Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    Larry Ellison owns a Hawaiian Island. Ed wants to surf off of it. This gig gets him an invite for life. End of story.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 09000.html
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    JMoJMo Posts: 1,071
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JMo wrote:
    I'm late to thread, since I have been out of pocket all week. But I have to say, I am disappointed. However, I've heard through the grapevine that this isn't the first corporate/private gig the boys have done.

Things have changed. They have families now. I know I would like to be a punk rock kid with my finger to the man, but I have a family to support and that steers me in a different direction. I kind of wish this show was before Montana. That Montana show would make everyone forget they even played this.
    They don't need to do this to take care of their families. Just because someone has a family doesn't necessarily lead to people doing lame shit. This family excuse doesn't fly AT ALL.

I'm not saying they can't survive on the cash that they have. I'm just saying, this isn't 1995 Pearl Jam.
    My PJ shirts cost twice as much. My PJ tickets cost 6 x what they did. They have Ipad cases! I was taken back, slightly, but not surprised much.

By the way, why do they need an 'excuse' anyway? Again, I'm disappointed that they are doing an event like this, but I still love this band.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    JMo wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JMo wrote:
    I'm late to thread, since I have been out of pocket all week. But I have to say, I am disappointed. However, I've heard through the grapevine that this isn't the first corporate/private gig the boys have done.

Things have changed. They have families now. I know I would like to be a punk rock kid with my finger to the man, but I have a family to support and that steers me in a different direction. I kind of wish this show was before Montana. That Montana show would make everyone forget they even played this.
    They don't need to do this to take care of their families. Just because someone has a family doesn't necessarily lead to people doing lame shit. This family excuse doesn't fly AT ALL.

I'm not saying they can't survive on the cash that they have. I'm just saying, this isn't 1995 Pearl Jam.
    My PJ shirts cost twice as much. My PJ tickets cost 6 x what they did. They have Ipad cases! I was taken back, slightly, but not surprised much.

By the way, why do they need an 'excuse' anyway? Again, I'm disappointed that they are doing an event like this, but I still love this band.
    So do I. But still. ;)
    I kind of think they do need an excuse - or at least Ed does - because he kind of preaches to his fans about this, and isn't practicing what he preaches. He left the door open to this criticism all by himself.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I kind of think they do need an excuse - or at least Ed does - because he kind of preaches to his fans about this, and isn't practicing what he preaches. He left the door open to this criticism all by himself.

I think many of us feel this way. I personally don't care that they are playing this gig, but it doesn't keep with much of the rhetoric over the years. And not all of that rhetoric was back in the 90's.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    edited September 2012
    Post edited by Stardog3.. on
  • Options
    PrlJamrPrlJamr Posts: 74
    2009 interview:
    Vedder said: "Any conversations we hear about 'So who are Pearl Jam marketing to?' are despicable. People offered us money to sell out but do I look like a whore?"

Sure looks that way ...
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Post edited by Stardog3.. on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    I don't think Pearl Jam are greedy at all, as their tour schedules pretty much confirms that they aren't trying to maximize their cash flows. I think they have a level of income they want to maintain and try to do the least amount of touring and album making to get there.
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Think the band is reading any of this or has someone mentioning it to them?

I am still open to those who are so ticked off they are giving their collection away. :D

I keep checking this thread....why! I do not mind either... I guessed I joined the party too late in 1998... there was not as much angst...or as much coming through from the previous albums. :corn:
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    try to do the least amount of touring and album making to get there.

That's sad. Not that you said that, but the thought that is what it has come to.
  • Options
    Stardog3.. wrote:

That's sad. Not that you said that, but the thought that is what it has come to.
    I don't think that's their attitude at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Stardog3.. wrote:

I'm not saying that the attitude is bad, I just think that is where they are with the band right now.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    PrlJamr wrote:
    2009 interview:
    Vedder said: "Any conversations we hear about 'So who are Pearl Jam marketing to?' are despicable. People offered us money to sell out but do I look like a whore?"

