Options

What does God look like ?

Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
edited December 2011 in A Moving Train
cool story, my take on it "We will create Man in our Image" so maybe He looks like me and looks like you
"I am he as you are me and we are all together"

Godfather.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... test=faces
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    God looks to me like the letter 'G', followed by the letter 'O', followed by the letter 'D'.
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,762
    I'm going to be really embarrassed for the person who posts a picture of Ed...
  • Options
    I'm going to be really embarrassed for the person who posts a picture of Ed...
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Godfather.
  • Options
    Didn't Joan Osborne already take care of this one?
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
  • Options
    Clapton
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    God looks like one's own soul :D
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    It's a DOG, backwards
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    satansbed wrote:
    It's a DOG, backwards
    That's right! And Goddess looks like my cat...and don't try to tell her otherwise!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Well, if you really want to get technical...

God is a spirit (John 4:24), and so His appearance is not like anything we can describe. Exodus 33:20 tells us, “You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” As sinful human beings, we are incapable of seeing God in all His glory. His appearance is utterly unimaginable and too glorious to be safely perceived by sinful man.

The Bible describes God appearing to people on various occasions. These instances should not be understood as describing exactly what God looks like, but rather as God revealing Himself to us in a way that we can understand. What God looks like is beyond our capability of understanding and describing. God gives glimpses of what He looks like to teach us truths about Himself, not necessarily so that we can have an image of Him in our minds. Two passages that powerfully describe God’s amazing appearance are Ezekiel 1:26-28 and Revelation 1:14-16.

Ezekiel 1:26-28 declares, “Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.” Revelation 1:14-16 proclaims, “His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.”
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    Godfather. wrote:
    cool story, my take on it "We will create Man in our Image" so maybe He looks like me and looks like you

Godfather.

What does He look like?
    A: I haven't a clue. You're going to have to ask someone who knows and has actually seen Him.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    lemmy.jpg

or....

Gene-Simmons-of-Kiss--002.jpg
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

God is a spirit (John 4:24), and so His appearance is not like anything we can describe. Exodus 33:20 tells us, “You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” As sinful human beings, we are incapable of seeing God in all His glory. His appearance is utterly unimaginable and too glorious to be safely perceived by sinful man.

The Bible describes God appearing to people on various occasions. These instances should not be understood as describing exactly what God looks like, but rather as God revealing Himself to us in a way that we can understand. What God looks like is beyond our capability of understanding and describing. God gives glimpses of what He looks like to teach us truths about Himself, not necessarily so that we can have an image of Him in our minds. Two passages that powerfully describe God’s amazing appearance are Ezekiel 1:26-28 and Revelation 1:14-16.

Ezekiel 1:26-28 declares, “Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.” Revelation 1:14-16 proclaims, “His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.”

wow awesome post !

Godfather.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217

Is this a contradiction of the Revelations description? Rainbows, wool, snow, furnaces, blazing fire, rushing waters, stars, sharp swords, and the Sun? Sounds pretty easy to perceive by us sinful men.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138

who ever wrote those passages was clearly tripping on some magic shrooms
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    Cosmo wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

What does He look like?
    A: I haven't a clue. You're going to have to ask someone who knows and has actually seen Him.
    Yes. definately ask one who "knows" god.

As for me, it doesnt matter what he/she/it looks like. I have a "belief" but its not religious in nature , so.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

Is this a contradiction of the Revelations description? Rainbows, wool, snow, furnaces, blazing fire, rushing waters, stars, sharp swords, and the Sun? Sounds pretty easy to perceive by us sinful men.
    No, no man....it's just him revealing himself in ways we can understand. :| This circular reasoning is what makes it impossible for me to be any form of theist...suggesting that 'we are not capable of understanding, but should have faith in the bible'....to me, these contradicting narratives are not an explanation at all; more a vindication of agnosticism in my books.
    ...If someone made the claims made in Ezekiel and Revelations today, how do you think the Christian community would react?
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Byrnzie wrote:
    God looks to me like the letter 'G', followed by the letter 'O', followed by the letter 'D'.
    :lol: This cracked me up.
  • Options
    i have no idea. let's ask former american footballer kurt warner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MiFybqLFeY

there ya go
    uke can save the world
  • Options
    “You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”

yes, we all learned this from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

378433_main.jpg
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    PythonGod.png
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,275
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    The contridiction of God, as percieved by Man, is that He loves us all... then, condemns some of us to Hell for not being good enough for Him.
    How does THAT figure?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Cosmo wrote:
    The contridiction of God, as percieved by Man, is that He loves us all... then, condemns some of us to Hell for not being good enough for Him.
    How does THAT figure?

you just answered your own question cosmo...as perceived by Man 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Well, we were made in his image...so...he probably looks like us...or vice versa...
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    My belief is that all Gods were/are created by Man. Whether it was Ra or Zeus or Odin or Yahwe, all were created by Man in order to explain the natural world and/or to create a purpose of our being.
    The reason why Yahwe created Adam was to link Man to something greater than his mere existance on this planet. That is why we are told that Man was created in God's image.
    The thing is... maybe the image is actually life itself, not the physical attributions of Homo Erectus. Maybe God is actually life itself, that can be created, but never destroyed... like our frail bodies. Maybe that is the image we share.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Cosmo wrote:
    My belief is that all Gods were/are created by Man. Whether it was Ra or Zeus or Odin or Yahwe, all were created by Man in order to explain the natural world and/or to create a purpose of our being.
    The reason why Yahwe created Adam was to link Man to something greater than his mere existance on this planet. That is why we are told that Man was created in God's image.
    The thing is... maybe the image is actually life itself, not the physical attributions of Homo Erectus. Maybe God is actually life itself, that can be created, but never destroyed... like our frail bodies. Maybe that is the image we share.

An image of the cosmos by Cosmo. ;)
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    An image of the cosmos by Cosmo. ;)
    Yup.
    Just like all other men, i created God* to fit my perception of who and what He* is. It is my trying to attempt a connnection between myself and the great Universes that are out there. We can't be here for no reason, right? In my view... there HAS to be a reason why we exist.
    And I give credit to those who have gone through servere, life threatening trauma and pulled through as a testament to their life. Maybe it was God that pulled the through to live today... maybe it was their own inner desire to cling to life... like the wildflower that clings to the rocky crag in the desert... and not to it give up.
    * footnote: Actually, I believe God may be female in nature... or neither male nor female. I tend to use the terms, 'God' and 'He' in order to convey to other... it just makes it easier (for most people to understand where I'm coming from).
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    A Crutch:
    1099870-crutch_large.jpg
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Byrnzie wrote:
    A Crutch:
    1099870-crutch_large.jpg

:lol:
    hear my name