Eddie Vedder to perform at Concert For Sandy Relief

Comments

• morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    ^^^^ Yay honey! I'm so glad you had a great time & it was a great experience for you!! :clap::clap::clap:

Has anyone heard how much money they think they've raised yet? I haven't seen anything about that anywhere. I hope it did well.

I just watched Chris Martin & Michael Stipe doing Losing My Religion before(I missed that when I was wathcing it live) & WOW!!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    morello wrote:
    Has anyone heard how much money they think they've raised yet? I haven't seen anything about that anywhere. I hope it did well.
    Heard over $50 million, $30 million from ticket sales alone. I really hope they release the full audio and DVD!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,816
    My first chance to comment on the show.

Waters cant even sing anymore he talks the lyrics. He looked like such a tool pounding his chest, waving his arms etc.

So much potential for vedder to sit in with the who or the stones or gasp, grohl and novoselic-that would have been something.

I was so disappointed with comfortably numb it was not very good IMHO.

I thought Billy Joel, McCartney and the Who killed it. The Chris martin stipe thing was cool, but stipe was flat.

Seeing all those acts in one place must have been very cool, but it seems clear to me that the show was more about getting names on stage, which is all good because it was for charity.

But I cant help thinking how great it is when Eddie and Pete are on stage together.
    Get_Right wrote:

Waters cant even sing anymore he talks the lyrics. He looked like such a tool pounding his chest, waving his arms etc.

So much potential for vedder to sit in with the who or the stones or gasp, grohl and novoselic-that would have been something.

I thought Billy Joel, McCartney and the Who killed it. The Chris martin stipe thing was cool, but stipe was flat.

Seeing all those acts in one place must have been very cool, but it seems clear to me that the show was more about getting names on stage, which is all good because it was for charity.

But I cant help thinking how great it is when Eddie and Pete are on stage together.
    Wow, I'm sorry that was your experience. I agree it was a lost opportunity on the lack of collaborations, that's what I was looking forward to the most, but someone I was talking to made a really good point that there were probably too many big names and too many logistical issues. There are sponsors to appease, a massive live broadcast to coordinate and needing to maximize the fundraising potential. I think the average person would not have appreciated Ed on stage with Bruce or The Who the way we would have. The organizers did a phenomenal job.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    edited December 2012
    My opinion on the night after having a day to "sleep it off" and watch it again on my DVR. It turned out long. I like to hear myself "talk." Great night. Great cause, great crowd, great show. Glad I was one of the lucky ones.

First, the crowd did not come through on TV as much as I would have liked. Being there was (beyond the obvious) a completey different experience, and my thoughts reflect that somewhat. From best to worst (in my opinion):

1. The Who - First as always. They are killer. They have stuff other artists wish they could pull out. Pete is still great and Roger sounds great. Can he hit every note? Of course not. To those thinking they should just stop haven't really been paying attention. And, to the guys criticizing Roger's open shirt - we should all hope to look like that now let alone when we're 67. Top notch, the clear winner to me. Glad they pulled out Bell Boy. This became the theme of the night with folks going deep into their catalogs and not just playing hit after hit. And the crowd was more than up for it.

2. Roger Waters - not just for Eddie Vedder, though that was clearly one of the top guest appearance of the night. His whole set blew the crowd away. When EV was standing with him at the end, and the crowd was all arms raised in the bright lights of the Garden, you could almost see Roger say - you may have Betterman, but this is how it feels. The kids from the dance school were great. Glad he returned with them as they were equally fantastic at Yankee Stadium. EV was great, and I believe got one of the best receptions of the night (surely of any guest appearance, but I'm actually saying OVERALL).

3. Billy Joel - simply killed it. Glad he dug into his repitoire and pulled out River of Dreams. Might have seemed like odd placement of his set, but it was perfect, as was he. He is such a great entertainer, and proved it once again. (And what's better than someone Jewish singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas?)

