Options

******** YOUR PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ********

Comments

• Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

I'm happy a 4-12 team with NO SHOT AT THE PLAYOFFS went 10-6 and made the playoffs. I'm happy we have a YOUNG nucleus and a coach who will actually change his thought process mid game. I see a young QB who brought this team back without a Wr like Maclin. I see an elite rb and off line to protect a QB who threw 29tds and 2 ints in 12 games started. I see a young def and alot of potential. What I don't see is why anyone can me mad. The only ones who can be are the ones who's ego is so big they'd rather be correct then enjoy an amazing year.

the future is bright, my friend. the way i look at it, we're about a year ahead of schedule. next season cannot come soon enough.

BIRDS.
    Agreed. How anyone can't see this is beyond me. Ego is a terrible thing sometimes. I was pissed when Chip went for it in the 2nd half. And those 3 pts cost us bigtime. But if you can't see the progress and growth your blind. The Reid lovers will always dislike Chip until he surpasses Reid's accomplishments.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547

I'm happy a 4-12 team with NO SHOT AT THE PLAYOFFS went 10-6 and made the playoffs. I'm happy we have a YOUNG nucleus and a coach who will actually change his thought process mid game. I see a young QB who brought this team back without a Wr like Maclin. I see an elite rb and off line to protect a QB who threw 29tds and 2 ints in 12 games started. I see a young def and alot of potential. What I don't see is why anyone can me mad. The only ones who can be are the ones who's ego is so big they'd rather be correct then enjoy an amazing year.

the future is bright, my friend. the way i look at it, we're about a year ahead of schedule. next season cannot come soon enough.

BIRDS.
    Agreed. How anyone can't see this is beyond me. Ego is a terrible thing sometimes. I was pissed when Chip went for it in the 2nd half. And those 3 pts cost us bigtime. But if you can't see the progress and growth your blind. The Reid lovers will always dislike Chip until he surpasses Reid's accomplishments.
    right. just gotta think rationally. you have to live in some alternate universe not to see the growth of this team. andy reid destroyed this franchise and chip restored in record time. yesterday was rough, but, hey, it's not like they blew a 4 touchdown lead or something. hahaha

onward and upward.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,311

BIRDS.
    ummm wasn't he hired to surpass Reid's accomplishments? I guess because his offense is innovative and his press conferences are entertaining it's ok to lose home playoff games? got it
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

BIRDS.
    ummm wasn't he hired to surpass Reid's accomplishments? I guess because his offense is innovative and his press conferences are entertaining it's ok to lose home playoff games? got it
    haha....this guy
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rational thinking is always the way to go. here is some perspective to console us today:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/1/5/5275952/eagles-saints-chip-kelly-dark-day-bright-future

A Dark Day But A Bright Future

By Brandon Lee Gowton @BrandonGowton on Jan 5 2014, 8:00a 42
    Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

Things will get better.
    Tweet (22) Share (10) Share 42 Comments

Quite frankly, last night sucked.

The Eagles totally had a chance to win that game but they blew it. It came down to the smallest things, too. Alex Henery missing a field goal. Special teams coverage allowing a big return to Darren Sproles on that final kickoff. Short kickoff. Riley Cooper dropping a wide open third down pass. Nick Foles throwing to Jason Avant for a two yard gain instead of a wide open Brent Celek for a 20+ yard gain. Foles taking a sack after holding onto the ball forever and making the Henery FG harder than it had to be. LeSean McCoy not always following his blocks. Cary Williams having to come out for a play and leaving Roc Carmichael tasked to get a critical stop. Patrick Chung getting burned in coverage. And so on.

For a large part of Saturday night's game, I thought the defense did their part. Heck, they forced two turnovers. Look at this stat:

That's brutal. But they didn't get the stops when it counted at the end of the game.

On offense, the team got off to way too slow of a start. The same issues that I've had with Foles all year persisted. He wasn't bad, and the numbers look good. But it's not about good or bad, it's about "best". He wasn't the best he could have been. He's leaving too many easy plays out on the field. It's not all Nick's fault. There's times when the receivers aren't getting open or the protection is poor. All I'm saying is Foles could be reasonably better.

Special teams struggles included the missed FG and the poor kickoff coverage when it counted. What to do about Alex Henery will be talked about here shortly, but for now just let me say this: it was absolutely a mistake not bringing in competition for him this year. It will also be a mistake if the Eagles don't (at least) do the same moving forward.

Again, this was a game that they could have won. Should have won. The game was at home. The Eagles had the advantage. They failed to capitalize, and that's extremely disappointing. At the same time, who thought the Eagles would even be playing a home game in the 2014 NFL playoffs let alone make the playoffs? The fact that the Eagles exceeded expectations this year was enjoyable and great, but ultimately it doesn't take the pain out of this loss. The idea that the Eagles were playing with house money and that they could lose to the Saints and it would be OK is kind of bullshit to me. It's a loser mentality.

Sure, this is a flawed team. They lack talent in key areas and aren't as polished as some other playoff teams. But they were one of the hottest teams in the NFL entering the game. They were playing like a legitimately good team. Who knows how far they would have gone if they beat the Saints. Maybe far, maybe not too far at all. The point is that Saturday night was a missed opportunity.

That's my take on the "dark day" side of things. It will definitely take some time for that wound to heal. Looking in a broader view, however, you can't help but be encouraged by some of the takeaways from the 2013 season.

First and foremost, the Eagles have a GREAT coach in Chip Kelly. This was a guy that some people thought wouldn't even cut it in the NFL. Well I'm glad to say those people were dead wrong. Chip Kelly absolutely belongs in the NFL. Look at what he did with this offense. Look at all these records that were broken under him in his first year. Kelly looks like a great hire by Jeffrey Lurie and that's certainly a positive sign moving forward.

Another key takeaway is the fact that the Eagles may have their franchise quarterback on the roster. This is something that no one thought for sure coming into the season. Some people may have been high on Foles coming into this year, but there was no real evidence to prove that he would perform at this kind of level. If the Eagles Kelly-Foles connection proves to be as strong as it was in 2013, the Eagles are going to win a lot of football games.

Things don't get any easier from here. The Eagles will face tougher opponents next year due to having a division winner's schedule. Regression will also be in play. The Eagles won't face as many teams missing key players. And despite the wonders of sports science, the Eagles may deal with more critical injuries next year. Turnovers could also go up while takeaways could go down. This all speculative but possible.

At the same time, the Eagles will have chances to upgrade their roster. Given the way Howie Roseman and the Eagles Front Office has operated in recent drafts and free agency periods, you have to feel at least a little confident in their ability to upgrade this roster. Imagine adding a new pass rusher, or a slot receiver who can actually get yards after the catch, or a reliable safety, or how about a better kicker? These are just a few examples.

Of course, there's no guarantee the Eagles will build positively on their 2013 success. Look at the 2012 Washington Redskins, a team that went 3-6 before winning out and taking the division. I'm reluctant to compare the teams because Kelly is a better coach than Mike Shanahan was in DC and Foles isn't entering the offseason with a major injury like Robert Griffin III was. My point is that things could easily go wrong if the right steps aren't taken.

For now, I'm maintaining the viewpoint that the future is bright until proven otherwise. It feels good to have experienced a winning season, a division crown, and a playoff berth again. This year was so unlike the expiring years of the Reid era, which felt like a giant waste of time at the end. This new Kelly era feels worthwhile and something worth being optimistic about.

2013 was the most fun, enjoyable, and successful season the Eagles have had in recent years. Most importantly, it leaves hope for the future of this organization. I don't know about you, but I can't wait until Year Two of the Kelly regime.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I bet if we were 3-13 we'd have at least 2 happy campers. This thread is as bad as Reid's play calling was yesterday in the 2nd half up 28pts.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,663
    Andy Reid destroyed the franchise? He was the most successful coach you have ever had. Sure, it ended poorly but to say a guy who went to the Super Bowl and multiple NFC championships destroyed a franchise doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Andy Reid destroyed the franchise? He was the most successful coach you have ever had. Sure, it ended poorly but to say a guy who went to the Super Bowl and multiple NFC championships destroyed a franchise doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

cliff, really? he was a very good coach for the first half of his tenure. nobody disputes that....then he spent the last few years here destroying what he built. he drafted poorly on the defensive side for a decade. he hired his offensive line coach to coordinate his defense. his free agent signings were mostly busts....all of this was done while continuing to make the same play calling and clock management mistakes for 14 years. this franchise was in the fucking garbage 12 months ago when he was let go. you going to dispute that?

i was a big fan of his back in the day. but he overstayed his welcome by 3 years or so. they should have cut ties with him when they let mcnabb go.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I bet if we were 3-13 we'd have at least 2 happy campers. This thread is as bad as Reid's play calling was yesterday in the 2nd half up 28pts.

can you imagine if his team didn't blow a 28 point lead yesterday? those two wouldn't shut up about how the chiefs made it further than the eagles did.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

cliff, really? he was a very good coach for the first half of his tenure. nobody disputes that....then he spent the last few years here destroying what he built. he drafted poorly on the defensive side for a decade. he hired his offensive line coach to coordinate his defense. his free agent signings were mostly busts....all of this was done while continuing to make the same play calling and clock management mistakes for 14 years. this franchise was in the fucking garbage 12 months ago when he was let go. you going to dispute that?

No, I don't dispute that but successful coaches are stubborn and almost all coaching situations end poorly in every sport. Things were no doubt bad, but I just don't see how you can say someone who brought more success to an organization than anyone else has destroyed a franchise. This year was a good turnaround for you guys no doubt and Reid's time in Philly was clearly done but to put Kelly on a pedestal and trash reid doesn't seem right. I definitely hear what you're saying but I liken it to someone saying torre destroyed the Yankees or something along those lines
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,676
    Keep looking to next year. You can blast the old coach when the new one does better.
  • Options
    Oh and the first and last time I give eagles fans credit...that hot tub tailgate was legit
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,311

can you imagine if his team didn't blow a 28 point lead yesterday? those two wouldn't shut up about how the chiefs made it further than the eagles did.
    you two are the only guys who keep bringing up Andy Reid in this thread.

Chip had a good year. I've admitted that but he lost as a home favorite in the playoffs and that is just not good enough no matter how long his tenure has been here. forget Reid can we let Chip get to as many playoff wins as Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes for this franchise 1st before we make him out to be the 2nd coming of Bill Walsh?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

No, I don't dispute that but successful coaches are stubborn and almost all coaching situations end poorly in every sport. Things were no doubt bad, but I just don't see how you can say someone who brought more success to an organization than anyone else has destroyed a franchise. This year was a good turnaround for you guys no doubt and Reid's time in Philly was clearly done but to put Kelly on a pedestal and trash reid doesn't seem right. I definitely hear what you're saying but I liken it to someone saying torre destroyed the Yankees or something along those lines
    yeah but joe torre won 3 word series? reid went to a super bowl and lost 10 years ago. since then he averaged 8 wins per year and drove this franchise back into the ground in just about any way you can look at it since he picked the staff and had final say on all personnel moves. charlie manuel is the most successful manager in phils history and he gets ripped on a daily basis in the phils thread. i don't see why a guy who had less success here should be untouchable.

reid was real good for a long time but this franchise was dead in the water last year. i thought it would take 2-3 years to clean up this mess. so you can understand how happy we are at the quick turn around. and nobody is putting chip on a pedestal but nobody can deny that he did a very good job with a team that won 4 games last year.

the bottom line is for the first time in years it feels good to be an eagles fan....and with the way the rest of the division looks, things could be good for the foreseeable future. i said this a while ago, but this team gives me an 07 phils vibe. good young nucleus who, gives you hope for what they can do in the next few years.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    4 haha, so yeah, not the best comparison but just what came to mind first. Just the point of great success followed by something less. I also don't really think Manuel should get as much shit as he does, but I don't watch the Phillies enough to make too much of a judgement. I hear you and I think you should be excited, even if I don't think the Eagles are as good as you guys do. The Browns are a dead franchise, and I don't think what Reid left is near that. But yeah, what you just said is reasonable and I think different than saying he killed the franchise...maybe it's just semantics. I'm done, haha.

I wish he really killed it though.

• Options

I wish he really killed it though.

haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    wow this packers/niners ending looks soooo familiar.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,299

wow this packers/niners ending looks soooo familiar.

i was thinking the exact same thing.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,299
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Very disappointed with the game. It was fun to be there, a great atmosphere. Now my son knows the pain of a playoff loss.

Foles played poorly early which put us in the hole he then had to dig us out of. He missed Desean running free a few times early in the game.

Maybe Roc Carmichael should be our new kicker?

We got destroyed on the LOS for the past 2 games, especially our D-line. Our 2 sacks were for a total of minus 1 yard.

Not enough Shady to start the game. No Shady on the 1st drive of the second half.

Sure there are situations where Chip had some hiccups this year but overall he had success. He turned around a really bad team with more coaching than personnel moves. For a coach that was "destined to fail", he sure had a pretty good year for a "gay" coach. That gay comment could be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here.

A couple of you guys must have really wanted Chip to lose some so you could make fun of his press conferences, his personal life, his play calling(still better than Reids) and anything else you wish to drum up.

Based on next years schedule, this team has to get a lot better to even match this year's record.

Just because you think the Eagles should have let the Saints score, doesn't mean they would. Most teams are coached on that now to take a knee at the one.

San Diego is still alive for the Eagles home opener streak.

I sit 4 rows behind the Eagle's tunnel in the corner of the end zone. Right before Cooper scored, the 1st TD I believe, 3 guys were holding up their phones to record they play and I couldn't see the LOS. I'm talking arms extended fully in the air. I yelled for them to put them down, 2 listened. Just watch the game with your own eyes. It's just like people recording a damn concert, you are missing more than you are recording.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,834
    Certainly a winnable game, but things are headed in the right direction. Forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

Yeah, that sucked, but what sucks even more is not having anything to look forward to again for another 8 months. Until then, I'll pretend to care about pitchers & catchers reporting, and enjoy beers at the ballpark.
  • Options
    PI call on Desean was awful.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

It's also why he's not a #1 receiver - worried more about drawing the penalty than catching the ball.
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

It's also why he's not a #1 receiver - worried more about drawing the penalty than catching the ball.
    That's not what I was referring to, but come on every WR does that. It was a bad call and had nothing to do with Desean's reaction.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

That's not what I was referring to, but come on every WR does that. It was a bad call and had nothing to do with Desean's reaction.
    I'm not quite sure I know what you're talking about then, and therefore I don't know if you're being sympthetic to Desean or not? Which no one should be....

There was a lot worse things (that the Eagles did) that cost them this game, a winnable game.
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

I'm not quite sure I know what you're talking about then, and therefore I don't know if you're being sympthetic to Desean or not? Which no one should be....

There was a lot worse things (that the Eagles did) that cost them this game, a winnable game.
    The call went the Eagles way at the 3 I think before Ertz's go ahead TD. It was a bad call that went our way.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

JK_Livin said:

The call went the Eagles way at the 3 I think before Ertz's go ahead TD. It was a bad call that went our way.
    Alright....so we're on the same page then...
  • Options
    They should have gone to him way earlier than they did. I realize This is stating the obvious.

Apparently Foles had him open a few times in the first but checked down instead...
    chinese-happy.jpg