Sure looks that way ...

Here's the interview

EDDIE VEDDER has said the band have not sold out and he is not a "corporate whore".

The singer-guitarist said Kurt Cobain had accused the band of playing a corporate version of alternative rock in the early 1990s.

Vedder said: "Any conversations we hear about 'So who are Pearl Jam marketing to?' are despicable. People offered us money to sell out but do I look like a whore? :roll:

"It's always about being honest and the positive side of the huge success for whatever negatives there were, was that it gave us the power to say no and be able to commit to making decisions on our own and stick by them."

He added that he and the Nirvana frontman, who committed suicide in 1994, had some "great conversations" when he was still alive.

Vedder said: "If Kurt were around today, I know he'd say to me, 'Well, you turned out OK'."

Pearl Jam reissue their debut album Ten in four formats next week.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a1 ... whore.html
  • Options
    OHMYFUCKINGGOD!!! chili peppers are playing salesforce.com's conference this year:
    https://www.facebook.com/salesforce/app_267313373383654

i hate them now! anthony never would have done this in 1986! he told us so! i will never buy another thing from them, their music lost all meaning, they are sellouts, we have nothing in common anymore! i resent their ability to perform their trade to make a living!

this thread is a joke.
    We were but stones... Your light made us stars
  • Options
    OHMYFUCKINGGOD!!! chili peppers are playing salesforce.com's conference this year:

i hate them now! anthony never would have done this in 1986! he told us so! i will never buy another thing from them, their music lost all meaning, they are sellouts, we have nothing in common anymore! i resent their ability to perform their trade to make a living!

this thread is a joke.

I don't know much about the Chili Peppers but I've never heard them to be a preachy band like PJ was.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Larry Ellison owns a Hawaiian Island. Ed wants to surf off of it. This gig gets him an invite for life. End of story.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 09000.html

Ed has already played Lanai, for an Oracle private party, last year. Before Larry bought it. Nice try though.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Stardog3.. wrote:

I'm not saying that the attitude is bad, I just think that is where they are with the band right now.
    I don't. I think they are just more busy with other things and aren't getting off on touring as much as they used to now that they all (besides Jeff) have kids. I don't think their minds are at "how to make the most with the least amount of work." And they do so much on the side, that they don't have the time for PJ like they used to. I don't think their PJ tour scheduling is about money ... although this one stupid corporate gig surely is!
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Everyone up PJs ass for "selling out" should watch this.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/video/22345 ... &cdn=Video
  • Options
    whatdudewhatdude Posts: 143
    well said! can i be your +1? Please? jk...not really. I'm only a few blocks from Moscone......cheers.

