Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    mysticweed wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I enjoyed seeing and hearing Ed. Do I wish he had performed his own,
    yes I do.

Just a little pinprick ... fuck that

the child is grown the dream is gone
    My heart already heavy ... heavier for that performance.

I'm thankful though it was not Mother... grasp the small favors.

yeah
    waters exaggerated that pin prick thing too

(who was that singing with him (before ed))
    Not sure but his voice I liked.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    I like The Who as well, but Daultry doesn't sound that good anymore. But I thought Jagger sounded fine.

Anyway, I'm so glad Ed sand with Waters instead of The Who. :corn:

Couldnt disagree more. Daultry sounded very good and Jagger was bad- just like he always was live. Great studio band, but very poor live.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    The Who (Rog) seem to get shit on every time they do something. "They sound like shit", "give it up"... I thought they were great Saturday in Philly, and pretty damn good last night. Maybe it's because I understand it's not 1973 anymore and I take what they're offering.

There's a reason these old guys are asked to do these benefit shows...young bands can't do it. Once the old guys die off, these benefit shows will be a thing of the past or be all country artists. Someone needs to start rockin'
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    The Who (Rog) seem to get shit on every time they do something. "They sound like shit", "give it up"... I thought they were great Saturday in Philly, and pretty damn good last night. Maybe it's because I understand it's not 1973 anymore and I take what they're offering.

There's a reason these old guys are asked to do these benefit shows...young bands can't do it. Once the old guys die off, these benefit shows will be a thing of the past or be all country artists. Someone needs to start rockin'

Im a big Who fan and have seen them often since '79. While I passed on this tour, I was at the show last night and I thought they were great (definitely one of the best sets). Sure, Daltrey can't scream like he used to, but as you said, I recognize it for what it is. And i think its pretty good!
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    Thought Ed did well. Would have loved to see more of him.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Just about everything I watched was awesome, basically all the old guys.

The Boss-not a big fan, but he's made for stuff like this
    Roger Waters-didn't care for the David Gilmour stand-ins but it was a pretty sweet set
    The Who-kicked ass, love Bell Boy but it seemed like kinda outta place
    Macca-can pretty well do no wrong
    Billy Joel- hometown boy kicked as

Missed the Stones, Alicia Keys, Kanye and anybody else I didn't mention.

Would've been cool to see Ed come out for just about anything else.
  • It was criminal Vedder was on for only half a song. Why not do 3 songs with Waters and a couple with the Who, too? Or do his own stuff?

Anyway, Vedder was the highlight of the night for me, he killed it in the short chance he got. His voice really is unbelievable.
  • The Who (Rog) seem to get shit on every time they do something. "They sound like shit", "give it up"... I thought they were great Saturday in Philly, and pretty damn good last night. Maybe it's because I understand it's not 1973 anymore and I take what they're offering.

Considering the age of the vocal cords on some of these guys, I thought they were all pretty good. Even though for nearly 70 he is looking good, I do wish Roger could have kept his shirt on. :shock: :? :lol: But there is no comparison to the up-and-comers. They can't hold a candle to these experienced rockers. My kids always talk about the lip-synching performers and just can't believe that these guys were before and are above all that nonsense.

I also agree that it was pretty unbelievable that they put Eddie's name all over the place and he got half a song. I guess I would only be more disappointed if I were a huge Grohl fan. But they did what they set out to do - raise money for a good cause. My husband spent every summer of his life from age the age of 4 on Long Beach Island and at Seaside Heights.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    This is the recap of the show that I've been waiting for:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/12/12.12.12-concert-rolling-stones-who-springsteen-classic-rock.html

A night of Dad rock, it was. But which dads were the most classic rock-y? Click the link and find out. Don't get offended -- this is funny and well done. If it bothers you, relax, dude. It's only rock n' roll.
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I thought Ed did a phenomenal job on Comfortably Numb!! I was honestly a little nervous- what a huge song!- but EV proves yet again why he's one of the greatest! Even my mom, who normally doesn't care at all for Ed's voice, called me up to say how impressed she was :lol: Thoroughly enjoyed the performance. Wish Eddie had his own set or was a part of more collaborations!

All in all it was a great 6 hour watch, minus Kanye. My other highlights were NirvanaCartney, Chris Martin/Michael Stipe doing 'Losing My Religion', and The Who breaking out 'Bell Boy'. Only disappointment was The Stones, as I thought they were gonna come out and kick ass and they just didn't.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • I guess I'd ask one questions of the knowledgable folks on here. It struck me watching it live and then even more so in watching it on YouTube. Right as Roger Waters is getting into the first couple of lines of the song and is moving to his right... and Eddie comes into the frame behind him... it looks like Roger is pointedly "singing" the lyric at someone directly (pointing at them, etc) and when Eddie comes into the frame he also has a pissed off look on his face and is looking in the same direction. At that point Roger leans over and hugs/whatever to Eddie and pats him on the shoulder... and it takes a second for Eddie to sort of laugh it off. Almost signaling to whoever sort of a "it's ok, he's with me"... I guess when I watch it I get the impression that Eddie was taking some serious crap from someone on that side of the stage. Anyone else get that impression? Also right before Vedder leaves his mic and walks to the other end of the stage from what I'm talking about Waters is sort of shouting in that same direction (pointing someone out?) and while Vedder is walking away he's kind of looking over his shoulder at what is going on. Thoughts? ...thus ends my over analysis.
  • B.KutysB.Kutys Posts: 119
    did anyone else notice that mick jagger looked like a prettier sandra bernhart?

and i played a drinking game .. everytime brian williams talks about "throwing a dead cat" i did a shot.. boy did i get wasted
  • Watching recorded version now. Too little of Ed, but the little was brilliant. Should have cut Bon Jovi out and had Ed on uke... :corn:
    rustedsigns
  • Khanye West....I mean really.... :(
    rustedsigns
  • mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,067
    mysticweed wrote:
    (who was that singing with him (before ed))

That was Robbie Wyckoff from Roger's touring band. He sings the parts originally sang by David Gilmour.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • I think Ed was bumped for the Stones. There quick set seemed like it was squeezed in. Could have done without Kanye and replaced with EV and couple more Stones songs. I was shocked Ed didn't come out with The Who especially considering they played Baba O'Reilly and Love Reign O'er Me.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    I think Ed was bumped for the Stones. There quick set seemed like it was squeezed in. Could have done without Kanye and replaced with EV and couple more Stones songs. I was shocked Ed didn't come out with The Who especially considering they played Baba O'Reilly and Love Reign O'er Me.

Has Ed ever done on Baba w/The Who?
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I think Ed was bumped for the Stones. There quick set seemed like it was squeezed in. Could have done without Kanye and replaced with EV and couple more Stones songs. I was shocked Ed didn't come out with The Who especially considering they played Baba O'Reilly and Love Reign O'er Me.

Not that I know of but Pearl Jam has played it quite a bit.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Pry To wrote:
    This is the recap of the show that I've been waiting for:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/12/12.12.12-concert-rolling-stones-who-springsteen-classic-rock.html

A night of Dad rock, it was. But which dads were the most classic rock-y? Click the link and find out. Don't get offended -- this is funny and well done. If it bothers you, relax, dude. It's only rock n' roll.

heh. i liked this comment: "- Waters constantly waves to audience, jogging back and forth to greet entire house. Considering that he and Pink Floyd played behind a wall in the original tour of The Wall, this gregarious crowdwork is like seeing Miles Davis run out and high-five the front row like Jay Leno. - 7 points"

if you'd have told me 15 years ago that roger waters would be playing a benefit show at madison square garden, running back and forth on the stage, smiling, soaking in cheers, and just generally having a good time, i'd have called you a damned fool.
  • fapjfapj Posts: 32
    i just want to know how the f did kanye play 7-8songs and ev did 1.....what is this world coming to!!!!!
    i was very disapointed.
    whoever made this call should be shot(not really)...
  • fapj wrote:
    i just want to know how the f did kanye play 7-8songs and ev did 1.....what is this world coming to!!!!!
    i was very disapointed.
    whoever made this call should be shot(not really)...

Remember the main goal here. Kanye brought a different audience to tv sets and hopefully raised money that wouldnt have been interested in the show otherwise. He has been a jerk, but he deserves kudos for agreeing to perform in front of a crowd that everyone had to know would not be his normal crowd. Sure I could have done without him, but that is no doubt the reason he got a "main" set. And to that end, I say bravo to him and the organizers.

And, it gave everyone at msg a piss break. Win win.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • The guy sitting next to me was hunched over with his hands over his ears the entire time kayne was playing. :lol:
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I couldn't figure it out last night, but it dawned on me when I re-watched Rogers set today... The sax player, the guy directly behind Ed....he's The Sherman-a-tor from American Pie
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • The guy sitting next to me was hunched over with his hands over his ears the entire time kayne was playing. :lol:
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    I couldn't figure it out last night, but it dawned on me when I re-watched Rogers set today... The sax player, the guy directly behind Ed....he's The Sherman-a-tor from American Pie

That guy had the creepiest smile on his face while Ed was singing.
  • DewieCox wrote:

Not that I know of but Pearl Jam has played it quite a bit.

I was thinking he may come out and do one of those songs with them. but then it occurred to me that he would have killed the vocals, and made Daultry look bad.
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • I think Ed was bumped for the Stones. There quick set seemed like it was squeezed in. Could have done without Kanye and replaced with EV and couple more Stones songs. I was shocked Ed didn't come out with The Who especially considering they played Baba O'Reilly and Love Reign O'er Me.

I still can't believe it myself.
    Waited all night for him to come back out and just kept getting more disappointed.
    The ticket was worth hearing him play with Waters but I needed way more of Ed's voice last night :)
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• JC38557 wrote:
    It was criminal Vedder was on for only half a song. Why not do 3 songs with Waters and a couple with the Who, too? Or do his own stuff?

Anyway, Vedder was the highlight of the night for me, he killed it in the short chance he got. His voice really is unbelievable.

Agree 100%
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Besides Ed's appearance, I'm in the camp that believes that the Who stole the show. I missed Bruce's set, so I can't really comment there. The Stones were just getting into it when their two-song set ended, Billy Joel was his classy self, Sir Paul was great, but the Who rocked it.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Unbelievable show. So lucky to have been there. All the performances were so heartfelt except for Kanye. I tried really hard to have an open mind but his set was just so cold and disconnected in my opinion. And those lights were just too damn bright. I would have loved for Jay Z to have been there instead. Oh well.

Highlights were of course Ed + Roger on Comfortably Numb, City of Ruins, Adam Sandler's Sandy Screw-Ya, Chris Martin's mini-set with surprise guest Michael Stipe, Eric Clapton's set and Sir Paul with Dave, Krist and Pat. And Alicia Keys was out of this world, I cried her entire set and of course at the end during the finale. Bon Jovi was fun, I used to love them very very much.

I kept hoping Ed was going to come out again, I sorta wish they hadn't announced him as a special guest, I was planning to go even before he was announced. The announcement just planted all sorts of expectations in my head! It didn't take away too much from my evening, but it did distract me a little.

I love you NYC heart.gif