World Cup 2014 - Brazil!

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Ha! Cool that you have it signed! That one did come to mind. It was a strange denim look. But this one is the one I usually think of:
    Yikes

Polka dots???
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    jeffbr said:

Ha! Cool that you have it signed! That one did come to mind. It was a strange denim look. But this one is the one I usually think of:
    Yikes

Polka dots???

HA, good god.

Didn't catch the loss. Saw the picture on ESPN.com though. The blue numbers look sooooo light.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    Kinda disappointing to end up with a tie last night after that first half. And how good is Michael Bradley??? It's amazing how much better this team is when he's on the field...
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Bradley is amazing. BS call on the offside goal. You lost Mexico, we know you lost, you know you lost. First half was the best half I have ever seen an American team play. Second half, not so much. Props to Mexico for coming back strong though. Rival lives on!
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    Feel asleep at halftime. Didn't have the full game in me. Disappointing result but the first half was awesome, and yeah, Bradley.

A lot of talk today about how Beckerman opened things up for Bradley. Will be interesting to see where they go from here. I am not the biggest Jermaine Jones fan.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Go Australia ;) haha
    Donovan left off the WC squad. Very surprising. Klinsmann seems to have it out for Donovan. Donovan obviously isn't what he was, but he'd be a pretty damn good option coming off the bench for a 20 minute burst late in the game. This one just doesn't add up.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762

Donovan left off the WC squad. Very surprising. Klinsmann seems to have it out for Donovan. Donovan obviously isn't what he was, but he'd be a pretty damn good option coming off the bench for a 20 minute burst late in the game. This one just doesn't add up.

I don't know much about soccer:

Will U.S.A. win a game? Will they score more then 2 goals?

Not far away now...Australia's First Game is on the 14th June...they also have quite a Difficult Group with Spain and Netherlands there.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773

:-q
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

Yeah, there must be something else going on. With Donovan's experience and leadership you'd think that would count for something. I know he's lost a step, isn't scoring for his club, seemed pretty unmotivated for most of the past couple of years, took a sabatical, etc... But his experience should have been worth something, especially as a late sub. My theory is that JK is using this WC for training and experience for the younger guys like Yedlin and Green, since it is pretty unlikely we'll advance out of the group. He's getting us set up for 2018 as far as I can tell. There was some decent talent in the 7 who were cut yesterday in favor of some pretty inexperienced guys who weren't. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
    Australia has Both the Finalist from last World Cup in there Group /:)
    jeffbr said:

Yeah, there must be something else going on. With Donovan's experience and leadership you'd think that would count for something. I know he's lost a step, isn't scoring for his club, seemed pretty unmotivated for most of the past couple of years, took a sabatical, etc... But his experience should have been worth something, especially as a late sub. My theory is that JK is using this WC for training and experience for the younger guys like Yedlin and Green, since it is pretty unlikely we'll advance out of the group. He's getting us set up for 2018 as far as I can tell. There was some decent talent in the 7 who were cut yesterday in favor of some pretty inexperienced guys who weren't. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Yeah, seemed like it was always a personality clash between Donovan and Klinsmann. I really thought Donovan had redeemed himself after what he did in the Gold Cup last year after his sabbatical. It's a shame his WC career will end like this.

I really can't see Jurgen throwing this WC just to get some experience for 2018....the guy is way too competitive to do something like that. But definitely some questionable choices and guys with not much experience. Still can't wrap my head around Julian Green being part of this team.....he definitely has a bright future, but he has really only played in the 3rd level German league. But it's obvious Jurgen wants to go with speed and fitness with this team. I hope he turns out to be a genius and we somehow get out of the group...
    This seems to be all about the USA World Cup team :P lol
    i_lov_it said:

Well, I'm happy to talk about more than just the USMNT, but will admit that my main focus is on the US doing a respectable job.

To your previous post, Australia certainly has their work cut out for them. Spain and the Netherlands is a tough draw, ranked #1 and #15 right now respectively. I don't see Australia or Chile advancing out of that group. USA also has a tough draw with Germany and Portugal, ranked #2 and #3 in the world right now. It will be some sort of miracle to get out of our group. And for some reason Ghana always seems to have our number as well, even though I don't consider them anywhere near the quality of Germany and Portugal.

Who do you have winning the World Cup? I'm going with Germany over Spain in the final. I am pulling for my US team, and do every World Cup - until they're eliminated, at which point Germany gets my support.

edited May 2014
    jeffbr said:

i_lov_it said:

Well, I'm happy to talk about more than just the USMNT, but will admit that my main focus is on the US doing a respectable job.

