Options

Official DMB Thread

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    The promotional period for Dave Matthews Band’s new album, Away From the World, kicks into high gear with a new cover story in Billboard magazine.

Dave Matthews, Stefan Lessard and producer Steve Lillywhite spoke to Billboard about the Away From the World recording process, some of the album’s songs and the band members’ personal relationships.

“There’s a spontaneity in this band, and maybe an overall love of music, that drives us more than any other thing, and then the good fortune of being able to play music together that we love more than we could find music by ourselves,” Dave said. “Maybe that’s what people see in us: the love and joy we have playing together. It doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what I’m singing about when I’m writing lyrics, but I do think that’s what keeps this band together, the love of what we’re doing together.”

Dave’s comments throughout the article have a much more positive outlook than what he said in this week’s Rolling Stone, where he seemed uncertain about DMB’s future. Stefan also had positive things to say about the band’s relationships.

“When this band gets in the studio, something happens,” he said. “We hang out more, we see each other more, we eat dinners together more. In the studio, that’s the time we have to really be experimental and creative and open with each other.”

Away From the World comes out Sept. 11; to promote the album, DMB will appear on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” that week, according to Billboard. Other promotions will include a performance by Dave on NPR’s “All Things Considered” (which he taped Aug. 9) and a streaming preview of the album on iTunes.

Away From the World songs

In the Billboard article, Dave commented on some of the songs on the new album:

“Belly Belly Nice” and “Mercy”
    “It’s all about sex,” he said. “… When we were putting the album together it was very funny to go from to ‘Mercy,’ which is about love of the world and merciful love.”

“Drunken Soldier”
    “There’s a simple, beautiful melody that Boyd [Tinsley] came up with, and I don’t think if we were in the studio with anyone else [besides Lillywhite] that Boyd would have felt the comfort in himself to open up to get that,” he said.

In addition, the article described “Drunken Soldier,” “The Riff” and “Snow Outside” as “set pieces” that are “sure to be live classics when they get their due onstage.”
    http://www.dmbnews.net/2012/08/dave-mat ... ether.html
  • Options
    run times for Away From The World

Broken Things – 3:48
    Belly Belly Nice – 3:53
    Mercy – 4:28
    Gaucho – 4:25
    Sweet – 4:12
    The Riff – 5:35
    Belly Full – 1:43
    If Only – 5:38
    Rooftop – 4:12
    Snow Outside – 6:11
    Drunken Soldier - 9:45
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    2 weeks
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Come on, leak already! 8-)
  • Options
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    :nono:
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    :lol: Hey now, I have the super deluxe version AND the vinyl on pre-order :P I just wanna listen to the album already :D
  • Options
    damn i wish this was permanent! :(
    New: Dave Matthews Band Radio

Dave Matthews Band Radio debuts exclusively on SiriusXM Radio, featuring interviews and live recordings from the band’s archives. The limited-run channel will launch on Saturday, September 1 at 11 pm ET with an exclusive live broadcast of the Dave Matthews Band concert from the historic Gorge amphitheater in Washington state.

Additionally, listeners will hear band members personally introduce each song off the group’s upcoming eighth studio album, Away From the World, scheduled for release September 11, plus hear the band share stories about the songs, each other and their 20-year career. Dave Matthews Band Radio will also feature music from the band’s entire catalog, concert recordings, as well as music from Dave Matthews’ side projects as a solo artist and with Tim Reynolds.

Dave Matthews Band Radio airs September 1 – September 30 on Sirius Ch. 142, XM Ch. 43, online on SiriusXM Limited Engagements 3, Ch. 714, as well as through the SiriusXM Internet Radio App for smartphones and mobile devices.
  • Options
    From the DMB website: "Visit DMB’s YouTube channel each day for the next couple of weeks to watch a 14-part series of conversations between Dave and longtime friend and fan, Rodrigo Simas of DMBrasil. By way of Skype from Brazil, Rodrigo joined Dave in the studio in Virginia for a filmed conversation about Away from The World."

Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdvg0wbO8Ug&feature=plcp
    Episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_9dxq6FQw&feature=plcp
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    norm wrote:
    damn i wish this was permanent! :(
    New: Dave Matthews Band Radio

Dave Matthews Band Radio debuts exclusively on SiriusXM Radio, featuring interviews and live recordings from the band’s archives. The limited-run channel will launch on Saturday, September 1 at 11 pm ET with an exclusive live broadcast of the Dave Matthews Band concert from the historic Gorge amphitheater in Washington state.

Additionally, listeners will hear band members personally introduce each song off the group’s upcoming eighth studio album, Away From the World, scheduled for release September 11, plus hear the band share stories about the songs, each other and their 20-year career. Dave Matthews Band Radio will also feature music from the band’s entire catalog, concert recordings, as well as music from Dave Matthews’ side projects as a solo artist and with Tim Reynolds.

Dave Matthews Band Radio airs September 1 – September 30 on Sirius Ch. 142, XM Ch. 43, online on SiriusXM Limited Engagements 3, Ch. 714, as well as through the SiriusXM Internet Radio App for smartphones and mobile devices.

I think if people listen it'll stick. tons of live stuff...I could see it hanging around
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    It's a good thing a ton of people back in the states (especially on the east coast) stayed up late as hell to listen to the stream of the new album that was promised by a San Diego radio station, because of course it was never played. I was a little upset this morning when I tried to listen, but some people literally got extremely upset... :shock: :fp:

Supposedly there is going to be a stream on iTunes all this week leading up to the release of the album on the 11th. It's not up yet, but who knows the actual validity of it because I haven't seen anything else posted about it anywhere but in threads on the Warehouse.
  • Options
    DMB Radio started on siriusXM
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    DMB Radio started on siriusXM
    Unfortunately it won't be permanent. Just until the end of this month.
  • Options
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    It's a good thing a ton of people back in the states (especially on the east coast) stayed up late as hell to listen to the stream of the new album that was promised by a San Diego radio station, because of course it was never played. I was a little upset this morning when I tried to listen, but some people literally got extremely upset... :shock: :fp:

Supposedly there is going to be a stream on iTunes all this week leading up to the release of the album on the 11th. It's not up yet, but who knows the actual validity of it because I haven't seen anything else posted about it anywhere but in threads on the Warehouse.

It's available now on itunes. Swarm, swarm. I'm debating on just waiting until I receive my copy.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Going to the show this Sunday at Shoreline, my wife's fan club tix showed up last week. I'm looking forward to hearing some of the new songs live.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    so i decided to record the itunes stream

http://www.mediafire.com/?rtqp5at1fpit9i2

sorry if this is tempting for those who want to wait ;):D
  • Options
    Just listened to the album from the iTunes stream and WOW!!!!! So incredibly impressed! The only song I don't like is 'Sweet', really other than that dug the entire rest of the album. Favorite tracks as of now: The Riff (holy hell, this soars!), Broken Things, Gaucho, If Only, Rooftop
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    Just listened to the album from the iTunes stream and WOW!!!!! So incredibly impressed! The only song I don't like is 'Sweet', really other than that dug the entire rest of the album. Favorite tracks as of now: The Riff (holy hell, this soars!), Broken Things, Gaucho, If Only, Rooftop

I started to listen then just decided to wait.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    samjam wrote:

I started to listen then just decided to wait.
    I was the opposite! I was like 'just gonna give it a tiny preview' but then got hooked and listened to the whole album!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    norm wrote:

Super cool!!!!!! :thumbup:
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    I didn't really get anything out of it on the first listen. Couldn't even finish listening to the album actually. The songs just sounded really dull and boring.

This may be an acquired taste...
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    norm wrote:

Thanks norm, will download later! :thumbup:
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    after a couple listens...wow!

it usually takes me a while to fully embrace a new album (by any artist) but this one is gonna be a classic
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    after a couple listens...wow!

THANKS NORM !!! :o

Love what I'm hearing !
  • Options
    www.dmbstream.com

Shut Down:-(
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    http://www.dmbstream.com

didn't know it existed...did they stream strictly audience shows or did they also stream live trax etc?
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    norm wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    http://www.dmbstream.com

didn't know it existed...did they stream strictly audience shows or did they also stream live trax etc?

dont recall about live trax but that site was amazing, u could even stream thru an iphone
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4