Options

Canadian Politics

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

That John Oliver piece was good,and funny. Too bad there are a million idiots out there who will forget it's a joke and Oliver is a comedian :fearful:

He makes it funny, but he often makes VERY good points that probably shouldn't be blown off the wafy you just did (that said, I have never seen that Justin falling down the stairs trick, and that made me really laugh! :lol: ). He is actually pretty informative. I actually have never heard of Section 331 of the Canada elections act, have you? What a dumb fucking law, lol.
    Dumb law alright. Passed by Chretien's Liberals :lol:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894

dignin said:

That John Oliver piece was good,and funny. Too bad there are a million idiots out there who will forget it's a joke and Oliver is a comedian :fearful:

If you've been watching John Oliver and you think his show is a joke....you haven't been paying attention.
    You don't think he is a comedian and the show is a joke? Of course there are some interesting things he brings up, but even he has said in interviews that it's a comedy show, not the news.
    What's amazing to me is you would take anything a bunch of comedy writers throw on television and NOT think its a joke :lol:
    One in a million dignin.
    it's real issues with a comedic sting to it. no different than John Stewart.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,679

dignin said:

If you've been watching John Oliver and you think his show is a joke....you haven't been paying attention.
    You don't think he is a comedian and the show is a joke? Of course there are some interesting things he brings up, but even he has said in interviews that it's a comedy show, not the news.
    What's amazing to me is you would take anything a bunch of comedy writers throw on television and NOT think its a joke :lol:
    One in a million dignin.
    Surely you don't think they're that stupid. Of course it's FUNNY. But that doesn't mean that the actual content behind the laughs is a joke, i.e. not insightful and/or factual.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    So who has voted?
    Advance polls or today?
    I did today.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/national-post-editor-quits-over-election-endorsement-dispute-173808666.html

pretty sad that Sun media doesn't even remotely try to offer any objectivity ... interesting that he is voting NDP ...
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,458

So who has voted?
    Advance polls or today?
    I did today.

Voted today, even though I was on the brink of not bothering, since I "Don't feel like Satan, but I am to them," lol. I'm going to be looking into possibly founding the Protest Party of Canada, in the hopes of putting an end to this "anyone but" nonsense. I firmly believe it is our duty to vote FOR a candidate or party, not AGAINST someone else's beliefs, and I feel like my vote has been spit on by this current movement (can you guess which way I voted, lol?).

The PPC will have no platform, and will exist only because spoiled ballots (a legitimate form of protest, in my opinion) aren't counted, and the Rhino Party no longer exists, I believe. If actually elected to a legislature, members will sit in their seats with headphones on, and take visual cues as to when to stand or sit, lol. Perhaps in the matter of voting in the legislature, local plebicites can be taken in advance, so the riding can still be properly represented. It's all just a rough sketch in my head at this point, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    polaris_x said:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/national-post-editor-quits-over-election-endorsement-dispute-173808666.html

pretty sad that Sun media doesn't even remotely try to offer any objectivity ... interesting that he is voting NDP ...

papers endorsing politicians. I don't recall them ever doing that in such an outward manner. usually it was just politician-bashing editorials, but not cut and dry endorsements.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me coming from Sun Media.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

So who has voted?
    Advance polls or today?
    I did today.

Going to go on the way home from work.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

dignin said:

One in a million dignin.

Considering John Oliver was on the Daily Show, that isn't too surprising. Listen, if that's how you get your news,have atter. :grimacing:
  • Options

So who has voted?
    Advance polls or today?
    I did today.

Done! Voted for the Marxist-Leninist candidate in Calgary Confederation :rofl:
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,001
    Do you guys have exit polling? Whats the word so far?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2015
    ^^^^

The results are slowly trickling in from the Maritimes. Liberals are doing unsurprisingly well in the Maritimes.
    No exit polling.
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options

^^^^

The results are slowly trickling in from the Maritimes. Liberals are doing unsurprisingly well in the Maritimes.
    No exit polling.

So to understand your system of reporting, results unknown or ongoing tallies unknown until the polls close in each province close? Moving westward?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ^^^^
    Used to be that way until this election.
    Blackout was lifted.
    Now everyone knows results as they come in countrywide.
    West coast is now watching east coast results.
    West coast polls are still open for another 3hrs.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Liberals are crushing it on the east coast.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

^^^^

No exit polling.

So to understand your system of reporting, results unknown or ongoing tallies unknown until the polls close in each province close? Moving westward?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/election-night-results-blackout-a-thing-of-the-past-1.3259787
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

^^^^

No exit polling.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/election-night-results-blackout-a-thing-of-the-past-1.3259787
    Ahh, so you guys are now more in line with the hilarity that we enjoy. Asshats in the media getting things wrong in projections.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2015
    ^^^^^^

Asshats in the media. Truer words have never been posted.
  • Options
    24 of 338 seats declared... 24 Liberal seats.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

24 of 338 seats declared... 24 Liberal seats.

It's looking terrible for the NDP.
  • Options
    The orange wave was a joke and never meant to be sustained.
    This is not surprising.
  • Options
    33 seats.

A clean sweep in the Atlantic.

This is what's commonly referred to as 'getting thundered'.

A lot of country remaining though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I can see why the ndp is no longer allowed in the east.
    It is a province that has had enough of the ndp not just harper.
    Nothing has changed in the east forever.
  • Options

dignin said:

One in a million dignin.

Considering John Oliver was on the Daily Show, that isn't too surprising. Listen, if that's how you get your news,have atter. :grimacing:
    That is not how we get our news. That show is an interpretation and analysis of the news, expressed in a funny way.
  • Options
    Liberals with 62% of the popular vote in Atlantic Canada. 17% for both the NDP and the Conservatives. Crazy!
  • Options

33 seats.

A clean sweep in the Atlantic.

This is what's commonly referred to as 'getting thundered'.

A lot of country remaining though.

One riding looks to be dead even (2 votes between cons and libs right now). So the cons still might get that seat. And they'll have to do a recount for that one.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

^^^^

No exit polling.

Ahh, so you guys are now more in line with the hilarity that we enjoy. Asshats in the media getting things wrong in projections.

Yeah.... While I really enjoy it entertainment-wise, I do remember when this did not happen, and for fairness's sake, I don't think it should be allowed.
    ... And now to settle in for a riveting night of election coverage! :)
  • Options
    This is as exciting as following a setlist thread.
    Good stuff folks.
    ABC backfiring on the NDP so far.
    A lot of voters don't even know the candidate they are voting for other than it is someone that is not.
    Got to be careful what you wish for.
    East coast will be even less represented now.
  • Options

This is as exciting as following a setlist thread.
    Good stuff folks.
    ABC backfiring on the NDP so far.
    A lot of voters don't even know the candidate they are voting for other than it is someone that is not.
    Got to be careful what you wish for.
    East coast will be even less represented now.

Yeah, it's really entertaining!
    I admit I am one of those people who really just voted not-Harper. I even had to stand there behind the cardboard screen for some minutes trying to finally decide whihc not-Harper to vote for (whihc surprised me - I thought I was decided when I got there, but once it was in black and white in front of me I was suddenly undecided again... wouod have stood there longer but the line was growing and people were staring at me).
    Yes, the NDP are crashing hard maybe, and i am sad to see that. I would like to see them with a decent representation, namely so they can act as a kind of environmental watchdog (i say that in relative terms).
  • Options
    So any guesses on Ontario here? Us lefties are getting excited already, lol, but we've only just begun here. Anyone think there will be a massive turn around once the big population ridings start coming in? :popcorn:
    I am scared. :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.