Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999
    pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

I also love the fact that Tom Brady is too busy to meet the president and to read this report that claims to incriminate him and tarnish his legacy... but he can wine and dine at the Kentucky Derby.

this whole thing is fucking ridiculous. deflating footballs? who cares? there were studies done during the nonsense leading up to the super bowl that it actually does more harm than good due to a decrease in velocity. aaron rogers overinflates his. the vikings were were caught keeping their balls too close to heaters last year. ooooooh! if the nfl really thought this was a big issue, they wouldn't allow teams to handle their own balls in the first place. plus if they were tipped off before the championship game and did nothing...then.....what the fuck? why let it happen? haha. whole thing is nonsense.

you just get the impression that this has always been one of those wink and nod rules for decades. always been a non issue until now. it was a convenient story to keep the nfl in the news in the first week leading up the super bowl and now the report conveniently comes out during the only other dead nfl time of the year.

they'll lose a draft pick and pay a fine (like the falcons had to as a result of their investigation, which nobody cares about--and what they did had a much bigger effect on games imo) and the nfl will change their ball handling policy, thus infuriating quarterbacks all over the league.

fucking. stupid.
    while I agree that actual deflated footballs isn't a big issue but you can't tell me that the marquee team in the league having a complete and utter lack of integrity isn't a big issue. those fuckers constantly bend and break the rules and don't give two fucks about it. they are cheating scumbags and fucking bald face liers. kraft, bellicheck and brady need to be suspended. enough of their bullshit.
    As I pointed out earlier, if you want Brady suspended for this, fine. But the same report that everyone is pointing to as evidence also exonerates Belichick and Kraft. Calling for their suspension is just bald-faced hatred, nothing more.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,630
    Institutional Control. Its why Sean Payton was suspended. Last time the Patriots were caught cheating the entire organization took penalties too.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Institutional Control. Its why Sean Payton was suspended. Last time the Patriots were caught cheating the entire organization took penalties too.

And Sean Payton's suspension was a travesty. Not sure that is something anyone should want to see repeated.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    MayDay10 said:

The team will get some penalty, likely a hefty fine as Shemp and Curley Joe DeRita were in their employ, but Belichick is not getting suspended.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    no, I doubt it.

My guess is Brady 2 games, fine for the team, and loss of maybe a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Most of it for the aftermath and the way they went about it. The NFL does not like losing control over situations like this.
  • Options
    I doubt they lose a draft pick that high. If they lose a pick (and that's a big if) it'll be 5th round or lower.

The NFL doesn't like losing control, but as per usual they bungled the whole thing.
  • Options
    The NFL lost control of this situation the second Bob Kravitz got the “Call me now..Very important!!!!” text message from his "anonymous source". And if not then, absolutely the next day when someone in the league office leaked erroneous information to Chris Mortensen that 11 of 12 Patriots balls were 2psi below 12.5. Everything after that report was chaos.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I don't think Brady will be suspended. The main evidence is from a couple of guys that don't like brady. The best thing the NFL can do here is simply take control of the balls away from the teams. Controversy over. The people that hate the patriots are still going to hate them. Even if you suspended brady/belichick/kraft for an entire season. So I don't think it matters.

But the way Belichick embarrassed the league over 4 cameras added on the goal lines a couple months ago may come into play here. Goodell just may be scheming a way to fuck the Pats.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,302
    JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

I also love the fact that Tom Brady is too busy to meet the president and to read this report that claims to incriminate him and tarnish his legacy... but he can wine and dine at the Kentucky Derby.

this whole thing is fucking ridiculous. deflating footballs? who cares? there were studies done during the nonsense leading up to the super bowl that it actually does more harm than good due to a decrease in velocity. aaron rogers overinflates his. the vikings were were caught keeping their balls too close to heaters last year. ooooooh! if the nfl really thought this was a big issue, they wouldn't allow teams to handle their own balls in the first place. plus if they were tipped off before the championship game and did nothing...then.....what the fuck? why let it happen? haha. whole thing is nonsense.

you just get the impression that this has always been one of those wink and nod rules for decades. always been a non issue until now. it was a convenient story to keep the nfl in the news in the first week leading up the super bowl and now the report conveniently comes out during the only other dead nfl time of the year.

they'll lose a draft pick and pay a fine (like the falcons had to as a result of their investigation, which nobody cares about--and what they did had a much bigger effect on games imo) and the nfl will change their ball handling policy, thus infuriating quarterbacks all over the league.

fucking. stupid.
    while I agree that actual deflated footballs isn't a big issue but you can't tell me that the marquee team in the league having a complete and utter lack of integrity isn't a big issue. those fuckers constantly bend and break the rules and don't give two fucks about it. they are cheating scumbags and fucking bald face liers. kraft, bellicheck and brady need to be suspended. enough of their bullshit.
    As I pointed out earlier, if you want Brady suspended for this, fine. But the same report that everyone is pointing to as evidence also exonerates Belichick and Kraft. Calling for their suspension is just bald-faced hatred, nothing more.

Kraft showed a lack of respect for the league with his initial comments about the situation and then further disrespected the league with his comments the other day by basically saying the report is wrong. and bellichick defies the league on a weekly basis and shows a lack of respect for the authority of the league. lack of institutional control over the franchise that those 2 head. suspend them.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

fucking. stupid.

Kraft showed a lack of respect for the league with his initial comments about the situation and then further disrespected the league with his comments the other day by basically saying the report is wrong. and bellichick defies the league on a weekly basis and shows a lack of respect for the authority of the league. lack of institutional control over the franchise that those 2 head. suspend them.
    So it is about a lack of respect for the league? The same league that has been in the wrong on every major decision it has made since Roger Goodell took office, from concussions to domestic violence, has been been treated with disrespect? I wouldn't waste a single breath defending the honor of the NFL and I love football.

Suspending Kraft and/or Belichick would be both an overreach and a blatant attempt by Roger Goodell to earn favor with other franchises.

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    JimmyV said:

MayDay10 said:

And Sean Payton's suspension was a travesty. Not sure that is something anyone should want to see repeated.

Yep. Don't think Belichick should be suspended, but a Brady suspension and loss of a draft pick seems fair to me.
  • Options

JimmyV said:

MayDay10 said:

Yep. Don't think Belichick should be suspended, but a Brady suspension and loss of a draft pick seems fair to me.
    Seems fair for a suspension AND a lost draft pick? For what? Being a liar? Deflating footballs to 11.5psi instead of 12.5psi? That seems harsh to me. I'm not a pats fan at all, but I think that's to much.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    People want Brady suspended for lengthy amounts of time because they hate Brady, not because there is anything here that warrants it. 4 games, reduced to two on appeal. That is the absolute MAX. Anything more is ridiculous pandering and Goodell getting it wrong...again.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    JimmyV said:

People want Brady suspended for lengthy amounts of time because they hate Brady, not because there is anything here that warrants it. 4 games, reduced to two on appeal. That is the absolute MAX. Anything more is ridiculous pandering and Goodell getting it wrong...again.

They don't reduce nfl penalties do they? Goodell hears appeals still, doesn't he? I'm not sure any suspension is warranted. There's still no actual evidence that could convict Brady in a court. I know Goodell doesn't need that. Any suspension to me is a witch hunt.
  • Options

JimmyV said:

MayDay10 said:

Seems fair for a suspension AND a lost draft pick? For what? Being a liar? Deflating footballs to 11.5psi instead of 12.5psi? That seems harsh to me. I'm not a pats fan at all, but I think that's to much.
    Because they cheated the system and snuck a guy in with a needle to deflate them after inspection. Then lied about it and embarrassed the league. Its much different than pushing the limit and hoping they slip past inspection. Brady seems to have bribed 2 guys to make sure it happens for him.

I also believe the NFL likely gave the Patriots a pretty stern warning when they destroyed all the Spygate materials. Without that whole thing, this issue is much less of an issue.

I think smart odds say its 4 games, reduced to 2 and a draft pick and some sort of fine that amounts to a parking ticket to a guy like Kraft. They suspend guys for weed
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    JimmyV said:

Very true. That being said, 8 games minimum!
    :rofl:
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,302
    JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

fucking. stupid.

So it is about a lack of respect for the league? The same league that has been in the wrong on every major decision it has made since Roger Goodell took office, from concussions to domestic violence, has been been treated with disrespect? I wouldn't waste a single breath defending the honor of the NFL and I love football.

Suspending Kraft and/or Belichick would be both an overreach and a blatant attempt by Roger Goodell to earn favor with other franchises.

yes. your boss(es) can disrespect you but you can't expect to disrespect them without consequences can you? it's the same premise. these guys skirt the line and go over the line on so many rules and even after being disciplined once before the pattern continues. harsh penalties for the franchise and it's leaders is called for because if not now then they will continue to break rules and not give a damn. it's been over a decade now and these guys are still breaking rules. it has to stop. I'd fine Kraft a million dollars and suspend him and Bellichick for 8 games. Brady for 4.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited May 2015
    Christ, Dante Fowler carted off at Jags practice. Injuries suck.

Just saw the video, he gone.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

JimmyV said:

They don't reduce nfl penalties do they? Goodell hears appeals still, doesn't he? I'm not sure any suspension is warranted. There's still no actual evidence that could convict Brady in a court. I know Goodell doesn't need that. Any suspension to me is a witch hunt.
    First you have to classify it as on the field or off the field infraction. They have different processes. Goodell will use same argument as Bountygate to get it classified as off which is his purview. On the field goes through a committee of a couple of ex players. Merton Hanks was on it last season.

Off the field he gave up the right to hear appeals as part of the Rice scandal. It now goes to an independent arbitrator for the final appeal. She is the one who reduced Rice's suspension.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

JimmyV said:

pjhawks said:

MayDay10 said:

fucking. stupid.

yes. your boss(es) can disrespect you but you can't expect to disrespect them without consequences can you? it's the same premise. these guys skirt the line and go over the line on so many rules and even after being disciplined once before the pattern continues. harsh penalties for the franchise and it's leaders is called for because if not now then they will continue to break rules and not give a damn. it's been over a decade now and these guys are still breaking rules. it has to stop. I'd fine Kraft a million dollars and suspend him and Bellichick for 8 games. Brady for 4.
    A million dollars? Eight game suspensions for the coach and owner both exonerated by the report? While the guy who actually might have done something gets less? This doesn't even make sense.

• Options
    JK_Livin said:

Some question as to whether the 11 on 11 drills they were running are legal at this stage of the off season.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

JK_Livin said:

Some question as to whether the 11 on 11 drills they were running are legal at this stage of the off season.

They should fine the team a million dollars, suspend the coach and owner 8 games each and suspend Fowler for 4 games.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

JimmyV said:

JK_Livin said:

They should fine the team a million dollars, suspend the coach and owner 8 games each and suspend Fowler for 4 games.
    Only after investigating for 104 days. Because integrity.

• Options
    why is it illegal?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

why is it illegal?

There are specific rules for what can and cannot be done during different stages of off season activity. It is mapped out in the CBA. I don't know if this definitely was a violation, I just have read that it is being questioned.

• Options
    i havent seen that at all. Even after scouring the google machine. As far as I know, 11 on 11 drills are legit in rookie minicamp
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    so he hasnt signed yet. I wonder what happens. Looks like torn ACL
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

i havent seen that at all. Even after scouring the google machine. As far as I know, 11 on 11 drills are legit in rookie minicamp

"Live blocking" is the issue. Again, this is just reporters questioning.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    it was really a non-contact injury. The guy didnt/barely touch him. he tried to cut and his leg gave out. The drill wasnt close to full contact.

And if they did break the rules the NFLPA will be on them like flies on shit
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Found this interesting. The NFL's integrity of game policy, which Goodell will most likely use to punish Brady, contains rules about confidentiality and demands leaks be investigated. Somehow I doubt anyone will ever look into who was talking to Chris Mortensen or Jay Glazer or Bob Kravitz, etc.