Options

Children of the 70s and 80s

Comments

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Cosmo wrote:
    We saw our music go from vinyl to 8-track to casssette to CD to MP3.
    We were there when Punk Rock was invented.
    We used to light up the arenas with our Bic lighters or matches because all of us had Bic lighters or books of matches in our pockets all of the time.
    We survived Disco (and STILL hate Disco to this day).
    Cops that pulled us over and thought we had too much alcohol in our system, made us sleep it off in our cars.
    We remember when elections came every 4 years... the shitty commercials only lasted about a month and after the election, we all became Americans again.
    We were in mosh pits in 1983.
    We remember when McDonald's used to sell actual hamburgers.
    We played on some pretty fucking dangerous playground equipment.
    We used to deliver newspapers from the handlebars of our Sting-Rays.
    Unfortunately... we are also the ones who are handing over a pretty fucked up future to you youngsters. Sorry.
    I remember "Disco Sucks" bumber stickers. :lol:
    Disco was the worst music inflicted on humans.

When I was 9, I watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. :shock:
    My family got our first color tv in 1968. Woo! 3 channels in color! :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    I miss my Mom's 8 Track player of whom she had Al Green and that guy ammm with the song *What's Goin On* help me somebody i'm drawing a blank :?: I only wished we had one in the car...she had that player till last i recall the late 70's.

8%2Btrack%2Btape%2Bplayer.jpg

Say that to a teen today and they'll say *what you talkin bout!*

Peace

Oh and back then iwasn't unusual to flash a PEACE sign you know with the two fingers. :D
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Have you seen what they did to this lately? They CHANGED THE ART! And instead of scary, it's all..cutesy now. :sick:
    They ruined a good thing!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickr16/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-they-changed-th-4mxg

NO NO NO!! This is awful news!! The new art is stupid! A huge part of why these stories were so scary/creepy is because of the art they had. I'm gonna try to find the originals on Amazon or something, it'd be cool to have those books again.

I've been on the hunt for quite a while! They don't sell new ones on amazon anymore..but I plan on digging through my parents old boxes and hopefully find them in there :D
    And you are correct! The pictures are what made them super creepy and memorable!
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    g under p wrote:
    I miss my Mom's 8 Track player of whom she had Al Green and that guy ammm with the song *What's Goin On* help me somebody i'm drawing a blank :?: I only wished we had one in the car...she had that player till last i recall the late 70's.

Marvin Gaye.
    http://youtu.be/Y9KC7uhMY9s
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    playing outside. Sports whether smear the queer, football, baseball, street hockey, soccer, wiffle ball, etc... All hours of light during the summer, and after school all other times. Even in the winter.

I dont see that now. Sometimes I see a smaller roller hockey game or something... but we used to have like 20 kids consistently.

We also used to walk to school. I dont think that happens as much now. I see kids get driven/picked up for anything >100 yards.

Bullying and the balanced hierarchy.

I couldnt imagine growing up and trying to maintain now with the internet/facebook, etc...
  • Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    This isn't exactly 70's/80's because it's originally from the fifties..BUT! I loved GUMBY!!
    gumby-1-1.jpg
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    playing outside. Sports whether smear the queer, football, baseball, street hockey, soccer, wiffle ball, etc... All hours of light during the summer, and after school all other times. Even in the winter.

I dont see that now. Sometimes I see a smaller roller hockey game or something... but we used to have like 20 kids consistently.

We also used to walk to school. I dont think that happens as much now. I see kids get driven/picked up for anything >100 yards.

Bullying and the balanced hierarchy.

I couldnt imagine growing up and trying to maintain now with the internet/facebook, etc...

Yes that is so true in elementary school and HS I walked to school. Today unfortunately my kids have to be driven to school reason being they all attend magnet medical academy schools outside of our school district some 13 mlies for two and the other by bus and still has to be picked by car.

I wished walked waking would do them some good. :D Facebook what's that :?:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Oh and back then iwasn't unusual to flash a PEACE sign you know with the two fingers. :D

I used to drive my dad's Mustang II hatchback (note, this was NOT the cool Mustang) that had an 8 track. Car looked just like this one:

1974_00021_04.jpg

That wasn't nearly as cool as my car though. The Pinto Wagon w/ Wood Paneling. Looked like this (but mine was a brownish/orange color, w/ wood paneling:

AE016a.jpg

And of course, seatbelts were optional, and you could ride in the bed of a pickup truck.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    We had the original...

kiss_logo.gif
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    MayDay10 wrote:
    did anyone ever get hit in the head with a Teddy Ruxpin? Holy fuck that was painful.

no, but I remember one kid bringing his for 'show and tell' and instead of the story tape, he had put n an Anthrax tape...it was really funny

anybody go roller skating on the street or at the rink? I hated the stupid 'snowball' skate time.

I had a bunch of these silly things too...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUPVTE1G0QQfzmDHY7JfTEtsdMrsZbv3mjUsaXyRdUgcenBPU1
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    RKCNDY wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    did anyone ever get hit in the head with a Teddy Ruxpin? Holy fuck that was painful.

no, but I remember one kid bringing his for 'show and tell' and instead of the story tape, he had put n an Anthrax tape...it was really funny

anybody go roller skating on the street or at the rink? I hated the stupid 'snowball' skate time.

My husband has a large scar on his head from being hit by a teddy bear. Not a Teddy Ruxpin but a wind up. :shock:

I would go roller skating every friday and Saturday nights at a rink but we didn't have anything called snowball skate.
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • Options
    CBC291417CBC291417 Posts: 22
    Hehe funny to see those necklace/mini charm things...found a bunch in a box my dad brought over a while back of crap my stepmom was cleaning out of my room. Had about three of those and hung them on my wall.

Not sure if this was mentioned but ladies who else took turns with their friends checking out "Are you there God, it's me Margaret" from the school library??? I was so freaking out about this belt contraption I would have to wear when aunt flo showed up :oops: :lol:
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Ahhh I remember these

CABBAGE+PATCH+KIDS.JPG
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    rival. wrote:
    never left the house without my ghostbusting gear! i think i even wore it to church one sunday.

tumblr_l93v5lfyxF1qb3mmfo1_400.jpg
    YES!!!! i had that too
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Ahhh I remember these

CABBAGE+PATCH+KIDS.JPG

Slightly embarrassed to say I still have mine. My grandmother kept them in a box all those years. Found them last summer.
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    bionicamy wrote:

I would go roller skating every friday and Saturday nights at a rink but we didn't have anything called snowball skate.

ack...the 'snowball' was when they would yell over the speakers "IIIiiiiiiittttt's SNOWBALL TIME! Boys line up on one side and girls line up on the other" Then they would turn on the disco ball and the blue lights and play slow music...Journey or something probably. Then the boys would skate over to the girls and pick out a girl to skate with, for one song, then the DJ would say 'switch partners!' and give the guys a few minutes to pick out another girl, and then play another song. They'd do this for 3 songs. Keep in mind these were all elementary aged kids. How embarrassing!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

I used to drive my dad's Mustang II hatchback (note, this was NOT the cool Mustang) that had an 8 track. Car looked just like this one:

1974_00021_04.jpg

That wasn't nearly as cool as my car though. The Pinto Wagon w/ Wood Paneling. Looked like this (but mine was a brownish/orange color, w/ wood paneling:

AE016a.jpg

And of course, seatbelts were optional, and you could ride in the bed of a pickup truck.

Ok Ok my very first car was a light blue 1974 Pinto you know the one where if it was hit in the rear it would blow up so they say. I bought it for $400 cash, the drivers seat eventually broke and i held it up with a milk crate. I got 3 of my best years out of Betsy while in college...she eventually died by the highway in Hampton VA i said goodbye and abandoned her. :(

I was king with car...you had a car in school you were bad to the bone with the ladies.

23841730006_medium.jpg

Just like this one^^^^^but with a lot more dents. :D No 8 track, no cassettes just a radio.

Peace

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    We opened our car windows when it became too hot inside and we sang instead of flipping through thousands of radio channels (there was not even a radio in the car). We squeezed a whole family of five people into tiny cars to go on summer vacation. And our Dads really didn't need to pay a fortune or be scientists to fix their cars.

Oh my god, I love all these car pictures! When I was a child, our car looked like this:
    cache_1254977102.jpg?t=1250422061

Rock'n'Roll, in the literal sense :lol:
  • Options
    Our future with music players in cars.....

http://www.aliberalslibretto.com/2012/0 ... layer.html
    CD players in cars look set to go the same way as the dodo bird, according to a report in industry trade publication Automotive News.

With content and computing power migrating to smartphones, which can now channel music, navigation and other applications to relatively simple and low-cost onboard infotainment systems, CD players are becoming increasingly irrelevant in cars, the report says.

Automakers also want to get rid of optical drives -- that is, CD or DVD players -- because they are expensive and appeal mainly to older motorists, according to the report.

Indeed, the 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS, which debuted this week at the Detroit auto show and will go on sale in the United States this summer features an optional MyLink infotainment system that lets motorists make hands-free phone calls, listen to MP3 music and get route guidance by linking their smartphones to the vehicle's infotainment system. But no CD player, Automotive News said.
    I knew this day would come ...

I knew this day would come ...

My Mom's car in the 70's... 1972 oldsmobile Luxury Sedanstd_1972_oldsmobile_98_luxury_hdtop_sedan.jpg First car i can recall that had power windows, power seats and bunch of other things a classroom could fit in that car.

Peace

• Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    RKCNDY wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

I loved that damn charm necklace thing :lol:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Ahhh I remember these

CABBAGE+PATCH+KIDS.JPG

Do you remember how hard they were to get when they first came out? It was crazy. I won one because I sold the most hand soap and thermometers in my school district :lol: :?

I had a girl and my best friend at the time had a boy...we had a wedding ceremony for them :lol::lol:
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    afroannnie wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Ahhh I remember these

CABBAGE+PATCH+KIDS.JPG

Do you remember how hard they were to get when they first came out? It was crazy. I won one because I sold the most hand soap and thermometers in my school district :lol: :?

I had a girl and my best friend at the time had a boy...we had a wedding ceremony for them :lol::lol:
    :lol: I love this thread! Brings back memories. I had possibly the most ugly Cabbage doll I had ever seen but I loved her. I feel sorry for kids these days too, things were more simple then. I hate that kids are exposed to things way beyond their years now, especially little girls. It's sad.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    As a kid I loved catching lightening bugs on summer nights....staying outside and playing with friends until my mom made me come in..
    If I actually wore shoes...which I usually never did...I wore these..

AAAAC3Dtz4IAAAAAAOqdaw.jpg?v=1282870747000

or these:

converse-high-top-pink.jpg

and I made some killer slushies in this...

SNOP-0156.jpg
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    1969.jpg

Sadly, this represents the apex of my cooking career.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    g under p wrote:
    Ok Ok my very first car was a light blue 1974 Pinto you know the one where if it was hit in the rear it would blow up so they say. I bought it for $400 cash, the drivers seat eventually broke and i held it up with a milk crate. I got 3 of my best years out of Betsy while in college...she eventually died by the highway in Hampton VA i said goodbye and abandoned her. :(

I was king with car...you had a car in school you were bad to the bone with the ladies.

23841730006_medium.jpg

Just like this one^^^^^but with a lot more dents. :D No 8 track, no cassettes just a radio.

Peace

oh gp you just took me back...me oldest sister bought a powder blue pinto in 1976 (new)...i spent a lot of time being driven around in that car (she did a lot of babysitting me :) )...funny thing is, about 2 years later my second oldest sister also bought a powder blue pinto :lol:

and speaking of 8-track...this was the ride that had it and on road trips we would listen to george carlin, the carpenters, frank sinatra and some country tape my dad liked

1978_Ford_Country_Squire.jpg
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    All these cars make me drool ...
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    My daughter got the Snoopy sno cone maker for her birthday last year so they still sell them somewhere!
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    RKCNDY wrote:
    bionicamy wrote:

ack...the 'snowball' was when they would yell over the speakers "IIIiiiiiiittttt's SNOWBALL TIME! Boys line up on one side and girls line up on the other" Then they would turn on the disco ball and the blue lights and play slow music...Journey or something probably. Then the boys would skate over to the girls and pick out a girl to skate with, for one song, then the DJ would say 'switch partners!' and give the guys a few minutes to pick out another girl, and then play another song. They'd do this for 3 songs. Keep in mind these were all elementary aged kids. How embarrassing!
    When we went to the skate rink they always played carnival music on those colored vinyls. Once and a while they would take our 45s and play them. Queen - We Will Rock You got shut down when everyone started stomping their skates.
    #FHP
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Love it! I feel bad for kids today, they have no idea what they're missing out on.
    My parents said the same thing about me when they saw me watching TV, playing Nintendo, etc ..and I was born in the 70s. ;)
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    bionicamy wrote:

When we went to the skate rink they always played carnival music on those colored vinyls. Once and a while they would take our 45s and play them. Queen - We Will Rock You got shut down when everyone started stomping their skates.

I remember line and partner skates but nothing like you mention... unless i have blocked such things out :lol:

We could only request songs to be played....but look out when they did!
    Ahh I want to go skating now but I think there are only rollerblades in my garage.... dont think it would end well anyway :oops: