Options

EUROPEAN TIX PRESALE FORUM DIALOGUE WITH PJ MGR KELLY CURTIS

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    rival. wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    look Kelly .. i'll shut up if you let my friend, and a lot of other people's friend on here, Boston Lou back onto the forums.

Why is he the only member banned for life? yet many other 'fans' have said and done much worse.. Lou is a big supporter of the PJ Community and has even had Ed wear his hat on stage... when the new forum came live perhaps we should have all started on a clean slate? Re-instate this charitable and friendly member and I'll stop moaning ;);)

I also think Kelly is bearing the brunt of our ire... he is not 100% responsible for this, but at least he is manning up.. to a point (the 2nd night question being evaded like a green cheese at a buffet aside)

:)

shared a cab with boston lou in philly '09. straight up awesome guy. i don't know if he was more proud of ed wearing his hat on stage or his then new born ;)

reinstate!

I don't know what is more crazy. The ticket fiascos or grown men throwing clothing at a band to wear? I don't get it.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I'm totally late to the party (both this topic and this controversy) but a few years back they had a system where it was "hey everyone, there might be a second show, we'll sell you 10c tickets to it, but if it doesn't happen you'll get a refund." Was there anything wrong with doing things that way?
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    over bends wrote:
    I'm totally late to the party (both this topic and this controversy) but a few years back they had a system where it was "hey everyone, there might be a second show, we'll sell you 10c tickets to it, but if it doesn't happen you'll get a refund." Was there anything wrong with doing things that way?

Button!
    Where's the "like"
    2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Denmark
    2007-06-26 Forum Copenhagen, Denmark
    2008-06-25 Madison Square GardenNew York
    2009-08-18 O2 Arena London, UK
    2010-06-25 Hyde Park London, UK
    2011-09-03 Alpine Valley Music Theatre
    2011-09-04 Alpine Valley Music Theatre
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    rival. wrote:

shared a cab with boston lou in philly '09. straight up awesome guy. i don't know if he was more proud of ed wearing his hat on stage or his then new born ;)

reinstate!

I don't know what is more crazy. The ticket fiascos or grown men throwing clothing at a band to wear? I don't get it.

if i remember the video correctly, ed asked him to toss it on stage. either way, cool experience for a fan.

much different than 70 year old women throwing their panties at tom jones ;)
  • Options
    andriesk wrote:
    Hi Kelly,

this shows balls, humility and intelligence...no wonder youre Pearl Jam's manager.

I only have one question....on this upcoming tour, and for the forseeable future, would you consider opening as support, giving lectures on buisness and letting us all know exactly how you keep this juggernaut running? As far as I know, PJ havent cancelled many of the endless shows they play, do the Bridge thing every year, and give us consistently good music and ephemera year after year. And when something does go wrong, its because you havent made enough of a limited edition or an outside company has had some problems. That you went to another company to try and make things better for us is what counts; it failed and im sure youve learnt from it.

I understand peoples frustrations, I dont like hitting refresh for 90 minutes, missing out on tickets and not knowing why. Id rather do that though than wait for 10 years for a tour or whatever like some bands put their fans through. I think this band does too much for its fans in all honestly, because theres a massive sense of entitlement in some quarters. You give us another show - another show! - and noone says thanks, they say why werent we told, will we get our bonuses? And hey can we have more white backspacers and can the band come to each of our homes and say their sorry for something thats out of all your hands?

I wouldnt blame you at this point if you slowed down on the fan club bonuses. The more you give, the more a few fans will take, including the p*ss.

Anyway my real question is:

Can you make some more deluxe blurays? ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sawyer wrote:
    I feel sometimes we are given 1/2 truths about touring info.....like as an American I feel tempted to go to Europe but when I do I know a US tour will be announced. Could this info be given out in a more timely manner? Why in this band's 20th anniversary have they not hit their home city?
    we cannot announce everything at once because we don't alway know what we are doing … once we get through routing, venues, time period , personal schedules.. we move on to the next.. this band has never planned very far ahead.. thus keeping it real and fresh always.. and not one big treadmill obligation….

This tour strategy is understandable from a band perspective, and if it keeps the band together longer, that is great. But everyone should understand that it is going to lead to a lot of anger and complaining from the fan base, especially those who don't live in the Northeast USA, West Coast USA, and Europe apparently.

I flew to San Diego to see Ed back in 2008. It would have been nice to know later in the year that he was coming to Chicago which was a two hour drive. It was a decision I made and no one else's so I'm not blaming anyone but myself for not being patient. But for a band that loves the fans (and they do), maybe they could try to map out their schedules a little faster so that their fans can plan better. Pearl Jam is a band that tours. I would think it comes with the territory. And these tours are only three weeks long at the most. How do other bands seem to handle world tours every year then (referencing the planning you mentioned that takes so long)?

But if this is the schedule that keeps the band together, then by all means do it.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Sloth2 wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:
    Kelly---Do you think the band hiring 'friends' early in their career has caught up with them from a competent business standpoint?

Bit ridiculous this comment

Why is this a ridiculous comment? I think this is actually a fair question.

If a job evolves, sometimes changes have to be made. To add more qualified people into the organization might be a good idea. To ignore change isn't the best approach.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    Sawyer wrote:

why would we come up with the ideas? YOU'RE THEIR MANAGER! I'm a school teacher and wouldn't ask you how to teach a good WWI lesson on trench warfare.

Sawyer wrote:
    my statement bashed Kelly how?

um, condescending much?

actually, I gotta go with Sawyer on this one. that was clearly a troubling answer. the man has been the band's manager for 20 years in the music business, and he's mocking the fans by asking them if they have any better ideas? Kinda like Tim did when he told us to start our own band if we didn't like how things were.

it wasn't necessary for Kelly to say that. I think Sawyer's comment was right on the money. If I call a plumber to my house for a water leak and he asked me how to fix it I'd kick his ass out the door.

YEP-100
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    over bends wrote:

I believe the answer to that was: I got cocky in the past and we can't presume anything in this economy.

Yeah, I am not sure I got it either.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Hopper wrote:
    Mr. Curtis- I appreciate your willingness to listen and respond to the core base...

the ticketing issues did not just suddenly arise with this sale, in fact, there have been issues with ticket sales for several years...the responses from the 10c seem to be "stuff happens"...or no response at all...or, "so many people trying to get a small number of tickets, sorry"...but we are talking about multiple sales, over at least 6 years that have been disastrous...

my questions:

Does the band know about the numerous ticket sale fiascos that have taken place over the past years, and why was it not a concern until now?

Can you and the band implement a more "open" line of communication between the 10c and the fans/forums?...it seems like there is a very strict policy of any release of infomation by moderators...when they are the closest to the fan base and can easily clear up misconceptions and falsities...

How is information passed from band management to 10c management...official press release? email? phone call? snail mail letter?

Who is responsible for updating the website, and why is there no consistency in respect to when items are released and the announment of such releases?
    you are not wrong at all… we have been chasing this thing every year since technology became a player and the primary way people purchase tickets… info comes in at all times and places….. and we have to make sure . depending on what the subject that it is correct and that the band.. the whole band has signed off.. that can be a task in itself...

I'm going to use this response to stick up for Tim. People on here think the Ten Club has total autonomy. No, they don't. Lack of information is not because Tim wants to keep us in the dark. Lack of information is because he is passing on someone else's schedule and statement. So, let's cut Tim some slack here. We don't know what his ideas have been, and what was turned down by the band, who are clearly the decision makers by this statement. Maybe Tim has said, "let's order more PJ20 vinyls", and the response he gets from the band is that we don't want to risk too much inventory on the shelves. We just don't know. What we do know is the band has the final say.

And now that I've thought about it a few days, I don't really fault the Ten Club anymore for the CrowdSurge ticket mess. They must unfortunately take ownership of it, but they are trying to keep from going to a lotto system and I commend them.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    meme wrote:
    over bends wrote:

I believe the answer to that was: I got cocky in the past and we can't presume anything in this economy.

Really weird response. Especially given that it's no harm, no foul if there is no 2nd show.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    over bends wrote:
    meme wrote:
    over bends wrote:

Really weird response. Especially given that it's no harm, no foul if there is no 2nd show.

Maybe other than admitting the popularity isn't as big as they thought.
  • Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    Thanks for this thread, a few points:
    1) Why no warning of 2nd Manchester show?
    2) Is anything happening regarding compensating fans who have not got tenclub tickets for the tour?
    3) Why were tickets sold this close to Christmas?
    4) Why no news following the Crowdsurge Cock up for so long? (some of us lost a lot of sleep and money over this).
    Cheers Big Mick.
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Options
    SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    I owned this thread.......yes, I'm a virgin
  • Options
    mh210105 wrote:
    Thanks for this thread, a few points:
    1) Why no warning of 2nd Manchester show?
    2) Is anything happening regarding compensating fans who have not got tenclub tickets for the tour?
    3) Why were tickets sold this close to Christmas?
    4) Why no news following the Crowdsurge Cock up for so long? (some of us lost a lot of sleep and money over this).
    Cheers Big Mick.

These were all answered. Check out DriftingbytheStorm's summary thread of all of the answers.

Except for the Christmas question.
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    rival. wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    look Kelly .. i'll shut up if you let my friend, and a lot of other people's friend on here, Boston Lou back onto the forums.

Why is he the only member banned for life? yet many other 'fans' have said and done much worse.. Lou is a big supporter of the PJ Community and has even had Ed wear his hat on stage... when the new forum came live perhaps we should have all started on a clean slate? Re-instate this charitable and friendly member and I'll stop moaning ;);)

I also think Kelly is bearing the brunt of our ire... he is not 100% responsible for this, but at least he is manning up.. to a point (the 2nd night question being evaded like a green cheese at a buffet aside)

reinstate!

Boston Lou, i loved that guy :twisted:
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:

actually, I gotta go with Sawyer on this one. that was clearly a troubling answer. the man has been the band's manager for 20 years in the music business, and he's mocking the fans by asking them if they have any better ideas? Kinda like Tim did when he told us to start our own band if we didn't like how things were.

it wasn't necessary for Kelly to say that. I think Sawyer's comment was right on the money. If I call a plumber to my house for a water leak and he asked me how to fix it I'd kick his ass out the door.

YEP-100

He wasn't mocking us. He was sincerely asking for the fans input for brainstorming ideas. It's what good mgrs do.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    He wasn't mocking us. He was sincerely asking for the fans input for brainstorming ideas. It's what good mgrs do.

This. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly never does anything like this again. Some people were really disrespectful.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Better Dan wrote:

This. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly never does anything like this again. Some people were really disrespectful.
    yeah...cos people instead of use their brain and ask as many question they could about the tour,how is things and etc,now we have in the forum the manager of the band,ask why he do that for europe and not for usa tour and why Tim isnt fired yet...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    Hi Dan,

He had to know that this would happen....I think Kelly should do this once a month...Just to keep everyone in the loop....Since we know Tim isn't going to give us any info..

Jeremy
  • Options
    Hi Dan,

He had to know that this would happen....I think Kelly should do this once a month...Just to keep everyone in the loop....Since we know Tim isn't going to give us any info..

Jeremy

after today i doubt he would. way too much disrespect. "diane sawyer" over there asking the hard hitting questions... yeah, real classy! :roll:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    droptheleash2216droptheleash2216 Honesdale, PA Posts: 95
    I give Kelly a lot of props for taking some time (which if I'm him I'd like back) to answer some questions from a minority of the fan base that act like entitled children. This just shows how unbelievably fan focused this band is and why we need to APPRECIATE them and the great people at the 10Club. If you go back 10 years plus you would realize this band has revolutionized the fan experience. We have all been shut out on 10club tickets and LE merchandise....get over it, life is not about getting everything you want all the time. Pearl Jam gives you the ability to buy the best seats in the house at face value not for hundreds or thousands scalped.
    So have some Holiday spirit, stop wasting your time complaining and realize that it makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    edited December 2011
    rival. wrote:

reinstate!

i don't know what's more crazy people hitting F5 for hours on end... or people not know what they're talking about

check the vid... Ed begs for the hat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikgOHJrS ... ature=plcp

:wave: :clap: :thumbup:
    Post edited by PillowPants on
  • Options
    Thanks Kelly for doing this and for saying going back to post cards is under consideration. Itd be nice to break up w my f5 and backspacer for awhile. Have a colleague who is a deadhead and actually can get work done when tix go onsale. Cheers and Happy Xmas.
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

yeah...cos people instead of use their brain and ask as many question they could about the tour,how is things and etc,now we have in the forum the manager of the band,ask why he do that for europe and not for usa tour and why Tim isnt fired yet...

even you veered off the topic. You asked why no Greece tour dates. so you are just as guilty here of what you speak.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Q: You'd sell out in Israel, too. Try it for a change.
    ;)
  • Options
    [even you veered off the topic. You asked why no Greece tour dates. so you are just as guilty here of what you speak.
    i ask how they plan the euro tour,about countries...not complain about things nothing to do with euro tour
    and after they add moreshows,maybe more countries will be in..like 2006..my country show added aftyer the first announcement of 2006 tour
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    [even you veered off the topic. You asked why no Greece tour dates. so you are just as guilty here of what you speak.
    i ask how they plan the euro tour,about countries...not complain about things nothing to do with euro tour

ok, but to be fair, the topic was about the euro ticket presale, not just european touring in general. just saying man. if you veer off topic, you veer off topic, no grey area.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    kelly

as a very avid collector can i have a glow in the dark pj20...i cant afford to buy one..

please please pleassssssssssse
    Mr. Curtis, I think this should be your #1 priority :mrgreen:
  • Options

ok, but to be fair, the topic was about the euro ticket presale, not just european touring in general. just saying man. if you veer off topic, you veer off topic, no grey area.
    they add dates...maybe more...and i want to know if will add more..i know that Greece isnt i ..but
    if they add more...sure we need to know..cos there is no presale,and we learn it from ticketmaster..
    we need to plan the tour,our travel...i kow how hard is,,21 shows,20 of them i use my passport to see the band...so need to know before i book everything if they gonna play more shows and where..
    its a question has to do with no presale and announcement...
    you think of topic..its ok..no problem here..just i explain how i think of it
This discussion has been closed.