Options

Whats going wrong with the world? More shootings

Comments

• Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Like I said in the other thread that old man may have made it worse. The guy threw tear gas in a packed, dark theater and was wearing a bulletproof vest. You want an old man trying to shoot him?
    Worse than 12+ dead and 50+ (according to initial reports, it might be lower now) injured? Doubtful.
    It may be easier just to do our best to keep firearms from crazies.
    We should absolutely work to keep guns away from crazies. I think this is part of what gets these threads off track (not your post in particular, TX). People get so fired up about this topic that we tend not to spend much time discussing the specifics of people's positions on the topic. People reading this thread probably think that I disagree with ALL gun control and probably think that TX/cate/cincy want to ban ALL guns. Even after replying to multiple posts, I couldn't tell you whether people in this thread want an outright ban or just tighter gun laws.

Background checks, waiting periods, and obviously laws against convicted felons buying guns are all great ideas in my mind (any other suggestions, other than an outright ban?). The catch is I also believe it's a states-rights issue, so I don't think the feds should mandate anything.

edit: whoops looks like TX sorta beat me to the punch by one post.
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    ComeToTX wrote:
    We don't have to outlaw guns. We have to make them harder to get. It's not an all or none situation. NRA folks never seem to understand this.
    Eh, that's not really fair, at least in the context of conversations like this. People come in pretty hot, so to speak, so it's hard to tell what the anti-gun crowd here really wants (see my prior post).
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    ComeToTX wrote:

Define crazy. I'm being serious. There is legislation that troops that have served for years who might have PTSD will be banned from purchasing a firearm. Do we really want to leave it up to politicians to define?
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

Define crazy. I'm being serious. There is legislation that troops that have served for years who might have PTSD will be banned from purchasing a firearm. Do we really want to leave it up to politicians to define?

I tend to think most politicians are crazy so the last thing I would want is someone who is already crazy to define just what crazy is.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    know1 wrote:
    There is a segment of the population (a seemingly growing segment) that just seem to want to be noticed for doing something dramatic. The shootings are very sad and extreme examples of that, but I see people quite often now who just do obnoxious, loud, discourteous things. I really think it's somewhat tied to being starved for attention.

I also think it's tied to the fact that you can't access news and media these days without every story being about the "best", "worst", "longest", "oldest" whatever. It seems everything has to be sensational.
    Haven't read the whole thread yet, don't know the full story of this man and what his motives might've been, but I do agree with this.

It's beyond saddening that the look-at-me mentality (doesn't matter for what, just LOOK AT ME) has, for now anyway, trumped integrity and simple decency.

"Teach your children well", my ass.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    So this guy was a med student at PhD who seems to have lived a very normal life. Not one of the crazies I was speaking of. It sounds like he boobie trapped his apartment with all types of explosives. Luckily he told the cops before they went in.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I wouldn't have a problem stopping the manufacturing of automatic assault weapons though. Especially ones that are easlily concealed.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    blueandwhiteblueandwhite Posts: 662
    Speaking as an outsider (Canadian), I'm not convinced that this is the sort of issue that can easily solved be through simple legislation or any other type of social engineering. From my point of view, the United States has a very distinct culture which seems to share an unusually strong fascination with guns and gun violence. I can't think of many other Western societies where violence is so openly celebrated. On the other hand, swearing and sex are still very much viewed as taboo subjects by the media. I'm uncertain as to why Americans embrace violence more than other Western cultures do, but I can't see how banning firearms would change this phenomenon.
  • Options
    ...or maybe it's less of a gun problem and more of a problem with our society.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    ComeToTX wrote:

This is what I think.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

This is what I think.

And things will get worse before it gets better. These things never seem to wake people up for more than a few days to the real problems. Mental health, violence, guns...
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Nothing will come form this tragedy nothing at all will change in this country as far as gun laws ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    original.png
  • Options
    Nothing will come form this tragedy nothing at all will change in this country as far as gun laws ...

Nope. If they did nothing after Giffords then they never will.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    original.png

I'm sure the NRA offices are more concerned about PR and spinning this than they are about the victims. It's just another annoyance for them.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    ComeToTX wrote:

what should "they" do ? really, what changes can be made or laws put into place to slow or stop guns going into the wrong hands ? the laws on gun ownership are pretty tight as it is.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Ok Godfather so nothing will get done and we will have these kinds of shootings and nothing will ever get done , so we will just twittle our thumbs and just go on ....
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    norm wrote:
    original.png

I'm sure the NRA offices are more concerned about PR and spinning this than they are about the victims. It's just another annoyance for them.

they probably wouldn't have to if they were not attacked every time some wacko used a gun in a crime.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

what should "they" do ? really, what changes can be made or laws put into place to slow or stop guns going into the wrong hands ? the laws on gun ownership are pretty tight as it is.

Godfather.

Compared to the rest of the world our gun laws are not strict. We have more gun violence than anywhere else in the world. Not a problem?

How about if you sell a gun illegally to someone who commits a crime with it then you are also held responsible.

In china if you sell a gun illegally you can get the death penalty.
  • Options
    Ok Godfather so nothing will get done and we will have these kinds of shootings and nothing will ever get done , so we will just twittle our thumbs and just go on ....

soooo you have no idea what to do about the problem at hand except to twittle our thumbs :lol:
    yes wackos getting guns is a problem but it's not the fault of rightous gun owners or the manufacters
    maybe a better armed community could help to keep the wackos with guns in check...like the 71 year old hero did in Florida, maybe gun taining and safty classes in high schools would be a start.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Speaking as an outsider (Canadian), I'm not convinced that this is the sort of issue that can easily solved be through simple legislation or any other type of social engineering. From my point of view, the United States has a very distinct culture which seems to share an unusually strong fascination with guns and gun violence. I can't think of many other Western societies where violence is so openly celebrated. On the other hand, swearing and sex are still very much viewed as taboo subjects by the media. I'm uncertain as to why Americans embrace violence more than other Western cultures do, but I can't see how banning firearms would change this phenomenon.

You bring up excellent points. The American tolerance of violence as opposed to tolerance of sex is a huge point of contention with me. It just doesn't make sense how we can be okay with watching someone be filled full of holes on television but the second you see a naked bit people are up in arms. Take Game of Thrones for example. I've seen many discussions about how the nudity and sexuality is gratuitous and unecessary but yet not a word is said about the beheadings or other violent acts that are depicted in the show. Personally, I enjoyed the books and am glad to see them both in the show, but this just outlines the twisted views many Americans seem to take towards something that is more natural (naked people) than something that is less natural (people without heads).
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    unsung wrote:
    FWIW

It took FEMA five days to show up in NOLA.
    It took FEMA three days to show up after those storms a few weeks ago.
    It took FEMA less than an hour to get to this theatre.

I smell a rat.

Seriously?
  • Options
    To address the intolerance of sex comments...really? And swearing too?

I disagree. These have become embraced, for the most part.

Look at most "music" videos out there right now and you'll get a fat dose of both.
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:

soooo you have no idea what to do about the problem at hand except to twittle our thumbs :lol:
    yes wackos getting guns is a problem but it's not the fault of rightous gun owners or the manufacters
    maybe a better armed community could help to keep the wackos with guns in check...like the 71 year old hero did in Florida, maybe gun taining and safty classes in high schools would be a start.

Godfather.

I'm stating that nothing will ever get done about this the laws that are in place have to be revamped and the people who can make changes will just do that twittle their thumbs , and you wan't people to be better prepared by what arming evryone that's exactly what we need more guns :roll: ...
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353

all things not only can be solved by legislation, they must be solved by it. There is no other way...

You make some very good points BTW
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    all things not only can be solved by legislation, they must be solved by it. There is no other way...

how can you legislate what is going on in a person's mind?

this is more rhetorical question than anything else, mike...i get what you're saying but i believe we've reached a point in our society where, regardless of what gun control laws are passed, this will happen again and again

i don't know...i'm just at a loss this morning...can we really stop these types of events?
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

Look at most "music" videos out there right now and you'll get a fat dose of both.

I disagree with your disagreement. When it comes down to it, the things that are most likely to be censored in a video are nudity before violence in America.

Many people still get up in arms when a woman publicy breast feeds. Just a few weeks ago two ladies were photographed for a magazine while breastfeeding and in their army gear. One of the two ladies was fired from her job because of the photo shoot from what I understand.
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    norm wrote:
    mikepegg44 wrote:

this is more rhetorical question than anything else, mike...i get what you're saying but i believe we've reached a point in our society where, regardless of what gun control laws are passed, this will happen again and again

i don't know...i'm just at a loss this morning...can we really stop these types of events?

sorry was sarcasm...I dont think they can be stopped by legislation or at all to be honest. They are just so outside the realm of rational thought
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    mikepegg44 wrote:

sorry was sarcasm...I dont think they can be stopped by legislation or at all to be honest. They are just so outside the realm of rational thought

haha gotcha! it was a strange coming from you ;) and that's the bitch of sarcasm...always a vein of truth to it
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

I disagree with your disagreement. When it comes down to it, the things that are most likely to be censored in a video are nudity before violence in America.

Many people still get up in arms when a woman publicy breast feeds. Just a few weeks ago two ladies were photographed for a magazine while breastfeeding and in their army gear. One of the two ladies was fired from her job because of the photo shoot from what I understand.
    Perhaps full-on nudity is censored but I've seen pretty close to it, not to mention simulated sex and what I like to refer to as "air-fucking".

Anyway, I think none of those should be censored to begin with.

(and sorry for derailing)
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    it matters not if there are guns in this world ...
    they are a means only

what we need to look at is why do people not value life, their own or others
This discussion has been closed.