Options

Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

Comments

• Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I know it is very early in 2012 but seriously, if this doesn't get nods for an album of the year, there is no hope for mankind.

This would definitely be worth ordering on vinyl. 8-)

I didn't have any self control and I already downloaded the album and I've listened to it multiple times already, but I just got off the phone with the record store to make sure they have a copy on vinyl for me. Of course now I wish I would have waited to hear the vinyl first, but oh well :lol:

Yeah I called yesterday to be assured that my local store ordered some too. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Glad you finally got to listen, it's an amazing album for sure. A few of the songs, like Ode to Sad Disco, hit you off guard at first, but after a few listens they sink in and you really begin to appreciate how well done they are. Ode to Sad Disco in particular is gorgeous. While half of the album may be predominantly electronica, the guitar work overlaying the tracks is fantastic. I've been listening to Phantasmagoria Blues and Leviathan a lot lately...
  • Options
    Glad you finally got to listen, it's an amazing album for sure. A few of the songs, like Ode to Sad Disco, hit you off guard at first, but after a few listens they sink in and you really begin to appreciate how well done they are. Ode to Sad Disco in particular is gorgeous. While half of the album may be predominantly electronica, the guitar work overlaying the tracks is fantastic. I've been listening to Phantasmagoria Blues and Leviathan a lot lately...

Bleeding Muddy Water and St. Louis Elegy are my jams of the day right now. What a great fucking record!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Riot In My House and Ode to Sad Disco are the 2 stand outs for me right now. But every listen makes you hear another song in a different way and makes it better than the last listen.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Here is a new, fantastic little interview that just came out today: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/featur ... e_possible

It mentions the fact that he's finished recording an album with Duke Garwood. And it also thankfully mentions that him and Mike Johnson are still friends...thank goodness. I really hope they collaborate again someday....dude is an amazing guitarist and those two just mesh so well, kind of like Alain and Mark. Why not get all three involved?!
  • Options
    Preordered the album. Is Jack Irons on many tracks?
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300
    Here is a new, fantastic little interview that just came out today: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/featur ... e_possible

It mentions the fact that he's finished recording an album with Duke Garwood. And it also thankfully mentions that him and Mike Johnson are still friends...thank goodness. I really hope they collaborate again someday....dude is an amazing guitarist and those two just mesh so well, kind of like Alain and Mark. Why not get all three involved?!
    Cool interview, thanks for posting it. I'm looking forward to the album with Duke, whenever it gets released, and the fact that he said working working with Mike Johnson again 'would be fantastic' is great news!

I had the Blues Funeral stream playing all day in the office yesterday, it's a little after 9am and I'm already halfway through my first listen of the day. This album, and knowing that Neil and Crazy Horse are recording again, has already made my year!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options

First thought upon opening the link and before reading the interview was "Hey look, Mark is somewhat smiling..."

:lol: ... err, I mean... :|
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    I pick up something new everytime I listen to this album. I haven't been excited about an album after hearing it for a long time :thumbup:
  • Options
    Is Jack Irons on the whole album?
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options

No but I have no idea what tracks he plays on. There isn't anything with a Jack Irons signature on it to be honest.
  • Options

No but I have no idea what tracks he plays on. There isn't anything with a Jack Irons signature on it to be honest.

Yeah, I've been trying to pick up on it and I can't either. Waiting on the linear notes, I guess.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Ah man!! Thanks for letting me know.

Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    vinyl is in the post hopefully have it tomorrow or sat :D
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300

Just picked up the cd on my lunch break and I'm playing it right now! The store didn't have the vinyl so I'll just have to wait!