4. Paul McCartney - Was looking most forward to seeing him as I have never seen him live, and he did not disappoint. Great show. Helter Skelter!!!! - Wow!!!! Another guy that knows how to do it. Disappointed the crowd did not come through on TV on Blackbird. That turned into a massive sing along, and it did not seem to come through on TV at all. One of the highlights of the night was the ending - Alicia Keys was awesome, perfect song, perfect timing, perfect ending. We're all thinking everyone's going to come out, and this was better. Paul standing with the first responders. Just a great show, and a great ending. Glad he's adopted NY (As much as we've adopted him).

As for the "Nirvana" thing - meh. Great to see Grohl on the drums. He was a madman and fantastic. Pat seemed thrilled to be there, but what's up with Krist? Green pants and a dour look? Is that how he's always been? Anyway - decent song, but nothing terribly memorable. Alicia Key's "guest spot" with Paul was clearly the memorable "guest" performance in this set.

5. Eric Clapton - Great set, and probably would be higher if it was longer. Great song choice going deep into his catalog with Nobody Knows and Gotta Get Better. Showed his licks. Put on a great show. The one set I'd say needed to be longer.

6. Bon Jovi - Not the biggest fan of theirs, but they know how to put on a show. Crowd really into it. Solid appearance by Bruce.

7. Chris Martin - Michael Stipe was a great guest appearance. I am not an REM fan, but Losing My Religion was one of the highlights of the night. Especially liked Chris saying something like - "this is really happening" - as they are starting the song. Nothing like getting one of you (apparent) heroes to come up and sing with you. One of the top guests of the night. The other 2 songs were ok, but quite frankly, placing him above the Stones and Keys solely on this.

8. Rolling Stones - I guess this set could have been longer, too. 2 songs? Entertaining, but weird song choice. Glad they showed up. Mick's haircut was distracting. Ron and Keith sounded good. They were good, as always, but the shortness with no real terrific highlights or surprises (I mean - they couldn't get Alicia to help them out on Shelter?) costs them a notch.

9. Adam Sandler/Paul Schaeffer - had to slip them in. Loved it. I'm sure some folks didn't, but it was the funniest appearance of the night. And, who isn't glad that Sanchez's Butt Fumble now lives on in infamy?!!!! Sandy, screw ya!!!!!! (Also glad for the Isiah Thomas reference - hoping the fact that he allowed someone to make fun of him on his stage means Dolan is finally over his man crush).

10. Alicia Keys - Ok. Mellow. She has a terrific voice, but nothing special otherwise. Could not see sitting through an hour of her based on this. Not including the closing here which was spot on perfect from song choice to her performance. Maybe, she knew she was saving the best for last. If you want to include that as part of her set, move her up above Bon Jovi.

11. Bruce - sorry. Full disclosure - I don't like him. But, I did try. I stood through the entire performance. The best part was JBJ coming out. How NJ has adopted Bruce as their favorite with JBJ playing 2nd fiddle is beyond me. Bon Jovi's own set blew this away and his guest appearance was the most entertaining part of the performance (and the very brief People Get Ready). This is my impression of Bruce - growl, say something like balls, growl, Jersey Shore, growl, end song, 1, 2, 3 - restart song for a reprise!!!! Jersey Shore. Good god. His band should lose him. They were great when they were allowed to "breath." And maybe it was just me, but he really only had half the crowd into it (despite the place being filled the entire time) until JBJ came out for Born to Run. He placed himself perfectly in the line-up, as he was long forgotten by the time Waters hit his 3rd note.

If there were more space, I'd add it, but there's not enough to bottom out:

7,326. Kanye West - the wtf? was that performance of the year. Hopefully, they achieved their goal of getting some donations they would not have otherwise. A leather skirt with leather leggings and sweatshirt cut down the sides? Let's just move on. (one other funny note to add, though - on the bid site for items his "game worn" sweatshirt is on the block - until last night it was the only thing there was no bid on. The original minimum bid was $3,000 - similar to Bruce's "game worn" shirt. - Last night a bid finally appeared at the $1,000 level they lowered the minimum to. Why do I have a feeling the bidder is Kim? :lol: ).

Best Guest appearances:
    1. Alicia Keys with Paul
    2. EV with Waters
    3. Stipe with Martin

Best NY performers:
    1. Billy Joel
    2. Alicia Keys with Paul finale
    3. The Crowd (knew we were into it, when we picked up on the countdown before the start of the show. Assume they did that for TV. It was kind of cool.)

Best NJ performers:
    1. Bon Jovi
    2. Jon Stewart
    3. Bruce

Best Lines (Paraphrased):
    1. Mick - This is the biggest collection of old English musicians at the Garden. If it rains in London, you've gotta come help us.
    2. Jon Stewart - This may be the greatest Hannukah show ever!
    3. Adam Sandler - Sandy, screw ya!!!!!
    4. Chris Martin - this is really happening (probably what Ed was thinking).
    5. Jon Stewart - When Roger Waters was out here, how many of you remembered where you hid your pot in 9th grade?
    EDIT: 6. Pete Townshend - Have a fuckin' beer (I'm ashamed I forgot to put this in originally).

I'm sure I'll get a lot of disagreement, especially on Bruce. Just one man's opinion (And being 11th on THAT list ain't bad.)
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    A leather skirt with leather leggings and sweatshirt cut down the sides?
    Meggings. Everyone's doing it in NYC, apparently.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ?fb=native
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I loved Eric Clapton... he was my favorite of the night ...Crossroads omg! :D
    then I fell asleep not long after :oops: I stopped taping, DVR was almost full.

I thought Bon Jovi really got the crowd going which makes a big difference for me.
    Jon seemed so sincere, his heart in it.
    I don't own a song of theirs but really loved the performance.

If Ed could only have done some of his songs, a set, that would have been magical.
    It's Christmastime, magic would have been nice.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    8. Rolling Stones - I guess this set could have been longer, too. 2 songs? Entertaining, but weird song choice. Glad they showed up. Mick's haircut was distracting. Ron and Keith sounded good. They were good, as always, but the shortness with no real terrific highlights or surprises (I mean - they couldn't get Alicia to help them out on Shelter?) costs them a notch.
    Good writeup! Much appreciated. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was distracted by Mick's haircut.
    http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3s6zlu/
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    So....Paul McCartney played Blackbird. It was a good night.

I had zero expectation that Vedder would have his own set, so I wasn't dissappointed about that. Was a little distracted during the Who set when Eddie was not being brought. But I gotta over it.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I was actually thinking the Stones looked really good.
    Mick so fit, he looked nice stripping down in his outfit. All black 8-)
    Considering early lifestyle they are some diehards indeed.

Gives me some hope ;)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    Get_Right wrote:

I thought Comfortably Numb was really good, but it wasn't because of Roger Water's singing, but, rather, the feeling that Eddie put into it vocally, and both of them put into it in terms of vibe; they had a great chemistry on stage, and that's what I zeroed in on. But I do agree about Water's singing. He wasn't really singing so much as talking, and that did strike me as strange (came off a little like he wasn't trying). It kind of took the passion out of the lyrics. I was happy when Ed took over, who always has passion in his singing. But Waters still had an impressive presence on stage, which is also a talent of Eddie's, and that really made it a special moment IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I thought Comfortably Numb was really good, but it wasn't because of Roger Water's singing, but, rather, the feeling that Eddie put into it vocally, and both of them put into it in terms of vibe; they had a great chemistry on stage, and that's what I zeroed in on. But I do agree about Water's singing. He wasn't really singing so much as talking, and that did strike me as strange (came off a little like he wasn't trying). It kind of took the passion out of the lyrics. I was happy when Ed took over, who always has passion in his singing. But Waters still had an impressive presence on stage, which is also a talent of Eddie's, and that really made it a special moment IMO.

It was a special moment because they were on stage together. But that is about it. This second coming of waters is a joke IMHO. I thought Ed looked awkward and the whole thing looked uncomfortable right up to hug at the end. What a shame Ed couldn't spread his wings a bit or speak a few words. Kudos to Ed for showing up, giving his all and letting waters have the spotlight.

Maybe I have just been spoiled by all the truly great performances Ed has done with other artists. Ed was billed as a performer and that number with waters felt like a bait and switch.
    Get_Right wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

It was a special moment because they were on stage together. But that is about it. This second coming of waters is a joke IMHO. I thought Ed looked awkward and the whole thing looked uncomfortable right up to hug at the end. What a shame Ed couldn't spread his wings a bit or speak a few words. Kudos to Ed for showing up, giving his all and letting waters have the spotlight.

Maybe I have just been spoiled by all the truly great performances Ed has done with other artists. Ed was billed as a performer and that number with waters felt like a bait and switch.
    Well, fair enough. I didn't find it awkward personally, and I found the hug quire genuine and sweet, but not everyone feels the same about shit! :) I do agree that Waters should give it up. I mean, I went and saw Pink Floyd in '94 for that Division Bell tour, and even then, nearly 20 years ago, I thought he should probably throw in the towel!
    Totally agree that it would have been nice if Ed could have "spread his wings" for this one, but it was a successful concert that raised tons, so no harm no foul!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Well, fair enough. I didn't find it awkward personally, and I found the hug quire genuine and sweet, but not everyone feels the same about shit! :) I do agree that Waters should give it up. I mean, I went and saw Pink Floyd in '94 for that Division Bell tour, and even then, nearly 20 years ago, I thought he should probably throw in the towel!
    Totally agree that it would have been nice if Ed could have "spread his wings" for this one, but it was a successful concert that raised tons, so no harm no foul!

Roger Waters quit Pink Floyd after "The Final Cut" in 1985...he wasn't part of the 1994 tour!
    :?
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

Roger Waters quit Pink Floyd after "The Final Cut" in 1985...he wasn't part of the 1994 tour!
    :?
    Oh yeah. :lol: Long time ago. I forgot. Never mind that shitty Division Bell album then - not Water's fault. ;)
    I only hope that EV is half as good as McCartney when he is 70
  • DrdealDrdeal Posts: 695
    This concert was so much more than a "concert". It was an outpouring of support for a catastrophic situation.The vibe inside the Garden was like a gathering of lottery winners with everyone sharing the story of how they scored a ticket. I am 49 and felt very young at this gig as the median age looked to be 63.

Eddie put his special vocal imprint on this event in the short time he was on stage. Watching Ed walk to the right side of the Garden stage, stop, look around like he always does and then raise his fists in a victory stance was priceless.

Bruce, Roger/Ed, Clapton, The Stones, The Who and McCartney were highlights for me. Very happy to have
    scored a ticket. Well worth the Benny I gave up to be there.

Many Thanks to Suzie May for making this night happen for me.

Regards, Andrew
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    edited December 2012
    Ed had to have stepped aside for the Rolling Stones and Chris Martin when they were added to the bill after the initial line up was introduced. Fucking Chase Bank.

Roger Waters, while being a man responsible for moving alot of units back in the day, needs to get the eff over himself. No one gives a rats. Watch him drink in that "adulation" when he first takes the stage, like people were there to see him. When Susan Sarandon said Eddie Vedder was going to be joining him, my heart sank. I knew immediately we were going to get the Waters who is a pompous rockstar douchebag, and not anything with feeling or emotion. Do me a favor and substitute Hard Sun or Light Today or Love Boat Captain, or Come Back or Thumbing my Way or Wishlist or I Am Mine for Stand Still Laddie...YOU yes YOU.

Don't give me that do goody good bullshit. Roger Waters doesn't even SING that SONG.

As far as Kanye West is concerned, I say listen to the tapes. He walked out there and KILLED it. He was looking into a huge throng of people not in his demographic, 90% of them couldn't care less about him, let alone listen to him at top volume. Every word and beat is 5 steps beyond correct. Yay is a mf'in genius, although I personally wouldn't wear that outfit and the lighting looked pretty frickin harsh, even on tv. He kicked a hole in the speaker, pulled the plug and then jetted. What else would you expect him to do?

Some observations...
    Adam Sandler's delivery is as good, if not better than the funniest person you've ever met.
    Alicia Keys rules.
    Eric Clapton's set was perfect. "Got to Get Better in a Little While" is how rock music should sound.
    The Rolling Stones, perfect, why stick around?
    Never sleep on Billy Joel.
    The Who, while I liked the Keith appearance, I just saw a Quadrophenia special with that same bit of video with Keith and those headphones. I prefer the Pete experience to Roger. If relegated to a supporting role, Eddie would have been a better fit here.
    Job Bon Jovi and Bruce? I'm sorry, but I've never gotten the whole Bruce Live vibe, (that is not to say that I don't like the records...Nebraska, Tunnel of Love, Tom Joad, Darkness, and The River are masterpeices), LIVE? he just bores me to tears. When I see Jon Bon Jovi, I always think of how he looked on the cover of his first record with those boots.
    Chris Martin (with MS) was the biggest surprise for me. He just floored me. Awesome.
    Paul McCartney has been doing these charity concerts for a long time. He sounded great.
    Grohl's a huge rockstar so nothing bothers him or fazes him apparently. Krist Novoselic looked lost.

Just my 2 cents...
    Jay
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Adam Sandler is funny now? Roger Waters is terrible? Bruce has a bad vibe? Thumbing my way should have been played instead of Helter Skelter? These are things I have read and it appalls me. Considering most of us cream our shorts over one song on a setlist that PJ plays a as a band, we are griping that Ed did not play more. Really? Listen to Comfortably Numb again and tell me you would rather hear 4 songs off of Into the Wild (though they may be better), than that..... It was a great night and appreciate.
    JW13709 wrote:
    Adam Sandler is funny now? Roger Waters is terrible? Bruce has a bad vibe? Thumbing my way should have been played instead of Helter Skelter? These are things I have read and it appalls me. Considering most of us cream our shorts over one song on a setlist that PJ plays a as a band, we are griping that Ed did not play more. Really? Listen to Comfortably Numb again and tell me you would rather hear 4 songs off of Into the Wild (though they may be better), than that..... It was a great night and appreciate.
    Oh, come on. Adam Sandler's always been funny - he just has a shitty agent! :D

I would personally way rather hear 4 songs from into the wild.... Comfortably Numb got me through a lot of acid trips and stoned campfire sing-alongs in my day, but I think at some point one gets passed that song if it's heard enough times or they stop taking psychedelics. :lol:;)

I quite enjoyed the performance though.

Roger Waters, while being a man responsible for moving alot of units back in the day, needs to get the eff over himself. No one gives a rats. Watch him drink in that "adulation" when he first takes the stage, like people were there to see him. Roger Waters doesn't even SING that SONG.

As far as Kanye West is concerned, I say listen to the tapes. He walked out there and KILLED it.
    Just my 2 cents...
    Jay

I totally agree, I think waters looked like a tool up there waving his arms, pounding his chest and pointing at the crowd.

I don't like Kayne's rap style, but the dude can certainly rap. I though coming out in that skirt was ballsy, almost punk. I respect that he was up there by himself and giving 110%. It was a passionate performance, and I can respect that even though I don't really care for his tunes.
    JW13709 wrote:
    Adam Sandler is funny now? Roger Waters is terrible? Bruce has a bad vibe? Thumbing my way should have been played instead of Helter Skelter? These are things I have read and it appalls me. Considering most of us cream our shorts over one song on a setlist that PJ plays a as a band, we are griping that Ed did not play more. Really? Listen to Comfortably Numb again and tell me you would rather hear 4 songs off of Into the Wild (though they may be better), than that..... It was a great night and appreciate.

When you lead with "Adam Sandler is funny now?"...and use the word APPALLED, well...

They're opinions, just like you, we're allowed to have them. Save being appalled for real injustice and tragedy.

Adam Sandler is (and always has been) officially funny. I'm not saying Jack and Jill didn't suck, but you gotta cut Operaman some slack. He's also a decent ACTOR, see Reign Over Me, Funny People, and Punch Drunk Love.
    Bruce doesn't have a BAD vibe, it's just the vibe he has, I dont get.
    Roger Waters and The Wall have a BAD vibe. I was 13 years old when that record came out, and it has been a constant thing in my life since then. At 13, I certainly didn't understand it, in high school I learned to think it was cool, through my 20s and 30s (as the Wall was going up) I came to understand it. I'm not about to celebrate it. It's a pretty bleak journey that Waters is on, and if he's going to go out there and present "The Wall", (somthing he's done since 1990 as his own creation, his gift to the masses) then he should just sing the uptempo, feelgood numbers that he sang on the record, like Nobody Home, Empty Spaces, Don't Leave Me Now, Goodbye Cruel World, and In The Flesh? Spare us the Scott Stapp lookalike David Gilmour soundalike who sings ALL the GOOD songs in the Floyd catalog. Tearing down the Wall isn't as easy as Roger Waters would have you believe. I've spent most of the past 15 years working on it. Why didn't he come out and play What God Wants from Amused to Death? Wouldn't that have been more appropriate for the Sandy benefit? Certainly more appropriate than "Money". Watching RW thouroghly enjoying himself onstage while his backup singer sang "Don't give me that do goody good bullshit", I actually stood up and howled at the TV. Eddie hadn't even come onstage yet and I was ready to shoot the TV. How would you feel if Paul McCartney played Help! (Sandy victims surely do need your help, keep on-a-donatin', the money goes right to the people...) with a nameless backup singer handling the John Lennon vocals.
    Again, this is just my opinion, I find Waters to be the complete rockstar tool. Not as bad as Bon Jovi, but a rockstar tool none the less.

Dont even get me started on Bon Jovi...
    I can't remember where I read about people not caring for The Who / too many no US acts bla bla bla, I've been posting on multiple threads and I'm still a little sleep deprived so bear with me :lol::lol: .

The Who, Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones and McCartney in particular are very relevant to NYC. I found this article about The Concert For New York City in 2001 organized in part by Paul McCartney right after 9/11 to raise money and honour first responders. I had no idea this even happened, I had just moved to NYC when 9/11 happened and was too buried in my own worries and concerns at the time. It warms my heart to know that NYC can continue to count on these mega rock stars who will always stand with us. And as Alicia Keys said on 12/12/12, this is EVERYBODY's city which is part of why I live here. Everyone belongs here.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomwatson/2 ... -new-york/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Concer ... _York_City
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,351
    Suziemay wrote:
    Pre-order the full soundtrack from the 121212 concert on iTunes now, featuring Bon Jovi, Paul McCartney, Alicia Keys, Bruce Springsteen and more at http://www.itunes.com/121212.

Event organizers confirmed that CD will be available early next year, and price of the itunes show will not go up after the concert.

Only interested in the 12 record vinyl set. I wish.

Same here. Would be down for a copy. :)

Also for a Blu-ray / DVD / Digital Copy Collectors Edition Set! :angel:
  • Ed had to have stepped aside for the Rolling Stones and Chris Martin when they were added to the bill after the initial line up was introduced. Fucking Chase Bank.

Roger Waters, while being a man responsible for moving alot of units back in the day, needs to get the eff over himself. No one gives a rats. Watch him drink in that "adulation" when he first takes the stage, like people were there to see him. When Susan Sarandon said Eddie Vedder was going to be joining him, my heart sank. I knew immediately we were going to get the Waters who is a pompous rockstar douchebag, and not anything with feeling or emotion. Do me a favor and substitute Hard Sun or Light Today or Love Boat Captain, or Come Back or Thumbing my Way or Wishlist or I Am Mine for Stand Still Laddie...YOU yes YOU.

Don't give me that do goody good bullshit. Roger Waters doesn't even SING that SONG.

As far as Kanye West is concerned, I say listen to the tapes. He walked out there and KILLED it. He was looking into a huge throng of people not in his demographic, 90% of them couldn't care less about him, let alone listen to him at top volume. Every word and beat is 5 steps beyond correct. Yay is a mf'in genius, although I personally wouldn't wear that outfit and the lighting looked pretty frickin harsh, even on tv. He kicked a hole in the speaker, pulled the plug and then jetted. What else would you expect him to do?

Some observations...
    Adam Sandler's delivery is as good, if not better than the funniest person you've ever met.
    Alicia Keys rules.
    Eric Clapton's set was perfect. "Got to Get Better in a Little While" is how rock music should sound.
    The Rolling Stones, perfect, why stick around?
    Never sleep on Billy Joel.
    The Who, while I liked the Keith appearance, I just saw a Quadrophenia special with that same bit of video with Keith and those headphones. I prefer the Pete experience to Roger. If relegated to a supporting role, Eddie would have been a better fit here.
    Job Bon Jovi and Bruce? I'm sorry, but I've never gotten the whole Bruce Live vibe, (that is not to say that I don't like the records...Nebraska, Tunnel of Love, Tom Joad, Darkness, and The River are masterpeices), LIVE? he just bores me to tears. When I see Jon Bon Jovi, I always think of how he looked on the cover of his first record with those boots.
    Chris Martin (with MS) was the biggest surprise for me. He just floored me. Awesome.
    Paul McCartney has been doing these charity concerts for a long time. He sounded great.
    Grohl's a huge rockstar so nothing bothers him or fazes him apparently. Krist Novoselic looked lost.

Just my 2 cents...
    Jay

Kanye sucks thank you
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    Maybe Kayne is from N.Y. and thats why he was on the bill. But it seemed more geared towards Rock.I'm not a fan of his .All the hype for Eddie to perform,built me up. And then to find that He only did one song with Pink Floyd, Shut me down.All in all,It was a great concert for a good cause. I did not know that Eddie took a back seat to anyone until I read the last post. That answers alot of my questions.I know in my heart of hearts, that he could have bettered many of those songs, had he been given the chance to Duet. I'm baffled that the" Who "didn't have him sing with them. They're his Idol. Well, I could babble on but I won't. I found the reason why. Thank's!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    JW13709 wrote:

I agree with your post til this rubbish. Comfortably Numb is better than the entire ITW album and I love the album.
  • donnaruhl wrote:
    Maybe Kayne is from N.Y. and thats why he was on the bill. But it seemed more geared towards Rock.I'm not a fan of his .All the hype for Eddie to perform,built me up. And then to find that He only did one song with Pink Floyd, Shut me down.All in all,It was a great concert for a good cause. I did not know that Eddie took a back seat to anyone until I read the last post. That answers alot of my questions.I know in my heart of hearts, that he could have bettered many of those songs, had he been given the chance to Duet. I'm baffled that the" Who "didn't have him sing with them. They're his Idol. Well, I could babble on but I won't. I found the reason why. Thank's!

Donna, I agree 100%, I waited all night long for him to come back on...
    When Kanye got on stage, I immediately left and hung out with the security guards who agreed, he didn't belong with the rock legends that were on that stage
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

Kanye sucks thank you
    donnaruhl wrote:
    Maybe Kayne is from N.Y. and thats why he was on the bill.

He's from Chicago.
  • I read these posts once in a while but never post. I went out of my way to find my password just so I could agree with the following statement made by Tiki "something"

"As far as Kanye West is concerned, I say listen to the tapes. He walked out there and KILLED it. He was looking into a huge throng of people not in his demographic, 90% of them couldn't care less about him, let alone listen to him at top volume. Every word and beat is 5 steps beyond correct. Yay is a mf'in genius, although I personally wouldn't wear that outfit and the lighting looked pretty frickin harsh, even on tv. He kicked a hole in the speaker, pulled the plug and then jetted. What else would you expect him to do?"

I am kind of a Kanye fan. I like some of his hits...and I totally agree with the quote above. That was not his crowd. That crowd, especially in the front of and close to the stage was rich and super rich white men and women ages 35 to 65 and he put on a great show despite the audience in front of him.