KG1450 wrote:
    Ha, I feel bad for PJ and crew, nothing they do is ever good enough for their self entitled fans!! I have been in the fan club since the early days, enjoyed 57 amazing shows,always in great seats at a great price! I am now an adult instead of a 20 yr fan, and appreciate any chance I get to see them live. As an IT professional who works with Oracle daily, I have wanted to attend OpenWorld since 1997, so this is a great opportunity to see them, as a small business owner who is a PJ fanatic it makes the high CONFERENCE fee more palatable. I apologize to those who can't attend, but if I promise to post the setlist will you chill the f' out? While Larry Ellison is over the top at times, his company has built what Many consider to be the best product in their space, so however successful oracle or Larry is, it is not my place to complain. To my knowledge, oracle products are not made in Chinese sweat shops or manufactured under crap conditions, but I imagine most of these uninformed sellout c'plaints are being posted on apple products(ironic I know)... These guys and their supporting crew have done so much to ensure their fans have access to the best seats, posters, shirts, and MUSIC, is it too much to ask to give them the benefit of the doubt on this? If they are making money to play this show, who really cares? In the end they all have responsibilities to their families and the corporation that is ten club... Do you really think eddie should be living in his truck from the vs. days still? .... Btw, if they had the ten club ticket stuff on oracle products we wouldn't have had ticket problems!!!!! :):) Keep on Rocking in the free world, unless it's the oracle conference I guess...
    10/30/93 SJ, 6/24/95 SF Polo Fields, 7/15/06 SF, 12/2/06 Hawai'i, 6/24/08 MSG1, 6/25/08 MSG2, 8/28/09 OutsideLands SF, 10/9/09 SD, 10/23/10 Bridge I, 9/25/11 Vancouver, 9/30/12 Missoula, 10/3/12 Oracle Openworld, 7/19/13 Wrigley Field, 11/26/13 Oakland, 10/22/14 Denver, 10/25/14 Bridge I, 5/1/16 MSG1, 5/2/16 MSG2, 8/5/16 Fenway 1, 8/7/16 Fenway 2, 8/20/16 Wrigley Field 1, 8/22/16 Wrigley Field 2, 8/8/18 Seattle 1, 8/10/18 Seattle 2, 8/13/18 Missoula, 9/2/18 Fenway 1, 9/4/18 Fenway 2 
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Paydays like these help PJ finance recording/releasing records without the burden of a record label.
  • Options
    Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    I was just kidding when I wrote "get pearl jam to play" and dropped in their suggestion box at a seminar last year..

certified oracle dba right here, dudes ;
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    pearljim wrote:
    Maybe the money they get will be used to finish off the 2011 Xmas vinyl????

Look at the last post on page 20... ;)
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    JimmyV wrote:
    If Led Zeppelin got on stage at Walmart I would rock my face off. :lol:

Isn't one of those guys dead though?
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594

this thread is a joke.

I don't know much about the Chili Peppers but I've never heard them to be a preachy band like PJ was.

If this were a RHCP board I'm guessing people would have a problem with it. It's not though.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    KG1450 wrote:
    so this is a great opportunity to see them, as a small business owner who is a PJ fanatic it makes the high CONFERENCE fee more palatable. I apologize to those who can't attend, but if I promise to post the setlist will you chill the f' out?

Good luck with your 45-min greatest hits set that cost you almost 2,400 bucks. Yes, post the setlist and surprise me with Strangest Tribe if at all possible please :lol:
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyhIIVgg78A
    1:59 - 2:09

dysfunctional Gallagher Bros said it best....
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Not sure what to think about this without the details of their agreement.
    Is it for Charity? Is it for quick money only?
    Is it as a personal favor?
    Do they own lots of Oracle stock?
    Have they given up their anti corporate stance?
    Can the Budwieser beer signs remain uncovered in venues now?

Left to our own devices, we will assume the worst, as usual.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    JimmyV wrote:
    If Led Zeppelin got on stage at Walmart I would rock my face off. :lol:

Isn't one of those guys dead though?

Part of the reason it would be so amazing. :D

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Folks you are not looking at this the right way.

Kelly Curtis: Larry, can you fix the 10C ticket system?
    Larry Ellison: Sure, I will do it for free if the band plays my convention.
    Kelly Curtis: Not gonna happen.
    Larry Ellison: Well then go ask Bill Gates, he wont do it for free.
    Kelly Curtis: Ok, you promise the servers wont fail when 100,000 rabid fans from around the world try to buy 2,000 pairs of tickets for MSG?
    Larry Ellison: No problem.
    Kelly Curtis: Its a deal.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    Get_Right wrote:
    Folks you are not looking at this the right way.

Kelly Curtis: Larry, can you fix the 10C ticket system?
    Larry Ellison: Sure, I will do it for free if the band plays my convention.
    Kelly Curtis: Not gonna happen.
    Larry Ellison: Well then go ask Bill Gates, he wont do it for free.
    Kelly Curtis: Ok, you promise the servers wont fail when 100,000 rabid fans from around the world try to buy 2,000 pairs of tickets for MSG?
    Larry Ellison: No problem.
    Kelly Curtis: Its a deal.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap::clap::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”