Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    RKCNDY wrote:

maybe he's so old he forgot he posted the first time... :lol:
    :evil:

:angel:

{{{SMOOCH}}}
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    NM207023 wrote:
    OK here we go........ I go back a little bit further ( was a member of the Beatles fan club when i was 10) but i used to have a wind up record player that played 78's
    Now you all feel so young!
    You may see me at Manchester or Amsterdam I'm the tall bald one rocking very very slowly!
    Welcome! 1st post in how many years?

Neighborhood kickball, wiffleball, capture the flag, and football. We just went outside and played. Nowadays my kids wonder what I have planned.
    #FHP
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    RKCNDY wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    When I was a kid...this was my "computer" :D:D

speak_and_spell_incantor.jpg

I didn't get a Speak and Spell... :x

I hated math and got this instead:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoHXruJY0_jjIg7jgPVUxeAvYqvlBgu7yDBZzR9-Mfp7JsXTStVQ

Oh I totally forgot about that..I had that calculator too...of course, I was excited about it because I liked math.. :oops:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    This original version of Lite-Brite.

LiteBrite-1.jpg
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

LiteBrite-1.jpg

I used to have that! the dots on the paper and the holes in the frame never matched up...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    RKCNDY wrote:

LiteBrite-1.jpg

I used to have that! the dots on the paper and the holes in the frame never matched up...

Me too!! And yes, I agree..But it was so much fun punching holes into a piece of paper haha!
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    He-man, GI Joe, Mask, Transformers, lil green army men, big wheels, trading baseball cards, watching the scrambled adult channels in hopes of glimpsing a boob, atari & nintendo, gameboy, mix tapes....man, yall are taking me back!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    all i needed growing up was a basketball, baseball glove, hockey stick, or a football and i was happy
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    This thread brings back so many memories. I had that professor calculator, and loved lite brite ;)
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    We saw our music go from vinyl to 8-track to casssette to CD to MP3.
    We were there when Punk Rock was invented.
    We used to light up the arenas with our Bic lighters or matches because all of us had Bic lighters or books of matches in our pockets all of the time.
    We survived Disco (and STILL hate Disco to this day).
    Cops that pulled us over and thought we had too much alcohol in our system, made us sleep it off in our cars.
    We remember when elections came every 4 years... the shitty commercials only lasted about a month and after the election, we all became Americans again.
    We were in mosh pits in 1983.
    We remember when McDonald's used to sell actual hamburgers.
    We played on some pretty fucking dangerous playground equipment.
    We used to deliver newspapers from the handlebars of our Sting-Rays.
    Unfortunately... we are also the ones who are handing over a pretty fucked up future to you youngsters. Sorry.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Great thread, I love your list RKCNDY!

When I was a kid, watching commercials on tv was something special that we looked forward to. We didn't have that in GDR tv and it always felt great to visit people who had a tv and could receive the stations from Western Germany. We loved commercials :lol:

Oh, and you still could buy tomatoes and strawberrys that actually tasted like they should.
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Anybody remember these?

tumblr_lz7kknvmun1rprvuoo1_500.jpg
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Anybody remember these?

:clap::clap: I loved those books...my friend & I wrote our own choose your path book when we were kids...it was about aliens :lol:
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    This was my "portable gaming device"...

220px-Rubik's_cube.svg.png

...and these were still legal.

jarts.jpg
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    afroannnie wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Anybody remember these?

:clap::clap: I loved those books...my friend & I wrote our own choose your path book when we were kids...it was about aliens :lol:

I smell a new "choose your own adventure" book about The Mustache Movement's future pilgimage to PJ21 Get crackin' Ash ;)
  • Options
    kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    ...in the 70s and 80s, you never heard of or saw anyone that was allergic to peanut butter (every kid you knew brought PB and J sandwiches to school). Now, everywhere you go, you get warnings that products may have come in contact with nut or nut by-products.
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • Options
    kwdaley wrote:
    ...in the 70s and 80s, you never heard of or saw anyone that was allergic to peanut butter (every kid you knew brought PB and J sandwiches to school). Now, everywhere you go, you get warnings that products may have come in contact with nut or nut by-products.

Truth
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    we organized and officiated our own games, settled our own disputes during said games..capture the flag, kick the can, wiffle ball, basketball, street hockey, etc. we didn't have play dates, we called, knocked on doors or just went outside and met up with the other neighborhood kids.

our parents didn't know or need to know where we were every second of every day. we went and said we'd be back later...and we came back later.

our parents didn't side with us when we did something stupid. they agreed with the teachers, coaches, cops, neighbors, etc. that we f'd up and should be punished.

when we didn't make the team or play in a game our parents didn't complain that we needed a 'B' team, they told us to shake it off, get better, and get over it...and we got over it.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    when we didn't make the team or play in a game our parents didn't complain that we needed a 'B' team, they told us to shake it off, get better, and get over it...and we got over it.

