Options

Whats going wrong with the world? More shootings

Comments

• Options
    blueandwhiteblueandwhite Posts: 662
    hedonist wrote:
    hedonist wrote:
    To address the intolerance of sex comments...really? And swearing too?

I disagree. These have become embraced, for the most part.

Look at most "music" videos out there right now and you'll get a fat dose of both.

I disagree with your disagreement. When it comes down to it, the things that are most likely to be censored in a video are nudity before violence in America.

Many people still get up in arms when a woman publicy breast feeds. Just a few weeks ago two ladies were photographed for a magazine while breastfeeding and in their army gear. One of the two ladies was fired from her job because of the photo shoot from what I understand.
    Perhaps full-on nudity is censored but I've seen pretty close to it, not to mention simulated sex and what I like to refer to as "air-fucking".

Anyway, I think none of those should be censored to begin with.

(and sorry for derailing)

Honestly, prime time television depicts numerous homicides on TV each week. Shows like CSI provide me with graphic visuals showing skulls being shattered and bullets tearing through arteries along with blood splatter patterns. Despite the regular carnage on network television, nobody swears, strips or has overt sex on American networks. Even when the CSI examiners are dissecting a murder victim who has experienced severe trauma to his body we are somehow spared the indecency of seeing the victim's naked body. Apparently human anatomy is more offensive than seeing a person blown to bits.

I find it fascinating that I'm supposed to feel shame for having a sex life but at the same time I should feel nothing when exposed to overt acts of graphic violence. The fact that this has become so ingrained in our culture is extremely unnerving. I can openly say that I'm not as shocked or unsettled by this Aurora massacre as I should be.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    pandora wrote:
    it matters not if there are guns in this world ...
    they are a means only

what we need to look at is why do people not value life, their own or others

The guns matter too.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    We have become numb as a society to these kinds of tragedy's , this is par for the course it will keep on happening yr in yr out and nothing will ever come of it .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Honestly, prime time television depicts numerous homicides on TV each week. Shows like CSI provide me with graphic visuals showing skulls being shattered and bullets tearing through arteries along with blood splatter patterns. Despite the regular carnage on network television, nobody swears, strips or has overt sex on American networks. Even when the CSI examiners are dissecting a murder victim who has experienced severe trauma to his body we are somehow spared the indecency of seeing the victim's naked body. Apparently human anatomy is more offensive than seeing a person blown to bits.

I find it fascinating that I'm supposed to feel shame for having a sex life but at the same time I should feel nothing when exposed to overt acts of graphic violence. The fact that this has become so ingrained in our culture is extremely unnerving. I can openly say that I'm not as shocked or unsettled by this Aurora massacre as I should be.
    Oh, I totally agree that aired violence is more common; just saying that sex - and not necessarily limited only to nudity - is fairly prevalent as well.

As for my reaction...no, not necessarily surprised either. But I am disturbed by it, and greatly saddened.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited July 2012
    ComeToTX wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    they are a means only

The guns matter too.
    agree... they most certainly do matter. it is all in their fantasy...guns rattling away killing everyone like some kinda video game come to their nasty ass terror
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited July 2012
    mental messed ppl + guns = and it can spell bad news
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    pandora wrote:
    they are a means only

Agreed. I'm a firm believer in "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

More people are killed and injured in mass car bombings and by suicide bomber. Just look at the death numbers in this list of mass car bombings alone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_car_bombings
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Godfather. wrote:
    maybe gun taining and safty classes in high schools would be a start.

Godfather.

Oh God...please tell me you're kidding.
    Just what we need - to introduce more guns to more kids? :fp:

It's the blow 'em up, shoot 'em up American mentality that is the problem, combined with too lax gun laws and regulations.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Interesting that nobody in the media has called this a terrorist attack yet.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Well nobody in the media has called fort hood a terrorist attack either.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    It’s time for Freedom Group and the NRA to step up to the plate with more than just ‘guns don’t kill people, people kill people’. Colorado needs more and the people need more as they weigh the 2nd Amendment and these continuing mass killings.

We have the largest imprisoned population in the western world, we have some of the toughest sentencing laws even under the age of 16, including life, and, we exercise the death penalty.

We have armed our civilian population so that they can protect themselves, we have passed laws requiring background checks and wait periods to try and prevent criminals and the mentally unstable from acquiring weapons.

