The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    rr165892 said:

Show was great.they played 3 hrs.We got Footsteps,Imagine,Chloe(My Daughters name and white whale song for me)Dancer/Crown,Down,Not for you,just to name a few.Great energy and crowd.Will be a top notch bootleg.

Awesome! White whale shows are always the best!

I've snared many a white whale, but All Those Yesterday's has alluded me. It's alluded me like a bunch of paper plates. Yar, matey! It's be a charnce tis landlubber be seeing tis white whale in lands where folks talk width charming accents!

Don't ya know ...

Uff da ....

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Son of a bitch. I've spent the last seven or eight minutes typing and backspacing and trying to find some way to NOT say "I love you, man!" to the last three posters without sounding odd and intrusive.

Ah, fuck it...going with Bret & Jemaine :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArZxLj6DLk
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I heard they are coming back! Awesome! They hit me right in the funny bone, right up there with Tenacious D. Love me some Jables and Rage Kage!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Really? I hope so! Admit to having a crush on one or both of them.

Also, listening to / watching old PJ unplugging it - State of Love & Trust - just love these boys, seeing how young and earnest they were (still are).

Anyone else see a resemblance btw Mr. Gossard and Paul from the Wonder Years? Nothing like intelligent, observant eyes. Something in the schozzal area as well.

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rgambs said:

Y'all are giving me the munchies...oh wait I did that :-) gonna rock some scrabble and some chess with the preggers!

PS. Heat and humidity over cold?? Lunacy I say!! Give me cold, I'll bundle down and light up the fire...I want to live where air conditioners don't. The silent perfection of moonlight on fresh snow is worth any amount of discomfort.

Gambs,I know we have beat the beard discussion to death,but with this last statement I'm envisioning the Mountain Man from the Diet Dr.Pepper commercial.lol

So let me get this straight.You would take snow and moonlight over a warm tropical breeze,with moonlight skipping across the balmy water at the beach,with a bright star lighted night as a backdrop ,toes in the sand,cold drink in hand,Palm froms softly swaying ,and the company of your favorite person?
    edited October 2014
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

Y'all are giving me the munchies...oh wait I did that :-) gonna rock some scrabble and some chess with the preggers!

PS. Heat and humidity over cold?? Lunacy I say!! Give me cold, I'll bundle down and light up the fire...I want to live where air conditioners don't. The silent perfection of moonlight on fresh snow is worth any amount of discomfort.

Gambs,I know we have beat the beard discussion to death,but with this last statement I'm envisioning the Mountain Man from the Diet Dr.Pepper commercial.lol

So let me get this straight.You would take snow and moonlight over a warm tropical breeze,with moonlight skipping across the balmy water at the beach,with a bright star lighted night as a backdrop ,toes in the sand,cold drink in hand,Palm froms softly swaying ,and the company of your favorite person?
    Talking of beards is like growing of beards...never too much. I haven't seen that commercial (no TV) but I can imagine when I look to my bookshelf with my pictures of wilderness excursions LOL

As crazy as it sounds,and as wonderful as you made it sound, yes I absolutely stand pat. The warm tropical breeze is far too humid and hot in the daytime, unless you are actually on the beach! The stars are much brighter in the Northern skies, and the Auroras are life-changing! I would sit by the crackling fire, glass of scotch and a fatty, snuggled up to my wife and enjoy the glory of the mountains. Then when I travel to the tropics I can truly enjoy it for it's exotic beauty. Barbados was amazing, but the Alps doubled the amazement!
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,600
    rr, rgambs, I like and have appreciated both those scenarios so I'll throw in another- one one my favorites:

Waking up to a cool fogging morning on the pacific coast, watching black necked stilts skitter across the sand while squadrons of pelicans cruise just off the surface of the water. Later in the morning as the fog burns off and the sun begins to dance on the great Pacific, clamber over the rocky shore searching for seastars and sea anemones. Spend the afternoons hiking along grassy knolls where buttercups, larkspur and blue-eyed grass flowers have opened in the warm afternoon sun. End the day watching the sun dip below that vast stretch of sea and sipping a little Southern Comfort and passing the pipe around a warm campfire.
    Perfection!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

All of those sound beautifully sensual and liberating, both physically and for the psyche.

