Options

Whats going wrong with the world? More shootings

Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
edited August 2012 in A Moving Train
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492

I was reading about the latest in unreal shootings at the Batman movie in Aurora and it just makes me so sad. This follows the Anders Brevik shootings in Norway, people are now just walking into random places and killing innocent people all around them showing no emotion.

While I appreciate these things are still unusual and rare, does anyone else feel like common decency is dissappearing and a lack of respect for people around you and a lack of values is causing more deaths and violence all about the place.

We recently had a Swedish House Mafia concert in Dublin and by the end of the event 9 people had been stabbed, 3 died of overdoses, there were brawls of up to 50 people in the streets, people were arrested for indecent behaviour for actually having sex in the middle of the food area (more than one set of people). This was unheard of, and yet no one was really that surprised because the way 'younger' people are acting at the moment it was only a matter of time (not all young people and no i'm not 100)

I would consider myself quite liberal about most things but the loss of 'please' and 'thank you' from common vocabulary is the start of the end as far as I'm concerned. People dont seem to have time to smile and say thank you any more or to step back and allow someone through the door in front of them or to hold it open for the person coming behind them. People nearly look surprised and suspicious when you hold a door open these days.....

anyway sorry about the ramble but it just makes me so sad that we have reached a point where some people hold others lives in their hands and consider them worthless!
168dcfb.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    very sad !! my thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Godfather.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    There is a segment of the population (a seemingly growing segment) that just seem to want to be noticed for doing something dramatic. The shootings are very sad and extreme examples of that, but I see people quite often now who just do obnoxious, loud, discourteous things. I really think it's somewhat tied to being starved for attention.

I also think it's tied to the fact that you can't access news and media these days without every story being about the "best", "worst", "longest", "oldest" whatever. It seems everything has to be sensational.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    It's terrible :-(
    It's very hard to understand these kind of things, it's so unreal.
    Even if it's easy to hate these monsters I can't help wonder what has happend with these sad souls earlier in their lives. How can anyone find meaning in killing innocent people in this way? Has something happened in the childhood or are they born to be evil...?
    Stockholm 2000, 2012, 2014
    Oslo 2014
    NYC (GCF) 2015
    NYC TOTD 2016
    Prague 2018
    Krakow 2018
    Berlin 2018
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Hearing of this it seemed very different than other mass shootings.
    Very much more of a break with reality for the gunman as compared to a payback
    but waiting to hear more about this young man of 24.

As things worsen for many and more division occurs, more disillusionment,
    will we see personal frustration manifest in payback to society by way of lashing out?

I hear it in some young peoples voices, they are pissed.
    Add depression, drug use, mental illness untreated
    and the all important example of others doing just this, mass killing...

This young man was 12 or so when Columbine happened in his backyard.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    this is your 2nd ammendment in practice.. congratulations america.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Unfortunately, this WILL continue in the US and far more frequently than one of the first mass shootings at the Texas University tower in 1966.

Here's a short list of other mass shootings in the US,
    10 U.S. Mass Shootings Involving High-Capacity Ammunition Magazines

Bless those who survived and may they be able to continue living productive lives.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Yes worldwide

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 1812.story

Timeline: Mass shooting incidents in last 25 years

(Reuters) - Here is a timeline of some of the worst shooting incidents carried out by one or two gunmen around the world in the last 25 years:

March 13, 1996 - BRITAIN - Gunman Thomas Hamilton burst into a primary school in the Scottish town of Dunblane and shot dead 16 children and their teacher before killing himself.

April 28, 1996 - AUSTRALIA - Martin Bryant unleashed modern Australia's worst mass murder when he shot dead 35 people at the Port Arthur tourist site in the southern state of Tasmania.

April 1999 - UNITED STATES - Two heavily-armed teenagers went on a rampage at Columbine High School in Littleton, Denver, shooting 13 students and staff before taking their own lives.

July 1999 - UNITED STATES - A gunman killed nine people at two brokerages in Atlanta, after apparently killing his wife and two children. He committed suicide five hours later.

June 2001 - NEPAL - Eight members of the Nepalese Royal family were killed in a palace massacre by Crown Prince Dipendra who later turned a gun on himself and died few days later. His youngest brother also died later raising the death toll to 10.

April 26, 2002 - GERMANY - In Erfurt, eastern Germany, 19-year-old Robert Steinhauser opened fire after saying he was not going to take a math test. He killed 12 teachers, a secretary, two pupils and a policeman at the Gutenberg Gymnasium, before killing himself.

October 2002 - UNITED STATES - John Muhammad and Lee Malvo killed 10 people in sniper-style shooting deaths that terrorized the Washington, D.C., area.

April 16, 2007 - USA - Virginia Tech, a university in Blacksburg, Virginia, became the site of the deadliest rampage in U.S. history when a gunman killed 32 people and himself.

November 7, 2007 - FINLAND - Pekka-Eric Auvinen killed six fellow students, the school nurse, the principal and himself with a handgun at the Jokela High School near Helsinki.

September 23, 2008 - FINLAND - Student Matti Saari opened fire in a vocational school in Kauhajoki in northwest Finland, killing nine other students and one male staff member before killing himself.

March 11, 2009 - GERMANY - A 17-year-old gunman dressed in combat gear killed nine students and three teachers at a school near Stuttgart. He also killed one other person at a nearby clinic. He was later killed in a shoot-out with police. Two additional passers-by were killed and two policemen seriously injured, bringing the death toll to 16 including the gunman.

June 2, 2010 - BRITAIN - Gunman Derrick Bird opened fire on people in towns across the rural county of Cumbria. Twelve people were killed and 11 injured. Bird also killed himself.

April 9, 2011 - NETHERLANDS - Tristan van der Vlis opened fire in the Ridderhof mall in Alphen aan den Rijn, south of Amsterdam, killing six before turning the gun on himself.

July 22, 2011 - NORWAY - Police seize a gunman who killed 69 people at a youth summer camp of Norway's ruling political party, on the small, holiday island of Utoeya. Anders Behring Breivik is later charged with the killings, as well as with an earlier bombing in Oslo which killed eight people. The trial ended last month with Breivik saying that his bombing and shooting rampage was necessary to defend the country - prompting a walk-out by relatives of his victims.

December 13, 2011 - BELGIUM - Gunman Nordine Armani killed three people, including a 17-month-old toddler, wounding 121 in a central square in the eastern city of Liege, before shooting himself. The next day Belgian investigators found the body of a woman in warehouse used by the gunman raising the death toll, including the killer, to five.

July 20, 2012 - UNITED STATES - A masked gunman killed 14 people and wounded 50 others when he opened fire on moviegoers at a showing of new Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises" in the city of Denver.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    How could this have happened? The theatre was a declared "gun-free" zone. I don't get it.
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Where is my knee-jerk emoticon...

Oh well this will have to do... :roll:
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    unsung wrote:
    How could this have happened? The theatre was a declared "gun-free" zone. I don't get it.

Because our gun laws make it very easy for anyone to get a gun.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Anyhow, really tragic events. I feel for the families involved. Have they released any info about the shooter? The news this morning wasn't saying anything at all.

Also, somebody has to say it -- wtf Colorado? Columbine, now Aurora? And I feel like I'm forgetting another one too.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    So when is enough enough is this country when will the fuck heads up on Capitol Hill say enough and start to overhaul the gun laws in this country , Fuck the NRA fuck the rifles the assault weapons .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

No, this was a criminal breaking the law.

This:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/18/fl ... e-robbery/

is the 2nd amendment in practice.
  • Options

This:

But there is a difference between criminals having guns and every bat-shit crazy person able to get them. We have far too many bat-shit crazy people that have access to guns and use them to kill. Without that access, these same bat-shit crazy people couldn't do what they do. The list of criminals that actually want to kill is pretty small really. Mostly they want to take your stuff, not your life. These crazy bastards only want to take life.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uo94DS ... re=related

i always think about this scene from "No Country for Old Men" on days like this.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung wrote:

You missed my point.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    It does seem if there is a hell, it's certainly been filling up over the last few years, some really really evil.
  • Options
    FWIW

It took FEMA five days to show up in NOLA.
    It took FEMA three days to show up after those storms a few weeks ago.
    It took FEMA less than an hour to get to this theatre.

I smell a rat.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    unsung wrote:

You missed my point.

No i didn't, you are ignoring the main point. But nice try trying to be funny.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    is anyone honestly surprised by this?

this shit happens every month in this country and we all act all surprised every time. we act as shocked as if it is the first time it has ever happened or something...

we have a gun problem in this country, and the people that can solve it can't, and those that can legislate it refuse to even debate it.

this is going to happen as long as there are guns, and we are going to continue to be shocked by it, and we will do nothing about it.

how long until the nra has a rally in colorado? i'm guessing 7 days....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

This:

But there is a difference between criminals having guns and every bat-shit crazy person able to get them. We have far too many bat-shit crazy people that have access to guns and use them to kill. Without that access, these same bat-shit crazy people couldn't do what they do. The list of criminals that actually want to kill is pretty small really. Mostly they want to take your stuff, not your life. These crazy bastards only want to take life.
    The list of bat-shit crazy people that want to take as much life as possible is even shorter.

Anyhow, I'm not even clear what point you'r trying to make other than that you hate guns and you might be cool with criminals having guns.

This doesn't seem like a spur of the moment, temporary insanity killing spree. He had tear gas at least. Seems very pre-planned. Even if guns were outlawed, you don't think this batshit crazy person could have gotten a couple of handguns illegally? Sure it might be "harder" than it currently is to get a handgun, but being a bit more difficult isn't the kind of thing that stops batshit crazy.

If just one person like that old man in the internet cafe had been there, many lives could have been saved.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

this shit happens every month in this country and we all act all surprised every time. we act as shocked as if it is the first time it has ever happened or something...

we have a gun problem in this country, and the people that can solve it can't, and those that can legislate it refuse to even debate it.

this is going to happen as long as there are guns, and we are going to continue to be shocked by it, and we will do nothing about it.

getting rid of guns would not work to eleminate mass murders and random killings the wackos would just find another way to kill,guns arnt the only weapon used to kill on a large scale ,a planted bomb would have possibly killed and mamed many more.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Of course we are, are you out of your mind?
    this shit happens every month in this country
    Except that it doesn't. It DOES happen far too often however, I'll grant you that.

The world might be a much better place if guns had never been invented. But it's a bit too late for that. Outlawing guns now isn't going to keep them out of the hands of batshit crazy.
    Though I obviously support the 2nd amendment, I do hope you're wrong. Aurora needs time to heal; no need to throw the topic in their face.
  • Options
    MotoDC wrote:
    Anyhow, I'm not even clear what point you'r trying to make other than that you hate guns and you might be cool with criminals having guns.

Right, you got it exactly.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    MotoDC wrote:

OK maybe I needed a "LOL" after the second part of my sentence, but it didn't feel like that kind of thread. Obviously you're not literally "cool with criminals having guns", but read your post. It could be taken that way. So seriously then, other than that you dislike (is that a better word for you?) guns, what was your point?
  • Options
    MotoDC wrote:

This doesn't seem like a spur of the moment, temporary insanity killing spree. He had tear gas at least. Seems very pre-planned. Even if guns were outlawed, you don't think this batshit crazy person could have gotten a couple of handguns illegally? Sure it might be "harder" than it currently is to get a handgun, but being a bit more difficult isn't the kind of thing that stops batshit crazy.

It most certainly would be harder and give police, etc the chance to stop it before it happens.

Let me ask you this, do you believe that terrorists have wanted to kill americans since 9/11? Has it happened? Have plans been foiled? Why is that?

It will take some time to get to a level that is comfortable because there are just too many guns out there. But I certainly think it is possible.

And if you are worried about having access to weapons to protect you from your government, you are just bat-shit crazy already because your handguns, etc are going to do you a lot of good up against a bomber.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,599
    Like I said in the other thread that old man may have made it worse. The guy threw tear gas in a packed, dark theater and was wearing a bulletproof vest. You want an old man trying to shoot him?

It may be easier just to do our best to keep firearms from crazies.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    MotoDC wrote:
    MotoDC wrote:

OK maybe I needed a "LOL" after the second part of my sentence, but it didn't feel like that kind of thread. Obviously you're not literally "cool with criminals having guns", but read your post. It could be taken that way. So seriously then, other than that you dislike (is that a better word for you?) guns, what was your point?

My point being that it's tiresome to keep hearing that criminals will get guns anyhow when it is generally not your typical criminal committing these types of killings.

And I'm not for criminal having guns, I just realize it will be difficult to take guns or access away from them all. But the one thing I'm sure of, less guns would mean less deaths.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,599
    We don't have to outlaw guns. We have to make them harder to get. It's not an all or none situation. NRA folks never seem to understand this.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
This discussion has been closed.