Options

Whats going wrong with the world? More shootings

Comments

• Options
    Pandora,

I re-read my posts... and I have not found anything in them that looks like a personal attack on you as a person (other than a reference to one of your posts where you make a veiled attempt at dignifying yourself as 'slightly more enlightened' than those of us who do not share the same level of compassion for the offender).

I referred to your timing, your position, and made a small tongue-in-cheek comment about your formatting (you made a similar comment earlier with your 'big letters' comment to Jose... so I had assumed comments such as these would be fair for all. No?).

Excuse- Cause... It's the same thing. Don't get stuck on semantics. A pre-meditated murder on a large scale would obviously suggest that there's something wrong with this guy... but who cares what underlying cause it might be- this act is flat out inexcusable. Not worthy of pity.

"So far off target?" No. No, I think I'm bang on here, but I won't pat myself on the back. It's pretty easy to be on target with this sad case. Regardless, as I said in my previous post... you're welcome to feel any way you want- it's your right; however, if you make an opinon public on this forum and others like it... you should be prepared to be challenged on some of the things you say.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Seriously when are you anti-gun goofs gonna get it? CHICAGO has the STRICTEST gun laws in the country and there are more deaths by shooting there than our troops in Afghanistan lately.

Gun control simply does not work. "Gun-free" zones only create an opportunity for a murderer to apply his problems to others unhindered.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Not only weapons but automatic assault weapons. It's insane that these things are available. He never could have killed that many people without that. Make all guns available to the public bolt action. Save the assault weapons for the army.

Try using some facts in your argument. It was not an "automatic assault rifle", they are not readily available. I'm not even going to touch the ignorant save them for the army comment.
  • Options
    i don't know what is more disturbing, that you are seem to be promoting ending due process for criminals or that your suggestion does absolutely nothing to address the actual problem, which is access to military grade weapons and 100 round magazines, etc...

fuck it....i as a private citizen, want a rpg launcher and a drone. not because i necessarily need it for anything, but only because the 2nd amendment says i can have it...

:fp: :fp:

and the kicker is that the brady bill, which expired under bush II, had this rifle illegal to own and purchase up until 2004...

You might need a rpg soon with all of the drones Obama is allowing to fly over this country.

Actually it was not illegal to own one. Many people owned pre-ban rifles, I was one of them. You just could not purchase a NEW one from a dealer. However I bought a previously owned one from a dealer DURING the ban. FACTS, use them instead of emotions.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    unsung wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Not only weapons but automatic assault weapons. It's insane that these things are available. He never could have killed that many people without that. Make all guns available to the public bolt action. Save the assault weapons for the army.

Try using some facts in your argument. It was not an "automatic assault rifle", they are not readily available. I'm not even going to touch the ignorant save them for the army comment.

Sorry, semiautomatic assault rifle with a 100 round drum that could fire over 50 times per minute. Glorified water cannon, right? Explain to me how it isn't readily available?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    unsung wrote:
    i don't know what is more disturbing, that you are seem to be promoting ending due process for criminals or that your suggestion does absolutely nothing to address the actual problem, which is access to military grade weapons and 100 round magazines, etc...

fuck it....i as a private citizen, want a rpg launcher and a drone. not because i necessarily need it for anything, but only because the 2nd amendment says i can have it...

and the kicker is that the brady bill, which expired under bush II, had this rifle illegal to own and purchase up until 2004...

You might need a rpg soon with all of the drones Obama is allowing to fly over this country.

Actually it was not illegal to own one. Many people owned pre-ban rifles, I was one of them. You just could not purchase a NEW one from a dealer. However I bought a previously owned one from a dealer DURING the ban. FACTS, use them instead of emotions.
    why does anyone need a 100 round drum??
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

Sorry, semiautomatic assault rifle with a 100 round drum that could fire over 50 times per minute. Glorified water cannon, right? Explain to me how it isn't readily available?

I already did.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    Seriously when are you anti-gun goofs gonna get it? CHICAGO has the STRICTEST gun laws in the country and there are more deaths by shooting there than our troops in Afghanistan lately.

Gun control simply does not work. "Gun-free" zones only create an opportunity for a murderer to apply his problems to others unhindered.

Maybe because the strictest gun laws in this country are laughable. Do you really think nobody else in that theater had a gun? Pretty naive.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    unsung wrote:

Do you know how many of those are out there? One person, used one, and it JAMMED. They aren't the best loading magazines. I'd easily prefer multiple 30rd mags if I had to defend something of importance.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    unsung wrote:

Maybe because the strictest gun laws in this country are laughable. Do you really think nobody else in that theater had a gun? Pretty naive.

I wasn't there. But that theatre was a declared "gun-free" zone by the corporation that owns it. So more than likely even though Colorado has concealed carry, nobody was doing it because they were obeying the gun control rules set in place.
  • Options
    how about we make it harder for these shooters to fire so rapidly. can we not restrict the large magazines?

if those were more difficult to get, the shooter would have to reload more often. forcing him to reload stops the rapid fire and makes the shooter vulnerable to be taken down and restrained for those several seconds.

i am just thinking out loud here.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    unsung wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:
    unsung wrote:

I wasn't there. But that theatre was a declared "gun-free" zone by the corporation that owns it. So more than likely even though Colorado has concealed carry, nobody was doing it because they were obeying the gun control rules set in place.

Right... :roll:
  • Options
    unsung wrote:

Target practice??? :roll:
  • Options
    how about we make it harder for these shooters to fire so rapidly. can we not restrict the large magazines?

if those were more difficult to get, the shooter would have to reload more often. forcing him to reload stops the rapid fire and makes the shooter vulnerable to be taken down and restrained for those several seconds.

I understand what you are saying, but this guy was an amateur. I can fire my rifle and reload a new mag in less than 2 seconds, and I am in no way a professional. I target practice with friends, nothing more. \

Don't get hung up on the 100 rd mags, they are not the issue. I have one, but I have never even opened it because they really are not practical. They are pretty known for jamming and aren't the easiest things to lug around when they are fully loaded.
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:

Roll your eyes because you can't argue against facts, I'm good with that. If someone were willing to reveal that they had carried in don't you think they would have tried to stop this person?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    pandora wrote:
    Thank you very much I will compose my posts as I see fit :lol:
    you are free of course to not read them if you find them that troubling.

A poem can always do a heart well I might add.

So you conclude I am not outraged at the loss of life...
    that I am not sad and angry... how do you come to this conclusion?

is this because I can also show empathy for the person committing the crime?

It is unusual for me to do so but it is so very obvious he himself is a victim also.

I think your presumptions of me and what I think of child molesters,
    DUI's or criminals preying on other human beings for their own gain,
    are very telling of you.
    Is seems you are assuming much of me with knowing little, wouldn't you say?
    Not really good debate form... assuming of others.

You would be so very wrong in all cases / examples you have given.

Good for you that you can show empathy, you appear to have a very big heart. My question to you Pandora would be....would you show the same empathy if your grandchild or son or husband was in that theatre and was killed by this shooter?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited July 2012
    unsung wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

Roll your eyes because you can't argue against facts, I'm good with that. If someone were willing to reveal that they had carried in don't you think they would have tried to stop this person?

None of the carriers at the Giffords shooting did anything. Everybody is tough until the shit goes down and you are faced with putting your life on the line or getting the fuck out of there.

I'd be shocked if nobody had a gun.
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
  • Options
    unsung wrote:

I understand what you are saying, but this guy was an amateur. I can fire my rifle and reload a new mag in less than 2 seconds, and I am in no way a professional. I target practice with friends, nothing more. \

Don't get hung up on the 100 rd mags, they are not the issue. I have one, but I have never even opened it because they really are not practical. They are pretty known for jamming and aren't the easiest things to lug around when they are fully loaded.
    i have a friend that has one for his AR 15. his 100 rd mag is loaded and it is heavy and cumbersome. the only reason he has it is "because i'm allowed to".... he target shoots with his brother and they go to this farm and just shoot and mainly use 30 round mags i think. they shoot the 100 sometimes, but he says it is too expensive to use that one very often. he has a small arsenal. he has a tech 9 and a version of an AK as well, in addition to 3 or 4 revolvers and a glock.

when someone has to rapidly reload doesn't that increase the chances of the gun jamming? and wouldn't that make the shooter have to take some sort of cover for those few seconds?

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    chadwick wrote:
    i can't wait to hear what ted nugent has to say.

I get the feeling ol' Ted would have NO PROBLEM with how the shooter obtained his ammo and various other SWAT team gear. He's probably smiling the goof.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    None of the carriers at the Giffords shooting did anything. Everybody is tough until the shit goes down and you are faced with putting your life on the line or getting the fuck out of there.

I'd be shocked if nobody had a gun. When was the last time one of these shootings was stopped by someone with a carry permit?
    i would think that unless someone is trained under fire like in the military or police academy it might be difficult to man up and skin your gun and kill someone if you had to.

i am thinking that it is kind of like cpr. millions of people are trained, but when the shit goes down people are scared to actually use what they have learned. it is something that you would use so infrequently that you might doubt your own abilities. i am sure that that comes into effect because we are human beings and not fearless robots.

i know the time that i performed cpr i was at the airport several years ago in baltimore and this guy had a heart attack. all of these people were standing around and i was the only one to respond. i have to admit that i froze for a few seconds... once the "holy shit this guy is unconscious and not breathing!!!" shock wore off i started and got through 2 cycles before the emts and police got there with the AED and they relieved me. it was a scary situation and i froze for a few seconds....i think part of it was me in my mind saying "is this real???".

i am sure that if someone with a gun were in that theater that same hesitation would had to have been overcome...

• Options
    blueandwhiteblueandwhite Posts: 662
    unsung wrote:

Then why do other nations with stricter gun laws fare so much better than the US when it comes to gun-related homicide? I hear Chicago thrown around as the exception that proves the rule, but when push comes to shove there is nothing that makes it more difficult to acquire a firearm in Chicago than in Austin or Colorado. Statistically you guys are more violent than any other first world nation by a significant margin.

Other nations may have higher rates of gun ownership amongst their citizens (Norway and Switzerland come to mind), but these nations also respect that a gun owner needs to be responsible and accountable. In the US, guns seem to be treated as a god-given right; a toy which every citizen is entitled to. America's indifference to gun violence and irresponsible gun ownership scares the hell out of me. I am genuinely unnerved whenever I visit the US because of the indifference Americans feel towards gun violence.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:

Then why do other nations with stricter gun laws fare so much better than the US when it comes to gun-related homicide? I hear Chicago thrown around as the exception that proves the rule, but when push comes to shove there is nothing that makes it more difficult to acquire a firearm in Chicago than in Austin or Colorado. Statistically you guys are more violent than any other first world nation by a significant margin.

Other nations may have higher rates of gun ownership amongst their citizens (Norway and Switzerland come to mind), but these nations also respect that a gun owner needs to be responsible and accountable. In the US, guns seem to be treated as a god-given right; a toy which every citizen is entitled to. America's indifference to gun violence and irresponsible gun ownership scares the hell out of me. I am genuinely unnerved whenever I visit the US because of the indifference Americans feel towards gun violence.

Nailed it.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:

Hilarious.

Your country has pockets with strict gun laws. That's effective. Outside of these pockets... access to assault weapons and ammunition- even over the internet. Brilliant. If your country is not 'all in' then it's out.

I would suggest to you that it would be a hell of a lot more difficult smuggling illegal weaponry over the Mexico border than state lines. Would you agree with that?
  • Options
    I hear Chicago thrown around as the exception that proves the rule, but when push comes to shove there is nothing that makes it more difficult to acquire a firearm in Chicago than in Austin or Colorado.

Another untrue statement. In order to obtain a permit to own a handgun in Chicago you have to jump through many hoops with one being actual range time. The city has effectively banned ranges in its limits with exceedingly high taxes and regulations. People who wish to defend themselves spend more money on the permit and steps required than the actual firearm.

That is unless you are a gangbanger, as only the law abiding people have to fight for their RIGHTS.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    I hear Chicago thrown around as the exception that proves the rule, but when push comes to shove there is nothing that makes it more difficult to acquire a firearm in Chicago than in Austin or Colorado.

Another untrue statement. In order to obtain a permit to own a handgun in Chicago you have to jump through many hoops with one being actual range time. The city has effectively banned ranges in its limits with exceedingly high taxes and regulations. People who wish to defend themselves spend more money on the permit and steps required than the actual firearm.

That is unless you are a gangbanger, as only the law abiding people have to fight for their RIGHTS.

It's a city though. You can drive out of the city and buy whatever you want. Or online.
  • Options
    I understand the theory behind giving citizens the right to bear arms and the theory that it is every citizen's duty to posses a gun: if citizens were not armed, a tyrannical government could conduct their business unchallenged and, as a result, oppression.

I think we've grown past that though. Speaking as an outsider (Canadian), if I was a US citizen, I'd take a leap of faith for the powers that be and look to actively solve the weapon problem via heavy and dramatic restrictions.

In the long term, the entire planet has a problem (as this thread asked). We simply have to do a better job raising our young.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Its easy for me to understand that there are things out there,making people happy,
    music,love,some hobby,sports,friends,etc..

and its more easy to understand whitout being an Einstein thats fuckin guns can provoke only
    pain,sadness,tears,death ,blood..

there is no one out there can Convince Me that guns can do good..cos they cant.....
    no matter the nation,laws and all this bullshit..
    Guns can do only bad,....wake up before the next bullet write your name on it...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    when someone has to rapidly reload doesn't that increase the chances of the gun jamming? and wouldn't that make the shooter have to take some sort of cover for those few seconds?

Not necessarily in my experience. Not that I've ever been in that situation but in practice I've found more of reload failures due to poorer quality equipment. That's why I refuse to use aftermarket brands for magazines, I only use factory. AR's are a little different since there are so many manufacturers but essentially the platform remains the same. The 100 rd mag, and some certain name brands are not known to be "go-to" equipment.

My step-father was a police officer so he explained many what-ifs, I think you mentioned it in another way that it is gross muscle memory, not fine movements that are turned into instinct. Repetition.

In the situation that this jerkwad was in I'm guessing his mag jammed a round in and he didn't know how to extract the round from the chamber. In theory it would have been the time to attack him but that is easier said than done. Not too many people are willing to play hero. However I will restate my position and say that gun-free zones only allow a killer to work without opposition.
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    unsung wrote:

It's a city though. You can drive out of the city and buy whatever you want. Or online.

Online?

They still have to abide by the strict Chicago ordinances since they are residents. They can't just drive out of the city and buy a firearm, or at least they'd have to follow the laws of the city in order to posess it in the city at their home.

That's why another lawsuit was filed with the opinion that the city has made in overly burdensome to follow the rules.
  • Options
    I understand the theory behind giving citizens the right to bear arms and the theory that it is every citizen's duty to posses a gun: if citizens were not armed, a tyrannical government could conduct their business unchallenged and, as a result, oppression.

I think we've grown past that though. Speaking as an outsider (Canadian), if I was a US citizen, I'd take a leap of faith for the powers that be and look to actively solve the weapon problem via heavy and dramatic restrictions.

In the long term, the entire planet has a problem (as this thread asked). We simply have to do a better job raising our young.

I HIGHLY disagree with growing past that. We might be in the HIGHEST need in a long time for private ownership. Way too many laws have been passed recently that are showing that a tyrannical government is growing out of control.
This discussion has been closed.