it for now, this post is getting a little long
    ´Til later!
  • Options
    I have pretty basic german. I had been to the Italian and czech shows where he had translations... and I watched the perplexed locals get their heads round it... I thought he did okay with the german... although maybe thats cos my german is as bad as his.. It's funny anyway... although if you don;t speak the local language, it's like having a show where he doesn't talk...
  • Options
    most can barely understand him when he mumbles in english so it makes no difference :) you know you'll always 5 mins in an encore when youre thinking 'eh?'