I'll still take cool climate over warm any day! Wish we had a fireplace in our condo; it'd get much use.

Had a good conversation with my sister this morning; they live an hour away but we don't see each other too often - life, work, etc. But we talk every week, text or email too. She told me my 18-year-old nephew (in first year of college) joined a weekend club that performs community service.

Speak of "imagine"! At that age, I was more self-absorbed and about my weekends. About ME.

Last weekend, he assisted cancer patients with walking up and down stage for a ceremony. 7am this morning, at Ronald McDonald house serving breakfast to the patients and families there.

I LOVE THIS KID.
    "Where the mountains meet the sea, that's where I should be." I'm in! We should all pitch in and buy a farm up in the Great Northwest and start a mothereffin Pearl Jam fan commune! Not the "healing with crystals, searching for vortexes, cult" type, but the "grow your own food, don't hurt the earth, don't be an asshole" type!
    I'm with you on the last part after "but the"...sooo, what about us meat-eaters? :D
    rgambs said:

"Where the mountains meet the sea, that's where I should be." I'm in! We should all pitch in and buy a farm up in the Great Northwest and start a mothereffin Pearl Jam fan commune! Not the "healing with crystals, searching for vortexes, cult" type, but the "grow your own food, don't hurt the earth, don't be an asshole" type!

I've always like the notion of a successful commune. The utter failure of most hippie dippie communes in the 60's kind of killed my interest in the idea for a long time but the modern version know as co-housing actually offers some appealing ideas. Some good info on co-housing here:

http://www.cohousing.org/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

hedonist said:

I'm with you on the last part after "but the"...sooo, what about us meat-eaters? :D

Oh the Alps....thinking of those mountains and their inhabitants is like looking at a photo of a long lost love. It just aches so bittersweetly.

Hell yeah meat eaters! I have been obsessing lately over the idea of having goats for milk and meat...a few goats, a few chickens, and a few pigs and we'd be living large!
    Those meat goats look mighty tasty! I'll bet someone with some Persian ancestry ( am I remembering that correctly from another thread?) would have some choice recipes to spice it up real good...damn they are gonna have to put a dining service in the lounge car I always have the munchies when I'm here.
    rgambs said:

Those meat goats look mighty tasty! I'll bet someone with some Persian ancestry ( am I remembering that correctly from another thread?) would have some choice recipes to spice it up real good...damn they are gonna have to put a dining service in the lounge car I always have the munchies when I'm here.

Correct, sir! Good memory.

First thought went to the Stones cover...Goat Head's Soup...(sorry andwishwestillhadthetinyfontoption :D).

During my first/only trip to Iran in the mid-70s, we attended a traditional wedding. I was 10/11-ish had borrowed my cousin's blue halter dress. Felt so grown-up!

Such a beautiful setting with a view of all of Tehran...and man, how exotic the scents and tastes were, and then these hugely-warm and hospitable people who welcomed their American family, even if not related by blood.

Then...the MOMENT.

I don't even remember if pomp and circumstance were involved, just recall a whole cooked goat on a spit being wheeled out and people making their way towards it post-haste. Me thinking "hmm, that could be tasty - time to investigate".

By the time I got there - and we're talking five, maybe ten minutes - nothing left. Bones!
    hedonist said:

rgambs said:

Correct, sir! Good memory.

First thought went to the Stones cover...Goat Head's Soup...(sorry andwishwestillhadthetinyfontoption :D).

During my first/only trip to Iran in the mid-70s, we attended a traditional wedding. I was 10/11-ish had borrowed my cousin's blue halter dress. Felt so grown-up!

Such a beautiful setting with a view of all of Tehran...and man, how exotic the scents and tastes were, and then these hugely-warm and hospitable people who welcomed their American family, even if not related by blood.

Then...the MOMENT.

I don't even remember if pomp and circumstance were involved, just recall a whole cooked goat on a spit being wheeled out and people making their way towards it post-haste. Me thinking "hmm, that could be tasty - time to investigate".

By the time I got there - and we're talking five, maybe ten minutes - nothing left. Bones!
    Hah! It must have been delish, I never was shy about getting into a pig line, and I never got shut out like that...I'd have had to cry lol
    I have never actually eaten goat but I haven't met a meat that I didn't enjoy! When cooked properly lol.
    My in-laws laughed at me but I says to 'em, "Someday I'll have me some goats, you just watch me"
    Post number 1000! Woot woot!!
    Thank you Pearl Jam for rocking my life and thank you train riders for the laughs and frustrations and chance to skim my teeming brain when the kettle starts to whistle!
    :)>-
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

As crazy as it sounds,and as wonderful as you made it sound, yes I absolutely stand pat. The warm tropical breeze is far too humid and hot in the daytime, unless you are actually on the beach! The stars are much brighter in the Northern skies, and the Auroras are life-changing! I would sit by the crackling fire, glass of scotch and a fatty, snuggled up to my wife and enjoy the glory of the mountains. Then when I travel to the tropics I can truly enjoy it for it's exotic beauty. Barbados was amazing, but the Alps doubled the amazement!
    I'm with rgambs on this. As beautiful as a tropic beach can be, the heat and I do not get along; heat gives me headaches and makes me irritable. But the mountains, the snow - pure bliss. Cross country skiing, snow-shoeing, hiking; all are wonderful. I've spent some time in the Alps and really enjoyed it, but time in the mountains in BC and Alberta is great, too. I spent 4 days at Lake Louise this past February, nordic skiing and hiking where the trails were packed. You can't beat it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=a7Dcoer2oxA

Gambs here is the commercials I was joking with you about.Enjoy the silliness.
    edited October 2014
    Brian,I lived in Portland for 9 months in 91.( Micro brew Beer,coffee and Grunge all coming to life at that time).So I got some Pacific coast actionStill have family in Oregon.We used to head up to Newport,Cannon Beach and Astoria and I have hiked and enjoyed the coast and the beach side landscape.I agree its a special place.In fact my son was conceived in a haunted cabin at Ecola Creek Lodge,in Cannon Beach.I was going to tell the story of the haunting, not the conception on the paranormal thread but Ill hold it back for now.lol

Hedo,sorry no fireplace for those fridged SoCal winters.Ironically I have one and fire that sucker up like 1/2 a dozen times a year when winter hits the beach and temps drop into the mid 60's.And you are talking about Kosher Goat right?lol

Gambs congrats on 1k posts,Your scenario does sound awesome just to fucking cold.But I would like to see the Northern Lights at some point.
    rr165892 said:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a7Dcoer2oxA

Gambs here is the commercials I was joking with you about.Enjoy the silliness.

When I find myself in a WiFi zone I will watch these!

I drove past a goat farm near me today... The goats looked at me like they knew me.
    I walked through the mountain man encampment at the fall festival and they tried to recruit me.
    Hedo,
    Don't know if you saw this.But looks really cool and its in LA in Nov.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-chris-cornell/

Cornell on stage with Jimmy Page for a sit down and expo on his new book and pictures.Maybe a song or 2(how fucking awesome that would be).younshould go and give us a field report!:))
    Thanks for the heads-up on this! Gonna check out the particulars of attending and see if we can make it.

I love what he said about Jack White at the end :)
    Fuck yeah its Friday.
    Nap,gym,burger for dinner,say hi to mr green and a beer or 2 and a Movie/football game on the tube.Solid itinerary for this evening.Rock pub and live bands after honeydoo's tomorrow.
    Hope everyone has a happy and healthy stress free weekend.First round is on me,what will it be loungers?
    ^^^ LOL! Glad you're having a good time, rr! :))

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Wave your hands in the air like you just don't care! It's Friday!

image:D
    Fast Times came out the year I graduated high school, and I think shot mostly around LA. Good times AND high times!

rr, sounds like a nice day and evening for you. I'll be following in your footsteps later, minus the gym, nap, burger and beer :-B

Jason P... ! :D
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    rr165892 said:
    :)) What the h... ? Young Sean Penn !?!
    Just a clueless European here.... - never saw this... :))
    Kce8-if you have never seen Fast Time at Ridgemont High do yourself a favor and watch it.