Options

Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

Comments

• Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,242
    The lovely green Euro version (too big a picture for the forum apparently so click link).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 4338_n.jpg
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    ilockyer wrote:
    The lovely green Euro version (too big a picture for the forum apparently so click link).

that is badass!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,242
    mfc2006 wrote:
    ilockyer wrote:

that is badass!!

It sounds very good too. I'm usually sceptical of coloured vinyl but I'm loving this.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    This is insane! A Mark Lanegan album getting all the usual plaudits and no doubt rightly so but still somehow this album just isn't doing it for me? There are some great songs as I expected but as an album it feels like it has no fluency and seems pretty disjointed in places. I usually fall for any album he appears on but this time something is missing? I'm going to lock it away for a few months and try again later... :(
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    Keep trying Gary, it'll get you in the end. So far it's a toss up between this and the Craig Finn one for album of the year (yes, I know, it's only February)
  • Options
    This really is a wonderful album. Can't wait to see him live in London next month.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    frazba wrote:
    Keep trying Gary, it'll get you in the end. So far it's a toss up between this and the Craig Finn one for album of the year (yes, I know, it's only February)

That Craig Finn release is awesome as well! :thumbup:

By the way, Pitchfork gave Blues Funeral a 5.6/10. They have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    frazba wrote:

By the way, Pitchfork gave Blues Funeral a 5.6/10. They have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.

I find pitchfork are very cliquey with their musical tastes. Its like NME in England. If it doesn't seem to fit a certain genre or 'cool' label then they don't care about it.
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    frazba wrote:

I find pitchfork are very cliquey with their musical tastes. Its like NME in England. If it doesn't seem to fit a certain genre or 'cool' label then they don't care about it.

Couldn't agree more. I generally ignore Pitchfork.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    frazba wrote:

Starting to really enjoy it now thanks Fraser! I was about to abandon it for a little while and come back to it but I'm glad I gave it another chance.... :)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Tour dates have been posted to Live Nation for US shows this May. So far NYC, Philly, Boston, and Denver shows have been posted. I'm def hitting up Philly. Hopefully more dates will follow 8-)
  • Options
    Just booked a second show on this tour in Hamburg :D:D:D
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    dcfaithful wrote:
    frazba wrote:

The only time I ever hear of Pitchfork is when a good album comes out and someone reports that Pitchfork gave it a very poor rating. This has happened numerous times. Perhaps that is somehow their marketing nitch ... they just write absurd reviews and people are drawn to them much like a car wreck on the side of a freeway.

Either that, or they are just a bunch of fucking idiots. 8-)
  • Options
    4 new US dates announced.

May 10, 2012- New York, NY- Webster Hall
    May 12, 2012- Philadelphia, PA- Theatre of Living Arts
    May 13, 2012- Boston, MA- Paradise Rock Club
    May 20, 2012- Denver, CO- Bluebird Theater
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Confirmed May tour dates thus far:

May 10, 2012 New York, New York - Webster Hall
    May 11, 2012 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
    May 12, 2012 Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of the Living Arts
    May 13, 2012 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
    May 15, 2012 Toronto, ON, Canada - Mod Club
    May 16, 2012 Detroit, MI - Small's
    May 17, 2012 Chicago, IL - Metro
    May 20, 2012 Boulder, CO - Bluebird Theater
    May 22, 2012 Los Angeles, CA - Gene Autry Museum, Heritage Courtyard
    May 23, 2012 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
    May 25, 2012 Sasquatch Festival - George, WA
    May 26, 2012 Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom

I'm in for DC motherfuckers!! Strongly considering Philly too...
  • Options
    Confirmed May tour dates thus far:

May 10, 2012 New York, New York - Webster Hall
    May 11, 2012 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
    May 12, 2012 Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of the Living Arts
    May 13, 2012 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
    May 15, 2012 Toronto, ON, Canada - Mod Club
    May 16, 2012 Detroit, MI - Small's
    May 17, 2012 Chicago, IL - Metro
    May 20, 2012 Boulder, CO - Bluebird Theater
    May 22, 2012 Los Angeles, CA - Gene Autry Museum, Heritage Courtyard
    May 23, 2012 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
    May 25, 2012 Sasquatch Festival - George, WA
    May 26, 2012 Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom

I'm in for DC motherfuckers!! Strongly considering Philly too...

Count me in for Portland as I am pretty certain I will be in the area at that time.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Damn, 4 hours away is the closest show to me.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Rambis35Rambis35 Posts: 235
    It won't be easy, but I've got to try to get to the Boston show. I saw him at Paradise Rock Club with Soulsavers, and that would be a great venue to see him at again.
  • Options
    GTHobbesGTHobbes Posts: 128
    Still holding out hope for a show in Atlanta, or even somewhere close to Atlanta.
  • Options
    Between Europe and the US, it looks like Mark has got quite the tour ahead of him.

Fucking stoked.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Got tickets for Leeds 10th March, my Wife and I can't wait, have seen him with Soulsavers, solo accoustic and with Isobel Campbell. All three times he's been amazing but this is the gig that's got me stoked especially with this fucking awesome new album out there!
  • Options
    Got tickets for Leeds 10th March, my Wife and I can't wait, have seen him with Soulsavers, solo accoustic and with Isobel Campbell. All three times he's been amazing but this is the gig that's got me stoked especially with this fucking awesome new album out there!

Enjoy ....going to Brum counting down the days .....Album is still glued to my turntable.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I've never really listened to a lot of Lanegan outside of the Screaming Trees, but the few songs I've heard I've liked. Is he worth catching live?
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300
    Definitely! He is one of the most intense guys to see live - he barely moves from the mic, doesn't speak to the crowd very much - but THAT voice is just unbelievable live. If you ever get the chance to see any of his shows (solo, with Isobel, Soulsavers, Gutter Twins etc) do yourself a huge favour and go. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:
    Definitely! He is one of the most intense guys to see live - he barely moves from the mic, doesn't speak to the crowd very much - but THAT voice is just unbelievable live. If you ever get the chance to see any of his shows (solo, with Isobel, Soulsavers, Gutter Twins etc) do yourself a huge favour and go. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Spot on, he is absolutely worth seeing live if you have a chance, I'm getting tix to DC and maybe Philly today. I think this will be my fifth or sixth time seeing him. Have seen him before with the Gutter Twins, Isobel, and the amazing Soulsavers show in a small hole in the wall venue in DC. If you're in a place with great sound, you're in for a treat; I'm hoping they don't have the guitars up too loud so he's not drowned out in the mix. On the slower, more acoustic songs his voice is frigin bone-chilling. If you have a chance, GO.
  • Options
    Listening to Blues Funeral right now and it's fantastic. It kinda makes me feel like I should have a glass of a good whiskey while listening to it, but I'm sure the boss wouldn't approve. Tickets go on sale in half an hour, and I can't think of a better way to spend $28.
  • Options
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    Rambis35Rambis35 Posts: 235
    Well, it looks like I'm going to the Boston show!
  • Options
    Rambis35 wrote:
    Well, it looks like I'm going to the Boston show!
    Awesome! I'll be at the Toronto one.
  • Options
    For anyone that has seen Mark solo, and particularly on this tour... how long does he perform for?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL