Tips for surviving in office environment

Comments

• dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Never be friends with ANYBODY that you work with...think "everybody is a snitch"-if you must, set up a 'work FB' account, and have ONLY people from work on it.

Never talk about what you do outside the office, people will find ways to make you look bad.

a. never accept a coworker as a fb friend. that is what linkedin is for.

b. you worked in a shitty job. wow.

I'll second this one, never fb friend any coworkers, that won't end well.

hgpjam11 wrote:
    Have a couple of friends to call "squrrel" for you - When an annoying person is talking to you for more than 3 minutes, your friend will call your phone so you can politely excuse yourself for an important call. At least once a day, someone saves me from endless chatter.

I used to take this a step further and whenever a meeting was coming up that I didn't want to attend I would create a scheduled job on one of the servers to send me a text page a few minutes after the meeting started so I'd have an excuse to leave and go check on the "urgent server issue"

Also, invest in some headphones so you can block out your annoying coworkers when they get too loud. Now that I work from home, that's one thing I definitely don't miss!
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • Reading this thread, and the office lunch stealing thread, truly makes me happy.

Working in an office environment, is truly only one step up from pre-school.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stealing co-workers food
    Office snitches
    etc.
    etc.

Fucking ridiculous behavior from adults.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    dougfloyd wrote:
    hgpjam11 wrote:
    Have a couple of friends to call "squrrel" for you - When an annoying person is talking to you for more than 3 minutes, your friend will call your phone so you can politely excuse yourself for an important call. At least once a day, someone saves me from endless chatter.

I used to take this a step further and whenever a meeting was coming up that I didn't want to attend I would create a scheduled job on one of the servers to send me a text page a few minutes after the meeting started so I'd have an excuse to leave and go check on the "urgent server issue"

Also, invest in some headphones so you can block out your annoying coworkers when they get too loud. Now that I work from home, that's one thing I definitely don't miss!

I used to deal with 'special customers' (the ones that are lonely and go to the mall to talk to the employees). So, everybody knew the routine, as soon as those customers would walk in, one employee would 'go on break', and walk across the way to the pay phone, and call the store so we'd get 'stuck on the phone' and the lonely person would eventually leave once they realized that the person on the phone can't talk on the phone and to them at the same time.

I got yelled at for wearing headphones too...I wasn't being a 'team player'. :roll:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Reading this thread, and the office lunch stealing thread, truly makes me happy.

Stealing co-workers food
    Office snitches
    etc.
    etc.

If you think offices are bad you should be a fly on the wall at a car dealership for a day. :lol:
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Never get involved with a co-worker :fp:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Never get involved with a co-worker :fp:

Best advice ever!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    RKCNDY wrote:
    dougfloyd wrote:
    hgpjam11 wrote:

I used to deal with 'special customers' (the ones that are lonely and go to the mall to talk to the employees). So, everybody knew the routine, as soon as those customers would walk in, one employee would 'go on break', and walk across the way to the pay phone, and call the store so we'd get 'stuck on the phone' and the lonely person would eventually leave once they realized that the person on the phone can't talk on the phone and to them at the same time.

I got yelled at for wearing headphones too...I wasn't being a 'team player'. :roll:

Fuck teamwork :lol:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    morello wrote:
    Delete all personal e-mails before leaving everyday

I am a compulsive deleter. Any personal e-mails get deleted + the sent e-mails deleted too. It's stupid coz I know they can retrieve the from the server but delete, delete, delete!

:shock: Oh Boy, well as long as they dont crack my code words, right now they think i smoke alot of apple sauce.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    dougfloyd wrote:

Fuck teamwork :lol:

there-is-no-i-in-team-a-hole.jpg?w=576&h=407
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I'm staying hidden in my office. Holy chaos! Staff screaming at each other and slamming doors :shock: :? I'll just be sitting her sipping my chai latte waiting for the smoke to clear :shock:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    I'm staying hidden in my office. Holy chaos! Staff screaming at each other and slamming doors :shock: :? I'll just be sitting her sipping my chai latte waiting for the smoke to clear :shock:

68780_o.gif
  • I'm staying hidden in my office. Holy chaos! Staff screaming at each other and slamming doors :shock: :? I'll just be sitting her sipping my chai latte waiting for the smoke to clear :shock:

What the hell is going on?

Those damn Jersey tempers... :lol:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    you just have to keep your head down and avoid all drama at all costs
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DS1119 wrote:
    I'm staying hidden in my office. Holy chaos! Staff screaming at each other and slamming doors :shock: :? I'll just be sitting her sipping my chai latte waiting for the smoke to clear :shock:

68780_o.gif

This is what happen when you let them out of the kitchen. :nono:

Exactly!
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    DS1119 wrote:

Exactly!
    :nono:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,780
    Reading this thread, and the office lunch stealing thread, truly makes me happy.

Stealing co-workers food
    Office snitches
    etc.
    etc.

but your "office" rolls along the streets of Chicago? Cant say which is worse. Actual coworkers or the fucktards driving cars.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Exactly!
    :nono:

sad-little-beagle.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

:lol:

my office is like 75% women....having butts and boobs to look at all day isn't so bad. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

I'm not sure :shock: I don't think I want to know. Some blowout between the director and the receptionist. Does not make for a counseling friendly environment when the staff is screaming at each other :fp: :lol:

• DS1119 wrote:

68780_o.gif
    The office is so jersey right now :lol: No desks have been flipped yet...but I bet it will happen before the end of the week. Our office is also supposed to be a "reduced distraction environment" for students with learning disabilities to take their tests...lots of exams happening today since it's finals week....so ummmmm....yeah so much for reduced-distraction :fp: :lol:

I'm not sure :shock: I don't think I want to know. Some blowout between the director and the receptionist. Does not make for a counseling friendly environment when the staff is screaming at each other :fp: :lol:

Oh yeah? Were they seeing each other? :corn:
  • What the hell is going on?

Oh yeah? Were they seeing each other? :corn:
    :think: doubtful :nono:

• :think: doubtful :nono:

:corn:

• :think: doubtful :nono:

yeah one is a 64 year old grandmother of 7 and the other is a 49 year old grandmother of 2. No hot and racy affair there :lol:

• yeah one is a 64 year old grandmother of 7 and the other is a 49 year old grandmother of 2. No hot and racy affair there :lol:

Crazier things have happened

• yeah one is a 64 year old grandmother of 7 and the other is a 49 year old grandmother of 2. No hot and racy affair there :lol:

Well the 64 year old is sex-obsessed :think: but she's usually talking about penises. All. The. Time.
    :fp:

Well the 64 year old is sex-obsessed :think: but she's usually talking about penises. All. The. Time.

Uh-huh.... :corn:

Still possible.... :corn:

• Crazier things have happened

Uh-huh.... :corn:

Still possible.... :corn:
    Yep...gonna stay locked in my office and far away from this one :fp: :lol:

one is a 64 year old grandmother of 7 and the other is a 49 year old grandmother of 2.

That's kind of hot. :corn: