Options

Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
edited May 2012 in Other Music
Amazon.com preview of new Mark Lanegan's album Blues Funeral.
February 6, 2012 is coming! :D
http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Funeral/dp/ ... 3&sr=301-1
Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
It's growing up just like me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    His voice is sounding as good as ever on these clips. Quite looking forward to hearing this properly and I hope he doesn't leave it so long next time....
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    His voice is sounding as good as ever on these clips. Quite looking forward to hearing this properly and I hope he doesn't leave it so long next time....

Mark has been very busy he just hasn't released a solo album in a while.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Can't wait for this!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:

I'm certainly not complaining about his work rate Dave. The Gutter Twins album and EP were great as was the majority of the Isobel Campbell material. I definately prefer his solo stuff though. Will have to miss out seeing him on tour this time I'm afraid... :(

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

I'm certainly not complaining about his work rate Dave. The Gutter Twins album and EP were great as was the majority of the Isobel Campbell material. I definately prefer his solo stuff though. Will have to miss out seeing him on tour this time I'm afraid... :(

:o :shock: :shock:

Gutted mate. I'm seeing him in Manchester on my birthday. Cannot wait :D
  • Options

Gutted mate. I'm seeing him in Manchester on my birthday. Cannot wait :D
    Excellent way to spend a birthday! Glasgow sold out pretty fast and I forgot tickets were going on sale until much too late. There's plenty overpriced tickets about but it means taking three days off to do anything from here and I'm reserving a day or three in case Tom Waits decides to come over this year... ;)

• Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    this sounds incredible
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    runchaserrunchaser Posts: 112
    Can't wait for this , seeing him live in Birmingham in March . Seems like he's quietly gone about his business and has amassed an amazing back catalogue.

Screaming Trees at Nottingham rock city in 96 is still the best gig iv'e seen.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300
    veddertown wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

Judging by the preview it's going to be worth the wait! I agree with you, I prefer Mark's solo stuff - although it was amazing to finally get 'Last Words' in 2011
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Counting the days for this, literally. Mark Lanegan is truly one of the greatest, and underrated musicians currently active. This is sure to be a fantastic addition to his catalog.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Counting the days for this, literally. Mark Lanegan is truly one of the greatest, and underrated musicians currently active. This is sure to be a fantastic addition to his catalog.

Very much agreed. I am anticipating Blues Funeral more than any album this year, and that includes Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. This man has never made a bad album, he's never even made a mediocre album.

I really wish I wouldn't have listened to the clips, but naturally I caved. Unsurprisingly it sounds fucking amazing. Yet another new direction to add to his collection of classics.

Also I loved Last Words, not sure why it didn't get more love, but I've always thought the Trees were one of the most underrated rock bands ever. Songs like Reflections, Black Rose Way, and Last Words (vintage Trees) can stand up to every other album they put out, IMO.
  • Options
    GTHobbesGTHobbes Posts: 128
    dcfaithful wrote:

Very much agreed. I am anticipating Blues Funeral more than any album this year, and that includes Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. This man has never made a bad album, he's never even made a mediocre album.

I really wish I wouldn't have listened to the clips, but naturally I caved. Unsurprisingly it sounds fucking amazing. Yet another new direction to add to his collection of classics.

Also I loved Last Words, not sure why it didn't get more love, but I've always thought the Trees were one of the most underrated rock bands ever. Songs like Reflections, Black Rose Way, and Last Words (vintage Trees) can stand up to every other album they put out, IMO.

Very well stated -- agree with all of this. Really hope 2012 sees Mark Lanegan hitting Atlanta -- he was supposed to have come a couple years ago and the show was cancelled. Either way, can't wait to hear the new one.
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

Agree with all of what you said, especially naturally caving. :lol:

I too think Last Words is great. I've been listening to it regularly since it was released. I'm really hoping Mark will get some US dates going, and even more so... something I can attend.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Some listening parties for our friends in the US and Canada:

http://www.onewhiskey.com/news.html
  • Options
    This album is fucking incredible. Surprised no one else has commented already. Bleeding Muddy Water ranks among some of his best work, IMO. He even made a disco song sound bad ass! Every song is great though in it's own right. The album itself is very dense and lyrically deep, you pick up something new every time you listen. This guy is a frigin genius....
  • Options
    Can't wait to hear this....waiting for the release, do I'm not listening to samples.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    This album is fucking incredible. Surprised no one else has commented already. Bleeding Muddy Water ranks among some of his best work, IMO. He even made a disco song sound bad ass! Every song is great though in it's own right. The album itself is very dense and lyrically deep, you pick up something new every time you listen. This guy is a frigin genius....

I'm on my first listen, Bleeding Muddy Water.........HOLY SHIT! Hairs on the back of your neck stuff. I've read nothing but good things about this record, no surprise really when you look at all the talent involved in making it.
  • Options
    The day Vedder and Lanegan work together i think it's going to be the apocalypsis
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Can't hear it until Feb. 7th.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
  • Options
    Juan Godoy wrote:
    The day Vedder and Lanegan work together i think it's going to be the apocalypsis

Agreed. Or Lanegan and Chris Cornell. :shock:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

Good for you for waiting dude, I give you a lot of credit! But the album's out there in case you cave like most everyone else has. Do buy the album though, folks, when it's released. Phantasmagoria Blues is worth the price of the album alone.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

same here.....but i may crack.... :?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

Good for you for waiting dude, I give you a lot of credit! But the album's out there in case you cave like most everyone else has. Do buy the album though, folks, when it's released. Phantasmagoria Blues is worth the price of the album alone.

Got mine pre-ordered today. :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    February 9th. I can't wait!!!
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Screaming Trees song with Mark Lanegan and Dave Rosser in 2010

Halo of Ashes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQMr5OX4p8Y

Shadow of the Season
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_IXyCo0d8Q

Traveler
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_42Qg0fsg4
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    GTHobbesGTHobbes Posts: 128
    It's killin' me but I'm waiting until the 7th also. In the meantime, I've been playing Gravedigger's Song and Burning Jacobs Ladder a ton and agree, the guy is a friggin' genius. Great, great stuff.
  • Options
    GTHobbes wrote:
    It's killin' me but I'm waiting until the 7th also. In the meantime, I've been playing Gravedigger's Song and Burning Jacobs Ladder a ton and agree, the guy is a friggin' genius. Great, great stuff.

Me too... I've been thinking about this record night and day... I can't wait.

Lanegan has really become my absolute favorite individual musician. I love his style, and the vibe some of his music puts off. I also like how he has completely succeeded in one of his goals when he started and that is to make records that have the feeling of the blues, but not traditional 12-bar blues because that is "boring, and outdated" as he puts it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZJbfgwBq6c

I would say that he has accomplished what he set out to do with establishing that "feeling."

I appreciate Lanegan's innovative nature and his versatility too. The music he has done between the Trees, his solo stuff, his material with Isobel, the Soulsavers, and his work with Dulli all expand into a territory of their own.

Mark Fuckin' Lanegan.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    The only good part about "The Hangover: Part 2" is Lanegan's song in the opening credits...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)