Options

Official DMB Thread

Comments

• Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Looks like Maryland Heights had a subpar night, not much life in that setlist.

I'll have to agree. The Song That Jane Likes sticks out (one of my favs) and Typical Situation was insanely good in Camden. Other than that seems standard. That one song encore wouldve annoyed me if i were at the show
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    LloydXmas wrote:
    a friend of mine just told me that a local wine shop has been selling dreaming tree for months. Going to pick up a few bottles :-)
    Awesome!!! Just found out a shop near me is carrying some Dreaming Tree stuff so a friend and I are gonna check it out next week!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/07/12/dave-matthews-band-member-volunteers-in-homewood/
    Good on ya, Fonz! Excited to see what they'll pull out in this next 2-nighter!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Great energy tonight, little odd setlist, I'll post some more thoughts after I get some sleep.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    Jnich2424Jnich2424 Posts: 608
    Belly Belly Nice, song debut. Best song they've played off the new album so far IMO. Really digging it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnQaduZLo2M
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Great, great night tonight. Beats night 1 by a bunch in my mind. Pig, Dreaming Tree, Big Eyed Fish. Great energy, fantastic (and huge) crowd, Dave was talkative and happy all night it seemed. Great show, great weekend. Can't wait to do it again next time.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    My sister had to brag about how they got free tix tonight for D&T because someone she knows is a friend with an owner of Wegman's, who happens to be a sponsor at CMAC.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Jnich2424 wrote:
    Belly Belly Nice, song debut. Best song they've played off the new album so far IMO. Really digging it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnQaduZLo2M
    I'm liking this a lot!! Can't help but groove to it! Horns sound fantastic and glad to hear a little Boyd solo on there. Getting more and more excited for the new album as more tracks keep debuting live!

Also: Hello Again Pt. 4 is up!!! Focus is on West Palm Beach and the performance at the end is The Stone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecg5797bR-I&feature=related
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    Well, that does it for the bulk of the tour so far (at least what has been announced- I have a feeling more will be on the way!) until the Gorge + 3 California shows. Glad I got to go to 4 shows and absolutely can't wait for Away From the World! Shows this tour have been awesome- a lot of repeats especially on more rare songs, but nevertheless amazing. What do you guys think is coming next? More US dates? Abroad? Dave & Tim dates?
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    hollywood bowl 9/12!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:8-)
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    norm wrote:

Really hoping there is a fall tour as well!! I read rumors on antsmarching that they are playing MSG 11/19-11/20
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    norm wrote:

Really hoping there is a fall tour as well!! I read rumors on antsmarching that they are playing MSG 11/19-11/20
    Ooohhh have not heard about this rumor! Crossing my fingers than any NYC dates during my fall semester are on a weekend so my best friends and I can all come home for the weekend to see the show(s), like we did in 2010!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    The advertisement for his new cd landed in my email yesterday. I'm excited to hear it. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    norm wrote:

Got that email today and thought of you!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    norm wrote:

CONFIMRED!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Congrats!! That's gonna be one amazing show!!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    gbpat54gbpat54 Posts: 69
    Really excited for this album to arrive !!! From what I've heard thus far I won't be disappointed.....Love the fact that Steve Lillywhite is BACK !!!
  • Options
    hmmmm....
    Dave Matthews has some conflicting things to say about Dave Matthews Band’s future and its hardcore fans.

In a new interview with Rolling Stone, Dave discussed the challenges of writing songs for the new DMB album, Away From the World, plus his thoughts on the 2012 presidential election and AC/DC. His response to the questions, “What about the future of the band? Where do you see DMB going from here?” were concerning to some fans, however.

“I don’t know,” Dave replied. “There are two sides to everything. I feed this beast that I’m part of, and in some way I worry that it loses legitimacy. Then there’s the other part of me that says I’m really lucky to be part of something that turns a lot of people on and still turns us on.”

Dave also had this to say about DMB’s hardcore fans, particularly those who track the band’s setlists in real time:

“It makes it harder for us to get any new fans. People are like, ‘I don’t want to be part of that!’ There’s certainly an obsessed core, and I have to be grateful.”

The interview is light on details about Away From the World, which comes out Sept. 11. It describes the song “If Only,” which DMB played this summer, as being inspired by Al Green, and it calls “Drunken Soldier” a “trippy, 10-minute epic,” which matches earlier reviews.

“Nowadays, I have to dig a lot harder when I’m writing,” Dave said. “I’m more critical. There’s a freedom to being young that is harder to come by as time goes on.”
    http://www.dmbnews.net/2012/08/dave-mat ... -here.html
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    hmmmm....
    Dave Matthews has some conflicting things to say about Dave Matthews Band’s future and its hardcore fans.

In a new interview with Rolling Stone, Dave discussed the challenges of writing songs for the new DMB album, Away From the World, plus his thoughts on the 2012 presidential election and AC/DC. His response to the questions, “What about the future of the band? Where do you see DMB going from here?” were concerning to some fans, however.

“I don’t know,” Dave replied. “There are two sides to everything. I feed this beast that I’m part of, and in some way I worry that it loses legitimacy. Then there’s the other part of me that says I’m really lucky to be part of something that turns a lot of people on and still turns us on.”

Dave also had this to say about DMB’s hardcore fans, particularly those who track the band’s setlists in real time:

“It makes it harder for us to get any new fans. People are like, ‘I don’t want to be part of that!’ There’s certainly an obsessed core, and I have to be grateful.”

The interview is light on details about Away From the World, which comes out Sept. 11. It describes the song “If Only,” which DMB played this summer, as being inspired by Al Green, and it calls “Drunken Soldier” a “trippy, 10-minute epic,” which matches earlier reviews.

“Nowadays, I have to dig a lot harder when I’m writing,” Dave said. “I’m more critical. There’s a freedom to being young that is harder to come by as time goes on.”
    http://www.dmbnews.net/2012/08/dave-mat ... -here.html

Saw that this AM too, made me a bit sick to my stomach! :? I really hope it was simply just catching Dave on a bad day. Weird to see him speak like this, the band has seemed to be in a great place lately.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    norm wrote:

Nice!!! Have so much fun!!!

I'm also bummed about this Dave interview. I guess I can kind of see where he's coming from...but it doesn't seem to bode well :?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    i wouldn't worry much about what dave says...he's said things like this before...he's a strange duck that dave :lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    i wouldn't worry much about what dave says...he's said things like this before...he's a strange duck that dave :lol:
    This is also true.

Also, just read a pretty cool interview with Boyd, on his movie Faces in the Mirror, Away From the World, and fans. Here's an excerpt (with link) of the latter 2 parts!

""Steve is an amazing guy. Steve is an amazing person as a person and he's a brilliant person as a producer. Steve just understands DMB in a way I think nobody else does. He understands each individual member and their specific roles in the band in a way that nobody else really gets. And he also knows just how to get that music out of us. Steve's thing is a lot about vibe. It's a lot about making you feel comfortable and trusting yourself to open your heart and to just go. That's where Under the Table, Crash, Before These Crowded Streets and The Lillywhite Sessions came from - everything we have with him - there's just a vibe to it. There's a vibe of, 'We aren't going to put any restrictions on this. We're going to dig deep for the music and go until we find the good stuff.' It was so much fun. It was like the beginning days again. It was like all our creative bounds had been expanded. One of the reasons was that we had taken a year off [from touring]. We came [to the studio] with fresh ears, new ideas and an excitement to play. We got to the studio and it was so much fun. It might have been the best session or one of the best sessions I have ever experienced. A session of joy. Working with Steve was awesome man. It was a very grounding kind of thing. I had kind of forgotten what it was like because we hadn't worked with Steve in like ten years, but we've done like five albums with him. Reconnecting with him was like reconnecting with ourselves in a way that we hadn't since we had last worked with him. It was a really special session."

He goes on to talk a little more about Away from the World:

"The music that came out of it really just blew me away. It is stuff that feels like a Dave Matthews Band record. This feels like us! ...like if we had made Under the Table now at our ages and with all our experiences at this point. It has that same kind of excitement. Steve just brings out all these different subtleties of music from different instruments. He'll grab a little piece of violin and little piece of electric guitar and of horns and use it. He's always grabbing from the air. Those are the things that make the songs he produces so amazing. It's those little details. It's always fun to go dig for, as Steve would say, ‘those juicy bits' and those great musical moments that he can use in the context of the music. It was a lot of fun. It was really a lot of fun. I am really excited about the record. I think it is a really great record. It is an album in a story sense. It is one of those you can start anywhere but you want to stay locked in for the ride. You will want to hear the entire thing from beginning to end."

TOURING AND FANS

Before we wrapped up, we talked briefly about touring and his thoughts on the fan base and the relationship between DMB and their fans. He began by talking about the signs that are a staple at every show: "Sometimes you just can't ignore it. There are times if a crowd really wants a song, we'll give them that song if we can. We definitely take notice. Sometimes we will play it and sometimes we won't. We just have to feel it out. What the fans want is important to us. At the same time, the great thing we love about you guys [the fans] is that you guys give us the freedom to do what we want up on stage. The fans have been a part of this band since the beginning. It was the fans that put this band on the map with cassette tapes and people passing them around to their friends all around the country. The fans got the word out on DMB. We have been tight with the fans from day one and it is very important what the fans have to say all the way to what songs to play. And a lot of time I am really digging what the fans want to play! Sometimes I'm like, 'I hope we do that one.' Especially some nights with Halloween. I definitely dig that!""
    http://antsmarching.org/columns/column.php?columnid=102
    Getting pumped for Away From the World! Just don't know which version to order. Stuck between deluxe and super deluxe!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    this will be my view for the hollywood bowl show

bowl_section_photo_14.jpg

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    norm wrote:
    this will be my view for the hollywood bowl show

bowl_section_photo_14.jpg

:mrgreen:
    place looks cool. i havent heard any new songs.
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    i havent heard any new songs.

i've listened to gaucho and mercy once but i think that's it...i want to hear the songs on the album first...of course, i'll have seen them twice before the album comes out :fp: :lol::lol:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    i havent heard any new songs.

i've listened to gaucho and mercy once but i think that's it...i want to hear the songs on the album first...of course, i'll have seen them twice before the album comes out :fp: :lol::lol:
    I've really liked the vast majority of all the new songs! Gaucho and If Only are definitely my favorites. Really like The Riff and Belly Belly Nice. Sweet is just what the title says, sweet. Only song I'm not crazy about is Mercy, but I definitely don't hate it. Really excited to hear the rest of the songs, especially Drunken Sailor. A few members have said it's absolutely epic!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    it's been 4 years today since we lost leroi...that was one of, if not the most, sad, surreal shows i've ever been to...i was glad the band decided to share it with us

http://jiveassrevolution.tumblr.com/pos ... what-a-sad
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    it's been 4 years today since we lost leroi...that was one of, if not the most, sad, surreal shows i've ever been to...i was glad the band decided to share it with us

http://jiveassrevolution.tumblr.com/pos ... what-a-sad
    Wow, can't believe you were there, norm. I can't even imagine being in the crowd to hear the sad news and even more so can't imagine how the band was feeling that night/got through the night/found it in themselves to keep going through the rest of the tour...

My very first DMB show was MSG '09, which was the first show of that year's tour and the first leg of a tour proper without Roi. The crowd at one point chanted LE-ROI, LE-ROI so incredibly loudly, I remember being so moved. Definitely moved the band too, I could have sworn Dave and/or Boyd might have shed a tear or two.

I'm sure you've seen this before, but worthy of a link, a moving tribute that happened 9/08 in Rio, fans released white balloons into the air during #41 prompting an emotional, moving, full-of-respect response from the band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2dL8MGDsRU
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    samjam wrote:
    Wow, can't believe you were there, norm. I can't even imagine being in the crowd to hear the sad news and even more so can't imagine how the band was feeling that night/got through the night/found it in themselves to keep going through the rest of the tour...

i had found out before i left to go to the show...it was weird walking around staples because most people did n't know...when i got to my seat most of the people around me didn't know and even when i told them they didn't fully believe me (understandable)...i knew they were gonna open with bartender but after that i was surprised they continued with the show

thanks for the video...that was cool
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I was lucky enough to be at LeRoi's last show.

I think what Dave said about the hardcore fans is dead on. It's good and bad and he also said that he is grateful for them.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer