The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Kate Beckinsale! Oh man I forgot about her...geeezypeets that's a perty lady!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Took the doggies into the woods this morning, it was only 2 degrees so the snow was much drier, more powdered than it has been the last few days. Everywhere I looked were a million snowdiamonds shining back at me under a clear blue sky, with marshmallow topped trees and bushes, everything rounded and soft. Snow is beautiful, if I could post pictures I would give your photo argument a sound rebuttal!
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    What your describing is glorious no doubt,in small doses.A long weekends worth at best.Same rules apply to NYC or Boston trips.3days then get me back to the tropical heat and humidity.But I feel ya on taking the pups out.I run one of mine out with the bike at 5.30 every morning.Love the tranquil quiet peace of the stars overhead and the quiet.Must be similar to the quiet in snow covered woods.
    kate_beckinsale.jpg
    avengers-age-of-ultron-ms-marvel-updated-kate-beckinsale.jpeg?width=1332&height=1650
    Beauty and brains.She is Oxford educated.

This is a drop the mike,walk off the stage pic here
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I just found out that Uber is delivering puppies to businesses in various cities today, including mine.

PUPPIES. DELIVERED.

$30 for 15 minutes, and they're adoptable too.

http://blog.uber.com/puppybowl

Best idea ever.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    man_show_fox.gif
    hedonist wrote: »
    I just found out that Uber is delivering puppies to businesses in various cities today, including mine.

PUPPIES. DELIVERED.

$30 for 15 minutes, and they're adoptable too.

http://blog.uber.com/puppybowl

Best idea ever.

Awesome really cool idea.
    Wifey and I went to the Puppy Bowl filming last year when we were in NYC super bowl weekend to see the Foo Fighters concert.It was fun and all the dogs are so cute.Its dangerous because you want to take all of them home.

I remember you mentioning that - was it really a year ago?

My goodness but my willingness to snarfle them up from ears to nose to belly is through the roof!

I'm envious of (and happy for) your experience, rr. Being a ref in the midst of that'd be a dream come true.
    hedonist wrote: »
    I remember you mentioning that - was it really a year ago?

My goodness but my willingness to snarfle them up from ears to nose to belly is through the roof!

I'm envious of (and happy for) your experience, rr. Being a ref in the midst of that'd be a dream come true.

Haha Hedo,no refs for us just curious bystanders.Its only novel for about 45 min then it hits ya that all these guys need homes,and the bigger picture creeps in.I remember my wife thinking up ways to transport pups for adoption............We already had 3 at home which is a handful anyway.So this year she decided to do volunteer dog walking at a no kill shelter by our office.You should see these dogs(mostly Pit/Pit mixes)come to life,with a little love and attention.Its sad to think that people would prefer to go to a pet store or breeder when there are so many animals that need adoption.SMDH.
    And yes It was a year since we ran up to NYC for Foos at Super Bowl pre party.But you are probably thinking of 2-3 other mentions of when we saw themthis year.So your not loosing it!
    We try to catch them,like Pj a few shows at special venues each tour.
    I know the feeling, I had an old friend. i hadn't seen for years sucker me into stopping by to smoke a bowl...only to find 9 boxer/american bulldog pups crowded in a studio apartment with their beagle and the pups' dam who was a rescue they didn't know was pregnant. When I decided I had to get one, well then I decided I had to get 2 and now we wish we had the whole pack of 'em lol!
    You have two Pits, gambs? Perhaps you need to post a pic of them. Love the breed and as rr mentioned, how fully they respond to affection. They can be such loving animals, despite their reputation.

And good on your wife, rr! Fantastic choice of volunteering.
    Come on Gambs.Lets see the pups.
    I will try my best, I have never figured out how to post pictures...it's probably easy from a comp but this G2 phone confounds me. I think there is a way to make FB albums (I use FB like a photobucket acct lol) available to those without FB, I will look into it this evening.
    Let's see, here is an album that has a few pictures of the pups, and some of the stuff I did this fall. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1489275341360061&type=1&l=4e7d997f79
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Gambs, lucky pups. What a wonderful life you provide. And the Bass. Wow. Thanks for sharing.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    Great shots, gambs. And Maxie's face! I'm in love :x
    edited January 2015
    While I am in the exhibitionist mode, I will post some of my pics from the PJ euro trip this summer, in case you are bored enough to peruse them.
    Europe in general/the big climb:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1425260841094845&type=1&l=789563812c

PJ in Milan, Trieste, and Vienna:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1635467013345727&type=1&l=8fa401894d

Our time in the Dolomites and the big climb in Austrian Alps:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1635466863345742&type=1&l=f931f8f87f

Max swimming: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1646132202279208&l=122c8a06b4

Jack modeling:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1616644205228008&l=a57c118906
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Thanks callen and hedo!
    The bass was a hoggggg a real treat to catch and release.
    The white dog is Max, he is our cuddlepup, total lapdog loverboy, sweet as can be.
    Brown dog is Jack (we did not come up with good/original names lol i wanted short, shoutable names) and he is our guard dog/rowdypup!
    Wow dude! Looks like you had one hell of an adventure last year. Fantastic shots thank you for sharing.Was that Transylvania County Down in NC?
    After seeing pics,I gotta ask.How has the wife been dealing with shelving the hard climbs and activity?Going crazy?
    You guys strike me as the type of folks that when young Jean Claude Van Gambs is ready to join the adventure,you will have him ready to go at a young age.I see a heavy duty off road stroller/runner in your future.I bet you go get one with like wench and flood lights, heavy duty suspension and of course a rack for gear.lol
    edited January 2015
    Thanks RR!!! It was our best year yet! I am really proud of how active we were, a months worth of nights in a tent was a personal triumph of sorts, and there were lots of small trips on top of the daily rambles in the woods and weekly kayakin. The NC backpack was in Pisgah. Not sure the county. The Art Loeb Trail, 31 miles with a whopping 17,000 ft of elevation change. Up and down, repeat until beat!
    She isn't too stir crazy yet, we usually lay pretty low in the winter anyways, and she gets out in the woods every few days with me and the pups. It was a tough blow finding out we were gonna have a child, we had just decided to hike the Appalachian Trail next year, now that dream is way deferred lol. It will be tough for these first few years but yeah, we wilk have Jean Claude out and ready long before it is convenient or easy lol
    Hahaha I like the image of this monster-wheel stroller! No wheels can handle a talus field, even monster truck strollers can't handle the scree we call heaven, so I will have to strap the boy on my back and hoof it Native American style, and that's exactly what I plan to do!
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    rgambs wrote: »
    Thanks RR!!! It was our best year yet! I am really proud of how active we were, a months worth of nights in a tent was a personal triumph of sorts, and there were lots of small trips on top of the daily rambles in the woods and weekly kayakin. The NC backpack was in Pisgah. Not sure the county. The Art Loeb Trail, 31 miles with a whopping 17,000 ft of elevation change. Up and down, repeat until beat!
    She isn't too stir crazy yet, we usually lay pretty low in the winter anyways, and she gets out in the woods every few days with me and the pups. It was a tough blow finding out we were gonna have a child, we had just decided to hike the Appalachian Trail next year, now that dream is way deferred lol. It will be tough for these first few years but yeah, we wilk have Jean Claude out and ready long before it is convenient or easy lol
    Hahaha I like the image of this monster-wheel stroller! No wheels can handle a talus field, even monster truck strollers can't handle the scree we call heaven, so I will have to strap the boy on my back and hoof it Native American style, and that's exactly what I plan to do!

Backpacks or front packs, definitely the way to go, especially on rough ground or snow.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Already have one picked out, the Osprey Poco. By the time I am ready it will be in it's second or third generation, just when they have it perfect but before the over-tweak it.
    gambo, this made me smile. Glad you have so much to enjoy and that you ARE enjoying it.

Of course, I went straight to the dog pics :D

Those papoose type baby harnesses kinda freak me out a little.I would always think about tripping and crushing the baby.Although it does look cool seeing a front facing baby,strapped in with a big ole ,I gotta crap my diaper smile.legs and arms jutting out with carrots smeg plastered on the face and of course the dried spit up stains all down the front.
    Do they make cool baby adventure sunglasses?That would really enhance this visual for me.lol

When my youngest was a wee thing.She would love to go Mountain biking with me while strapped into a pretty rugged bike seat.Imwould take it easy with her onboard but she would giggle wildly if I had speed going down hill or rolled over some mogul type hills(no air).
    Caught a thick Root jutting out while taking a corner one time and went down with her on board.My heart dropped and I thought the worst ,but when I looked back she had dirt on her face and helmet and was belly laughing.Then said"That was fun Daddy! Let's do it again.We knew we had a tough cookie with that one.lol Those seats are tough as shit.
    It's friday !!!
    Saw this clip.Fun for a Weekend primer.Take a look at this list of 10 best solos of all time.Do you agree?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=f4NOJ42-BKM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Already have one picked out, the Osprey Poco. By the time I am ready it will be in it's second or third generation, just when they have it perfect but before the over-tweak it.

An old family friend runs this store (local and independent!) out of Nelson, BC, that carries a whole host of gear for taking your baby/kid into the great outdoors, including the Poco you mention. Just in case you want to check it out:

http://www.mountainbaby.com/
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    They make some pretty slick ones! Kelty, Deuter, and Osprey all make backpack style carriers that have storage pockets, changing pads, overhead and side "awnings" for sun protection, they convert into regular daypacks, and you can buy after-market bug nets. It's like a luxury piggy-back ride lol.

I like the story about the bike riding, it reminds me of how tough I was when I was but a sapling. I used to jump off the merry-go-round at ridiculous speeds and tuck n roll like I was evil Kineval ( how the hex that spelled?)

I hope my boy isn't a scaredycat like my brother, he doesn't care for speed, heights, or water...that would be difficult for me, but in some ways they are who they are and you cant do much about it.
  • I love that your family is do adventurous Gambs! That's awesome! As a major outdoors person myself.. Even as busted as I am, I love seeing people bringing their kids in backpacks, or having them toddle up a trail! It's good for them! When I was out hiking earlier this week, there was a family out with their four kids, and all the kids were engaging with the very youngest, teaching him about the flowers and the trees.. And the rocks!! I was so happy to see that! There needs to be more of that and less of this XBOX bullshit! Just me.. But still good to see peeps getting their kids outside and moving!! Can't wait to see pics of Jean Cluade Van Gambs' adventures! Cute doggies by the way!!