Options

Children of the 70s and 80s

Comments

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    marcos wrote:
    I'm not OCD, but how disgusting was it, in a way, that we used public pay phones? Phone booths were kinda cool but when you think about it, pretty dirty.

It's no worse than money.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    conman wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    never left the house without my ghostbusting gear! i think i even wore it to church one sunday.

tumblr_l93v5lfyxF1qb3mmfo1_400.jpg
    YES!!!! i had that too

Oh man. I have a photo of me from Halloween of '88 rockin that. I used to wear it before and after halloween too. I was 6 then and life was good.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,666
    I had one of these, an 1971 Audi 100 ls, in high school. A hand-me-down from my grandma, to my older brother, to me. Quirky, yet awesome.

5842885506_1c44696908.jpg
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Anybody remember these?

tumblr_lz7kknvmun1rprvuoo1_500.jpg
    I loved those books. I always made sure I read every adventure combination possible, even checked off my choices so I could keep track. i found one and gave it to my daughter to read, she read one adventure choice and declared the book done :?
    She just didn`t get it.
  • Options
    bionicamy wrote:
    Horos wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    ack...the 'snowball' was when they would yell over the speakers "IIIiiiiiiittttt's SNOWBALL TIME! Boys line up on one side and girls line up on the other" Then they would turn on the disco ball and the blue lights and play slow music...Journey or something probably. Then the boys would skate over to the girls and pick out a girl to skate with, for one song, then the DJ would say 'switch partners!' and give the guys a few minutes to pick out another girl, and then play another song. They'd do this for 3 songs. Keep in mind these were all elementary aged kids. How embarrassing!
    When we went to the skate rink they always played carnival music on those colored vinyls. Once and a while they would take our 45s and play them. Queen - We Will Rock You got shut down when everyone started stomping their skates.

I remember line and partner skates but nothing like you mention... unless i have blocked such things out :lol:

We could only request songs to be played....but look out when they did!
    Ahh I want to go skating now but I think there are only rollerblades in my garage.... dont think it would end well anyway :oops:

Have you been roller skating lately? I took my niece and nephew, and it was like a time warp. Snack bar, disco lights, 80's decor, video games, and skee ball. Still doing 'shoot the duck' The music was the same, too. I don't think I had heard PYT in 25 years! Plus, it's like riding a bike; just get up and go.
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    CBC291417 wrote:
    Hehe funny to see those necklace/mini charm things...found a bunch in a box my dad brought over a while back of crap my stepmom was cleaning out of my room. Had about three of those and hung them on my wall.

Not sure if this was mentioned but ladies who else took turns with their friends checking out "Are you there God, it's me Margaret" from the school library??? I was so freaking out about this belt contraption I would have to wear when aunt flo showed up :oops: :lol:
    I forgot that was in that book. I just went through a bunch of old books and pulled some out for my 10 yr old to read. I think I grabbed Iggy`s house, but left that one in the box. I loved Judy Blume. My mom also enjoyed her books, but I never let her read Tiger Eyes...
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    P4DA1l.jpg

These I loved.

j07zHs.jpg

kac6el.jpg

Anyone have either of these
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    All these pictures of cars. Here's something like the first new car my dad bought. Color is correct.
    11257_main_f.jpg
    And my parents had that natural reaction to raise their arm when braking because we were always standing up on the front seat.
    #FHP
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    bionicamy wrote:
    P4DA1l.jpg

These I loved.

j07zHs.jpg

kac6el.jpg

Anyone have either of these

:shock: :shock: I totally forgot about the "fashion plates" :lol:

I loved "colorforms" too...

300px-Tms_colorforms_set.jpg
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    bionicamy wrote:

Ahh I want to go skating now but I think there are only rollerblades in my garage.... dont think it would end well anyway :oops:

Have you been roller skating lately? I took my niece and nephew, and it was like a time warp. Snack bar, disco lights, 80's decor, video games, and skee ball. Still doing 'shoot the duck' The music was the same, too. I don't think I had heard PYT in 25 years! Plus, it's like riding a bike; just get up and go.

I would defiantly need old school skates.... but everything thing you describe makes me want to go even more especially the skee ball :D There is a rink not too far from me. I'm feeling like I might just have to go.
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
  • Options
    kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    My first hand held device...

Coleco-ElectronicQuarterback.jpg
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    afroannnie wrote:

or these:

converse-high-top-pink.jpg

Oh man, that takes me back. I had a pair of these chucks:

tricolor31.jpg

That my wife affectionately refers to as my "Clown Shoes". Plus about 10 other colors of all-stars.

It's all come full circle though, for christmas this year she bought me a pair of these...

vans-sk8-hi-pearl-jam-0.jpg
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Speaking of shoes:

1204056060_9300.jpg
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    edited March 2012
    I know I'm not much of an 80's kid (born in '86) but I absolutely miss snail mail!!
    It's exciting to go to your mailbox and see a random letter.
    Now all I see are bills and junk mail :evil:

Agreed!

(1986 was the best year!)
    Post edited by Princess Bulldozer on
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,767
    gamedominorally.jpg
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Sugar-MagnoliaSugar-Magnolia Loveland, CO Posts: 233
    BEST THREAD EVER :lol:
    Seriously, it warms my heart to remember all this stuff :-) oh, and my husband says I must mention Thunder Cats.
    *Denver 04-01-2003*ACL 10-04-2009*Colombus 05-06-2010*Noblesville 05-07-2010*Bridge School 10-23 & 10-24-2010*PJ20 09-03 & 09-04-2011*Deluna Fest 09-21-2012*Wrigley Field 07-19-2013*Ok City 11-16-2013*Moline (Rail, Hometown!)10-17-2014*St Paul 10-19-2014*Milwaukee 10-20-2014*Denver 10-22-2014*
    *Ed Solo: Detroit 06-26-2011, Chicago 06-29-2011*
  • Options
    TA8SIs.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/ ... -69037531/

Not surprised but still kinda sad to see that Encyclopedia Britannia will no longer print editions. 244years :o
    Either you had a set of these bad boys or off to the library you went.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    BEST THREAD EVER :lol:
    Seriously, it warms my heart to remember all this stuff :-) oh, and my husband says I must mention Thunder Cats.

thunder cats .... HOOOOOOO

yes!!

while we're at it...

By the power of Greyskull, I have the power

He-Man
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Speaking of shoes:

1204056060_9300.jpg
    I had those, but the larry bird model
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    Never once did I go to school.....
    And worry about one of my classmates bringing a gun into the classroom....
    And blowing my fucking brains out.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    g under p wrote:
    Ok Ok my very first car was a light blue 1974 Pinto you know the one where if it was hit in the rear it would blow up so they say. I bought it for $400 cash, the drivers seat eventually broke and i held it up with a milk crate. I got 3 of my best years out of Betsy while in college...she eventually died by the highway in Hampton VA i said goodbye and abandoned her. :(

I was king with car...you had a car in school you were bad to the bone with the ladies.

23841730006_medium.jpg

Just like this one^^^^^but with a lot more dents. :D No 8 track, no cassettes just a radio.

Peace

good grief! my first car was the red 1972 pinto that my dad let me have after he wore it out. I put in an awesome stereo, did all the repair work myself - even had to go to the junk yard to get a new fender to put on after a small accident. we called it the Otnip (pinto backwards).
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Get_Right wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Speaking of shoes:

1204056060_9300.jpg
    I had those, but the larry bird model

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1986-Larry-Bird- ... ~60_12.JPG

Mine naturally was the LB and i started in the early 70's with the Chuck Taylor's canvas green then moved up to the Cons suede green later on.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    This was my favorite show as a kid... :)

the_dukes_of_hazzard_large-300x297.jpg
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    crossfire.jpg

easily had the most EPIC COMMERCIAL OF ALL TIME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    rival. wrote:
    crossfire.jpg

easily had the most EPIC COMMERCIAL OF ALL TIME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

I had this game the steel balls would fly all over the place...loved that game.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    rival. wrote:
    crossfire.jpg

the most EPIC COMMERCIAL OF ALL TIME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    2 of my faves... :D

6a00e55025360c883400e553bf985d8833-320wi

and

hungry-hungry-hippo.jpg
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    The Tale of Peter Rabbit :D

Book-Review-On-The-Tale-Of-Peter-Rabit.jpg
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    ...OUTTA MY WAY!!! please...

huffy.jpg