24/7 RANGERS /FLYERS..RANGERS WIN WINTER CLASSIC!!

Comments

• I looked up playoff series results since the current format was installed in 1994. The team with home ice advantage in the series is 165-90, for a .647 series winning percentage. Now the argument is how much of that is because the team with home ice advantage is better to begin with...

Anyways, I seem to have disproven my argument here. :lol:

So, who plays in the 2013 WC? How about Tampa Bay vs. Florida at the Marlins new ballpark? It's got a retractable roof ya know. :idea:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I looked up playoff series results since the current format was installed in 1994. The team with home ice advantage in the series is 165-90, for a .647 series winning percentage. Now the argument is how much of that is because the team with home ice advantage is better to begin with...

So, who plays in the 2013 WC? How about Tampa Bay vs. Florida at the Marlins new ballpark? It's got a retractable roof ya know. :idea:

that high? i wonder what it is by round. :|
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    The Fixer wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Statistics can be manipulated however you want. Everyone keeps referring to "recent". What's recent? Home ice advantage is huge. Sorry. You can throw out all the "recent stats" you want but you won't convince me otherwise.

way to back up your stance.

'home ice is huge'

brilliant

Seems that one of your fellow Philly fans found the numbers. Anything else? :roll:
    I looked up playoff series results since the current format was installed in 1994. The team with home ice advantage in the series is 165-90, for a .647 series winning percentage. Now the argument is how much of that is because the team with home ice advantage is better to begin with...

Couldn't find it but thatnks for posting. :thumbup:
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Couldn't find it but thatnks for posting. :thumbup:

I found something similar last year when I was rooting for the Flyers to GET the #1 seed, and then they got swept in the 2nd round despite starting the series at home.

One more home ice factoid: all-time the Flyers are 3-20 in Stanley Cup Finals road games, which helps explain why they have lost six series in a row (they are 1-16 in road games in those 6 series, a record that would get you the #1 draft choice in the NFL).

Welp, plenty of time to pass the Rangers and get the #1 seed. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Really random thought. The most disappointing thing for me was after the game on the post game when they picked up the "snow" and it was cotton. Bring in a fucking snow machine you cheap fucks. For no real reason, that pissed me off.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Really random thought. The most disappointing thing for me was after the game on the post game when they picked up the "snow" and it was cotton. Bring in a fucking snow machine you cheap fucks. For no real reason, that pissed me off.

I disgustingly turned off the TV immediately after the game ended and didn't see that.

Another random thought:
    Just wondering, why is it so hard to maintain a rink in 40-ish degree weather when they easily maintain one in a 68-degree building for months, even throwing a basketball court on top of it all the time?

Cliffy6745 wrote:

I disgustingly turned off the TV immediately after the game ended and didn't see that.

Another random thought:
    Just wondering, why is it so hard to maintain a rink in 40-ish degree weather when they easily maintain one in a 68-degree building for months, even throwing a basketball court on top of it all the time?

seems liked everyone was skating in slow motion...and that puck was bouncing all over the place.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,729
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Another random thought:

Yeah, that annoyed me

Damn, my time down there giving tours of the Wachovia Center to potential clients paid off. I know the answer to this. Indoor hockey rinks have about 5 miles of copper pipes under the surface that are kept incredibly cold to keep it cold from the bottom up. Most youth rinks dont have such sophisticated systems so that is why it is much colder in youth rinks. Once the season is over they heat the pipes up to make the process much quicker. Turn it into slush and bulldoze it out.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Another random thought:

Don't know. Good question.
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Another random thought:

seems liked everyone was skating in slow motion...and that puck was bouncing all over the place.

The norm is the pucks are frozen and kept on ice so I'm not sure why they were bouncing. I didn't really think the action was slow though. Overall, I thought it was a well played game on both sides...can't say the same for the action in the creases though! :P
  • DS1119 wrote:
    can't say the same for the action in the creases though! :P

Yeah, our goalies suck. Nice work Sherlock.

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    road teams are 4-1 in the wc
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    road teams are 4-1 in the wc

:lol:
    ‎"Just the enormity of it - the little bit of snowfall and the wind in my face. All that stuff and just being outside. It was an amazing feeling and I'll never forget it." -Richards on his game-winning goal in the 2012 NHL Winter Classic.
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/74213 ... -game-1975

WOW 5th most watched game since 75!!! HENRY!!!
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Another random thought:

Maintaining in an enclosed building is one thing but having to deal with freeze/thaw cycles caused by direct sunlight, humidity, wind, it all factors in, not including the fact that the two systems used to create the ice (inside a rink and outside) are similar but in many ways completely different.

I was on the ice last night and have to say it was the hardest ice I've ever skated on. So I can see why pucks started to bounce as the game went on. And there were quite a few ruts and problem areas especially right inside the Rangers blue line. I was also surprised how quickly the ice got torn up and developed a snow build up and skate trails.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.

that reminds me....seems we had a big debate last year on nhl viewer ship and somebody claiming last years classic was the most watched hockey game of all time. :lol:

can't find the thread now. :evil:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS2jRUqC ... ture=share
    :lol:

dam show is not on till tomorrow night.....and we will be at the game :twisted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq4PLa25 ... _embedded#!

bathgate proved my comments about a good amount of "fans"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,797

I felt something was off when Michael Kay said it was the 5th lowest rated Winter Classic game on his show.
    I miss igotid88
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq4PLa253WI&feature=player_embedded#!

catching the dirt bags that assaulted the ranger fans looks promising:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2012/1 ... er-classic
    rival. wrote:

i hate douche bags
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    rival. wrote:

Again I don't know the circumstances of the altercation...shit happens some times. But if this is one of the guys in the video fighing he may win the "stupid guy award" for 2012 already. Just shut up about the fight and it goes away. Now I hope this idiot gets arrested and fined. Stupid asshole. Keep your mouth shut.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    flyers fans paid a homeless guy to spray water on the rangers fans, things exploded from there. quality human beings. apparantly the one rangers fan that was knocked cold is a cop in northern new jersey. another reason i don't get the wearing of jerseys that so many feel they have to do today. not saying anyone asks for this type of neananderthal behavior but to me it's just dumb. and i've been to plenty of road games. these punks in the flyers jerseys will be caught and prosecurted for sure. dumbasses.

edit: and now apparantly one of the dbag flyers fans posted on facebook that he was one who was in the fight. what an idiot.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    DS1119 wrote:
    rival. wrote:

Again I don't know the circumstances of the altercation...shit happens some times. But if this is one of the guys in the video fighing he may win the "stupid guy award" for 2012 already. Just shut up about the fight and it goes away. Now I hope this idiot gets arrested and fined. Stupid asshole. Keep your mouth shut.

keep your mouth shut about the fight?

:?:

ok i respect your opinion.

heres mine ;
    how about not getting to this point of physical assault in the first place ?
    Where you 'jump' an opposing team fanatic, who is in your town to spend money ?

couldnt they just talk about how great of a hockey game it was
    regardless off the outcome,
    and what a great job the city of philly did for the Classic?
    which was imeediately over shadowed by some drunk tool(s) get out of control.

LETS GO RANGERS
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    that's why we got out of town....hanging around when half the town is all drunk can only lead to bad things

i know the cheesesteaks are awesome...but they are not worth going to the hospital

as soon as we stepped out of our van some red headed flyers tools started yelling rangers suck ..you suck ..all drunk and stupid....we literally got into an argument 3 seconds after stepping out of the van....new world record

its the booze man...that shit is the devil
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    its the booze man...that shit is the devil

are you suggesting more flyer fans should start smoking the herb??? :mrgreen:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

keep your mouth shut about the fight?

:?:

ok i respect your opinion.

heres mine ;
    how about not getting to this point of physical assault in the first place ?
    Where you 'jump' an opposing team fanatic, who is in your town to spend money ?

couldnt they just talk about how great of a hockey game it was
    regardless off the outcome,
    and what a great job the city of philly did for the Classic?
    which was imeediately over shadowed by some drunk tool(s) get out of control.

LETS GO RANGERS

i believe the keep your mouth shut was in refrerence to the idiot that posted on facebook that he did it. if that idiot doesn't say anything, maybe, he gets away with it...assuming it was him. dumbass
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg