Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,852
    One of best college coaches ever, in top 5 worst NFL coaches ever
    You can throw lots of successful college coaches in that mix.  Spurrier, Saban, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, Harbaugh (he sucks in college), Petrino, etc. 

Oh and the worst... Lou Holtz.  He cried his way out of NY halfway through the season if my NFL history serves me right.  

It's a lot easier to name the successful ones:  Jimmy Johnson, Paul Brown, Pete Carrol.  I don't count Switzer.  
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,548

Ohhhh, this is an interesting thought experiment.  Is he?  Can anyone name 5 coaches worse than him?
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815

Ohhhh, this is an interesting thought experiment.  Is he?  Can anyone name 5 coaches worse than him?
    Spurrier was better, but not by much.  He just didn't try....it looked like Urban didn't try and damaged his team by being an ahole.  

I'm sure there must be worse...but in recent years he gets my vote.
    Jim Tomsula for the Niners is one who was atrocious.  However, he didn't have the expectations, being a jerk to his team, and off field stuff that Urban did.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Spurrier was better, but not by much.  He just didn't try....it looked like Urban didn't try and damaged his team by being an ahole.  

I'm sure there must be worse...but in recent years he gets my vote.
    Jim Tomsula for the Niners is one who was atrocious.  However, he didn't have the expectations, being a jerk to his team, and off field stuff that Urban did.

Rich Kotite always comes to mind for me.  Nathaniel Hackett did himself no favors.
  • Options
    Can Steeler fans come up with a less lame song than Renegade?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,400

Being a Pats' fan, I can knock 2 out without even straining the brain:
    Rod Rust
    Dick MacPherson.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    Poncier said:

Rod Rust
    Dick MacPherson.
    Ha.  Growing up in NE, I remember those guys....
    I'd argue that neither was as bad as Meyer, who didn't even make it a season before his embarassed owner had to fire his ass
      Meyer is such a giant asshole that he never gained respect from his team, despite his incredible college resume.  2 wins but could not finish a season.

Rust only won 1 game but his team was worse and he didn't kick his players and get headlines for being touchy with women at his own bar.

Coach Mac was for sure better.  Did he stink?  Yes
      Was he as bad as Meyer?  No way.

Holtz (as mentioned by someone else) and Petrino are two who probably were as bad.
    Tough to think of others. 

• Options
    I bet they could, but it (kinda) works!  There were articles about this last year (Does New Data Show that 'Renegade' Gives the Steelers a Statistical Advantage in the 4th Quarter? (steelernation.com).
    "According to the researchers at Point Park University [my alma mater!], AFTER Renegade is played:

• The Steelers maintained a lead in 33 games (61.1%) and came from behind to win or tie in six games (11.1%); they lost the lead in eight games (14.8%) and continued losing in seven games (13.0%).
    • Opposing teams were seven times more likely to fumble on the very next play, or 7% of the time."
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I bet they could, but it (kinda) works!  There were articles about this last year (Does New Data Show that 'Renegade' Gives the Steelers a Statistical Advantage in the 4th Quarter? (steelernation.com).
    "According to the researchers at Point Park University [my alma mater!], AFTER Renegade is played:

• The Steelers maintained a lead in 33 games (61.1%) and came from behind to win or tie in six games (11.1%); they lost the lead in eight games (14.8%) and continued losing in seven games (13.0%).
    • Opposing teams were seven times more likely to fumble on the very next play, or 7% of the time."

Hmm interesting.  So if one was to use "Come Sail Away," "Fooling Yourself" or "Lady" I wonder how that would go.
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
  • Options

Hmm interesting.  So if one was to use "Come Sail Away," "Fooling Yourself" or "Lady" I wonder how that would go.
    Styx fucking sucks.  I mean Renegade is fine.  Blue Collar Man is fine.  But that's it.  Other than that, they are typical of the 70s generic arena rock I hate.  Boston, Styx, Kansas, Foreigner... blah.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Styx fucking sucks.  I mean Renegade is fine.  Blue Collar Man is fine.  But that's it.  Other than that, they are typical of the 70s generic arena rock I hate.  Boston, Styx, Kansas, Foreigner... blah.  
    I don’t know if I would even say Renegade is fine.
  • Options
    Billy Madison would likely disagree haha.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,681
    Thanks. I’ve had that fucking song stuck in my head for days.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,834
    Time to update those rankings Wob
  • Options
    Dak gonna Dak.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,834
    Dak gonna Dak.
    Lol it's hilarious. Like a great game until the very end, it's great. 
  • Options
    Dak gonna Dak.
    Lol it's hilarious. Like a great game until the very end, it's great. 
    My kid was going crazy as Birds tried to give Dallas a score at the end and I kept saying "it's Dak, don't worry."
    The guy IS hilarious.  Very dependable when the chips are down.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Thanks. I’ve had that fucking song stuck in my head for days.
    That must have been hell.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,768
    Yes Styx sux. I saw them live. Unfortunately. 
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

Last few Jets and Giants coaches, last years Broncos coach. Whomever coached Washington last year and any Browns coach the past few years.

Oh and Saturday coaching the colts.
  • Options
    Anybody see the speed on Cook when he got pitched that fumble from Edwards?
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,598
    Poncier said:

Rod Rust
    Dick MacPherson.
    The 2 Mikes and a Jim. Nolan, Singletary and Tomsula. Dark times in San Francisco. 
  • Options

Last few Jets and Giants coaches, last years Broncos coach. Whomever coached Washington last year and any Browns coach the past few years.

You think Stefanski is worse? He had a winning record with pretty much backup qbs. Mayfield,  Brissett, Dobbs, Walker. Give me a break. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

You think Stefanski is worse? He had a winning record with pretty much backup qbs. Mayfield,  Brissett, Dobbs, Walker. Give me a break. 
    Poncier said:

Rod Rust
    Dick MacPherson.
    The 2 Mikes and a Jim. Nolan, Singletary and Tomsula. Dark times in San Francisco. 
    I think @tempo_n_groove and @JeBurkhardt that you guys are missing just how disastrous the job Meyer did was.
    Look past how he stunted the growth of a franchise qb
    Look past how he embarrassed the team by being a creeper and getting the strange dance from a woman in his own bar, where he obviously would be recognized/noticed
    Look past the fact that he is one of the all time great college head coaches who could not understand the difference between NCAA and NFL and mistreated his players (who are paid, who do not have to put up with being treated like scholarship dependent college kids did at that point)

Just look at his record before he was fired...2-11.  So...he didn't win.  He didn't treat his players as people.  He embarrassed the team with his personal actions.  He was screwing up the franchise QB.  

I think 2 Mikes and a Jim all sucked.  I actually mentioned Cave Man Tomsula in my initial post on this subject.  He was so far out of his element.  Both did a better all around job being NFL coaches than Fired Meyer.  

Last year's Broncos coach was bad.  Jets and Giants had bad coaches.  I dont see how any were more of a disaster to their teams than Meyer was.

Stefanski doesn't belong in that convo.  Also, Hugh Jackson was way better.  He was fucked over by the franchise.  He wasn't groping women in his bar.

Who knows....I guess it is subjective but I think Meyer is still in the Top 5 Worst NFL Head Coaches.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

Poncier said:

Rod Rust
    Dick MacPherson.
    I think @tempo_n_groove and @JeBurkhardt that you guys are missing just how disastrous the job Meyer did was.
    Look past how he stunted the growth of a franchise qb
    Look past how he embarrassed the team by being a creeper and getting the strange dance from a woman in his own bar, where he obviously would be recognized/noticed
    Look past the fact that he is one of the all time great college head coaches who could not understand the difference between NCAA and NFL and mistreated his players (who are paid, who do not have to put up with being treated like scholarship dependent college kids did at that point)

Just look at his record before he was fired...2-11.  So...he didn't win.  He didn't treat his players as people.  He embarrassed the team with his personal actions.  He was screwing up the franchise QB.  

I think 2 Mikes and a Jim all sucked.  I actually mentioned Cave Man Tomsula in my initial post on this subject.  He was so far out of his element.  Both did a better all around job being NFL coaches than Fired Meyer.  

Last year's Broncos coach was bad.  Jets and Giants had bad coaches.  I dont see how any were more of a disaster to their teams than Meyer was.

Stefanski doesn't belong in that convo.  Also, Hugh Jackson was way better.  He was fucked over by the franchise.  He wasn't groping women in his bar.

Who knows....I guess it is subjective but I think Meyer is still in the Top 5 Worst NFL Head Coaches.

mrussel1 said:

No I don't, I thought it said "just as worse".

Meyer was really bad. I just like naming coaches that are horrible too, lol.

McAdoo for the Giants LOST the whole locker room.  That is bad. He had 2 years to ruin that one.

Didn't meyer kick someone in the ass?  If that is even true how come he was still walking after it?
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,768
    I can't remember a more disgraceful coaching job than Urban Meyer in my football watching lifetime.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,681
    Rams just signed the juggler’s favorite QB.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,538
    Wobbie said:
    Rams just signed the juggler’s favorite QB.
    Hop on board the Wentz Wagon Wobbie. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,189
    Wentz has moments where you think he's good...but he generally fucks it up
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,527
    edited November 2023
    he looks like Zuckerberg on juice
    Post edited by CROJAM95 on