Question for the men

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    no no ... second date required ... evening ... with booze ... :lol:
  • 81 wrote:
    so if we have determined we don't want to date this guy....can we at least have a sordid affair with him.
    We're easy...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Look, everyone goes through points in their life where they love one thing or another... Changing taste is a sign of growing not forgetting. If you loved Bach that much, start listening again. I grew up a HUGE Bach fan... especially the Fugue's... Been to a ton of chamber music concerts... but it has been years. Does not mean I am not still a fan and would listen if given the opportunity. I would and do. It's something my father in law and I have in common. But I feel more complete because I have expanded into other musical interests, including this band... Just because he listens to Bach only, does not make him more adequate... In fact, sounds like he needs to expand his horizon a little.

You sound like a person who is passionate and has experienced a ton... Don't let anyone make you feel that you are not tops...

Now about horrible memories... I am the worst.

Thanks. :)
    81 wrote:
    so if we have determined we don't want to date this guy....can we at least have a sordid affair with him.
    We're easy...

:lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    although i gotta say - dude listens to bach exclusively now!?? ... that seems off kilter ... screams of pretentiousness ... but i'm probably wrong ... :lol:

I don't know; I liken it to a couple of years ago when I listened to nothing but Pearl Jam nonstop. It's not that I don't have a broader musical taste; it's just that PJ is what I was most passionate about at the time. I think this guy has a really extensive musical taste, actually.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,213
    Is there a chance that his conversation came across as pretentious at all? Knowledge takes a few different shapes and there's a pretty wide gap between arriving at your ideologies through comprehension and parroting back things you've learned. The way you described his approach seems a little intellectually aggressive in how he was controlling the conversation. Not trying to put you on the spot and feel free to take the question as rhetorical. Just wondering if you're taking responsibility for your apprehension when your instincts might be picking up on something else.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I honestly could not see myself dating or hanging around someone who exclusively listens to Bach.
    Here is a link to brush up for your next date
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach

was he belting out a bach tune at the karoke? sebastian bach, lol?

I'm glad you enjoyed your date with him. If he met me, I'm so dumb and hard of hearing esp with background noise, the conversation would have ended in 5 minutes!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I'm glad you had a good time! :thumbup:

I would let him make the next move, he'll prob ask you to karaoke! :lol:

do they play johann whatever his name is bach at a karaoke?
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    pjl44 wrote:
    Is there a chance that his conversation came across as pretentious at all? Knowledge takes a few different shapes and there's a pretty wide gap between arriving at your ideologies through comprehension and parroting back things you've learned. The way you described his approach seems a little intellectually aggressive in how he was controlling the conversation. Not trying to put you on the spot and feel free to take the question as rhetorical. Just wondering if you're taking responsibility for your apprehension when your instincts might be picking up on something else.

I agree. Good point.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    iluvcats wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

I agree. Good point.

+ 1
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    I only listen to Bach too

image.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Heisenberg wrote:

image.jpg

well done....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    so....are we sleeping with the guy or what? if not...i'm moving on to a new thread.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I don't think she likes him (deep down) and I don't either :)
    81 wrote:
    so....are we sleeping with the guy or what? if not...i'm moving on to a new thread.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    The pic of seb bach that I got from his site was too many pixels and it would not let me paste it in! he's a tall guy.
    Heisenberg wrote:

image.jpg
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    81 wrote:

that doesn't answer the question..
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    81 wrote:

that doesn't answer the question..
    :lol::lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    iluvcats wrote:
    81 wrote:

That will be no for a mass sex party then :D
    pjl44 wrote:

Great question! No, I really don't think he was being pretentious. I think he's just really intellectual and those are the kinds of things he likes to talk about. He is a professor, after all. I really enjoyed the conversation! I'm really happy that we talked about all those things. It just reminded me that I'm not in that place in my life anymore and I miss it. I don't work in that part of the university and most of the people I know don't talk about those things. I think I'm just projecting my insecurities onto him.
    edited February 2012
    iluvcats wrote:
    I honestly could not see myself dating or hanging around someone who exclusively listens to Bach.
    Here is a link to brush up for your next date
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach

was he belting out a bach tune at the karoke? sebastian bach, lol?

I'm glad you enjoyed your date with him. If he met me, I'm so dumb and hard of hearing esp with background noise, the conversation would have ended in 5 minutes!

Thanks for the link! I've decided that when I finally finish this master's degree (7 more weeks! :D ) I'm going to brush up on Bach and all the other things I loved learning & talking about when I was an undergrad and studied for the sake of learning.

Yeah, he hummed one of Bach's fugues at karaoke. :lol: No, he sang Aerosmith (I think) and Barry Manilow.

The background noise was killing me. He really must think I was totally all over him based on how I was leaning across the table to hear him the whole time! :lol:
    Post edited by _ on
    iluvcats wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol: So far I like him enough to have another conversation with him, but not enough to sleep with him just yet (unless there's a lot of alcohol involved & I get to touch his hair). :P
    _ wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    81 wrote:

:lol: So far I like him enough to have another conversation with him, but not enough to sleep with him just yet (unless there's a lot of alcohol involved & I get to touch his hair). :P

game on....

lets get _ laid :lol:

if we don't hear anything back by wed of next week, we are going to need to make a move
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    _ wrote:

game on....

lets get _ laid :lol:

if we don't hear anything back by wed of next week, we are going to need to make a move

:lol::lol:
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,213
    _ wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

Great question! No, I really don't think he was being pretentious. I think he's just really intellectual and those are the kinds of things he likes to talk about. He is a professor, after all. I really enjoyed the conversation! I'm really happy that we talked about all those things. It just reminded me that I'm not in that place in my life anymore and I miss it. I don't work in that part of the university and most of the people I know don't talk about those things. I think I'm just projecting my insecurities onto him.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure if there was the possibility of a Good Will Hunting moment in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmRe_fK7pbw
    pjl44 wrote:
    _ wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

Fair enough. I wasn't sure if there was the possibility of a Good Will Hunting moment in the future.

you stop being a negative nancy....we have a guy to abuse :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pjl44 wrote:
    _ wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

:lol::lol: I totally thought of that scene when I read your original post. :)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    [quote="iluvcats"

^^^this is me...I hate it when I have to ask people 'what' more than twice....too many damn concerts that I had to squeeze my way to the front. :(
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    _ wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:
    81 wrote:

:? Ok this thread has gone from oddly amusing to weird :D
    stargirl69 wrote:
    _ wrote:

:? Ok this thread has gone from oddly amusing to weird :D

:lol: What first attracted me to him was his great hair. It's so cool I just want to reach out and touch it! :P
    that is how we roll in the AET
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg