The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,309
    Poncier said:

pjhawks said:

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

How is this exchange evidence that Brady intentionally wanted deflated footballs? Two equipment guys saying they are going to inflate the balls to 16 psi and higher "watermelons" cause they are pissed. Because Brady yelled at them after the October game cause the balls (which one says the ref gave back to them at almost 16 psi) were overinflated and he was unhappy with their work.
    Brady yells at equipment guys cause he plays a game with balls at 15-16psi when he likes them at low range, so therefore its cheating?

Haven't read the whole report yet, but this is a pretty poor example of evidence of cheating. Nowhere in these texts do they say Brady wanted them to underinflate balls, just imply that he wants them a certain way and clearly in the prior game at almost 16 psi that wasn't achieved. No mention of settings below 12.5.
    You can't be serious
    Humor me and show me the part of that exchange that proves rule breaking.
    boom there it is...
    I didn't say "its no big deal and everyone does it" as you expected above...I'm asking about this specific tweet Cliffy posted.
    re-read the text messages. 1st 5 lines of the text messages pretty clearly discuss it and Brady being aware of it being done.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

I think its fair to ask any and all questions at this point. I have many myself. I also think it it important to remember 28-0 in the second half of the AFC Championship game with properly inflated balls. Context to what we are talking about.

it's not just about this incident. they have fostered a culture defined by a complete lack of respect for the rules and the integrity of the game. Kraft, Bellichek and Brady should all be suspended. Bellichek should get a full year suspension seeing as how Sean Payton got afull year for bounties.
    You can't have it both ways. The report slams Brady. If you think he should be suspended because of it, fine. But the same report also exhonerates Kraft and Belichick. Calling for them to be suspended is just hatred talking.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Irrational hatred is the best basis for any NFL argument though. Hang them all by their toes and let Fave launch balls at hem. He is old but something tells me the cannon still works.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,399

Poncier said:

pjhawks said:

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

How is this exchange evidence that Brady intentionally wanted deflated footballs? Two equipment guys saying they are going to inflate the balls to 16 psi and higher "watermelons" cause they are pissed. Because Brady yelled at them after the October game cause the balls (which one says the ref gave back to them at almost 16 psi) were overinflated and he was unhappy with their work.
    Brady yells at equipment guys cause he plays a game with balls at 15-16psi when he likes them at low range, so therefore its cheating?

Haven't read the whole report yet, but this is a pretty poor example of evidence of cheating. Nowhere in these texts do they say Brady wanted them to underinflate balls, just imply that he wants them a certain way and clearly in the prior game at almost 16 psi that wasn't achieved. No mention of settings below 12.5.
    You can't be serious
    boom there it is...
    I didn't say "its no big deal and everyone does it" as you expected above...I'm asking about this specific tweet Cliffy posted.
    Tom Brady gives people "kicks" for deflating the balls to the juuuuuuuuuuust legal limit?
    Kick being shoes. Signed footballs too. Plenty of athletes give staff stuff.

But as for "just the legal limit"...well you are making assumptions...that was my point...no actual evidence, lots of maybes. I'm sure Brady wants the balls as low as he can get them. In fact the texts you posted refer to the Jets game where a couple were apparently sent to the refs below 12.5 and refs pumped them to nearly 16, which led Brady to get pissed at these guys.

You used that tweet as your illustration like it was a smoking gun, it isn't.

Gonna be fun when the NFL's showcase Thursday opener has no Brady and no Bell in it

Now every QB in the league is now going to have the Colts to thank when new rules are implemented and they won't be able to prep their footballs.

The Pats at Indy game will be a hoot this season. People have accused Belichick of running up the score in the past...he'll definitely do it in this game if the opportunity arises. Colts should have drafted defense.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    cdysinge said:

Irrational hatred is the best basis for any NFL argument though. Hang them all by their toes and let Fave launch balls at hem. He is old but something tells me the cannon still works.

Anybody who doesn't want to get hit just wear a Packer uniform.
  • Options
    Oh and Shannon Sharpe is a moron. Old news I know.
  • Options
    The same research firm used by the tobacco industry to "prove" smoking doesn't cause cancer was used by Ted Wells here?

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    Brady was bribing team employees to cheat. Let that sink in for a bit. The greatest of all fucking time. What a goddamn joke.
    Poncier said:

Poncier said:

pjhawks said:

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

You can't be serious
    boom there it is...
    Tom Brady gives people "kicks" for deflating the balls to the juuuuuuuuuuust legal limit?

But as for "just the legal limit"...well you are making assumptions...that was my point...no actual evidence, lots of maybes. I'm sure Brady wants the balls as low as he can get them. In fact the texts you posted refer to the Jets game where a couple were apparently sent to the refs below 12.5 and refs pumped them to nearly 16, which led Brady to get pissed at these guys.

Gonna be fun when the NFL's showcase Thursday opener has no Brady and no Bell in it

Now every QB in the league is now going to have the Colts to thank when new rules are implemented and they won't be able to prep their footballs.