This.

I remember I didn't make our traveling pee wee squad in hockey and I was devastated after tryouts. My Dad pretty much told me to suck it up because my tryouts stunk. :thumbup:
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    pjhawks wrote:
    we organized and officiated our own games, settled our own disputes during said games..capture the flag, kick the can, wiffle ball, basketball, street hockey, etc. we didn't have play dates, we called, knocked on doors or just went outside and met up with the other neighborhood kids.

our parents didn't know or need to know where we were every second of every day. we went and said we'd be back later...and we came back later.

our parents didn't side with us when we did something stupid. they agreed with the teachers, coaches, cops, neighbors, etc. that we f'd up and should be punished.

:!:
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    DS1119 wrote:
    kwdaley wrote:

Truth

kids these days are just too darn sensitive. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    We'd jump over Mr Robson's fence and nick his apples and if he caught us he'd give us a smack around the ear. If they'd known, our parents wouldn't have sued him, they'd have given us a smack around the ear as well.

We'd turn on the TV and there's be 3 channels and we had to watch a show when it was on… no recording devices for us.

We had sports days at school where the idea was to beat the other kids. Nowadays this is banned in so many UK schools because of upsetting the overweight kids. Lose weight you fat fuckers!

We'd disappear for the complete day and parents had no idea where we were. We climbed trees, built rafts, walked over the hills and rode our bikes for miles… and we survived.

We used to go to the local park and play football, other kids would ask if they could join in and we'd often end up with a game with at least 8 a side.
    Sadly we travel down to the town where I lived my childhood at least twice a year and we drive by the park. I never see a football match going on. Are the kids hanging around the shopping centre or indoors playing video games?

And when we became teenagers we saw Zeppelin at a 2000 seat venue.
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Anybody remember these?

I smell a new "choose your own adventure" book about The Mustache Movement's future pilgimage to PJ21 Get crackin' Ash ;)

:lol::lol: That would be awesome...there's endless possibilities :shock: Of course, going down the "wrong" path would lead you to a large man in a dark alley holding shaving cream and a razor.... :lol:
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    RKCNDY wrote:
    We are the last generation that learned to play in the street.
    We are the first that played video games, see cartoons in color and went to amusement parks.
    We were the last to record songs of the radio on cassettes and we are the pioneers of the walkman and chatrooms.
    We learned how to program the VCR before anyone else, play with the atari, nintendo, and believed that the internet would be a free world all on a 56kbit modem.
    We traveled in cars without seat belts or air-bags.
    We rode our bicycles down the road without brakes or helmets.
    We never had cell phones or pagers but still kept in touch.
    We did not have play stations, 99 television stations, flat screens, surround sounds, mp3s, ipods, computers, and broadband, but nevertheless we had a great time.

you rode bikes without brakes? that's a 70s and 80s thing? :? :o
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I was a young mom in the 80's ...
    seeing all this stuff brings back memories

great days to be a young mom, the very best! :D

treasure the times for sure
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    pjhawks wrote:

Perfect!!!!

Just Perfect!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    nuffingman wrote:
    We'd disappear for the complete day and parents had no idea where we were. We climbed trees, built rafts, walked over the hills and rode our bikes for miles… and we survived.
    This was the best. Just ride for miles and miles and be back by sundown.

We waited in line at Malls or West Coast Videos for concert tickets.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    First grade: We all had pencils and wrote in block script.

I couldn't wait to be in sixth grade, when you got to write in cursive, using a pen.

College: My grandmother bought me a typewriter. It was the balls. You popped in one cassette holding a black ribbon, typed until you made a mistake, popped the black ribbon cassette out, and popped in a cassette containing eraser ribbon.

I thought it was so much more cutting-edge-technology than using White-Out.

8-)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    We are the last generation of kids that were actually afraid of adults.

Man, I was really looking forward to putting the fear of god into today's youth ... but they just threaten to have their parents sue you now if their feelings are hurt. :(
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    you guys realize today's kids will be saying things like "we were the last generation to use ipads" and shit right?

just like the generation before us was the last generation to not have video games at all or color tv, etc etc etc....

tis the circle of life....

my younger brothers already say this kind of stuff about aol instant messenger---and they are in their late 20's :lol: ......does anyone use instant messenger anymore?
    chinese-happy.jpg