According to the liner notes, here's who plays what:

Mark Lanegan - vocals
    Alain Johannes - guitar, bass, keys, singing, percussion
    Jack Irons - drums

Aldo Struyf - keys on tracks 8 and 9. guitar and keys on track 12
    David Rosser - guitar on tracks 3 and 6
    Duke Garwood - guitar on tracks 2 and 12
    David Catching - guitar on tracks 2 and 11
    Martyn Noble - bass on tracks 7 and 9
    Chris Goss - guitar and singing on track 10
    Greg Dulli - singing on track 4
    Joshua Homme - guitar on track 5
    Shelley Brien - singing on track 8

Jack is the only drummer listed and as his name is with Mark and Alain's (separate from the others) it looks from this like he is playing on the whole album after all! :)

The store's price sticker describes the album as "Apocalyptic blues-rock 'n' howling country by this one-time member of QOTSA"!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:

Just picked up the cd on my lunch break and I'm playing it right now! The store didn't have the vinyl so I'll just have to wait!

Mark Lanegan - vocals
    Jack Irons - drums

Jack is the only drummer listed and as his name is with Mark and Alain's (separate from the others) it looks from this like he is playing on the whole album after all! :)

The store's price sticker describes the album as "Apocalyptic blues-rock 'n' howling country by this one-time member of QOTSA"!

He may be the only drummer but not every song uses a drum kit. There are a good few that uses a drum machine.
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:

Mark Lanegan - vocals
    Jack Irons - drums

He may be the only drummer but not every song uses a drum kit. There are a good few that uses a drum machine.

Yeah, there are definitely some drum machines used on the album. I believe the interview that was previously posted is where he mentions that too... or maybe he was talking about Bubblegum? I think he was...

Definitely some on Blues Funeral though.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yeah, there are definitely some drum machines used on the album. I believe the interview that was previously posted is where he mentions that too... or maybe he was talking about Bubblegum? I think he was...

Definitely some on Blues Funeral though.

Most of the album was written using drum machines and synths rather than a guitar like usual.
  • Options
    Can anyone here give a review of Mark Lanegan's Live At Leeds?

I really want to get it, but would like to hear about it first.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

Get it, it will blow your mind! I have both this and the Union CHapel CD's and although i prefered the show at Union Chapel with the Screaming Trees songs and the amazing venue, the leeds show came up better on tape plus its acoustic.

Its the album of Lanegan i listen to the most :)
    2009 - Shephards Bush, Manchester, London
    2010 - Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter
    2012 - Manchester 1+2, Berlin 1+2, Stockholm, Oslo
    2014 - Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Just ordered the vinyl :D
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I pre ordered the album on Thurs and it was shipped yeaterday. Can't wait to get it next week now as I streamed it too and it sounds great.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

Get it, it will blow your mind! I have both this and the Union CHapel CD's and although i prefered the show at Union Chapel with the Screaming Trees songs and the amazing venue, the leeds show came up better on tape plus its acoustic.

I saw him on that tour and it was incredible. Easily my favourite Lanegan show. Live in Leeds is a fantastic CD and it is an absolute must. Its just him and an acoustic guitar played by David Rosser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjiU4N2QTIg
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Pre ordered this,hope to be here Monday,have been listening to it streamed for the past few days.
    Mouthwatering how good it is
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    Pre ordered this weeks ago and stood strong against offers of copies until Thursday. A friend of mine sneaked it to me (he mislabelled the CD). Obviously I had to play it, again and again.
    Should have my official copy on Monday :D
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    dcfaithful wrote:

I saw him on that tour and it was incredible. Easily my favourite Lanegan show. Live in Leeds is a fantastic CD and it is an absolute must. Its just him and an acoustic guitar played by David Rosser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjiU4N2QTIg

A friend here ;) copied and sent me this album,it is unimaginably beautiful,I have had it in repeat until I was sent a link by the same friend :D to Blues Funeral stream.
    Now I am flitting between both.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    picked up the vinyl yesterday and giving it the first spin this morning

the vinyl is coloured, a darker grey with black splatter marks throughout, pretty sweet
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    smarchee wrote:

the vinyl is coloured, a darker grey with black splatter marks throughout, pretty sweet

Sounds nice (in more ways than one)
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    frazba wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

Sounds nice (in more ways than one)

The European version is supposed to be on green marbled vinyl. Can't wait to see what it looks like :)
  • Options
    Got a vinyl on hold at the record store for me. Damn, I can't wait to pick it up.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL