Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    shawndyershawndyer Posts: 269
    I think they need to speak with the boss.
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Oracle to pay $2 million to settle foreign bribery case with US Securities and Exchange Commission - @Reuters http://bit.ly/NFRJdR

What a company! :P
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    boyo79 wrote:
    I wonder if they were trying to tell us something with the "Shut Up And Listen" t-shirts on the Euro tour....

I didn't know about these. Maybe they were a response to a poster I remember on the AMT once starting a thread telling Ed to just shut up and sing. (A contradiction in terms, I know. But there's a lot of that bullshit on AMT, in case you don't know).
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,306
    I check the forums pretty much every day and the majority of the time I find it to be quite a positive experience. I enjoy it here, there are some cool people and it can be fun and informative at times. But every now and then something will come up that makes people really start to lose their shit.

As hard as I try to resist them I am always drawn to threads like this one like a moth to a flame. As pjsteelerfan said in the second post in this thread:
    I know where this thread is heading :lol:
    and he was right. I still waded through over 650 posts to see if there was anything that would change my opinion on this. There wasn't.

I really couldn't care less whether they play the Oracle show or not. They could play 10 of them for all I care. Apart from the fact that it's a show that I won't get to see, it will have no impact on my life at all. It's really not the beginning of the end, as some on here have been claiming.

I was lucky enough to see the two Manchester shows in June and honestly they were 2 of the best shows I've ever seen them play. I'm sure most people that saw the Euro shows will agree that their shows now are as good as they have ever been. The PJ fans that are lucky enough to be at this conference are going to have a great time when they play. The non-PJ fans will either like what they hear and become fans or walk away and get on with their lives.

They are a rock band. Granted, they are a really fucking good one, but they are still just a rock band. I didn't start following PJ because I believe everything that they believe, I started because 'Alive' blew my mind. I don't need to hang off every word that Eddie says and treat it as gospel. I'm a grown man, I have my own beliefs. I am here for the music.

At the end of the day...

I still really fucking love this band.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    goldrush wrote:

At the end of the day...

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    KG1450 wrote:
    Ha, I feel bad for PJ and crew, nothing they do is ever good enough for their self entitled fans!! I have been in the fan club since the early days, enjoyed 57 amazing shows,always in great seats at a great price! I am now an adult instead of a 20 yr fan, and appreciate any chance I get to see them live. As an IT professional who works with Oracle daily, I have wanted to attend OpenWorld since 1997, so this is a great opportunity to see them, as a small business owner who is a PJ fanatic it makes the high CONFERENCE fee more palatable. I apologize to those who can't attend, but if I promise to post the setlist will you chill the f' out? While Larry Ellison is over the top at times, his company has built what Many consider to be the best product in their space, so however successful oracle or Larry is, it is not my place to complain. To my knowledge, oracle products are not made in Chinese sweat shops or manufactured under crap conditions, but I imagine most of these uninformed sellout c'plaints are being posted on apple products(ironic I know)... These guys and their supporting crew have done so much to ensure their fans have access to the best seats, posters, shirts, and MUSIC, is it too much to ask to give them the benefit of the doubt on this? If they are making money to play this show, who really cares? In the end they all have responsibilities to their families and the corporation that is ten club... Do you really think eddie should be living in his truck from the vs. days still? .... Btw, if they had the ten club ticket stuff on oracle products we wouldn't have had ticket problems!!!!! :):) Keep on Rocking in the free world, unless it's the oracle conference I guess...
    that was a great post...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    KG1450 wrote:
    Ha, I feel bad for PJ and crew, nothing they do is ever good enough for their self entitled fans!! I have been in the fan club since the early days, enjoyed 57 amazing shows,always in great seats at a great price! I am now an adult instead of a 20 yr fan, and appreciate any chance I get to see them live. As an IT professional who works with Oracle daily, I have wanted to attend OpenWorld since 1997, so this is a great opportunity to see them, as a small business owner who is a PJ fanatic it makes the high CONFERENCE fee more palatable. I apologize to those who can't attend, but if I promise to post the setlist will you chill the f' out? While Larry Ellison is over the top at times, his company has built what Many consider to be the best product in their space, so however successful oracle or Larry is, it is not my place to complain. To my knowledge, oracle products are not made in Chinese sweat shops or manufactured under crap conditions, but I imagine most of these uninformed sellout c'plaints are being posted on apple products(ironic I know)... These guys and their supporting crew have done so much to ensure their fans have access to the best seats, posters, shirts, and MUSIC, is it too much to ask to give them the benefit of the doubt on this? If they are making money to play this show, who really cares? In the end they all have responsibilities to their families and the corporation that is ten club... Do you really think eddie should be living in his truck from the vs. days still? .... Btw, if they had the ten club ticket stuff on oracle products we wouldn't have had ticket problems!!!!! :):) Keep on Rocking in the free world, unless it's the oracle conference I guess...

This guy nailed it.
    Except I don't think that too many people wish they could attend this show. Possibly the first time and hopefully the last time that will ever be said in 10c!

I would not attend this show, no way, no how.

Besides without you guys in the crowd, it really isn't a true PJ show ;)

I'm done with this thread, it's a downer, it is what it is. Love PJ's music, can't wait for Missoula. I hope to see pictures posted to the Group Hug thread and this time I will be in them. Night all.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    goldrush wrote:
    I check the forums pretty much every day and the majority of the time I find it to be quite a positive experience. I enjoy it here, there are some cool people and it can be fun and informative at times. But every now and then something will come up that makes people really start to lose their shit.

As hard as I try to resist them I am always drawn to threads like this one like a moth to a flame. As pjsteelerfan said in the second post in this thread:
    and he was right. I still waded through over 650 posts to see if there was anything that would change my opinion on this. There wasn't.

I really couldn't care less whether they play the Oracle show or not. They could play 10 of them for all I care. Apart from the fact that it's a show that I won't get to see, it will have no impact on my life at all. It's really not the beginning of the end, as some on here have been claiming.

I was lucky enough to see the two Manchester shows in June and honestly they were 2 of the best shows I've ever seen them play. I'm sure most people that saw the Euro shows will agree that their shows now are as good as they have ever been. The PJ fans that are lucky enough to be at this conference are going to have a great time when they play. The non-PJ fans will either like what they hear and become fans or walk away and get on with their lives.

They are a rock band. Granted, they are a really fucking good one, but they are still just a rock band. I didn't start following PJ because I believe everything that they believe, I started because 'Alive' blew my mind. I don't need to hang off every word that Eddie says and treat it as gospel. I'm a grown man, I have my own beliefs. I am here for the music.

At the end of the day...

I saltue you and agree with every bit you posted here! Its a rock band, not life or death. I think we're all guilty of putting PJ and EV more so on a pedestal. I'm attracted to the band because of the music, not because of the beliefs. I don't agree with every single word Ed says and nor should you or I or anyone of us.

Now, where's that new album.....
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,945
    So despite my initial misgivings about the situation I have checked with my boss and they say that if I really want to I can book Pearl Jam for our company Christmas party this year.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Spags wrote:
    So despite my initial misgivings about the situation I have checked with my boss and they say that if I really want to I can book Pearl Jam for our company Christmas party this year.

What a great idea! I'm coming your works do!

• Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    haha 45 pages. :fp:

some people reeeeeally need to get a grip on reality if this somehow affects their life.

go put on some 98 boots and relax.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    haha 45 pages. :fp:

some people reeeeeally need to get a grip on reality if this somehow affects their life.

go put on some 98 boots and relax.

I think you're right. Its just an event they are playing, it's not like they've killed anyone. Now that probably would make me stop liking the band!

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    boyo79 wrote:
    I think you're right. Its just an event they are playing, it's not like they've killed anyone. Now that probably would make me stop liking the band!

What if they killed Ted Nugent, or Madonna?
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Just curious...will anyone not enjoy PJ music/concerts as much as they used to because the boys are playing the Oracle show?

Hard to day , they play so few shows these days, will most people even get the chance? 99% of the people at the show at OpenWorld could give a shit, but die hard fans all over the US will go another year with no shows in their town.
  • Options
    skanji32skanji32 Posts: 592
    How do you feel about Pearl Jam attending Oracle OpenWorld?
    RED HOT ANGER - Pissed as hell - PJ are sellouts
    MILD DISCONTENT - It surprised me for sure, but not angry
    NO PROBLEMO - Totally AOK with me - PJ can do no wrong!
    Still reflecting and undecided

http://poll.pollcode.com/n52w4
    My 22 shows:
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Montreal, Toronto
    2000 - Montreal, Toronto
    2003 - Toronto, Montreal
    2004 - Boston I, Boston II
    2005 - Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa
    2013 - London, Seattle
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Some people have too much time on their hands...funny though :lol:
    7797937762_6669653f81.jpg
  • Options
    Now that a few days have gone by and I've had time to let this sink in, I have to go with PJSoul's point of view. I do feel disappointed and a bit sad about this turn of events, but I'm not going to let it affect my love of the band and their music. And if a US tour is looming on the horizon, I'll be there! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,218
    eldarion75 wrote:

That's funny... I'm of the mind this isn't anything to get worked up about

Still funny :)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    eldarion75 wrote:

This is hilarious
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    I was angry as hell when i first saw it but then the batman reference hit me and i had to laugh.
    None of this is a big deal. They're an independent band, the money from this gig probably helps pay for recording or charities or any amount of stuff. i'd pay to go if i could.
  • Options
    joemorr88joemorr88 Boston, MA Posts: 30
    goldrush wrote:

At the end of the day...

Well said!
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Maybe the money they get will be used to finish off the 2011 Xmas vinyl????
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    I doubt there's many people on this board who are losing sleep over this. But, its certainly worth discussing. Far more interesting than most of the other threads on this board. I rarely post here, but I couldn't resist with this topic.

:corn:
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    jrnyc wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Just curious...will anyone not enjoy PJ music/concerts as much as they used to because the boys are playing the Oracle show?

Hard to day , they play so few shows these days, will most people even get the chance? 99% of the people at the show at OpenWorld could give a shit, but die hard fans all over the US will go another year with no shows in their town.

I think this is where most of the frustration on this thread comes from. The fact that it's Oracle who they are playing for here really doesn't matter to me. Just that they would play some event like this rather than a real show for their real fans sucks. Especially with the lack of US shows the past couple years.
  • Options
    how many bands, successful bands, tour when they have no album to promote? since the last studio album, they have toured:

-nearly half the US (INCLUDING DATES IN THE SOUTH)
    -Canada
    -Europe
    -South America

AND HOSTED THEIR OWN WEEKEND FESTIVAL.

what do you people expect???

and they aren't Kiss. do you want them to put out a good album every 4 years, or a piece of crap every 6 months?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    dougfloyd wrote:

Sure, some portion of the people there will use this as kind of a paid vacation to get out of the office for a few days but this conference is a pretty big deal for most people who deal with Oracle for their jobs. Having been a couple times as an attendee, you can get a lot more out of this experience than you would just taking an Oracle training class in your home city. You can attend Q&A sessions with senior people who were actually involved in writing some of the Oracle software products, talk to representatives from other companies that have tools that might be able to help you in your job, network with other people and user groups that are probably troubleshooting the same issues that you deal with every day. It can be a very productive trip if you choose to put in the effort to gain something from it, it's not just a vacation. The "free" concert is not on people's minds when they send employees to this conference, the majority of people have already been registered for a couple months now anyway. I would dispute that they are playing for a bunch of "well off"people, the majority will be middle class folks just like the rest of us.

I'm in a little bit of a different situation, so yes, actually the $2,500 is coming out of my pocket, a lot more than that actually. I'm part owner of our small business so what we spend on stuff like this means less money at the end of the year for any kind of bonus. We've signed up to host a booth at the conference to meet potential new clients and grow our business. Between the booth and the travel and buying promotional giveaway stuff, we're probably in for close to $20k and I definitely wouldn't spend that kind of cash if seeing Pearl Jam was the only benefit I'm getting out of this conference.

Having said all that, I still understand why people are frustrated that they are playing these types of events yet not doing any regular touring in the US so everybody can see them. I just think it's a misperception that this is some private concert for a bunch of rich people, that is all.

Now carry on with the bitching... :corn:
    Fair enough. Solar World's antagonistic prose had me following suit a bit yesterday. I shouldn't have made it sound like no one takes these things seriously. I'm sure many do, while others don't....all depends on ambition, I suppose. And I'm also sure there will be a lot of average income people in attendance.
    As for the expense, I was only pointing out that no one is really paying for this out of pocket, and I think you can be included in that based on what you said above. Sure, this is money you could have put in your pocket.....But you are making a business investment, and (without knowing much about American taxation) you will probably get a healthy chunk of that money back thru your tax claims....it's only smart accounting to re-invest a certain amount of your income to minimize your taxes...and I'd think you wouldn't be spending this money if you didn't see an eventual improvement in your bottom line (or at least maintenance of it), as a result. So I don't think I misrepresented anything by saying that most people are there either on their company's dime, as a small biz owner who can write it off, or they are rich enough that $2400 doesn't matter to them.....which makes the show pretty f'n exclusive, considering those three categories apply to a really small, generally pretty privileged, percentage of the population.
  • Options
    do you want them to put out a good album every 4 years, or a piece of crap every 6 months?

Well, its coming up on 10 years since their last good album, 12 since their last great one.
  • Options
    DS107374DS107374 Posts: 92
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Man its like IQ points just fall out of people's heads on this message board. Is it really THAT hard for all of you to understand? You people really dont get it? There are more than 5 people in Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam LLC costs a lot of money to run, if a company (Ed has personal ties to someone at Oracle, a fact that most people here cant put their little minds around) like Oracle offers a fat payday for you during your "festival" year, in this economy where no one buys music anymore, you fucking take it! And you dont think twice about what a bunch of spoiled keyboard warriors are going to think about it when you know you have food to put on the table and employees counting on you. Everyone that has an issue with this has no idea what it costs to run a huge business, much less have any idea what a 40% tax return looks like. Get a clue and shut up... there is the door.

Again, Pearl Jam fans have gotten LAME.

Finally, a realist.
    Randall's Island, NY 9/29/96; Camden, NJ 9/2/00; Philadelphia, PA 10/3/05; East Rutherford, NJ 6/1/06; Virginia Beach, VA 6/17/08; Camden, NJ 6/19/08; Philadelphia, PA 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
  • Options
    DS107374DS107374 Posts: 92
    goldrush wrote:

At the end of the day...

Preach on preacher!
    Randall's Island, NY 9/29/96; Camden, NJ 9/2/00; Philadelphia, PA 10/3/05; East Rutherford, NJ 6/1/06; Virginia Beach, VA 6/17/08; Camden, NJ 6/19/08; Philadelphia, PA 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
  • Options
    do you want them to put out a good album every 4 years, or a piece of crap every 6 months?

Well, its coming up on 10 years since their last good album, 12 since their last great one.

well that's a matter of opinion, not fact. while it took a while for backspacer to grow on me, I actually listen to it now just as often as the others.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014