Options

What does God look like ?

Comments

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Cosmo wrote:
    This is what I've been thinking all along Cosmo. And it was ignored when I suggested that if I disagree with two Bible quotes that Ifind ludicrous, why should I not ask question, which could be taken as criticism. Furthermore, I'd call it constructive criticism. Even if someone suggests God is a crutch, why get upset about what that person believes enough to call them a person who acts out of fear? If someone told me PJ was a crutch for me, it wouldnt bother me if it were true or not -- just someone pointing out how they perceive my obsession.
    Exactly. We question those things we find questionable.
    And maybe some people need God as a crutch... their reliance on God to get them through tough times works for them. Nothing wrong with that. If it gets them to better days, it's good.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    A Crutch:
    1099870-crutch_large.jpg

:lol:

Problem was it was used in a derogatory way showing believers as being weak for the need.

This a good example of the need to put down others.
    Hmmm I wonder if that is a crutch?

I mostly wonder why that need exists at all :?
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    pandora wrote:
    Problem was it was used in a derogatory way showing believers as being weak for the need.

This a good example of the need to put down others. Hmmm I wonder if that is a crutch?

If that is how Byrnize sees God... who's to say otherwise?
    Were you offended by his response?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,413
    edited December 2011
    pandora wrote:
    satirical - exposing human folly to ridicule; "a persistent campaign of mockery nice word for being insulting ... pretty much what I have said yes... ridicule
    I'll accept that the word "ridicule" in that particular definition undermines my point a bit, if you accept that "human folly" undermines yours. But I don't think that it stands to reason that satire is therefore inherently bad or without social value.
    pandora wrote:
    And again why come to ridicule others beliefs? :?
    Why mockery when this thread was created with
    a positive intention for those who wanted to share their ideas about God.
    And again, I didn't, nor did others. As I said, and many others said, ridicule was not the intention. Accept it, get over it, and stop labouring the point.
    Also, if that is how people view God, then their opinion and perception of God is just as valid as yours, even if it doesn't jive with yours.
    pandora wrote:
    I chose to accept that the information my senses and my reason provided me with was not compatible with the belief in the existence of God.

and when your senses tell you otherwise you will then believe?
    and if , then yes, I would be foolish to delude myself otherwise. If God were to show up on my doorstep, I'd hardly manage to maintain unbelief, now, would I? I think it's fairly unlikely, however.

You see, the fact of the matter is that I didn't choose not to believe. I wanted to believe, desperately - and I did believe, for 20 years. But I learned things that weren't comfortable for me to know and I thought things that maybe I'd rather not have thought, and at the end of it all, as uncomfortable as it made me, as much as I would have chosen otherwise if I could have, I couldn't honestly deny that my beliefs had changed, not by choice, and that I couldn't truthfully say I believed that there was a god. So, believe me, I know that belief is not a matter of choice. in the same way that I can't just choose to believe one day to believe that the sea is made of jelly and expect it to be true, I can't just choose to believe in god again.

To truly believe something, you have to have a reason to believe it. Any reason I had to believe in God has long ago been argued away, and there's no way to unlearn the things that argued it away. At this point, I would no longer want to because it would be dishonest to my beliefs.
    Post edited by wolfamongwolves on
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,381
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:

This a good example of the need to put down others. Hmmm I wonder if that is a crutch?

The fact is Pandora , that YOUR perception is one that believes it is derogatory. Perception is not truth, although I saw it the same as you did.

excellent example provided immediately after the italicized statement Pandora.

Why, time after time after time, you persist in persueing these things from people expressing themselves freely , I'll never know. Food for thought.

I recall a lyric somewhere that went something like this , " if you hate something , dont you do it too"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    buy-a-mirror.jpg
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:

And I see bullies ... who is to say otherwise?

We all have our opinions.

I am stating mine.

Yes I believe to some they think God is a crutch to those who believe.
    To others who also do not believe they can see that is not the case.
    Pretty much the amount of compassion and understanding one has dictates that.

Like the PJ crutch analogy ...
    I think many would not liken the love the fans
    have for PJ as a crutch but more a fulfilling meaningful part of their lives.

This is what many nonbelievers know to be true for believers.
    It comes down to acceptance and love for others and being at peace
    with ones own beliefs and that of others, imo
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    buy-a-mirror.jpg
    Hey Lizard? Theres no reflection. Does that mean I'm a vampire? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:

The fact is Pandora , that YOUR perception is one that believes it is derogatory. Perception is not truth, although I saw it the same as you did.

Why, time after time after time, you persist in persueing these things from people expressing themselves freely , I'll never know. Food for thought.

I recall a lyric somewhere that went something like this , " if you hate something , dont you do it too"
    you guys so funny it was derogatory no perception about it

expressing freely is wonderful ...

gee I would love that! Of course it would have to be nice ;)

Can everyone play nice? If so great :D
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    buy-a-mirror.jpg
    Hey Lizard? Theres no reflection. Does that mean I'm a vampire? :mrgreen:
    Yes. Yes it does.
    wanna bite my neck?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    pandora wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

feel that strongly about it then report. I would tend think you might be tired of this. I'm quite sure that horse is dead.

Can everyone play nice? Its possible. The real question is will they? The answer is no , they wont. we are human.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    If God were to show up on my doorstep, I'd hardly manage to maintain unbelief, now, would I? I think it's fairly unlikely, however.
    You are have said you are basing your belief on your senses
    is that then your 5 senses?
    Don't discount the existence of God based on that.

We have a long long way to go

imo
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    pandora wrote:

feel that strongly about it then report. I would tend think you might be tired of this. I'm quite sure that horse is dead.

Can everyone play nice? Its possible. The real question is qill they? The answer is no , they wont. we are human.
    I don't report but I will point out
    when I think there are meanies about ;)

that rhymes 8-)

yes yes the dead horse ... so why do people keep asking more from each other?
    That is the best question of all.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pandora wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    A Crutch:
    1099870-crutch_large.jpg

This a good example of the need to put down others.
    Hmmm I wonder if that is a crutch?

guess i missed the memo that said God = no humour.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

I know you like sarcasm and maybe being satirical too
    I don't know

for me ... that's not humor ...

not if there is even a chance of someone being offended
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:

I know a good number of people having god as a crutch, my mother having been one of them. And yes, it was a weakness insofar as it was a way of not having to deal with 'reality'. Much easier - god's will rather than my lack of will. And before one comments on what I say of my mother - there is no bitterness or anything. Just an observation made about her and a number of theists regarding their 'use' of god. But as it has been said before, if this is the way one can deal with things, then so be it - gets them through life.

pandora wrote:
    If God were to show up on my doorstep, I'd hardly manage to maintain unbelief, now, would I? I think it's fairly unlikely, however.
    You are have said you are basing your belief on your senses
    is that then your 5 senses?
    Don't discount the existence of God based on that.

We have a long long way to go

imo

I think Wolfy said 'Belief is a passive response to the information your senses and your reason and intelligence provide you with'

I really don't think he was talking about the 5 senses, ie hearing, sight, touch, smell, and taste. I think you know that too.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

I don't know

see for me adam sandler=no humour.

and tbh i think we all wouldve been a little disappointed if byrnzie hadnt posted something controversial. and i think i was more laughing at the fact that he posted the crutch rather than the crutch itself. i know christians are under attack but you gotta lighten up a bit... or not i guess, cause clearly you were offended.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    puremagic wrote:
    Isn’t God meant to instill fear Man? Isn’t this the backbone of the meaning to the reference ‘I’ll put the fear of God in you’ when God, Man and Church dictates punishment? Isn’t this the crutch of our modern crusade around the world? We play God everyday because we’ve created God in our image. People aren’t afraid of the concept of God; people have become woeful of MAN’s manipulation of the God factor to justify their means to an end.

Religion has replaced God, if not, then why are there so many religions and supposedly only one God? Is it because we have a need to personalize things, we’ve created our own concept of the God factor, its meaning and its interpretation to the point that it has become a ‘my God is better than your God’ mentality? If not, what’s the point in having Catholics, Christians, Baptists, Protestants or Evangelists - Why aren’t we all Jewish?

cause 'we' all worship CHRIST. which makes us christians.

catholics, baptists, protestants and evangelists are all christian. why we arent all jewish is cause of the worship of jesus christ. jesus was a jew.. those who worship/ped him are CHRISTian. in the beginning they were all small 'c' catholic. this was derived from the greek word katholikos, which means universal. time passed and schisms appeared within the christian/catholic church. those small 'c' catholics who remained true to the original church became big 'C' catholics, as other denominations appeared and identified themselves as lutheran, protestant, baptists, whatever.

So is your response the essence of the personalization of religion; look at your statement, if all these named Christian religions believe in God and Jesus, why the need for different denominations? What separates them from all being called Catholics if they’re all Christians?
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    And I see bullies ... who is to say otherwise?
    We all have our opinions.

I am stating mine.
    Yes I believe to some they think God is a crutch to those who believe.
    To others who also do not believe they can see that is not the case.
    Pretty much the amount of compassion and understanding one has dictates that.

Like the PJ crutch analogy ...
    I think many would not liken the love the fans
    have for PJ as a crutch but more a fulfilling meaningful part of their lives.

This is what many nonbelievers know to be true for believers.
    It comes down to acceptance and love for others and being at peace
    with ones own beliefs and that of others, imo
    This pretty much sums it all up.
    You see the crutch thing as bullying... is this because you are taking this reference personally? It's not because you have an issue with Brynzie, right?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    puremagic wrote:
    puremagic wrote:
    Isn’t God meant to instill fear Man? Isn’t this the backbone of the meaning to the reference ‘I’ll put the fear of God in you’ when God, Man and Church dictates punishment? Isn’t this the crutch of our modern crusade around the world? We play God everyday because we’ve created God in our image. People aren’t afraid of the concept of God; people have become woeful of MAN’s manipulation of the God factor to justify their means to an end.

Religion has replaced God, if not, then why are there so many religions and supposedly only one God? Is it because we have a need to personalize things, we’ve created our own concept of the God factor, its meaning and its interpretation to the point that it has become a ‘my God is better than your God’ mentality? If not, what’s the point in having Catholics, Christians, Baptists, Protestants or Evangelists - Why aren’t we all Jewish?

cause 'we' all worship CHRIST. which makes us christians.

catholics, baptists, protestants and evangelists are all christian. why we arent all jewish is cause of the worship of jesus christ. jesus was a jew.. those who worship/ped him are CHRISTian. in the beginning they were all small 'c' catholic. this was derived from the greek word katholikos, which means universal. time passed and schisms appeared within the christian/catholic church. those small 'c' catholics who remained true to the original church became big 'C' catholics, as other denominations appeared and identified themselves as lutheran, protestant, baptists, whatever.

So is your response the essence of the personalization of religion; look at your statement, if all these named Christian religions believe in God and Jesus, why the need for different denominations? What separates them from all being called Catholics if they’re all Christians?

are you familiar with martin luther and the reformation?? how due to his great dissatisfaction with the Church's abuse of granting indulgences he felt it necessary to voluntarily leave the Church and seek what he considered the 'true' path. he rejected amongst other things, the sacraments and the hierachy of the priesthood including the papacy and sought God only through the bible which he saw as the sole rule of faith. even before this though was the east-west schism which resulted in the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church. and it was the Roman Catholic Church luther had the problem with. so in answer to your question, in a way yes it is about the personalisation of religion. for if people did not become disillusioned with their Church for whatever reason, new denominations would not be formed. and if one felt the need to seek God only through the bible then the need for the different denominations would disappear. however because we are a social animal, Churches offer us that need and to do so with like minded people.
    christianity isnt the only religion where these types of divisions occur though.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    no I just see bullying

no to me taking anything personally, not much offends me
    I feel it was directed at those of religion
    which belittles their faith... I take offense at others
    being belittled or mocked.

love is not a crutch
    that is offensive and describes love as something much less than
    the absolute power it is

I felt 'wolves' was speaking of his 5 senses because he has expressed the
    need for proof ... doorstep analogy

intelligence and reasoning can hinder one from feeling
    as do the five senses
    as the reply to 'feeling' God was made ...
    not understanding the concept or what that is.

in my opinion
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    no I just see bullying

no to me taking anything personally, not much offends me I feel it was directed at those of religion
    which belittles their faith... I take offense at others being belittled or mocked.

love is not a crutch that is offensive and describes love as something much less than the absolute power it is

I felt 'wolves' was speaking of his 5 senses because he has expressed the need for proof ... doorstep analogy

intelligence and reasoning can hinder one from feeling as do the five senses as the reply to 'feeling' God was made ...not understanding the concept or what that is.
    Okay. You see Brynzie's picture of God as bullying... even if he truely does see God as a crutch. Got it.
    And if nothing offends you... why be offended by the crutch thing? 'For others'? What others?
    As for this:
    "intelligence and reasoning can hinder one from feeling as do the five senses as the reply to 'feeling' God was made ...not understanding the concept or what that is".
    You may beliveve this to be true, but in reality, understanding only comes with intelligence and your capabilities of reasoning and logic... without intelligence, you cannot understand. You may be able to feel something without thinking about it, but, you must possess intelligence in order to understand it.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    no I just see bullying

no to me taking anything personally, not much offends me I feel it was directed at those of religion
    which belittles their faith... I take offense at others being belittled or mocked.

love is not a crutch that is offensive and describes love as something much less than the absolute power it is

I felt 'wolves' was speaking of his 5 senses because he has expressed the need for proof ... doorstep analogy

intelligence and reasoning can hinder one from feeling as do the five senses as the reply to 'feeling' God was made ...not understanding the concept or what that is.
    Okay. You see Brynzie's picture of God as bullying... even if he truely does see God as a crutch. Got it.
    And if nothing offends you... why be offended by the crutch thing? 'For others'? What others?
    As for this:
    "intelligence and reasoning can hinder one from feeling as do the five senses as the reply to 'feeling' God was made ...not understanding the concept or what that is".
    You may beliveve this to be true, but in reality, understanding only comes with intelligence and your capabilities of reasoning and logic... without intelligence, you cannot understand. You may be able to feel something without thinking about it, but, you must possess intelligence in order to understand it.
    are you playing 'not all there' with me :lol:

cause my words explain exactly what I mean :? perhaps read again
    I don't think I mentioned Brynzie but you do a lot.

and that is your opinion ... that it is through reasoning and intelligence that one understands
    that is your box that is your reality
    I disagree and will stick with my opinion ... those are the exact things that can hinder
    feeling as do the five senses
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    pandora wrote:

I don't know

ah. so...we should conform to your idea of humour, lest we be accused of being offensive, insulting, rude, condescending, cruel, disrespectful, bullying, derogatory, silly, defensive, lacking common sense, fearful, ridiculing meanies? (am I missing any of your adjectives from this thread?)...I’ll work on incorporating floating butterflies into my thoughts on God, just for you.

You must have a strong distaste for stand up comedy.

I have no problem placing faith in the One I believe created in the infinite universe. If He told me to place my faith in Him and not lean on my own understanding, I can accept that.

God is alot bigger than the tiny box society puts Him in.
    Did He tell you to do that?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    pandora wrote:
    are you playing 'not all there' with me :lol:

cause my words explain exactly what I mean :? perhaps read again
    I don't think I mentioned Brynzie but you do a lot.

and that is your opinion ... that it is through reasoning and intelligence that one understands
    that is your box that is your reality
    I disagree and will stick with my opinion ... those are the exact things that can hinder
    feeling as do the five senses
    Brynzie, because you pulled up the example of ridicule and mockery and you only see him as bullying... don't you remember this? I mean, it was earlier today... not a couple of weeks ago.
    And your words... pretty vague at best. From what you have written, it seems as though you are transfering feelings of riducule and mockery due to the God = Crutch picture that Brynzie posted and relating them to some past experiences you may have had with being bullied or persecuted. Saying that it makes you think, not of yourself, but of others is a way of saying you do not feel ridiculed... but, you do. Your words tell me that you are transferring those feelings to Brynzie as a coping mechanism and find solice in calling him a bully, linking the feelings to have today with the hurt you've felt in the past.
    Using reasoning instead of feeling to sort out those things would lead to understanding. That is intelligence leading to understanding... not feelings.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here. Because based upon the words you have written... that is what I'm getting.
    Failure in understanding that the two are completely unrelated.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    pandora wrote:

I don't know

ah. so...we should conform to your idea of humour, lest we be accused of being offensive, insulting, rude, condescending, cruel, disrespectful, bullying, derogatory, silly, defensive, lacking common sense, fearful, ridiculing meanies? (am I missing any of your adjectives from this thread?)...I’ll work on incorporating floating butterflies into my thoughts on God, just for you.

You must have a strong distaste for stand up comedy.

Notice that because *one* person perceives a post to be bullying or offensive that it changes the entire thread? Why is the one person who is being unreasonable here receiving all the power to derail the thread? Because that's what's happening here. One person gets offended and everyone else jumps on board to argue with the irrational poster. Sociological observation at its best, and it's why society centers around dividing, rather than unifying. In my opinion Pandora cites ridicule, disrespect etc. as a need to push everyone's buttons as well as to control the thread...and don't we all fall for it...
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Notice that because *one* person perceives a post to be bullying or offensive that it changes the entire thread? Why is the one person who is being unreasonable here receiving all the power to derail the thread? Because that's what's happening here. One person gets offended and everyone else jumps on board to argue with the irrational poster. Sociological observation at its best, and it's why society centers around dividing, rather than unifying. In my opinion Pandora cites ridicule, disrespect etc. as a need to push everyone's buttons...and don't we all fall for it...
    I'm really trying to understand... really. I try to put the pieces together to get a basic feel of the logic I am dealing with. And sometimes it doesn't add up. It's like I'm rebuilding an engine and someone hands me a puppy to install.
    I just wanted to get that puppy comment in before this is shut down.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    There's no logic Cosmo. I've tried too.
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    Come on Godfather. You wanted to provoke by asking a question that cannot be answered.
    except by me...................
    Here is God:
    god-sistine-chapel.jpg

:D
    Back on topic...
    This is the interpreted vision of God as described in the Bible and translated by Michaelangelo. Good thing it wasn't Picasso... who would have been beheaded, even though his protrait of God would probably have been more accurate.
    I wonder if God likes the band, 'Smashmouth'.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    Come on Godfather. You wanted to provoke by asking a question that cannot be answered.
    except by me...................
    Here is God:
    god-sistine-chapel.jpg

:D
    Back on topic...
    This is the interpreted vision of God as described in the Bible and translated by Michaelangelo. Good thing it wasn't Picasso... who would have been beheaded, even though his protrait of God would probably have been more accurate.
    I wonder if God likes the band, 'Smashmouth'.

looks a bit like jerry garcia.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    I would expect no less from you HFD..aside from my belief and faith let me have a second to explain why your reply is with little thought before typing...
    fear of the unknown is most common, the boogie man under your bed or in the closet, the strange noises you hear in the house when your all alone, not being able to see in the dark but feeling a presents near you, fear of being alone or fear of death and if there is a God will I go to hell or will he forgive my sins ? etc.
    so tell me what do you hide behind you laugh at others...maybe your questions of or out of fear ? EVERYBODY feels fear of some kind or another it's nothing to be ashamed of it's human nature. ;) please accept my reply with all due respect for you.Godfather.

you start out with an insult and then tell me to accept your reply with all due respect. weird.
    anyway, of COURSE everyone feels fear. I'm not denying that. Not sure where you got that from. But I don't fear god, because at this point I don't see his existence. I didn't fear death before I had my daughters. Now I fear death of myself for them, and my wife, if I am not around or able to provide. I have a fear of needles. And I will be the first to admit, I still sometimes fear the dark a bit. But I don't fear things that aren't there.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
This discussion has been closed.