The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Be safe on your way home tonight. Don't be stupid. Get a DD!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,598
    We had plans to head north to see my father this morning but the wind storm last night knocked out our power and wrecked absolute havoc around here. We cleaned up the mess and put in some extra time at the store as well, so instead of driving all day the last day of the year, we took care of business and now I'm home sipping a rum margarita of my own invention and kicking back with the power back on, a good movie to watch (The Giver) and cozy heat! Tomorrow we head north and return again Friday- a crazy lotta driving for two days but ask me if I care right now! :-D

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

And ditto Last 12's suggestion. Be safe and happy New Year, friends!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux wrote: »
    We had plans to head north to see my father this morning but the wind storm last night knocked out our power and wrecked absolute havoc around here. We cleaned up the mess and put in some extra time at the store as well, so instead of driving all day the last day of the year, we took care of business and now I'm home sipping a rum margarita of my own invention and kicking back with the power back on, a good movie to watch (The Giver) and cozy heat! Tomorrow we head north and return again Friday- a crazy lotta driving for two days but ask me if I care right now! :-D

Happy New Year Brian
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I really liked the giver. Read it in middle-school and they fleshed it out well for the film.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs wrote: »
    I really liked the giver. Read it in middle-school and they fleshed it out well for the film.

Yeah- the book was good! happy New Year rg!

Happy New Year PJfan!

Happy New year all, it's MOVIE TIME!

• Happy NewYears all you dastardly debaters you!! Serious though I hope this New Year brings about new joys, great experiences, and fond new memories for all!!
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Happy New Year

1779319_963042290383449_5387415374946024868_n.jpg?oh=ee29495e5c59a33cec09a0741b7fe85f&oe=5525F5E5&__gda__=1430749476_9c2abd818387eadc866511f716b42e47
    I love that, I shared it on my FB page!
    Astrology is among the very dumbest of things that people believe in.
  • rgambs wrote: »

and god

and god

Personally I think it is ridiculous to think there ISN'T something out there besides us. ( God in whatever manner of speaking in which you choose to acknowledge Him). But I really hate arguing.. None the less, to say there is no God makes less sense to me than to say there IS. This world, in all its complex vastness and diversity is NO accident. Just my belief.

Hope everyone's new year is off to a great start!
    I think believing in God makes more sense than the belief that astronomical bodies millions of light years away exert an influence on the daily events of our lives.

Whispering hands, it all comes down to how you define "god". If you go with the regular, commonyl accepted definition (the man in the sky that created everything from nothing, guides all actions and knows all outcomes, and vainly requires our attention) then I would say it is crazy to think that makes more sense than tje physical properties which rule the uni/multiverse.

If your definition of god is broad and vague, then it is much more believable, but still not credible and not really god anyway. To say the world is no accident because it is vast and complex doesn't feature particularly strong properties of logic and reason.
  • But that is what makes it most probable, is that it is just as vague and uniquely complex as this universe. And I truly believe in God in the traditional sense. Only I don't believe He ' guides all actions'. I believe we are responsible for our own actions, and that IN that responsibility, we are accountable for said actions. I believe that God gave us the Bible, (which is not always easy to swallow given that we have to trust that MEN were in communication with GOD, and writing down accounts of the things He told them, or their own personal experiences involving God, Jesus, and eventually the Holy Spirit) as a playbook so to speak; a' this is what I ask of you, as this is what I have given to you, and here will be the result in this relationship'.So, I totally get how people have a gross disbelief in the Bible, or even God Himself. But I honestly believe that I can prove the existence of God as I see Him, more through my actions, and the way I live my life, than in the things I say. After all, we've all read the thread in here about how there is No God. Has anyone verbally proved His existence yet?? Nope. But the faith required to believe in Him also has the power to completly renew lives that we have destroyed by our crappy actions, as the rest of stupid choices. So I honestly believe the Bible in that it is written in there that we are to speak to those who don't share our belief with grave wisdom, instead relying on our outward life as proof of the existence of God, seeing how words are basically worthless in that capacity.

Ok after your response I say we nullify this.. This IS the lounge car. And I don't like venturing into the debates, as I find it futile and redundantly useless, other than to read. I honestly respect you guys' opinions, but I felt I had to speak up, as I find there to be no stupidity in believing that there is a God that by simple childlike faith can greatly improve your way of living.

Carry on, my wayward sons.. Jk! ;-) you knw I love you all even if we disagree on many many things.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Nice how such a passionate subject can be discussed so...lounge-like :-)

And...apropos to nothing, last night I was so (nicely) high that I went to take off my socks and then realized I wasn't wearing any.
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Just have to let it out again!

God very good news about my sons best friend who is still in koma bbuuuttt he got the MRT results and he probably will not keep special damages ! I am crying like a little baby now and can´t stop ! I am so happy I have no words!
    His older brother has visited us about 8 hours ago and mentioned that he had a good day yesterday and that they eventually want to make the MRT the next days. So this was unexpected and totally overwhelming after all this complications in the last days!
    What a gift!

Well it´s 8 pm so I will def. get a drink later! Cheers !

Is there a word for over/ more than happy ???
  • Awesome Kce8!! I am so glad to hear this! This news just put a smile on my face!:-). As for a word for overtly happy?? I'd say elated, ecstatic, overjoyed, hugs to you and all of yours!
    Hahaha taking off socks that aren't on, that is a nice comfy buzz right there!
    kce8 wrote: »
    Just have to let it out again!

God very good news about my sons best friend who is still in koma bbuuuttt he got the MRT results and he probably will not keep special damages ! I am crying like a little baby now and can´t stop ! I am so happy I have no words!
    His older brother has visited us about 8 hours ago and mentioned that he had a good day yesterday and that they eventually want to make the MRT the next days. So this was unexpected and totally overwhelming after all this complications in the last days!
    What a gift!

Well it´s 8 pm so I will def. get a drink later! Cheers !

Is there a word for over/ more than happy ???
    Happy tears are as sweet as they're salty.

Wonderful news!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Still crying...this must be all the fears...and nameless relief...
    I think believing in God makes more sense than the belief that astronomical bodies millions of light years away exert an influence on the daily events of our lives.
    quote]

What a great insight. How can you argue with that?
    Good to be back home and kicking back in the lounge car!

So glad to hear about the good news kce8! :-)

Hope everyone's new year is off to a good start!

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    That's very good news to hear kc.
    Yes, very good news - thank you all for caring!
    (lol ...don´t know if that´s correct english...lol)
    But I think you know what I mean...

They want to wake him up now but it could take a week so we all hope and can´t wait to see him again. They only let his parents and brother see him and there were days (around Christmas) when they don´t even let the parents touch him because of his brain pressure reactions, so we are humbly waited and still waiting for the smallest improvements!
    It´s been a while since I felt this deep gratitude...
    I just don´t know why I still could cry all the time...I should be so lucky but I´m still tearful (usually not).

"They spent less than half an hour with Vedder."

Really!? Less than half an hour? Hardly what I would call "hanging out", haha!

Enough time to partake in that fine Hawaiian ganja :-\"

I'd imagine any celebrity (or non) is considered a "friend" of the Obamas when donating time, money, or both.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Happy New Years everyone and Belated Bday Gambs.29 huh?Brian has blue jeans older than that.Lol
    I took a little breather from the interwebs through the holidays while all my freeloaders came home to share the love and pilfer my money clip and eat and drink us out of all consumable resources.It was great but I'm glad they are gone.Finally some quiet.
    My daughter did leave behind some special Chocolate bars that where imported from Cali.Very nice and mellow!!!
    Cheers everyone
    Sippin on scotch, listening to wifey learn Soon Forget on the new uke... Wondering when we will see RR poke his head back in here.
    Sounds nice, gambo! Is she getting the hang of it?

Perhaps next she could tackle the vocals of Arc - might help when your little one is making his way out :-D

Been a helluva last couple of days workwise...refinancing one of our loans and the adrenalin-aftermath is a BITCH. So decompressing at home now with a bowl, incense, and our kitties till the husband gets home. Manhunter is on (the version with that dreamy William L. Petersen) but I'm debating on-demanding last night's American Horror Freak Show.

It's no crime to escape....
    There's still time, so escape!
    I was very excited to hear that one and Parachutes in encore 1 at Cincy!

She's gettin the hang of it! Arc, not so much lol