Options

***Berlin Fanviews Here 23/09/06***

Comments

• Options
    Rotterdam '93 - Amsterdam '96 - Hamburg '96 - Landgraaf '00 - Arnhem '06 - Antwerp '06 - Paris '06 -
    Berlin '06 - London '07 - Nijmegen '07 - Rotterdam '09 - Manchester '09 - London '09 - London '10 - Berlin '10 - Manchester '12 -Manchester '12 - Amsterdam '12 - Amsterdam '12 - Copenhagen '12 - Amsterdam '14 - Amsterdam '14 - Berlin '14 - Leeds '14 - Milton keynes '14
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    Renster wrote:
    Thanks for those pics.Your face looks familiar. I definetly saw you yesterday and in Arnhem.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    Wonderful venue... wonderful people to be at a concert with... Really good all round setlist....Interesting support.... that was my last of the tour... so it's back to real life(which includes such things as sundays in bed)

I'll get the blog finished as soon as I get a chance, until then, here's some photos:

http://flickr.com/photos/furbyx4/sets/72157594298034050/
  • Options
    it was my first pearl jam concert.. fucking mega! i'd never thought that the germans knew the songs that well. and everybody was dancing around like crazy, crowd surfers etc. it was so wild, that i never really saw the band more than a few minutes over all. later on the plane back home i felt some sort of pain all over by body, and i thought i was sick or dying -- but then i noticed that i had these bruises all over myself :D my shoes are totally trashed aswell, but it was worth it.

thank you pearl jam! come back next year to europe, we know you want to. thank you berlin, what a lovely city and lovely people!
    tchüss
  • Options
    deep_schismicdeep_schismic Bremen, Germany Posts: 158
    i'll quote myself from the original Berlin thread...
    Alrighty then...so it's 6 fuckin AM the next morning...I just got back to my hotel 20 min ago (yes, it took exactly 2 freakin hours, involving 30min of walking back to the Schönweide s-bahn stop...i'm lucky i wasn't robbed! haha)

will write more later, but all i can say is...overall excellent show, but the only thing that kept it from being perfect...1) nazi motherfucking security guards to who felt the need to basically bitch about me and my SLR...EVEN THOUGH IT WAS INSPECTED AND OK'D BY THE DUDES AT THE ENTRY. fucking cunts. I had 5 different people come up to me warning me about taking pictures, with the last guy actually trying to tug the camera from my fucking hands, even though I WAS NOT ACTUALLY USING IT AT THE TIME!!! However, i believe it was one of the PJ crew who was largely responsible for that shit as he was the 1st dude who came up to me and 'insisted i give him my camera'...and I insisted that I would no do such thing as it had been ok'd by security at the entry and that it was NOT a pro camera (if anyone knows anything about photography, a D100 with a 50mm is NOT a pro setup..)...but anyway...to that long grey-haired gentleman with rings on his fingers...I convey a huge 'FUCK YOU, suck my dick, why don't you attempt to stop the other 10,000 people in the audience taking pictures!'. Seriously, I actually feel like somehow making a profit on the photos I did get just to spite this rat bastard. FUCK.

ok, venting over. That's all i can say...so I didn't get to take as many shots as my great vantage point with 10c tix in the 3rd row offered me...and the other thing was...the crowd was largely pushy and elbowy...and I had the wonderful luck of ending up behind a scottish dude with a stupid hat who blocked half my view and another dude who was as tall as he was who ruined another 1/3 of my view...basically i have never gone through so much effort to take a few decent photos at a concert...and I attended huge ass festivals with gigantic moshpits for bands that are quite heavier than PJ. It was an experience indeed....

I shall talk about the actual show and Ed's entertaining drunkenness and hilarious German later (although the dedication to Johnny Damone was awesome)...

peace out!

p.s. just a howdy-do to White Riot and Renster from the forums who I had the pleasure to meet at the show, and also to OutofBreath and his crew...hope you guys had a good show!

Will add more later...

Edit: here's a picture of the lovely people I slandered above:
    IMG_5637_edit.jpg
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    i'll quote myself from the original Berlin thread...

Will add more later...
    dude, at all the concerts it's been said: no detachable lens. simple. the security was wrong letting you in with it in the first place, not the ones trying to stop you using it.

if you raise your camera to take photo YOU are obstructing the view of people who want to watch the show so don't complain about someone in front of you being too tall for you to take pictures...I get people too tall for me to breath so frankly you make me laugh.
    If you want to take great picture with no-one in your way, go on the side on the steps, not in the pit...the pit is for movers, not lurkers ;)
  • Options
    Actually, the info I had (from the venue's management/tour promoter) was 'no professional cameras'. and this is what i clearly showed to the guard at the entry who physically inspected my camera.

as for my view being obstructed, i know it's under no one's control, etc...i was just venting a bit thats all the 'ok venting over' sentence was meant to follow the 2nd paragraph. and as for people obstructing other people by taking pictures...aha, are you referring to the 12,999 other people in the venue with digicams?
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Actually, the info I had (from the venue's management/tour promoter) was 'no professional cameras'. and this is what i clearly showed to the guard at the entry who physically inspected my camera.
    but before every show we were told no detachable lens (in the 10c line anyway)
    as for my view being obstructed, i know it's under no one's control, etc...i was just venting a bit thats all the 'ok venting over' sentence was meant to follow the 2nd paragraph. and as for people obstructing other people by taking pictures...aha, are you referring to the 12,999 other people in the venue with digicams?
    yep :)
  • Options
    oh well, it wasn't all bad...it was painful but I think i've got a few good shots which i'll be uploading as soon as i can
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
  • Options
    EnehEneh Posts: 145
    I dont really want to disturb, but a Canon Ixus 400 has no detachable lens.
  • Options
    playa3 wrote:
    It seems strange that they wouldn't play those songs, they are some of my favourites too, good that you enjoyed them though, i'm going to see them tomorrow

I've seen them live before, and although I'm a big fan of their albums, they are limited in what they do live since there are just two of them....that was what I was told after the show I saw when I questioned why certain songs weren't played....on their records they are using more instruments on some songs that they can't reproduce live. I still dig 'em though. ;)
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    soulshine wrote:
    I've seen them live before, and although I'm a big fan of their albums, they are limited in what they do live since there are just two of them....that was what I was told after the show I saw when I questioned why certain songs weren't played....on their records they are using more instruments on some songs that they can't reproduce live. I still dig 'em though. ;)
    I am by no means an expert when it comes to the black keys but I never heard them using other instruments on their albums. On these three tracks they are definetly not using any other instruments on the records. And I know for sure that they play those songs quite often live.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    loving the euro sets they kick the us leg 1 sets... so much variety!!! Man I should have gone to europe this yar I knew it!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    hah you cant talk about the new album at all in terms of greatest hits.. i agree it wasn't a strong setlist...

seems like they have been opening up with GO a lot (6 times in Europe.. kind of strange) wish they would remember Of the girl, sometimes, cant keep, breakerfall as openers.. i buy boots for those songs

cool they made the pit for 10clubbers..

I don't know that many dates on this tour have had great sets but maybe it's just all been done? Personally I don't notice the crowds or band all that excited anymore either, we're getting older I guess.
    "I'd like to thank all you mother fuckers. All you mother fuckers..." EV-10/03/05
  • Options
    "weak", "setlist", and "Pearl Jam" do not belong in the same sentence
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425

ageed... each tour they up the anti when it comes to setlist building.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    "I know someday u`ll have a beautiful life, i know u`ll be the sun in somebody elses life, but why why why cant it be... cant it be mine..................."
    Most beautiful and emotional frase i`ve ever heard from Pearl Jam, and in such an outstunning version!! Cant describe how happy i was hearing this!

...and "Last kiss" the favorite song of the most beautiful and special person of my life!

a great night!!!! :)
  • Options
    hehe Maybe someone was a bit miffed that Vitalogy got passed over on the setlist for that show.
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
  • Options

Apart from the fact that I had to deal with the security stretching over me about 8 times during the show to argue with you, or the fact that you seemed to be taking photos throughout the show, you got me in the back of the arm with your bulky camera every time there was a crush. I was ready to take the camera off you!!

If the security tell you to do something. Just do it. Those guys are the most professional security I've seen at concerts. They are very reasonable guys who will help you out if you show them a bit of respect. You disobeyed them like 20 times. I think you're lucky to have stayed in the show and lucky to still have your camera.

A few photos isn't a problem, but you were gettting to the stage where you were distrurbing those around you from enjoying the gig.
  • Options

So true :)

Great to hear that PJ rocked Berlin. Looking forward for the Bootleg...

Peace!
    Zürich 2000
    Bern 2006
    Southside Festival 2007
    Berlin 2010
    Berlin 1&2 2012
    Milano 2014
    EV-Solo Amsterdam 2017
    Padova 2018
    Prague 2018
    Zürich 2022
  • Options
    Apart from the fact that I had to deal with the security stretching over me about 8 times during the show to argue with you, or the fact that you seemed to be taking photos throughout the show, you got me in the back of the arm with your bulky camera every time there was a crush. I was ready to take the camera off you!!

If the security tell you to do something. Just do it. Those guys are the most professional security I've seen at concerts. They are very reasonable guys who will help you out if you show them a bit of respect. You disobeyed them like 20 times. I think you're lucky to have stayed in the show and lucky to still have your camera.

A few photos isn't a problem, but you were gettting to the stage where you were distrurbing those around you from enjoying the gig.

Hey, first of all, if they were consistent with their rules it wouldn't have been an issue. i think it's a load of bullshit if the promoters and venue management say one thing, and then suddenly change their mind...then i say too bad. I did not by any means 'sneak in' something I wasn't supposed to have, as I have mentioned above. It was the principle of the matter, and I certainly did not enjoy the fact that 5-6 people were just watching me like a hawk. screw that.

2nd of all, I actually took as much care as I could to do not stab the people in front of me with my camera, but when there's a crush, there's a crush. Also, I didn't try shooting till there were lulls in the pit so as not to a) hurt anyone, including myself, and b) to actually get a decent shot. I do apologize though, but you have to realize there were a shitload of people there apart from just me, such as 2-3 guys to my immediate right (and just behind you) who decided they'd just freakin squeeze in from nowhere and use their elbows to give themselves, no matter if they keep putting their arms right in front of your face!
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
  • Options
    dane wrote:
    It was also real fucking funny to see the small heards of ppl in blue avocado shirts moving around the arena! Avocado is in deed the fruit of the year -lol-

I know! haha, ppl saw a lot of that at a lot of shows I guess....It was funny also seeing them wandering around outside the venue before the show! ans so we were saying with my friend how they look like they are part of a sect of some kind haha! hey, well now I'm part of it also! I Tell you, the greatest one on earth!
  • Options
    that "our presidents a big fuck up" was in the W.M.A. tag

the pit at the front had maybe 500 people, the 300 10 club tickets, plus the first 200 or so in the G.A. line, but from what i heard, it wasn't exactly the first 200, it was whoever could reach the person giving them out

also, why take a camera? there will always be pictures on-line, and i honestly think the reason eddie pointed at me before he threw me one of the tambourines after baba o'riley is because i was the only person who wasn't trying to take a picture of him when he came over to our side of the stage
  • Options
    redladyredlady Posts: 602
    Wonderful venue... wonderful people to be at a concert with... Really good all round setlist....Interesting support.... that was my last of the tour... so it's back to real life(which includes such things as sundays in bed)

I'll get the blog finished as soon as I get a chance, until then, here's some photos:

http://flickr.com/photos/furbyx4/sets/72157594298034050/
    Hey i didin't saw you ..specially looked out for it but my BROTHER did not wanted to go urly so we came to the Whulheide at 7.00 pm or so but it took a while to get in..ggrrrr....i was really pissed of beiing so late all because of him..he..he...if it was for me we would be there already in the afternoon...but all by all it's was a great gig and place to see them hope they come back next year so i will be able to see them more then just the 2 times now Antwerp and Berlin....also want to meet some people from the boards here next time if it's possible...see ya
    Pukkelpop '95 Neil Young with Pearl Jam without EV
    Antwerp 30-08-2006
    Berlin 23-09-2006
    Rock Werchter 29-06-2007
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010
    Rock Werchter 04-07-2010
  • Options
    redladyredlady Posts: 602
    well first we sit outside in front of the Fizz (whatever that was ) on a bench

and than we went in we where sitting standing ...well very near to the place withouth benches ...so not really up but i can´t remember the nummbers or something...

oh yes it is a great venue...
    And i specially weared the tanktop with the big white cross at the frontside so you would recognize me...LMAO....well maybe someone saw me...LOL...
    Pukkelpop '95 Neil Young with Pearl Jam without EV
    Antwerp 30-08-2006
    Berlin 23-09-2006
    Rock Werchter 29-06-2007
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010
    Rock Werchter 04-07-2010
  • Options
    redlady wrote:
    Hey i didin't saw you ..specially looked out for it but my BROTHER did not wanted to go urly so we came to the Whulheide at 7.00 pm or so but it took a while to get in..ggrrrr....i was really pissed of beiing so late all because of him..he..he...if it was for me we would be there already in the afternoon...but all by all it's was a great gig and place to see them hope they come back next year so i will be able to see them more then just the 2 times now Antwerp and Berlin....also want to meet some people from the boards here next time if it's possible...see ya

Aww... You'll just have to say hello next time they tour....

My hat has been hung up for a while now. Hopefully... the smell will go a little before the next tiem they tour somewhere within reach...
  • Options
    Wow, just came back from Berlin...I guess I could whine about not hearing many of my favourite songs, but there’s no way I’m doing that. It was a great show and the crowd was incredible. There were songs in the set list that I had hoped to hear like Present Tense, Crazy Mary, Porch and Come Back, particularly Grievance. And Footsteps was a very welcome surprise - thanks for the one who requested it!

I haven’t taken any German lessons, so I had no idea what Eddie spoke, but it sounded hilarious...
    Leeds 25/08/06
    Berlin 23/09/06
    London 18/6/07
  • Options
    This is gonna be one long post..
    dane wrote:
    Then; thank you 10C. Everything went smooth right from the very start with buying tickets. At the arena, the seperate entrance worked fine and even though we didn't get a seperate area in front of the stage it was so cool being able to get great spots. Thanks!!

What? You had 10c tickets but didn't get the wristband to enter our own little pit area?! What was this about? Sorry if i misunderstand you but i don't get this :)

Got home last night from first PJ concert and it was worth all waiting. Even though my favourite album and first real touch to Pearl Jam Vitalogy and the songs from Singles were not played it was still just awesome. Very rocking start: Go, Save You, Animal, Do The Evolution and Rearviewmirror. Three great pieces from Avocado. Very beautiful Black, so touching moment in the crowd. Feeling lucky to hear I Believe In Miracles, one of the highest peaks in the set for me and another great cover Baba O'Reily was there too. Only cover i missed was Dead Moon's It's Ok into Daughter but maybe next time :)

We we're in the first row on Mikes side next to pillar but had a great view. Everybody packed in the middle so there was only maybe five or ten people behind us in the pit and nobody pushed!

10c people and other jammers seemed to be nice, especially i remember german couple who welcomed us to Berlin outside in the queue, two american guys on my left and right who had been touring for weeks in Europe, the one on my left have been a member since early 93 and this nice german guy who thought we were from Poland :) It was nice to shake your hand and enjoy the experience together. Thank you PJ, thank you 10c! Hope the next time will be soon.
    26/6/07 Copenhagen, 23/9/06 Berlin - 45 different songs
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Just got back from Berlin, absolutely awsome gig! Best one of my life (so far - that may change if they come back next year!?!?!?).

Front row just to the right of the legend that is Stone! Met some really cool people one of whom (Irish guy) grabbed the sweatband I know Matt was throwing to me! So I think it's only right he do the right thing and hand it over ;-) !

Thanks to the band! Thanks to the 10c! Thanks to the crowd! Thanks to the universe for putting us in the right place at the oh so right time!

What else can I say!?! Can't wait to hear the boot!

Eddie - you said you might give me a tambourine, but you didn't :-(. Just remember me next time...........

Oooooooooooooo
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    Hey, first of all, if they were consistent with their rules it wouldn't have been an issue. i think it's a load of bullshit if the promoters and venue management say one thing, and then suddenly change their mind...then i say too bad. I did not by any means 'sneak in' something I wasn't supposed to have, as I have mentioned above. It was the principle of the matter, and I certainly did not enjoy the fact that 5-6 people were just watching me like a hawk. screw that.

2nd of all, I actually took as much care as I could to do not stab the people in front of me with my camera, but when there's a crush, there's a crush. Also, I didn't try shooting till there were lulls in the pit so as not to a) hurt anyone, including myself, and b) to actually get a decent shot. I do apologize though, but you have to realize there were a shitload of people there apart from just me, such as 2-3 guys to my immediate right (and just behind you) who decided they'd just freakin squeeze in from nowhere and use their elbows to give themselves, no matter if they keep putting their arms right in front of your face!

I wasn’t going to respond, but I think I need to prevent your words doing damage to future gigs. The security were nothing but nice, but this guy didn’t show them enough respect, so he got the rough end of things… Respect the Pearl Jam security. They are all nice guys, who do their best to look after your safety. Do as you are told and they will be really good to you. I have had no experience in the whole tour of any of them doing something as a control freak or anything else. Just good stoney faced professionalism

Yeah you’re clearly pissed off etc. I understand that. But please don’t shout swear and rant about the “nazi motherfucking security guards”. They guys you circle in the photo were all very friendly to me. The guy with the long grey hair and the rings(the one you convey a huge “FUCK YOU, suck my dick,” to)… I wouldn’t have said was out of order. He was consistent with the camera policy, he wanted to check your camera. Your camera was big and bulky and looked like a decent SLR to me, but I don’t know cameras. The first time he came up to you, he said “Let me see your camera”, no aggression, just stoney faced professional security. You responded by running away and making sure he couldn’t see your camera. You said you’d put it away in your bag, which you never did. He wanted to look at your camera… civilly… and you responded by looking like you knew you were in the wrong. So the guys respond by assuming you are wrong…. Don’t look guilty and they won’t assume guilt.

Now you are ranting on the security, who I have huge respect for, which results in other people thinking they are wankers and turning up to the next gig, expecting aggression, which makes their job harder and decreases the likelihood that they’ll pick a plectrum, pick up your stupid hat when it falls off, pass you out water…. Organise for Czech security to find somewhere to put your rucksack when there’s no cloakroom. All in all you are attacking people who have been extremely friendly to me throughout the tour. You are the one who didn’t do what you were told… so they responded badly. You didn’t show them respect. You kept saying you would put the camera away but continued to take photos, so lay off the guys who are looking after us out there. You are actually giving the security a reason to be wankers when they weren’t. You are encouraging bad security with bad tempers…

In terms of the crowd being “largely pushy and elbowy”, you’re the one who was shouting to get through to the front cos you were taking photos, like it gives you some sort of extra privilege. I generally thought the crowd were pretty well behaved.

“and I had the wonderful luck of ending up behind a scottish dude with a stupid hat who blocked half my view”

I am the "Scottish dude with the stupid hat"…. You pushed forward until you were standing behind me. You chose that space. Don’t complain your view is blocked. I am 6’4”. The hat adds very little to my height, it’s the hat I’ve been known for the whole tour, I get a wave from Mike, Ed, Jeff and Stone… and it makes my night… If I take it off, I don not shrink to a midget, blame my height, don't blame the hate.... Deal with it…. Sometimes I get stuck behind tall people too(I'm not overly tall for the Netherlands), it’s annoying… but until they measure you on the way in and have everyone stand in order of height. I am not going to feel guilty for obstructing a view that you chose.

These are the thoughts of the 8 or so people that were around me. I’m not alone here….

Enjoy the music....

Hold back on the agression.... cos it spreads around and makes other people agressive... thats all I'm saying.