The Pats at Indy game will be a hoot this season. People have accused Belichick of running up the score in the past...he'll definitely do it in this game if the opportunity arises. Colts should have drafted defense.

Why was brady claiming to know nothing about ball pressure then?

Come on. This couldn't be more obvious. He is as guilty as Roger clemens was
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Poncier said:

Poncier said:

pjhawks said:

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

You can't be serious
    boom there it is...

That's assuming that indy won't run up the score on NE. They have a pretty damn good offense too.
  • Options

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

pjhawks said:

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

You can't be serious
    boom there it is...

That's assuming that indy won't run up the score on NE. They have a pretty damn good offense too.
    Which is why I said "if the opportunity arises". Colts haven't been competitive with the Pats in the Luck era so far. We'll see, but NBC must be loving it.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Brady was bribing team employees to cheat. Let that sink in for a bit. The greatest of all fucking time. What a goddamn joke.

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

pjhawks said:

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

You can't be serious
    boom there it is...

Why was brady claiming to know nothing about ball pressure then?

Come on. This couldn't be more obvious. He is as guilty as Roger clemens was
    How does anyone become the greatest....Jerry Rice, the greatest receiver of all time admitted cheating.
  • Options
    Wayne gretzky? Vince lombardi? undefeated dolphins? Johnny unitas? Barry sanders?
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    MayDay10 said:

Wayne gretzky? Vince lombardi? undefeated dolphins? Johnny unitas? Barry sanders?

Joe Montana.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Poncier said:

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

pjhawks said:

Poncier said:

Poncier said:

You can't be serious
    boom there it is...

Which is why I said "if the opportunity arises". Colts haven't been competitive with the Pats in the Luck era so far. We'll see, but NBC must be loving it.
    I know. Just wishful thinking.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,309
    JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

I think its fair to ask any and all questions at this point. I have many myself. I also think it it important to remember 28-0 in the second half of the AFC Championship game with properly inflated balls. Context to what we are talking about.

it's not just about this incident. they have fostered a culture defined by a complete lack of respect for the rules and the integrity of the game. Kraft, Bellichek and Brady should all be suspended. Bellichek should get a full year suspension seeing as how Sean Payton got afull year for bounties.
    You can't have it both ways. The report slams Brady. If you think he should be suspended because of it, fine. But the same report also exhonerates Kraft and Belichick. Calling for them to be suspended is just hatred talking.

Ritchie Mackay was suspended by the league even though he didn't know the Falcons were piping in crowd noise. Sean Payton was suspended by the league even though he wasn't directly involved in the bounties. there is precedent here. besides they should be suspended for allowing their organization have a complete utter lack of respect for the integrity of the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

Ritchie Mackay was suspended by the league even though he didn't know the Falcons were piping in crowd noise. Sean Payton was suspended by the league even though he wasn't directly involved in the bounties. there is precedent here. besides they should be suspended for allowing their organization have a complete utter lack of respect for the integrity of the game.
    Ritch McKay was suspended from the competition committee, not the league, and only after the competition committee was done with its work for the year. That isn't much of an example. Sean Payton's suspension was a travesty. A mistake to be learned from, not one to be repeated.

Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    This guy's take is a fascinating read, particularly his questions about the data and the use of Exponent outlined below. Not trying to argue he doesn't have his biases - he is a Pats blogger after all - but it is an interesting read.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/5/6/8563271/deflategate-faulty-science-reason-work-in-the-wells-report

Ted Wells hired a consulting group that used to be called The Failure Group, Inc. They are now called Exponent. And they have a track record of harmful disregard of the truth in favor of pursuing the bottom line. They have claimed in the past that smoking doesn't cause cancer, that Chevron dumping oil waste didn't cause cancer (while the largest shareholder of Chevron was on Exponent's board), and that asbestos doesn't cause mesothelioma or cancer.

They are generally the first group called when a mega-entity is in need of a science experiment. Back in 2010, the L.A. Times published an article that stated, "Exponent's research has come under fire from critics, including engineers, attorneys and academics who say the company tends to deliver to clients the reports they need to mount a public defense."

So when Exponent produces a statistical study with a weak backing in statistics, it only weakens the claims made in the report. The findings are exactly what the NFL needed if they wanted to further bury the Patriots, even though other smarter entities have found that there is scientific backing in the pressure of New England's footballs.

The entire report drips with the desire to capture the Patriots in the middle of wrong-doing, even though there isn't an explicit example of Tom Brady being involved. All Wells had to do was prove that it was "more probable than not" that the Patriots were in violation- and when he gets to create his own evidence for submission, then that conclusion is all too easy to come by.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    edited May 2015
    Why in the fuck would the nfl want to bury the Super bowl champs and the leagues golden boy.
  • Options
    Makes zero sense.

The nfl would have preferred damage control and to sweep it under the rug 2 weeks before the superbowl. Just like they did with spygate.

The nfl out to get the patriots. LOL
  • Options

Why in the fuck would the nfl want to bury the Super bowl champs and the leagues golden boy.

