Options

What does God look like ?

Comments

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    satansbed wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    I am sorry you can not rejoice with others you are missing out on much.
    How do you know I do not rejoice with you? You are on the defensive perhaps
    you can not tell. Rather combative.

No one answered my question...

why come and ridicule and criticize? what is the purpose
    and truly there is nothing more condescending then just that!

As far as fear it is showing in those with their defensive attitudes ...
    otherwise one would think they would be happy with others beliefs.
    No need for put downs or insulting another's beliefs when one is not
    on the defensive.
    They are comfortable with their beliefs and allow others to share theirs
    without being threatened.

This was a great question, not at all silly, only to some non believers,
    There were some great answers ... answers from the heart.
    For me ...this question was about feelings and some shared them beautifully.

Yes it is silly because it can't be answered weather there is a god or not.
    for you but not for others
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    pandora wrote:

Yes it is silly because it can't be answered weather there is a god or not.
    for you but not for others[/quote]

but if there is a god it is not a thing or a person, it has no personality, it is beyond all comprehension, and therefore there is no point questioning what it looks like because we can't even comprehend it.

because if there was a god with personality and form then it could be measured and known and proved
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:

but if there is a god it is not a thing or a person, it has no personality, it is beyond all comprehension, and therefore there is no point questioning what it looks like because we can't even comprehend it.

because if there was a god with personality and form then it could be measured and known and proved
    To me, this was a feeling question

it could be a fun exercise to feel God then project your feelings into something more tangible

pretend our senses allow us to know something more ... not based on the five proven senses
  • Options
    I think it's a rather lazy assessment to conclude that everyone who responed to this thread tongue-in-cheek did so out of fear. For me, it's just a trite and trivial question, that thinks it's being profound. If God exists, then I think there are a lot more important, and far more interesting, questions to be answered than what he/she/it looks like. In fact, if we mean by "God" some kind of spirit, personal or impersonal, rather than a corporeal, physical being, then not only do I agree that it is a silly question, I think it's an entirely meaningless one.

I'd rather get answers to the much more pertinent questions in William Blake's poem:

Why art thou silent and invisible, Father of Jealousy?
    Why doest thou hide thyself in clouds from every searching eye?
    Why darkness and obscurity in all thy words and laws
    that none dare eat the fruit but from the wily serpent's jaws...?
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    pandora wrote:
    How many times have we heard some say they hate it when believers try to convert them...
    so they are on the defensive even when a believer is not doing that....
    this the unfounded unprovoked threat.

This based in fear ....again are you thinking black and white ... monster etc :?
    I am not talking about a fear of God just threatened by the messenger to the
    point of being defensive.
    No need to defend when we respect others beliefs. No need to ridicule, make fun of,
    or insult.

No, it has nothing to do with fear. That's just what you choose to believe because it makes you feel good about yourself and supports your illusion that you know something that others don't.

What people hate is being repeatedly spoken to in a patronizing and condescending manner by people who profess to be in possession of some higher knowledge/wisdom, but who are incapable of explaining what that knowledge is. As far as I'm concerned, the only people exhibiting fear on this message board are those who continue trying to shove their psuedo-religious babble down everyone's throats at every available opportunity and who get all defensive when asked to clarify their beliefs.
  • Options
    I think it's a rather lazy assessment to conclude that everyone who responed to this thread tongue-in-cheek did so out of fear. For me, it's just a trite and trivial question, that thinks it's being profound. If God exists, then I think there are a lot more important, and far more interesting, questions to be answered than what he/she/it looks like. In fact, if we mean by "God" some kind of all-powerful spirit, personal or impersonal, then not only do I agree that it is a silly question, I think it's an entirely meaningless one.

I'd rather get answers to the much more pertinent questions in William Blake's poem:

Why art thou silent and invisible, Father of Jealousy?
    Why doest thou hide thyself in clouds from every searching eye?
    Why darkness and obscurity in all thy words and laws
    that none dare eat the fruit but from the wily serpent's jaws...?
    For myself, I did not say everyone who responded
    I said those who were defensive and ridiculed the beliefs of others,
    this all they had to contribute :? why?

I think it is a deep question, a cool and thought provoking question that lends to creativity.
    But then I believe in God, I enjoy creativity in others. It had great potential.
    But many showed up to call it silly, make it silly because they can not believe.

Your questions all pertain to religion ... what religion says is God, who and what.

But what if you knew God had nothing to do with religion ... just an if

I wonder what interesting questions you would then have.

I don't think it would be ... why do you hide? why are you jealous?
    why are you confusing? and what's up with the snake?

I have a feeling your questions would be entirely different.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    How many times have we heard some say they hate it when believers try to convert them...

This based in fear ....again are you thinking black and white ... monster etc :?
    No need to defend when we respect others beliefs. No need to ridicule, make fun of,
    or insult.

No, it has nothing to do with fear. That's just what you choose to believe because it makes you feel good about yourself and supports your illusion that you know something that others don't.

What people hate is being repeatedly spoken to in a patronizing and condescending manner by people who profess to be in possession of some higher knowledge/wisdom, but who are incapable of explaining what that knowledge is. As far as I'm concerned, the only people exhibiting fear on this message board are those who continue trying to shove their psuedo-religious babble down everyone's throats at every available opportunity and who get all defensive when asked to clarify their beliefs.
    There is nothing more condescending than ridicule ... but this you know why you do it.

why so defensive then if not perceiving a threat :?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

I think it is a deep question, a cool and thought provoking question that lends to creativity.
    But then I believe in God, I enjoy creativity in others. It had great potential.
    But many showed up to call it silly, make it silly because they can not believe.

Your questions all pertain to religion ... what religion says is God, who and what.

I know there is a difference between God and religion, Pandora. The quote is from William Blake, who was a Christian, so the questions are, naturally, framed within the imagery of his belief. That does not mean that they are not applicable beyond the bounds of that particular religious structure, to the broader questions of the nature of god, irrespective of religion. And I think my questions would be largely the same.

I stated exactly why I think it's a silly question, and my reason to think so, and to say so, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with ridiculing anybody. My thinking that it is a silly question has to do with nothing other that the triviality and meaninglessness of the question. End of. I'll say it again that I think that is an unfair judgment and it's highly presumptuous of you to say people "made it silly because they cannot believe". That's just plain wrong.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    pandora wrote:

or insult.

There is nothing more condescending than ridicule ... but this you know why you do it.

why so defensive then if not perceiving a threat :?

Who's being defensive?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

I know there is a difference between God and religion, Pandora. The quote is from William Blake, who was a Christian, so the questions are, naturally, framed within the imagery of his belief. That does not mean that they are not applicable beyond the bounds of that particular religious structure, to the broader questions of the nature of god, irrespective of religion. And I think my questions would be largely the same.

I stated exactly why I think it's a silly question, and my reason to think so, and to say so, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with ridiculing anybody. My thinking that it is a silly question has to do with nothing other that the triviality and meaninglessness of the question. End of. I'll say it again that I think that is an unfair judgment and it's highly presumptuous of you to say people "made it silly because they cannot believe". That's just plain wrong.

I'm surprised at your questions if you could ask anything ...
    you are asking questions created by religion, not God,
    seeking answers from God, not religion, in my opinion.

Well for the respect of others who were taking the question seriously...
    in the nature it was created and presented one would think that those who thought it silly would have refrained from making it sillier, refrained from being insulting and cruel, and would have used good common sense and not attempted to offend other posters and their beliefs.
    One would think that because that is reasonable,
    but one cannot depend on that it seems, unfortunately.

And who is wrong?
    for me that is the some doing the ridiculing ... the some on the defensive
    the some lacking respect and the some admitting proudly to it all!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    ...would have used good common sense...

Talking of common sense... :think:
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

I'm really not sure what it is you're getting at here. They are not questions created by religion. They are questions that can be more simplistically put as "Why do bad things happen to bad people?" "Why don't you put an end to all the conflict in your name and show yourself, or speak to your creation?" "Why leave your creation in the dark?" Basically, the sort of questions that only lead me to conclude that either there is no god, or god is not good. Questions that have nothing specifically to do with any religion, as I have already stated.
    pandora wrote:
    in the nature it was created and presented one would think that those who thought it silly would have refrained from making it sillier, refrained from being insulting and cruel, and would have used good common sense and not attempted to offend other posters and their beliefs.

And who is wrong?

I agree that people should be insulting or cruel about other people's beliefs. And again, I'll say that - for the most part, at least - I don't believe that was people's intention here. But, you would do well to be aware that your own tone in this thread has also at times been judgmental and self-righteous. It works both ways, you know...
  • Options
    I was taught to be kind and respectful of others even those with opposing views,
    to try to follow the golden rule

this is good common sense ... yes :?

butterflies carried on the wind,
    though a wind we can not see nor feel

but for the butterfly and the journey. :D
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    I was taught to be kind and respectful of others even those with opposing views,

Then I'd advise you not to be so presumptuous about what other people believe, and why they believe it.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

I'm really not sure what it is you're getting at here. They are not questions created by religion. They are questions that can be more simplistically put as "Why do bad things happen to bad people?" "Why don't you put an end to all the conflict in your name and show yourself, or speak to your creation?" "Why leave your creation in the dark?" Basically, the sort of questions that only lead me to conclude that either there is no god, or god is not good. Questions that have nothing specifically to do with any religion, as I have already stated.
    pandora wrote:

And who is wrong?

I agree that people should be insulting or cruel about other people's beliefs. And again, I'll say that - for the most part, at least - I don't believe that was people's intention here. But, you would do well to be aware that your own tone in this thread has also at times been judgmental and self-righteous. It works both ways, you know...
    tone ... easily misinterpreted, I have found ... words not so much so and pictures speak
    a thousand of those ... we see here in this thread

do people judge a convicted rapist...I believe they do

of course the claim of 'holier than thou' often bounced around
    a sign of the defensiveness that exists
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

Then I'd advise you not to be so presumptuous about what other people believe, and why they believe it.
    It matters not what they believe, to each their own,
    hoping they can be good back to others about their beliefs ... this the subject matter.

This what was lacking here in this thread.

butterflies carried on the wind,
    though a wind we can not see nor feel

but for the butterfly and the journey.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    tone ... easily misinterpreted, I have found ... words not so much so and pictures speak

Ok, now you're just making feeble excuses, and pretty bizarre ones at that.
    pandora wrote:
    It matters not what they believe, to each their own
    ...which seems not at all consistent with your earlier pronouncements and fanciful speculations on the beliefs of others.

If rational discussion has left the building, then i'm going too...
  • Options

All those questions should be asked of Man not God ... in my opinion.

Why does Man not see beyond this life, see the enormous big picture
    of the eternal life of the human soul?

Why is Man in the dark? When faith is within reach.

Why does Man thrive on conflict and can not give and forgive his fellow Man?

Why is Man not listening? Not feeling God? When God is there for the taking.

We all have choices and you have chosen not to believe ...
    that your conclusion but it is Man that brings you there not God.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

Ok, now you're just making feeble excuses, and pretty bizarre ones at that.
    pandora wrote:
    It matters not what they believe, to each their own
    ...which seems not at all consistent with your earlier pronouncements and fanciful speculations on the beliefs of others.

If rational discussion has left the building, then i'm going too...
    what excuse did I make?

what was fanciful?
    I do like that word though but I think my opinion has been far from that
    fanciful is based in hopes and dreams ...
    this is all cold hard fact

you know me ... I respect the beliefs of others but will not tolerate
    the insults and rudeness towards others most especially when unprovoked.

If you can't say something nice then....

and don't spoil it for others

I think that is rational ... I am surprised you find that not to be.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

All those questions should be asked of Man not God ... in my opinion.

Exactly.
    But the reason is this: The fact that they can be asked at all is to me indicative of the absence of God. The reason why these would be the key questions that I would ask God if he/she/it did exist is because they are explicitly contrary to what we commonly conceive of God to be - within or without religion. So I agree with you on that point, but I disagree entirely with the conclusions you draw from that point.
    pandora wrote:
    Why does Man not see beyond this life, see the enormous big picture
    of the eternal life of the human soul?
    I would rather say, "Why should humans (let's use that word instead of Man) look beyond this life? Why can we not be happy with our lot? Is this life, this world not magnificent enough for you? Why do we need to believe in the "eternal life of the human soul", when there is no reason to believe in it?
    pandora wrote:
    Why is Man in the dark? When faith is within reach.
    What I was getting at here was something different. This is by no means a corolloary of what I said. And if this is not about God but humanity, what's the "faith" you are talking about? Faith in what?
    pandora wrote:
    Why does Man thrive on conflict and can not give and forgive his fellow Man?
    Ok, this one, I'll go with you on.
    pandora wrote:
    Why is Man not listening? Not feeling God? When God is there for the taking.
    What does this mean? How do you "feel" God? How do you "take" God? I'm sorry, but to me, this is vacuous platitude. I don't belive this has any rational maeaning
    pandora wrote:
    We all have choices and you have chosen not to believe ...
    that your conclusion but it is Man that brings you there not God.

And this is what i disagree with you on most strongly. I have not "chosen" what I believe. Belief is a passive response to the information your senses and your reason and intelligence provide you with. You either believe it, or you don't There is no choice. What you choose is whether or not to accept what you naturally and passively believe. I chose to accept that the information my senses and my reason provided me with was not compatible with the belief in the existence of God. That is a very different thing from choosing not to believe, and a very important distinction that those who judge and criticise and condemn non-believers really need to understand.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    pandora wrote:
    No one answered my question...

why come and ridicule and criticize? what is the purpose and truly there is nothing more condescending then just that!
    I'll answer this...
    Personally... I don't come here to ridicule and criticize. People mistake my questioning or disbelief of their beliefs as ridicule and criticism. That in NOT on me... it is on the person that misreads me. I have stated many times that I accept and respect everyone's beliefs... for themselves, but not for me.
    From my perspective, I wish they would just respect my beliefs... that happens to be counter to theirs, instead of slapping a mean and disrespectful label on me, simply because I don't believe them. That is the basic premise of 'To each, their own'.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    Come on Godfather. You wanted to provoke by asking a question that cannot be answered.
    except by me...................
    Here is God:
    god-sistine-chapel.jpg

:D
    I thought about this one last night...
    Isn't this a 'Graven Image of God'?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    quote]
    what excuse did I make?
    That your tone was misinterpreted. Yet, you don't apply that same standard to those you accuse of ridiculing.
    That it's ok to be judgmental, because hey, don't we judge convicted rapists?
    pandora wrote:
    what was fanciful?
    Your false presumption that anyone who makes a satirical response does so because they are afraid, or feel threatened.
    pandora wrote:
    you know me ... I respect the beliefs of others but will not tolerate
    the insults and rudeness towards others most especially when unprovoked.
    Personally, I find your presumption above to be quite rude. All I'm saying is practice what you preach.
    EDIT: in other words, what Cosmo said better above
  • Options
    satirical - exposing human folly to ridicule; "a persistent campaign of mockery

nice word for being insulting ... pretty much what I have said yes... ridicule

And again why come to ridicule others beliefs? :?
    Why mockery when this thread was created with
    a positive intention for those who wanted to share their ideas about God.
  • Options
    I chose to accept that the information my senses and my reason provided me with was not compatible with the belief in the existence of God.

and when your senses tell you otherwise you will then believe?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Why mockery when this thread was created with a positive intention for those who wanted to share their ideas about God.
    It is ridicule and mockery when it is percieved as ridicule and mockery.
    This thread aks the question, 'What Does God Look Like?' in an Open Forum... it is not about, "Only Come Here To Share Your Positive Views And Ideas Of God... Otherwise, Stay The Fuck Out.". This is why you are reading messages you don't like... because the topic is the former, not the latter.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I have not "chosen" what I believe. Belief is a passive response to the information your senses and your reason and intelligence provide you with. You either believe it, or you don't There is no choice. What you choose is whether or not to accept what you naturally and passively believe. I chose to accept that the information my senses and my reason provided me with was not compatible with the belief in the existence of God. That is a very different thing from choosing not to believe, and a very important distinction that those who judge and criticise and condemn non-believers really need to understand.

Very well said.
    Cosmo wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Why mockery when this thread was created with a positive intention for those who wanted to share their ideas about God.
    It is ridicule and mockery when it is percieved as ridicule and mockery.
    This thread aks the question, 'What Does God Look Like?' in an Open Forum... it is not about, "Only Come Here To Share Your Positive Views And Ideas Of God... Otherwise, Stay The Fuck Out.". This is why you are reading messages you don't like... because the topic is the former, not the latter.

This is what I've been thinking all along Cosmo. And it was ignored when I suggested that if I disagree with two Bible quotes that Ifind ludicrous, why should I not ask question, which could be taken as criticism. Furthermore, I'd call it constructive criticism. Even if someone suggests God is a crutch, why get upset about what that person believes enough to call them a person who acts out of fear? If someone told me PJ was a crutch for me, it wouldnt bother me if it were true or not -- just someone pointing out how they perceive my obsession.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,381
    Cosmo wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    Come on Godfather. You wanted to provoke by asking a question that cannot be answered.
    except by me...................
    Here is God:
    god-sistine-chapel.jpg

:D
    I thought about this one last night...
    Isn't this a 'Graven Image of God'?
    nope, not for christians. With the new testament there is but one commandment. That is" love thy neighbor as thyself." Or as Ed put it in Columbus last year for the PJ as a religion "dont be an asshole"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    satircal wasn't my word ... 'wolves' nailed that perfectly
    the definition proving my point
    wolfamongwolves wrote:
    Your false presumption that anyone who makes a satirical response does so because they are afraid, or feel threatened.

I read back through ... yes a lot of mockery and ridicule

but that's what some do... its not knew
    at the expense of others ... their fun
    I knew kids like that too once upon a time, I think most of us did.

this I 'know' ;);):lol:
    we can agree to disagree on their true colors or is that motives
    Post edited by pandora on
  • Options
    This is what I've been thinking all along Cosmo. And it was ignored when I suggested that if I disagree with two Bible quotes that Ifind ludicrous, why should I not ask question, which could be taken as criticism. Furthermore, I'd call it constructive criticism. Even if someone suggests God is a crutch, why get upset about what that person believes enough to call them a person who acts out of fear? If someone told me PJ was a crutch for me, it wouldnt bother me if it were true or not -- just someone pointing out how they perceive my obsession.
    Exactly. We question those things we find questionable.
    And maybe some people need God as a crutch... their reliance on God to get them through tough times works for them. Nothing wrong with that. If it gets them to better days, it's good.
    Hail, Hail!!!
This discussion has been closed.