P90x

Comments

• Make sure to have a chiropractor on call when doing P90x. You can really fuck up your body trying to keep up with the video and you need to have proper form while doing the exercises and the pace doesn't really allow for you to.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Make sure to have a chiropractor on call when doing P90x. You can really fuck up your body trying to keep up with the video and you need to have proper form while doing the exercises and the pace doesn't really allow for you to.

This! It seems that today all of the fitness rage is things like "Extreme" or "Insanity". Fitness has turned into a Monutain Dew commercial. Proper form is being substituted for speed. I touched on "Crossfit" excercise here last month which is just horrible. Try looking at it on youtube and you'll see what I mean. Make sure you stretch and NEVER break proper form just to keep up. I'm telling you, one twist the wrong way can lead to a long and painful recovery.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    DAY 2-PLYOMETRICS

First off...I am sore...but in that good way. I feel muscles I forgot I had. Pecs hurt, lats hurt...also, I missed doing the Ab-Ripper section yesterday *oops*...well, it's on the program for tomorrow, I'll just be a day behind.

the DVD-my knees hurt...today is all about jumping, keeping your heart rate up. I can't do everything...like, I am not a rock star yet, as I cannot jump up and swing my arm around a'la Mike McCready multiple times in a row...I may switch this workout for the cardio like they suggest if my knees keep hurting. I'll give it another try the next 2 weeks and see how I do.

I really like the countdown timer at the bottom of the videos, by the time I think "how long has it been?" I see there are only 18 minutes left, it's not so bad.
    Make sure to have a chiropractor on call when doing P90x. You can really fuck up your body trying to keep up with the video and you need to have proper form while doing the exercises and the pace doesn't really allow for you to.

I am currently seeing a chiro right now. He loves that I am doing the program!

zarocat: :shock: :crazy: :lol: ok...maybe after 3 weeks, I can try the routines you posted. I am doing modified exercises if I can't do the ones they show, or 'jumping rope' for now...I'm stoked that I've got that "hey cool, working out...I remember this" feeling.

MatDay10: I'll def go check out their message boards. I was looking at a different one, and it seems to be kinda dead.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Any workout is a high risk for the back. Also mind you, p90x isnt meant as a couch to gym program. On the videos the constantly advise you to slow down if you need to, and when you come up out of something, they always take it very slow.
    DAY 3- ARMS, SHOULDERS, and ABS

Not so bad today for arms and shoulders...I really like flys, and working the triceps...buh-bye grandma arm flaps!
    Abs-yeah, he's not kidding when he says this is an intense workout! I cannot do regular sit-ups, never been able to do them. I am of the thought that sit-ups are hard on your back...I'd rather do sets of pike crunches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc_OR8I_ ... re=related
    those are easier for me than the sit-ups.

I'm sleeping better, and have a new schedule, I fall asleep around 9/10pm and am awake at 4/5am :? ...and not the lounge around awake, the 'I feel like I need to get up and moving around that early.
    Still trying to add more protein to my diet. I'm just not hungry for the amount of food they recommend.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Good Luck to You - RKCNDY...

I watched the infomercial the other night :shock: I don't think I can make it. My hardest challenge would be those jumping exercises....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    Have you tried the P90X Yoga program??
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
    Pamela0222 wrote:

That's up for tomorrow. The book says "This is not a sit back and relax day" :? I'm up for it though! (Got any questions you want me to think about when I workout tomorrow?)

So far the workout I don't like is Plyometrics-the jumping around one. Everything else is fine. I feel like I get a good workout, but I don't feel like 'OMG I hate this'. Some exercises I feel like 'I'm supposed to be able to do that?!?!?' So I try, and at least learn what form/position to be in.

Thanks for the motivation mikalina! :D

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJ88PJ88 Posts: 1,074
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Pamela0222 wrote:

That's up for tomorrow. The book says "This is not a sit back and relax day" :? I'm up for it though! (Got any questions you want me to think about when I workout tomorrow?)

So far the workout I don't like is Plyometrics-the jumping around one. Everything else is fine. I feel like I get a good workout, but I don't feel like 'OMG I hate this'. Some exercises I feel like 'I'm supposed to be able to do that?!?!?' So I try, and at least learn what form/position to be in.

Thanks for the motivation mikalina! :D

Good work and keep going with it, you can do it! :D
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I found a cheap copy on eBay as I did bands and a pull up bar. I'm gonna give it a shot. Spent a total of $30...all brand new...probably stolen, but new! :lol:
    the yoga is probably my least favorite. It is the longest... and it really isnt easy and zen-like.

i do like the one you have after that: Legs and Back
    mca47 wrote:
    I found a cheap copy on eBay as I did bands and a pull up bar. I'm gonna give it a shot. Spent a total of $30...all brand new...probably stolen, but new! :lol:

yay! Then when you get your stuff, we can 'workout' and compare notes-if you want. I am posting here every day, I want to have some sort of accountability since I don't have a workout partner.

I love all the support and motivation you guys are giving me! Please don't expect any 'before' pics...I don't want to subject anybody the horror of me in a bikini... :lol: I don't mind posting any pounds/inches lost though.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

yay! Then when you get your stuff, we can 'workout' and compare notes-if you want. I am posting here every day, I want to have some sort of accountability since I don't have a workout partner.

I love all the support and motivation you guys are giving me! Please don't expect any 'before' pics...I don't want to subject anybody the horror of me in a bikini... :lol: I don't mind posting any pounds/inches lost though.
    I'd be happy to workout with you....remotely. :D
    I run 3-4 miles a day...have for years, but I'm looking for something to add to the mix. And....if you ever want to send me some bikini shots...I'll be more than happy to review! ;) hehehe!
    I should be getting me stuff in a few days.... I'll keep you posted.
    mca47 wrote:
    I'd be happy to workout with you....remotely. :D
    I run 3-4 miles a day...have for years, but I'm looking for something to add to the mix. And....if you ever want to send me some bikini shots...I'll be more than happy to review! ;) hehehe!
    I should be getting me stuff in a few days.... I'll keep you posted.

great! and you're already ahead of me...I have some weight to lose...I don't have a keg or pony keg looking belly...maybe more like growler sized...hahaha

running is not a favorite of mine. I absolutely LOVE the elliptical though! Used to go for 90 minutes every day. (med incline, level 6...think it ended up around 3 miles) Looking into buying a friend's machine now.

nice try...no bikini shots for anybody! :lol:

- Christopher McCandless
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Don't forget to check out Insanity ;)
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I took a look at this but there's not a hope I'd be able to do it! I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred... every second day :lol: I'm not in it for a fast weight loss, I need an attitude change - so I figure the slower I do it, the more likely I'll be to stick to it :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    DS1119 wrote:
    NEVER break proper form just to keep up.

+1
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
    DAY 4-YOGA

Mayday10, you're right, yoga isn't easy. An hour and a half. I did as many of the poses as I could, and now I realize that I have almost no balance whatsoever :lol: Still trying to figure out the 'Right Angle Pose to Extended Right Angle Pose and Grab'-I renamed it, 'pretzel twisty pose' I can't grab anything, or I'll fall over.

The beginning is tough, the last half is a bit easier. and he moves too fast from plank-downward dog-runners position-warrior...if I'm looking down it's tough to look up and see how he switches from all those positions, I'm in downward dog position, and before I know it, he's saying, "and point to the sky" :? WTF? I thought yoga was all about slow fluid movements.

I looked up and calculated my protein requirements...69 grams a day? Holy cow...protein shake 25 grams, an-den... :| I'm not a big carnivore, have to figure out other good protein sources.

- Christopher McCandless
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    RKCNDY wrote:
    have to figure out other good protein sources.

Beans-beans-beans & more beans, Cottage Cheese, Almonds but not too many - high in fat.
    But Lupini Beans, have 22 grams of protein per half cup (125ml). A can is 540ml. That's 80 plus grams of protein and they're delicious just on their own. Make sure to rinse them & don't the eat skin but you can. Eat them like you would sun flower seeds. They also contain 16 grams of fiber per half cup. :D
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
    you'll get the hang of Yoga pretty quickly where you will know the progression and the movements. Its much easier when you dont have to concentrate and figure out what they are doing
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Rygar wrote:

That was BA NA NAS yo!

haha I love me some Shaun T!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

That was BA NA NAS yo!

haha I love me some Shaun T!
    Nasty stuff!

"How you feeling?"
    "I want to leave."
    "You feelin insane yet? Lift with your core ...you want to leave?"
    DAY 5-LEGS & BACK

not bad, I now realize that I need more room. I'm working out in the guest bedroom so I don't have interruptions, and I'm gonna have to take the bed apart or something. Also, I don't know how I'm gonna use a pull-up bar in the room. The house is designed in a way that the guest bedroom door is at a 90 degree angle to the guest bathroom door (the frames are literally touching each other)....unless I'm gonna do pull-ups in the linen closet or something... :? Free weights are gonna have to work for now.

Ab Ripper X- :twisted: right now, my least favorite part. Gotta keep thinking 'I want a six pack. I want a six pack. I want a six pack' :lol:

Got my whey protein powder...smells like Slim Fast Vanilla, not bad. Glad it keeps me feeling full, I noticed, I don't have those sugar cravings as much. :D
    zarocat wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    have to figure out other good protein sources.

Beans-beans-beans & more beans, Cottage Cheese, Almonds but not too many - high in fat.
    But Lupini Beans, have 22 grams of protein per half cup (125ml). A can is 540ml. That's 80 plus grams of protein and they're delicious just on their own. Make sure to rinse them & don't the eat skin but you can. Eat them like you would sun flower seeds. They also contain 16 grams of fiber per half cup. :D

beans... :lol: the magical fruit, they make you toot! :lol: Not a huge fan of beans, I like kidney, garbanzo/chickpea, azuki and that's about it. I do have a bag of azuki beans, 17g of protein, 16.8g fiber per cup. Lots of other good nutrients too, zinc, potassium, magnesium, iron...read that they are called the 'weight loss bean'. I will search out the lupini beans though. Thanks zaro! :thumbup:

Tomorrow Kenpo...

- Christopher McCandless
    Got my pull up bar today. Boring news... :lol:
    Put it together in 5 mins and it works pretty good. Should I be using the bracket? My door mount/frame is pretty strong....I just put the bar up there and it seems sturdy... :?
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,986
    The only yoga workout I have ever done where sweat was literally running off the end of my nose to the point my glasses would not stay on!

I did the routine for about 2 months. It works, if you can walk the next day. Also be aware of aching shoulders. There are a ton of isolated and compound movements that can really take a toll on a body coming out of hibernation. Ease into it, and try not to act like the knucklehead... not too many folks can get that excited about an ass whooping!

Was waiting for a report on the Yoga day! Sucks huh!?

Also, I use IsoPure protein mix. Buy a big tub of the chocolate and one of the peach and mix em! It is the best protein for me, as it has ZERO cholesterol. I would not put some protein powders in the same cell as a death row inmate after reading the label!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    zarocat wrote:
    Try this out. It's great! And it doesn't take very long. It is an actual circuit used by the marines.
    You don't need the jump rope. You can just do the movement :D
    Eventually, in a short time, a few days, you won't need to rest between exercises but I recommend you do to start depending on your level of fitness. But try it ... lol

MARINE CORE CIRCUIT
    (5 minute cardio warm up followed by 6 exercises to complete warm up)

→ 5 minute jump rope
    → Dynamic Stretching - heels to bum while running on the spot - 10 reps
    → Lunges 10 reps
    → Arm rotations 10 reps forward
    → Cross body hugs 10 reps
    → Neck rotations 5 reps each side
    → Full body rotations 5 reps each side

ROUND ONE: (complete 8 sets of round one before moving on to round 2)
    SET: • push-ups (20 seconds) • 10 second rest • jumpin’ jacks (20 seconds) • 10 seconds rest
    • mountain climbers (20 seconds) • 10 second rest • scissor kicks (20 seconds)
    → one minute rest & repeat 7 times for a total of 8 sets • rest one minute and go to round two

ROUND TWO: (this is only 1 set - move on to round three without rest)
    • 20 Squats • 20 squat jumps • 20 lunges - 10 each side •

ROUND THREE: (1 set of static holds)
    • Push-up position - upright - until failure • lay flat back with heel 6 inches off floor - hold until failure

ROUND FOUR: Five minute jump rope.
    that's a good one, i've done it many, many times
    DAY 6-KENPO

bleh, don't hate it as much as plyometrics, but all the kicking, punching, blocking! I was one sweaty mofo at the end. I really wish the guy would slow down and show the difficult moves before he starts. Like, I just couldn't figure out the 'star punch block' thingie, he was going so fast...one of the last exercises, 'straight punch' he tells you the stance, and goes real slow, "and make a fist and punch straight ahead like this, ok? got it? and here we go..." really? I'm punching straight ahead and you think I can't figure that one out? :lol: I need to find the DVD remote to rewind/re-play some of the moves.

The workouts seem to fly by now, today when I finished I couldn't believe it had already been an hour.

I can already tell my bum is gonna be sore, and I'm gonna have a hard time walking tomorrow. :lol:

Lost 3 pounds since I started. (I weigh at the same time every 3 days) :thumbup:

Tomorrow...REST DAY!

The next 3 weeks will be a repeat of the last week.

mca-I dunno if you should use the bracket or not, I've seen the bars fall off the door frame, but the people were being stupid...lots of vids on youtube.

- Christopher McCandless
    I would recommend considering the stretch workout on your rest day... especially early on with all your aches and pains.

Keep up the momentum. The next 2-3 weeks will be the toughest to stick out. Your mind will play tricks on you and try to get you to justify quitting. Do not let yourself.

I got Yoga X after work. My least favorite.
  • I do both P90X and Insanity, most times both on the same night. After the first month I pretty must stopped doing some of the P90X workouts such as legs and back, plyo and yoga. Insanity does enough for my legs that I don't feel the need to do the leg workout on p90x. And the p90x plyo is easy compared to insanity, so that i skip too. I just double up on the chest and bicep workouts during the week and add kenpo and the core workout as "rest" days. I have no balance or flexibility for yoga, so I don't waste my time on a disc where I can't do half the moves. I follow insanity by the schedule, it's by far the best workout I've ever done. P90x i can do the workouts without taking a break, but insanity I have to pause once or twice to catch my breath (especially in month 2). Since P90x runs a month longer than Insanity, I decided to buy Insanity: Asylum to fill that void (thats only a 30 day workout). Haven't started that yet, but it looks rough
    1998: East Rutherford, MSG I, MSG II
    2000: Jones Beach I, Jones Beach II, Jones Beach III, Saratoga, Camden I, Camden II
    2003: Uniondale, MSG I, MSG II, Holmdel
    2006: Albany, Hartford, E. Rutherford I. E. Rutherford II
    2008: Camden II, MSG I, MSG II, Hartford, Mansfield II
    2009: Philadephia I, Philadelphia IV
    2010: Hartford, Boston, Newark, MSG I, MSG II
    2012: Philadelphia
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Hartford, Seattle
    2014: Detroit
    2015: Central Park
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Philadelphia II, MSG I, MSG II, Boston I
    2017: RRHOF
    Got my discs today....just waiting on my bands....then it's go-time! Hahaha

I read the nutrition book today and it forgot to mention alcohol! This could be tough! :lol:

I'm a very healthy person as it is, but I want me some booze from time to time! :D