Children of the 70s and 80s

Comments

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    We know what mimiograph means.
    We played pinball.
    Simon was the cool electronic toy.
    We road the green machine.
    We played tackle football without helmets (1 mississippi.....)
    We road these and thought we were bad asses:

chopper2.jpg
  • Options
    wheelie.jpg

josie.jpg

and they served this at school-for breakfast!
    tahitiantreat.gif
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    backyard football has been mentioned a few times and what did you do when you couldn't get enough kids or had an odd number, you played (don't get offended, I didn't name the game and it was 1982) Smear the Queer.

The rules, toss the ball up. A kid grabs it and runs until everyone else crushes him. Then he'd toss it up.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    A friend of mine shared this, it is sadly so true!

mixed+tape.jpg

that's awesome chiqui, so true
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    backyard football has been mentioned a few times and what did you do when you couldn't get enough kids or had an odd number, you played (don't get offended, I didn't name the game and it was 1982) Smear the Queer.

The rules, toss the ball up. A kid grabs it and runs until everyone else crushes him. Then he'd toss it up.

i see kids playing football in my neighborhood all the time (it's part of the reason i had a fence put up to keep them off my yard and away from my dog :lol: )
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

i see kids playing football in my neighborhood all the time (it's part of the reason i had a fence put up to keep them off my yard and away from my dog :lol: )

Our township started a huge flag football league over the summer which is a ton of fun and good for the kids. But I haven't seen a backyard game of tackle in years.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....

and somehow we survived
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm sure the name of this game has gone the way of the dodo, but did anyone play Smear the Queer as a kid? (forgive thy, P.C. gods, for thou dost not suggest what ye thinks.)

Anyway, it was a game that consisted of someone running around the playground with a ball with everyone else chasing him in hopes of catching and beating the crap out of him until he dropped the ball. Then whoever picked up the ball got chased, beaten, and so on. There wasn't a scoring system that I was aware of and the game went on until the recess bell rang.

There's no way this game still exists, right?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    did anyone ever get hit in the head with a Teddy Ruxpin? Holy fuck that was painful.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    some more i've thought of:

we didn't have our own water bottles, we all drank from the same jug or even the hose on the side of a house

we didn't get rides to and from school, practice, friends houses, etc.

we collected and traded baseball cards

we ate mcdonald's and didn't get fat

we had energy because we were kids, not because we drank soda and ate chocolate...ok maybe that was the real reason but no one ever scolded it for us...

the weird kids were weird, not ADHD, ADD, bipolar, etc.

as we got a bit older we got high by smoking pot
  • Options

Our township started a huge flag football league over the summer which is a ton of fun and good for the kids. But I haven't seen a backyard game of tackle in years.

ah you're right...these kids don't play tackle. it's like rough touch. and my next door neighbors (the parents of some of them) always are outside on their back deck watching/supervising. i remember a few months ago making fun of them to my wife because they were arguing about a pass interference call. :lol: 11 year olds arguing about pass interference--haha

back in the day we had a game across the street from my house pretty much every saturday in the fall. it was pretty violent. and it was like 8 on 8 with each team having an o-line and everything. those games were so much fun. we continued playing even through college during thanksgiving weekend...but it died out after a few years. those were fun times.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    A-BALL....this was a staple for years. the field across the street from my parents house had little league diamonds on it. and there were always beer league softball games at night in the summer. during the day we'd ride our bikes all day long....then go home and have dinner....then it was off to the softball games to play a-ball off the wall of the field house.

god forbid if you dropped the ball...you were risking your life running to the wall while a whole shit load of kids were gunning at you. we'd play with multiple tennis balls so you had pretty much no chance of making it to the wall unscathed.

---edit: now there is a new field house with trees planted behind it. kids can't play a-ball there if they wanted to :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    one from my youth in school. Practice evacuating in case of another Three Mile Island meltdown. I can still hear my grandmother calling the towers "The Monsters" :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    Scary_Stories_to_Tell_in_the_Dark_cover.jpg
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    afroannnie wrote:
    When I was a kid...this was my "computer" :D:D

speak_and_spell_incantor.jpg
    holy shit. a speak & spell

you are awesome
    i just felt my chest cave in
    i loved my speak & spell

mine was tweaked out with all the tago switches tho :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    A-BALL....this was a staple for years. the field across the street from my parents house had little league diamonds on it. and there were always beer league softball games at night in the summer. during the day we'd ride our bikes all day long....then go home and have dinner....then it was off to the softball games to play a-ball off the wall of the field house.

god forbid if you dropped the ball...you were risking your life running to the wall while a whole shit load of kids were gunning at you. we'd play with multiple tennis balls so you had pretty much no chance of making it to the wall unscathed.

---edit: now there is a new field house with trees planted behind it. kids can't play a-ball there if they wanted to :lol:
    I grew up playing this but we called it "Butt's up"
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    hide & seek was the greatest stuff in the world.
    as was catch 'em kiss 'em :twisted:
    and pom pom pull away
    and dirt clod war

if you were a kid that did not have stitches, black eyes, cuts and bruises, and a busted up body
    you did not last long
    at the chadwick & brothers' house

we fought and fought well and a lot
    playing hard was inside or outside
    the entire yard and countryside was a boxing ring and ramps for bicycles jumps
    and hills were for sledding and stunts

we kissed girls in the alfalfa fields with honeybees
    and the frogs in the ponds
    often were in our pockets

and in 1979 both my grandmothers died
    six month apart :shock:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    we used to have like 25 kids playing flashlight tag throughout our entire neighborhood for hours. It might take you a half hour to actually find someone. We'd be out there all night. We also had a game we created called "Wall Ball" that I am still amazed never ended up with someone in the hospital. Nowadays, kids wouldn't be interested in either because it doesn't involve a headset, a joystick, and killing zombies/monsters/terrorists and would require leaving the house and actually interacting with others. Speaking of that...as kids we also used to play instruments, not pretend that we could in front of a video game.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    When we got in trouble we got our asses whooped.

You could smoke anywhere like in the supermarket.
    #FHP
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    in the summer we would be in the pool all day and make up our own games like "the movie game"

one person at one end would think of a movie, give a few clues and everyone else at the other end would guess what it is. whoever got it right would race the one person to the other side and back. the winner got to pick the next movie... good times
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I lived in a section of town called The Maze. In the 1890s or so it was a golf course, so the roads are all twisty turny, and there are various one ways in the middle. People inevitably got lost.

Back then, if an adult pulled over and asked a kid for direction, the kid could actually give the directions without screaming and running away in fear of a childnapper.

And the kid would be fairly polite about it.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    we drank beer
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

ah you're right...these kids don't play tackle. it's like rough touch. and my next door neighbors (the parents of some of them) always are outside on their back deck watching/supervising. i remember a few months ago making fun of them to my wife because they were arguing about a pass interference call. :lol: 11 year olds arguing about pass interference--haha

back in the day we had a game across the street from my house pretty much every saturday in the fall. it was pretty violent. and it was like 8 on 8 with each team having an o-line and everything. those games were so much fun. we continued playing even through college during thanksgiving weekend...but it died out after a few years. those were fun times.

We used to play tackle every weekend in the fall... I had an older brother, and once in a while my friend (who had an older brother) would play with them... one of us on each team. They were only like 2-3 years older, but it was terrifying when you got the ball and they all came after you lol.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380

OMG!!!!!! YES!!!!!! I was just talking about these books recently...so good!!!

I remember playing baseball in the street intersections, using sewers for the bases. We were ALWAYS outside riding our bikes and going to parks and doing all kinds of crazy things. Selling lemonade and people actually bought it! I never see kids out in the summer anymore, that is so sad!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    we drank beer
    michelob in cans stolen from some Dad's stash in the garage

and we cleaned the seeds from our weed using Led Zeppelin IV and a baseball card
  • Options
    Leyna MinaiLeyna Minai Posts: 688
    Mamasan23 wrote:

OMG!!!!!! YES!!!!!! I was just talking about these books recently...so good!!!

Have you seen what they did to this lately? They CHANGED THE ART! And instead of scary, it's all..cutesy now. :sick:
    They ruined a good thing!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickr16/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-they-changed-th-4mxg
    7/15/2011 - Benoroya Hall - (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Seattle, WA
    4/2/2008 - The Center in Vancouver for Performing Arts (Eddie Vedder Solo) - Vancouver, WA
    9/21/2009 Key Arena - Seattle, WA
    7/22/2006 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge Ampitheater - George, WA
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,810
    I walked out the front door and played with my friends...

I didnt play on Fantasy Island....Also known as Facebook....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Have you seen what they did to this lately? They CHANGED THE ART! And instead of scary, it's all..cutesy now. :sick:
    They ruined a good thing!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickr16/scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-they-changed-th-4mxg

NO NO NO!! This is awful news!! The new art is stupid! A huge part of why these stories were so scary/creepy is because of the art they had. I'm gonna try to find the originals on Amazon or something, it'd be cool to have those books again.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    never left the house without my ghostbusting gear! i think i even wore it to church one sunday.

tumblr_l93v5lfyxF1qb3mmfo1_400.jpg
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    College: My grandmother bought me a typewriter. It was the balls. You popped in one cassette holding a black ribbon, typed until you made a mistake, popped the black ribbon cassette out, and popped in a cassette containing eraser ribbon.

I thought it was so much more cutting-edge-technology than using White-Out.

8-)
    I had one of those typewriters! Smith Corona-matic! I thought I was cool because I'd pop in a blue or brown cartridge when I wrote letters to my friends. :roll: :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."