Options

Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

Comments

• Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    For anyone that has seen Mark solo, and particularly on this tour... how long does he perform for?

Judging by the setlist from the American shows i'd say about 90mins. It was about that for the Bubblegum and the solo acoustic tour.
  • Options
    runchaser wrote:
    Got tickets for Leeds 10th March, my Wife and I can't wait, have seen him with Soulsavers, solo accoustic and with Isobel Campbell. All three times he's been amazing but this is the gig that's got me stoked especially with this fucking awesome new album out there!

Enjoy ....going to Brum counting down the days .....Album is still glued to my turntable.

Had it on today again, my turntable went it for repair but came back today, it just flows so well, I feel sorry for those who can't enjoy Ode To Sad Disco, it seems to be the track that splits most but I think it's awesome a brave and brilliant move from Mark, 2 weeks today and counting.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dcfaithful wrote:
    For anyone that has seen Mark solo, and particularly on this tour... how long does he perform for?

Judging by the setlist from the American shows i'd say about 90mins. It was about that for the Bubblegum and the solo acoustic tour.

Cool, thanks DT.

Like I told my girlfriend, it won't change my mind about going... but 90 minutes is about what I expected his performances to be.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    am really looking forward to seeing him in melbourne.... he's playing the most amazing venue
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtiVfsJj ... re=related

Thought this would be enjoyed here. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    dcfaithful wrote:

:thumbup:

nice one, The Dave. :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Ode. To. Sad. Disco. Repeat.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    RYEzupSF wrote:

You ain't lyin, that song is addicting.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    dcfaithful wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

i think my neighbor knows the whole song by heart b/c i've played it so much :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

:D Certainly my favourite from the new album.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kl0iijl410ldjc3

A download link to a small show organised by a belgium radio station. Great quality.

The website: http://www.stubru.be/programmas/club69/ ... aninclub69
  • Options
    Great, great article. Mark Lanegan shares his "baker's dozen", or 13 all-time favorite albums. I'd really be interested to see his collection.

A handful of these artists I haven't heard about, but I am making it a goal to acquire all of these albums (even the ones I am familiar with) and give them all some attentive listens after seeing them on this list.

It's safe to say for me that in the past month, I have gained a huge amount of respect for Lanegan as an artist/musician and he's definitely my current standing favorite. I can't stop listening to his entire catalog.

Article is here, thanks to GrungeReport.net for providing this: http://thequietus.com/articles/07817-ma ... zen?page=1
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Webster Hall - - - NYC. Of course I'm going!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    mfc2006 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    RYEzupSF wrote:

I couldn't tell you how many times I have listened to that damn song. Fantastic doesn't even begin to explain how great that song is.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    JK109224JK109224 Posts: 564
    Haven't stopped spinning this for a month. Absolutely sublime.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    This guy gets a lot of love on here. Gonna have to check him out!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Awesome cover with Lanegan sharing vocal duties :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMs-6nnlX74

I've forgotten how good this album is.
  • Options
    JK109224 wrote:
    Haven't stopped spinning this for a month. Absolutely sublime.

You've got that right. This album has been consistently playing in my house, car, and my desk at work.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    samjam wrote:

You will be doing yourself a tremendous favor.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    samjam wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing. Never heard of the guy, I guess I will have to check out this album. Who would everyone compare his sound to?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    GTHobbesGTHobbes Posts: 128
    dcfaithful wrote:
    samjam wrote:

Amen on that. I love Pearl Jam, but ML is right up there with them in my book. As for a comparison, I've seen others compare him to Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen but in my mind, and no disrespect to either of those guys, there really is nobody that compares to ML. If you start with his most recent album, be sure to also include the song Burning Jacobs Ladder, which is sold as a b-side to the Gravediggers Song on ITunes. Great stuff.
  • Options
    GTHobbes wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    samjam wrote:

Amen on that. I love Pearl Jam, but ML is right up there with them in my book. As for a comparison, I've seen others compare him to Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen but in my mind, and no disrespect to either of those guys, there really is nobody that compares to ML. If you start with his most recent album, be sure to also include the song Burning Jacobs Ladder, which is sold as a b-side to the Gravediggers Song on ITunes. Great stuff.
    will do - thank you
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    GTHobbes wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    samjam wrote:

Yeah, I honestly can't compare Mark Lanegan to anyone else. I think he is such a unique creator of music, and he has such a particular vision when he makes a record.

LukinFan, you should know that he was the singer of Screaming Trees throughout their career, until they disbanded in 2000. They're one of the earlier grunge bands, and in my mind have some pretty good stuff. However, I recently heard in an interview with Mark that he said he wasn't satisfied with the Trees' sound until their second to last album, Sweet Oblivion. He said that at that point he felt the songs finally had a natural feel to them, and that in terms of songwriting that is where he had always wanted the band to be. I would advise researching the things he has collaborated on, as it will give you a great idea of how diverse he is and how capable he is of working outside of any particular box.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

LukinFan, you should know that he was the singer of Screaming Trees throughout their career, until they disbanded in 2000. They're one of the earlier grunge bands, and in my mind have some pretty good stuff. However, I recently heard in an interview with Mark that he said he wasn't satisfied with the Trees' sound until their second to last album, Sweet Oblivion. He said that at that point he felt the songs finally had a natural feel to them, and that in terms of songwriting that is where he had always wanted the band to be. I would advise researching the things he has collaborated on, as it will give you a great idea of how diverse he is and how capable he is of working outside of any particular box.
    Very cool - thanks DC! I'm downloading Blues Funeral now and I'm going to give it a shot. Honestly, I've never given the Trees a chance
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I can't wait to see him in Bristol tomorrow night!
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    GTHobbesGTHobbes Posts: 128
    dcfaithful wrote:
    GTHobbes wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yeah, I honestly can't compare Mark Lanegan to anyone else. I think he is such a unique creator of music, and he has such a particular vision when he makes a record.

Best I can think of is a grunge Johnny Cash -- kind've fits in my mind, anyways.

I was surprised to see his comments about his work with the Trees -- wondering if it's a case of him just being humble, because there's some really great stuff on albums that came before and after Sweet Oblivion. I also happen to think Last Words is awesome -- so glad they finally saw fit to release that one after all these years, and that at least Crawlspace has made its way into the setlists.
  • Options
    GTHobbes wrote:

Best I can think of is a grunge Johnny Cash -- kind've fits in my mind, anyways.

I was surprised to see his comments about his work with the Trees -- wondering if it's a case of him just being humble, because there's some really great stuff on albums that came before and after Sweet Oblivion. I also happen to think Last Words is awesome -- so glad they finally saw fit to release that one after all these years, and that at least Crawlspace has made its way into the setlists.

That's funny that you say Johnny Cash, because I've always kind of thought of Mark Lanegan as having a Cash-like feel, but with a bit more of an eclectic bank of inspiration. But, that might just be my error of judgment as I am not to seasoned with Johnny Cash.

I was surprised to hear his comments about the Trees too, but when I heard his explanation, I could see his point on the development of their sound from before Sweet Oblivion and after, although I also do think so much of their stuff, including the earlier records, have great music on them.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    thought id give the album a few listens before i posted

love it , gravediggers song is my favourite track on the album, going to see him on saturday night in leeds :D
    manchester 00
    manchester 09
    belfast 2010
    hyde park 2010
    manchester 2012 1&2
    amsterdam 2012 1&2
    EV manchester 2012
    EV london 31/7/12
    brooklyn 2013 1&2
    milano,leeds,milton keynes 2014

monkey driven call this living
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300

A download link to a small show organised by a belgium radio station. Great quality.

Finally got around to listening to this - thanks for posting it, it's good to hear how the new songs sound live. I'm really happy that Crawlspace is getting played too, one of my favourite songs off Last Words.

Can't wait for the Sydney show next month!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:

Finally got around to listening to this - thanks for posting it, it's good to hear how the new songs sound live. I'm really happy that Crawlspace is getting played too, one of my favourite songs off Last Words.

You're welcome.

I see him tonight :D
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:

You're welcome.

I see him tonight :D

Kick ass, have a great time! :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL