The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,602
    My Goddaughter made a record! Her band is Audio Inkblot, an indie band out of D.C. You can check out some of the songs here. :smiley:

http://audioinkblot.bandcamp.com/
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    On a plane, will check out later Bri.
    Thanks, rr!

Have a safe trip. :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Ok I Ink-blotted.Congrats to your Goddaughter and best of luck to those musicians.Shes coming from a good area for music (Dave Grohl).Im trying to think who she reminds me of.Shades of Debbie Harry?
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    brianlux said:

My Goddaughter made a record! Her band is Audio Inkblot, an indie band out of D.C. You can check out some of the songs here. :smiley:

Congrats. Now I'm going to ask you to be completely unbiased brian. I want to know your honest opinion before I click on that link. Is the band any good?
    So we have a tropical storm hitting Sunday but we could not let that ruin a good Foo Fighters road trip to Chicago and Wrigley field.Show is sat night and then Sunday I Changed my return trip home and should get back 6 hours before weather turns......Stay tuned,haha.Its so irresponsible of us,but wtf.

This is one cool city.What a great vibe.So many good places to eat and drink.Im very impressed.I will def be back.

Actually doing a first for me.I'm going to meet up with a few other ten clubbers from this board and we are going to grab some drinks prior to show.Should be fun.
    Not Dan O he's traveling.His loss.If anyone is going feel free to join us.just pm me.
    Have a great weekend guys.

I'm glad Erika stayed kn that westerly path. Prevented charleston from taking that hit. But we can definitely use a little rain in the upstate to bring the lake level up a couple feet.
    edited August 2015

brianlux said:

Congrats. Now I'm going to ask you to be completely unbiased brian. I want to know your honest opinion before I click on that link. Is the band any good?
    OK, fair enough. Totally honest answer: Yes... but will I play it all the time? Maybe, maybe not. It's not my normal thing (hard rock, blues, jazz) but I like being challenged to listen to new stuff. ReverbNation describes them as "indie, shoegaze and post new wave that seamlessly integrates thick guitars, lush keyboards and complex drumming," not quite my thing but it might grow on me.

But bottom line- yes, they are very good! My goddaughter Naphtali was originally trained in opera and worked with a professional singer (someone very respected in the world of opera but I can't come up with the name right now). She has a dynamite voice. It's worth checking out just to hear Naphtali sing.

Let me know what you honestly think.

Here's the link to the songs.

"Gasoline" is cool, maybe try that one.
    http://audioinkblot.bandcamp.com/track/gasoline

P.S. I really want to push this 'cause I really do think it's good but don't want to over do it. How's my restraint so far? :lol:

Post edited by brianlux on

edited August 2015
    Honest opinion.....there's talent there. It's a little too indie for me. I'd like to hear those songs without the keyboards. Maybe throw in an opening guitar riff instead. The keyboards gives it to much of a Cure or Duran Duran feel that just doesn't click with me. Also, the earthy effects are nothing I like to hear.

The vocals are there. She can definitely belt. And the songs seems to have substance. The description you cite above is pretty spot on.

Edit: I feel like if they were a "rock" band, they would have a "swallowed whole" vibe. Which isn't a bad thing.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on

Honest opinion.....there's talent there. It's a little too indie for me. I'd like to hear those songs without the keyboards. Maybe throw in an opening guitar riff instead. The keyboards gives it to much of a Cure or Duran Duran feel that just doesn't click with me. Also, the earthy effects are nothing I like to hear.

The vocals are there. She can definitely belt. And the songs seems to have substance. The description you cite above is pretty spot on.

Edit: I feel like if they were a "rock" band, they would have a "swallowed whole" vibe. Which isn't a bad thing.

Thanks for the honest feedback!

"swallowed whole" vibe" Haha! Never heard that one before!

brianlux said:

Thanks for the honest feedback!

"swallowed whole" vibe" Haha! Never heard that one before!

Not that they sound like that. The earthy effects they put into the songs reminds me of how eddie writes. I could hear those sounds in his songs.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    B, I checked out part of the track that was listed at the top of the page. I hope she and her cohorts do well and have a blast in the process!

On another note, I made a random elderly woman (not behind a counter nor in a small town) smile today. Was leaving the market after buying lunch and she was sitting in a wheelchair outside with a blanket draped over (in the HEAT), dark sunglasses on. No particular expression.

She obviously wasn't homeless, probably just waiting for her partner or caretaker while shopping.

Anyway, I walked by, had no idea if my eyes met hers but I smiled at her. And whatta smile I got back!

Made my day. Hope hers too.
    Here's a cool Carlton Melton track for your Friday evening, riders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtguJ31h3c

I can't describe how it feels to...FEEL...with this music, and watching the moon rise from pink to bright and just huge.

Was it Speedy's thread on AET about the little things?

Those are actually the big things. Being happy with what and who we have and are, and what and who has us.
    A little Dino to start the day off right. And more coffee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBHFggNa7lg

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,172
    Good morning to everyone....been busy with work the last 9 days. Missed out on some interest threads like the Virginia one and others. I'm free for a couple days and as summer ends I'm thinking of hanging out at the beach down the road. Playing this song with some wine and smoke saying goodbye to summer for some but NOT DOWN HERE THOUGH.....

Lakeside Park......RUSH

Midway hawkers calling
    Try your luck with me
    Merry-go-round wheezing
    The same old melody
    A thousand ten cent wonders
    Who could ask for more
    A pocketful of silver
    The key to heaven's door

Lakeside Park
    Willows in the breeze
    Lakeside Park
    So many memories
    Laughing rides
    Midway lights
    Shining stars on summer nights

Days of barefoot freedom
    Racing with the waves
    Nights of starlit secrets
    Crackling driftwood flames
    Drinking by the lighthouse
    Smoking on the pier
    Still we saw the magic
    Was fading every year

Everyone would gather
    On the twenty-fourth of May
    Sitting in the sand
    To watch the fireworks display
    Dancing fires on the beach
    Singing songs together
    Though it's just a memory
    Some memories last forever

http://youtu.be/nfpZGtr9BiU
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Nice one, g :)
    Such a sweet sweet way to wrap up this evening.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEu7fcjgWK0
    I saw this it made me smile and fitting for viewing here amongst the lounger elite.
    http://www.alternativenation.net/100-ethiopian-kids-sing-pearl-jam-even-flow/
    I wanted to share this picture of hope with you all,after our stormy almost catastrophic storm here in south Florida this weekend.
    G, you will appreciate this seeing how every bottle of water was off the shelves due to the sky falling.stay strong Palm Beach!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,172
    rr165892 said:

I wanted to share this picture of hope with you all,after our stormy almost catastrophic storm here in south Florida this weekend.
    G, you will appreciate this seeing how every bottle of water was off the shelves due to the sky falling.stay strong Palm Beach!

rr, you are spot on in that we were literally sold out of water (1 entire trailer load and still didn't have enough) when the reports were that storm was ONLY a Cat 1 storm. My nightmare will be IF we ever have a Cat 3 or higher is headed our way.....how will people react then. It will be scary indeed, that Cat 1 storm caused me to work 9 days in a row.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

That's like when our news says lots of rain is coming (I wish) and then we get a barely-visible mist. And still everyone panics.

Anyway, four-day weekend!

I stopped to pick up some smokes and incense on the way home, and while wiping the sticks' dust off my hands, one of my wedding rings flew off, hit something and was nowhere to be found.

I was pretty close to tears.

Luckily, I've been a customer for years and trust the owner and his staff, and it's GOT to be there, so there's a decent chance they'll find it.

Nothing I can do about it at this point, so might as well enjoy the now.
  • hedonist said:

That's like when our news says lots of rain is coming (I wish) and then we get a barely-visible mist. And still everyone panics.

Anyway, four-day weekend!

I stopped to pick up some smokes and incense on the way home, and while wiping the sticks' dust off my hands, one of my wedding rings flew off, hit something and was nowhere to be found.

I was pretty close to tears.

Luckily, I've been a customer for years and trust the owner and his staff, and it's GOT to be there, so there's a decent chance they'll find it.

Nothing I can do about it at this point, so might as well enjoy the now.

Oh, that completely sucks! :frowning: . Crossing my fingers that they find it for you. I once had a special ring go right down the sink in the bathroom of a little family resort. The owner almost tore apart the plumbing trying to get it but no dice; however, I appreciated his efforts.

Then I tried to file an insurance claim since I had travel insurance that should have covered it, but they denied it because I hadn't filed a police report. Like I'm going to file a police report on something I lost myself! It's in the fine print, though. I don't think I've ever received anything back from travel insurance and I've tried to make 4 claims so far. I guess I should just stop buying it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I lost my wedding ring slinging balls of clay at my cousin in the lake. Whoops.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    My mom once forgot her engagement ring in a department store restroom when washing her hands. Gone. I've no idea of its cost but it was beautiful in its simplicity, and I'm not even into diamonds.

And often, years ago my favorite silver ring fell into the toilet and I just couldn't get it out. Sorry about yours. It sucks!

Mine isn't necessarily expensive, but still precious to me. And it's carbon fiber, so very light and wouldn't look valuable to the average Joe.

My right hand is missing its lefty mate!
    Sorry Hedo.I know the feeling and it Blows.
    Thanks, rr. I'm nursing my wounds with the usual accoutrements accompanied by All in the Family.

"Those were the daaaays"

Salve, I tell ya :)
    I'm sitting in the dark waiting for a bigass bat to emerge from whatever otherworldly hiding place it has found in my living room, so that I can chase it with a broom like the protagonist of oh-so-many comedies from the 80's and 90's.
    John Candy and Dan Akroyd, Chris Farley and David Spade, Dwight Shrute...
    I am in pretty good company here with this bat situation.