I don't know the answer to that, other than that when it comes to the league office there is no monolithic NFL. Instead there are countless vice presidents each with their own little fiefdom. Why was so much incorrect information leaked back in January, and by who? Mortensen's report of 11/12 footballs being 2psi below the limit blew this story up more than anything and it turns out to not be true. Grigson notified the league before the game of his concerns, information that was passed to Dean Blandino. Blandino has apparently lied about that in multiple interviews. Why? A lot of this doesn't make sense.

I'm not arguing that there is no violation on the part of the Patriots. That isn't my point. I am saying that we all watch this league closely and we have seen it be slimy numerous times in the past. We should be hesitant to assume this time is any different. The Patriots are an unpopular and easy target with a history. But this league office has its own history and it isn't good. We shouldn't forget that just because the Pats are disliked.

• Options
    Assuming the NFL, which has to this point been incompetent at every turn, is suddenly completely correct and on point because a result was returned that we like also makes zero sense.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,127

• Options
    Mr. Mac & Cheese is one of Good & Plenty's biggest supporters and main confidant.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    By the way, Mr. Kraft's daughter (grand daughter?) is strikingly beautiful!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    Jason P said:

ha. I think it's his girlfriend.
  • Options
    I don't know why the league would want to bury the Patriots. My guess would be petty vendettas against Belichick. But based on what Wells reported it does seem like it intentionally did just that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/06/report-confirms-nfl-had-chance-to-avoid-deflategate/

The Ted Wells report insists, at footnote 25 on page 46, that the NFL did not launch a “sting” operation against the Patriots. But that’s not the impression the body of the report creates.

Regardless of what the effort is labeled, the Wells report confirms that someone wanted to catch the Patriots in the act.

The Wells report explains that Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson sent an email to the league office raising concerns about air pressure in Patriots football. Attached to the Grigson email was a message from Colts Equipment Manager Sean Sullivan, who said “it is well known around the league that after the Patriots gameballs [sic] are checked by the officials and brought out for game usage the ballboys [sic] for the patriots [sic] will let out some air with a ball needle because their quarterback likes a smaller football so he can grip it better, it would be great if someone would be able to check the air in the game balls as the game goes on so that they don’t get an illegal advantage.” (Emphasis added.)

Grigson’s email and Sullivan’s message went to David Gardi and Mike Kensil, members of the NFL Football Operations Department. Gardi responded to Grigson by explaining that Kensil would be at the game, and that he would speak to the game officials about the concern.

Kensil then sent the email to three other high-level league employees: James Daniel, Dean Blandino, and Alberto Riveron. Blandino and Riverson said they would raise the issue with referee Walt Anderson.

The Wells report does not explain that anyone informed the Patriots of suspected irregularities with the footballs or of any intent to keep an eye out for problems. As one league source with no connection to the present controversy explained it to PFT in January, past Commissioners like Paul Tagliabue would have informed the Patriots of the situation — and warned them that the NFL is paying attention, that the league reserves the right to check the air pressure in the footballs during the game, and that any funny business would be met with a decidedly unfunny reaction from the league office.

Instead, whether it’s called a sting or something else, a trap was set for the Patriots.

• Options

Jason P said:

It is his girlfriend
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Jason P said:

It is his girlfriend
    And well done, Mr. Kraft. Also, he doesn't own Kraft foods or Kraft macaroni and cheese.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

Poncier said:

Jason P said:

It is his girlfriend
    And well done, Mr. Kraft. Also, he doesn't own Kraft foods or Kraft macaroni and cheese.

That is good to know. In the past I've felt like a piece of my soul was shrinking away while making me some mac & cheese, thinking that a part of the profits were going to the owner of the Pats. Now I can eat that heart clogging fake colored crap with impunity.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Vince lombardi? undefeated dolphins?
    Come on, really?

I'll just start with Lombardi...
    http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/01/22/pop-warner-knute-rockne-vince-lombardi-bill-belichick/
    "Even the man who gave his name to the trophy Belichick chases a week from Sunday regarded rules as hurdles to overcome rather than insurmountable barriers. A read of David Maraniss’s When Pride Still Mattered imparts that Vince Lombardi provided favoritism to on-the-cusp-of-eligibility athletes in his high school classroom who also played on his football field; he served as an assistant at West Point during the infamous national scandal that saw 37 cheating football-playing cadets expelled; and as head coach of the Green Bay Packers, he capitalized on a surreptitiously-obtained Detroit Lions defensive game plan only to end up losing the 1962 Thanksgiving contest. If “Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing” still leaves doubt about Lombardi’s ends-justify-the-means ethics, then knowledge that he took the line from UCLA’s Red Sanders should help to fully persuade."

And those Dolphins were docked a first round pick for tampering with Shula to get him while he was coaching the Colts. (And very likely had steroid users on the team as it was rampant in the 70's NFL, just ask those mighty Steeler teams).

Do some research and you'll find some stuff on Gretzky, Unitas and Sanders as well most likely.I