To your previous post, Australia certainly has their work cut out for them. Spain and the Netherlands is a tough draw, ranked #1 and #15 right now respectively. I don't see Australia or Chile advancing out of that group. USA also has a tough draw with Germany and Portugal, ranked #2 and #3 in the world right now. It will be some sort of miracle to get out of our group. And for some reason Ghana always seems to have our number as well, even though I don't consider them anywhere near the quality of Germany and Portugal.

Who do you have winning the World Cup? I'm going with Germany over Spain in the final. I am pulling for my US team, and do every World Cup - until they're eliminated, at which point Germany gets my support.

Well of course I would like if Australia Won...But Realistically speaking I have like you said Germany or Spain Winning :)

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    I don´t know much about all this stuff BUT it looks like you don´t have to worry about Germany. Nobody here believes

that they will / could make it this time. On the other side ... they are always good for a surprise.

Btw I just heard that USA - Germany will play at 22:00 the day when PJ plays here in Berlin (Thu 26.June ) is that right?

So I can only hope PJ gives a shit bc it finally will be my first show.

What do you think - will they play for 3 hours or will they go to see the game?

:-SS
    Not a very inspiring effort by the US last night. So weird to see this team playing without Donovan.
    kce8 said:

I don´t know much about all this stuff BUT it looks like you don´t have to worry about Germany. Nobody here believes

that they will / could make it this time. On the other side ... they are always good for a surprise.

Btw I just heard that USA - Germany will play at 22:00 the day when PJ plays here in Berlin (Thu 26.June ) is that right?

So I can only hope PJ gives a shit bc it finally will be my first show.

What do you think - will they play for 3 hours or will they go to see the game?

:-SS

I think Die Mannschaft is going to do just fine this tournament. They qualified strongly (except for that 4:4 draw against Sweden. The Bundesliga is strong, so lots of homegrown talent on the team. They certainly have to be considered one of the favorites, and I definitely have picked them to win (although as stated above, I will be supporting my US team until they're eliminiated).

As far as PJ goes, they may reference the game during the show, but other than their '98 soccer jerseys, I've seen little evidence that they care too much about soccer. Baseball and basketball sure, but soccer not so much. So I think you'll get their full attention!

Not a very inspiring effort by the US last night. So weird to see this team playing without Donovan.

Not inspiring at all. No Dempsey, no Donovan, no E. Johnson. Wondo had some good looks but couldn't finish. Our attack wasn't very threatening. And our defense was fairly untested which isn't suprising against a team ranked 85th or wherever they're ranked, so we still have no idea if they're up to the task ahead. It will be interesting to see what lineup changes are made before the next friendly.
    jeffbr said:

Not inspiring at all. No Dempsey, no Donovan, no E. Johnson. Wondo had some good looks but couldn't finish. Our attack wasn't very threatening. And our defense was fairly untested which isn't suprising against a team ranked 85th or wherever they're ranked, so we still have no idea if they're up to the task ahead. It will be interesting to see what lineup changes are made before the next friendly.

Yep, this defense wasn't tested at all last night....they should have more of a challenge with Turkey and Nigeria. With the lack of experience on the back line, they need to be tested big time before group play.

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Ill watch 1st day
    .then tour starts so ill be on the road..when i return ill watch the semifinals amd final
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    2 days
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Can't wait for this to get started up on Thursday.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    will cut out of work early Thursday and hit up a bar in NYC for the Croatia/Brazil game

Hopefully the Croats make it out of group play..its been a while

Remember being in Croatia in '98 when we almost won the whole thing (came in 3rd)...what a scene over there...some of the best times of my life

I like this group
    So yeah, the next month should be fun.

Fucking US Open week along with the World Cup. And the wife is headed to the beach. Oh, fuck yes.
    Can't wait for this thing to start! I'll be cheering on Croatia in the 1st game, and of course looking for respectable play from the USMNT - we need to beat Ghana this weekend like we did Nigeria last weekend. I'd like to see a miracle and have us advance out of the group. I'm also picking Germany to win (although with Marco Reus out it becomes more difficult). Let the games begin!
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Anybody gonna be in Amsterdam want to get together to watch the holland/Spain game?

Fucking US Open week along with the World Cup. And the wife is headed to the beach. Oh, fuck yes.

A lot of action this weekend...works out perfectly with the US not playing until Monday so dont have to miss a huge chunk of the US open.

A lot of action this weekend...works out perfectly with the US not playing until Monday so dont have to miss a huge chunk of the US open.
    Yessir. Just over 24 hours till the world cup starts.