It’s not working, so what’s left? You (Freedom Group and NRA) keep screaming that you want the Federal government to leave our gun policy alone, however, it seems their hands are being forced to address a limited gun control campaign, if you remain silent on this matter, if you continue to ignore a growing discord.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    unsung wrote:
    Well nobody in the media has called fort hood a terrorist attack either.

Not true. Do a google search.
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    MotoDC wrote:
    If just one person like that old man in the internet cafe had been there, many lives could have been saved.

ahh, the 'what if's' once again.

Hopefully, any intelligent gun owner is not going to even think about returning fire in this theater situation in the dark, with smoke filled air, and people running all over. If you don't know what is behind your target and/or cannot see your target, you do not shoot.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    MotoDC wrote:
    If just one person like that old man in the internet cafe had been there, many lives could have been saved.

ahh, the 'what if's' once again.

Hopefully, any intelligent gun owner is not going to even think about returning fire in this theater situation in the dark, with smoke filled air, and people running all over. If you don't know what is behind your target and/or cannot see your target, you do not shoot.

He had body armor on head to toe. It's a worthless argument.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    ComeToTX wrote:

He had body armor on head to toe. It's a worthless argument.

Such a coward.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    426946_10151022418927978_2465282_n.jpg
  • Options
    The Onion nails it...

WASHINGTON—Americans across the nation confirmed today that, unfortunately, due to their extreme familiarity with the type of tragedy that occurred in a Colorado movie theater last night, they sadly know exactly how the events following the horrific shooting of 12 people will unfold.

While admitting they "absolutely hate" the fact they have this knowledge, the nation's 300 million citizens told reporters they can pinpoint down to the hour when the first candlelight vigil will be held, roughly how many people will attend, how many times the county sheriff will address the media in the coming weeks, and when the town-wide memorial service will be held.

Additionally, sources nationwide took no pleasure in confirming that some sort of video recording, written material, or disturbing photographs made by the shooter will be surfacing in about an hour or two.

"I hate to say it, but we as Americans are basically experts at this kind of thing by now,” said 45-year-old market analyst Jared Gerson, adding that the number of media images of Aurora, CO citizens crying and looking shocked is “pretty much right in line with where it usually is at this point." "The calls not to politicize the tragedy should be starting in an hour, but by 1:30 p.m. tomorrow the issue will have been politicized. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if the shooter’s high school classmate is interviewed within 45 minutes."

"It's like clockwork," said Gerson, who sighed, shook his head, and walked away.

According to the nation's citizenry, calls for a mature, thoughtful debate about the role of guns in American society started right on time, and should persist throughout the next week or so. However, the populace noted, the debate will soon spiral out of control and ultimately lead to nothing of any substance, a fact Americans everywhere acknowledged they felt "absolutely horrible" to be aware of.

With scalpel-like precision, the American populace then went on to predict, to the minute, how long it will take for the media to swarm Aurora, CO, how long it will take for them to leave, and exactly when questions will be raised as to whether or not violence in movies and video games had something to do with the act.

The nation's citizens also confirmed that, any time now, some religious figure or cable news personality will say something unbelievably insensitive about the tragic shooting.

"Unfortunately, I've been through this a lot, and I pretty much have it down to a science when President Obama will visit Colorado, when he will meet with the families of those who lost loved ones, and when he will give his big speech that people will call 'unifying' and 'very presidential,'" Jacksonville resident Amy Brennen, 32, said, speaking for every other person in the country. "Nothing really surprises me when it comes to this kind of thing anymore. And that makes me feel terrible."

"Oh, and here's another thing I hate I know," Brennen continued, "In exactly two weeks this will all be over and it will be like it never happened."
  • Options
    They just nailed it again...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nra-pl ... ing,28858/

FAIRFAX, VA—In the wake of last evening's horrific shooting that killed 12 in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, representatives from the National Rifle Association asked all Americans to please try, in this moment of sadness and grief, to remember the myriad great and indispensable things that guns do for us every day. "While the events of last night are truly tragic, I sincerely hope that no one at any point forgets how truly terrific guns are, and how they enrich all of our lives on a regular basis," said NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre, adding that the nation's citizens must open up their hearts in this time of mourning and realize how simply unlivable a life without gun ownership would be. "From hunting, to protecting one's home from prowlers, to target practice, why, there is practically no end to the ways in which guns are constantly improving our lives every moment of every day. As awful as this shooting was, none of us should ever forget that." LaPierre then closed his remarks with a direct plea to the people of Aurora, asking them to try and imagine where they would be today without the citizen's right to bear arms.
  • Options
    It's really not too soon for politics on this issue. It's been ignored for far too long. My tolerance for the NRA has completely expired. I'm not saying they're all bad people, but they opposed the assault weapons ban which President Bush and sadly many Democrats let expire in 2004... and that was completely and utterly immoral. There is no need for weapons like that. I don't think there's even a need for a small gun to protect one's home, but I can somewhat understand it. Assault weapons I can't understand at all.

I'm not using this tragedy as a political platform... I am simply tired of living in fear! I have no sympathy for anyone who fears what the government might do if we ban more guns... that is not a rational fear. Gun control is not oppression... it's freedom from fear - a form of oppression. I don't think it is possible to believe in freedom and also support the NRA given its current positions.
  • Options
    Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
    For the record....my original post had nothing to do with guns!

It was to do with values on life! There seem to be a number of threads on gun use and those in favor or against gun use seem to take over anything to do with guns! TBH i dont think this issue is gun related at all! Just because on this occasion the weapon was a gun doesnt mean next time it couldnt be something else.

Can we move on from the gun debate please!

For the record.... as much as it breaks my heart that kids were injured and killed during this shooting, I have to ask firstly, who brings their kid to the cinema at midnight, and secondly does no one else think that this movie would have been full of violence and not suitable for kids as young as were in the cinema?

Part of the issue with becoming desensitised to violence stems in the age at which kids are exposed to it!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    Fifi_Ireland, I appreciate that the original post had nothing to do with guns... but I don't think you should be surprised that it turned into a discussion about guns... how else would this have happened? A bomb? Possible, but to have a bomb or any other weapon that could kill so many people at once would be illegal. The guns this troubled young man used were legal.... it was much too easy for him to do what he did... which is why it was the sixth mass shooting this year alone in the US.

I agree with you about bringing young kids to a violent movie... I've seen it many times, and I don't get it either.
  • Options
    I understand what you are saying, but the point I am making is that its the morals and lack of respect for life that is leading to these acts rather than the fact people have guns. If you raise peoples respect for each other then they will turn away from violent acts and consider the consequences of what they are doing more.

I'm pretty sure that at least 14 people were beaten to death/ died from random acts of violence yesterday in the US and this wont be commented on at all its just that guns are a contencious issue in the US and theres more than one victim involved that has this particular act in the media!

The focus needs to be taken away from the weapons and a look at values done instead. If all guns were taken away tomorrow people would still be killed by random stuff like this as these people will turn to a different weapon!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    I understand what you are saying, but the point I am making is that its the morals and lack of respect for life that is leading to these acts rather than the fact people have guns. If you raise peoples respect for each other then they will turn away from violent acts and consider the consequences of what they are doing more.

And that's a fine point to make. I think you explain very well what causes violence. I think we need be better at understanding how people lose respect for life, and to reach out to those who appear troubled. But how do we prevent someone who's lost respect for life from shooting people? I think it's easy to prove that there would be less violent crime if there were less guns, and I don't think we should think it's too difficult to begin creating a society with less guns.
  • Options
    I dont disagree with you but here in Ireland there arent guns and I made the point in my first point someone went to a gig and stabbed 9 people, sure none of them died but its still crazy.
    I'm pretty sure we're on the same wavelength in the long run ;)
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Options
    The access to guns in the US is really scary. Assault rifles and hand guns? Why? I can understand people owning a hunting rifle or a shot gun for hunting... but what purpose does an assault rifle serve other than killing people? Who hunts with a handgun?

How can one argue that fewer guns (and absolutely no automatic or semi-automatic guns) would not make a difference with regards to gun related homicides and these types of events?

I feel awful for those people in the theater... and shame on those (such as the NRA) that have consistently and defiantly and sometimes even tastelessly stood in the way of legislation that just may have kept these victims safe from the weapons that took their lives. If a person wants a really cool gun, they should be able to have it- regardless of any national tragedy that consistently rears its head?

Remember, when your constitution was written, there might have been a legitimate need for weapons. Times have changed.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    The access to guns in the US is really scary. Assault rifles and hand guns? Why? I can understand people owning a hunting rifle or a shot gun for hunting... but what purpose does an assault rifle serve other than killing people? Who hunts with a handgun?

How can one argue that fewer guns (and absolutely no automatic or semi-automatic guns) would not make a difference with regards to gun related homicides and these types of events?

I feel awful for those people in the theater... and shame on those (such as the NRA) that have consistently and defiantly and sometimes even tastelessly stood in the way of legislation that just may have kept these victims safe from the weapons that took their lives. If a person wants a really cool gun, they should be able to have it- regardless of any national tragedy that consistently rears its head?

Remember, when your constitution was written, there might have been a legitimate need for weapons. Times have changed.

as far as I know assualt rifles are ilegal but anyway I was just watching cnn .....Jesse jackson is an idiot..a freakin grand stander with the active brain cells of a rock, bottom line I am aginst any gun laws that restrict citizens from owning a gun ...unless they are convicted fellons or mently challenged with violent behavior, when something like this happens the death penality right away, no shrinks no ple-deals no long drug out trials..straight to the death chamber ! period......thats my rant :D

Godfather.
  • Options

I mean, i SORT of take your point.

However one could argue now IS the time for guns.
    We have high unemployment and rapidly debasing currency (severely masked by slow-as-molasses velocity of money, but bad enough that UBS is talking about "hyperinflation") ...

I don't want to jump-to-baseless-Nazi-comparisons but this is *functionally* the BEGINNING of a similar climate to Post WWI Germany. Obviously we're physically wrecked by war, though you could make comparisons to the de-industrialization of America and being ruined by war ;) ... and certainly we are saddled with ridiculous debts just like the reparations placed on Germany were ridiculous ... but the point is we are on the verge of entering a socio-political climate similar to the one in which a Dictatorial Regime took control of another once proud country in another era ... and so it COULD be rationally argued that now would be the time for American's to be on guard against tyranny and to keep arms on hand in defense of their liberties.

But hey, like i said, I SORT of take your point.
    I know that in THEORY the "good guys" "won" the last real war, and that in THEORY we have ever-increasingly liberalized and democratized world where the notion of having to shoot your way out of Tyranny is just a bad nightmare from a bygone era ... but *functionally* the climate in the western world could arguably be approaching a similar scenario.

;)

ps - and yes, i'm as sick as anyone over this recent event. have been on the verge of tears a few times today just internally reconciling the mass stupidity seemingly everywhere.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    i love how people are saying "more guns would have saved those people"....

this is hypothetical at best, and i am not dealing with hypotheticals.

imagine this scenario.

you are sitting in a sold out, packed to the gills, dark movie theater. you are sitting there with your "small" bag of huge popcorn and have a large soda in the cupholder near your right hand expecting to see the greatest movie of the summer. you are thinking "this is so awesome!" you might be on a date, or sitting with your niece, or sitting next to your parents or best friend... all of a sudden you hear a small "pop" and you smell the smell and see the sight of gas wafting throughout the theater. then a man in army grade body armor from head to toe, a helmet, and a gas mask comes in and starts shooting people with multiple guns. the people behind you, the people in front of you.... your eyes are watering from the gas and you are in sheer terror as the gunman draws near shooting in random directions, in the DARK, at random people. people are lying there bleeding to death, some are already dead, some are running for their lives, climbing over each other, knocking each other over in attempt to save themselves. sheer and utter chaos ensues...

in that situation, how can anyone honestly say that one or more people could calmly stand up, find the shooter in the dark, get him and him alone in their gun sights, with watery eyes effected by the tear gas, people scurrying about all around them, and shoot him to stop the assault?

i am betting that if you introduce more guns into that situation you are going to have more victims, because shooting at a moving target, while you are terrified, in the dark, with teargas in the confined space, is going to miss his target at least once and hit someone else. this situation is the most challenging scenario to shoot a handgun and hit a target, even for the most accurate marksmen.

i don't buy the argument that more guns could have stopped this tragedy. i am sorry, but i can't believe that at all..
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Critics that gave less than great reviews of this movie received death threats. What does that say about the thirst for violence in this country?
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

as far as I know assualt rifles are ilegal but anyway I was just watching cnn .....Jesse jackson is an idiot..a freakin grand stander with the active brain cells of a rock, bottom line I am aginst any gun laws that restrict citizens from owning a gun ...unless they are convicted fellons or mently challenged with violent behavior, when something like this happens the death penality right away, no shrinks no ple-deals no long drug out trials..straight to the death chamber ! period......thats my rant :D

Godfather.

The rifle he used would have been illegal under the expired assault weapons ban.

Today, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg called on the President and Governor Romney to address gun violence, saying “maybe it’s time that the two people who want to be President of the United States stand up and tell us what they are going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country.”
This discussion has been closed.