Options

What does God look like ?

Comments

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Jeannie, an image of myself, since God is an image of ourselves... :lol:

idreamofjeannie1.gif

(and no, I don't really look like Barbara Eden...I wish...)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanwah wrote:

idreamofjeannie1.gif

but please tell me that you do live in a bottle just like hers.... i loved her bottle when i was growing up.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

idreamofjeannie1.gif

but please tell me that you do live in a bottle just like hers.... i loved her bottle when i was growing up.

Well, yeah! Don't we all live in our own bottles?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

idreamofjeannie1.gif

Well, yeah! Don't we all live in our own bottles?

i dropped mine and it broke. :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    Jeanwah wrote:

idreamofjeannie1.gif

JeanWOW!!!
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Godfather. wrote:
    cool story, my take on it "We will create Man in our Image" so maybe He looks like me and looks like you
    "I am he as you are me and we are all together"

Godfather.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... test=faces
    Well he must have a penis if he's a he.

Maybe god is the collective consciousness of the entire universe? Does it have to look like anything? Vision is just one sense of many.
  • Options
    So that documentary must have been made before the South Park episode that answered that question definitively...

God.png
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    it just dawned on me this morning that this question created offense to some of you or you wouldn't have posted sarcastic replys,usally these kinds of replys are an attempt to hide fears or doubts within or about ourselfs...does the thought of God scare you ? maybe if you cover your eyes with your hands it will all go away ?

it also showed the lack of respect people have for each other on the train and the world in general, we all have beliefs and standards we live by are ones beliefs better than the next persons ? are your standards higher ?
    who are we to judge the next person for the color of their skin,where they grew up,how they dress or the God they believe in ? what is it inside of people that the name of God scares them to a point that they feel they have nothing but rude or scarcastic remarks towards the beliefs of others to say ?.....it's fear my friends plain and simple....vanity drenched fear, I mean who on earth or the heavens could be smarter or have control over you or your life other than you right ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I think the Know posts were directed at me maybe :lol:

you don't have to see something to know something
    but I think that is over some peoples heads
    seeing that they don't understand what is meant by one's heart even :?
    Very black and white and fact.

Yes Godfather it is fear, it causes some to be cruel, disrespectful and insecure.

I love the post above about the universe and consciousness and sight being just one sense.

We have senses that have not been channeled or discovered as of yet ....
    hurry up Dec 2012! :D
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    The contridiction of God, as percieved by Man, is that He loves us all... then, condemns some of us to Hell for not being good enough for Him.
    How does THAT figure?

No one has ever been good enough...being redeemed changes that situation.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    Well, if you really want to get technical...

God is a spirit (John 4:24), and so His appearance is not like anything we can describe. Exodus 33:20 tells us, “You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.” As sinful human beings, we are incapable of seeing God in all His glory. His appearance is utterly unimaginable and too glorious to be safely perceived by sinful man.

Is this a contradiction of the Revelations description? Rainbows, wool, snow, furnaces, blazing fire, rushing waters, stars, sharp swords, and the Sun? Sounds pretty easy to perceive by us sinful men.
    No, no man....it's just him revealing himself in ways we can understand. :| This circular reasoning is what makes it impossible for me to be any form of theist...suggesting that 'we are not capable of understanding, but should have faith in the bible'....to me, these contradicting narratives are not an explanation at all; more a vindication of agnosticism in my books.
    ...If someone made the claims made in Ezekiel and Revelations today, how do you think the Christian community would react?

I have no problem placing faith in the One I believe created in the infinite universe. If He told me to place my faith in Him and not lean on my own understanding, I can accept that.

God is alot bigger than the tiny box society puts Him in.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Godfather. wrote:
    it just dawned on me this morning that this question created offense to some of you or you wouldn't have posted sarcastic replys,usally these kinds of replys are an attempt to hide fears or doubts within or about ourselfs...does the thought of God scare you ? maybe if you cover your eyes with your hands it will all go away ?

it also showed the lack of respect people have for each other on the train and the world in general, we all have beliefs and standards we live by are ones beliefs better than the next persons ? are your standards higher ?
    who are we to judge the next person for the color of their skin,where they grew up,how they dress or the God they believe in ? what is it inside of people that the name of God scares them to a point that they feel they have nothing but rude or scarcastic remarks towards the beliefs of others to say ?.....it's fear my friends plain and simple....vanity drenched fear, I mean who on earth or the heavens could be smarter or have control over you or your life other than you right ?

Godfather.

Nah bru its just that a stupid question deserves stupid answers
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Godfather. wrote:
    it just dawned on me this morning that this question created offense to some of you or you wouldn't have posted sarcastic replys,usally these kinds of replys are an attempt to hide fears or doubts within or about ourselfs...does the thought of God scare you ?

I dont think it offended anyone. I think the replies that people of faith deem sarcastic or rude are just the reasons why people dont have faith in a god. A crutch? Well, that person obviously feels that some people use religion, faith, or God as a crutch. I know some people who use it as a crutch too. They’re just the reasons why they explored the idea of God, and dismissed it.
    Godfather. wrote:
    what is it inside of people that the name of God scares them to a point that they feel they have nothing but rude or scarcastic remarks towards the beliefs of others to say ?.....it's fear my friends plain and simple....vanity drenched fear, I mean who on earth or the heavens could be smarter or have control over you or your life other than you right ?
    pandora wrote:
    Yes Godfather it is fear, it causes some to be cruel, disrespectful and insecure.

I think many people who have deep faiths in these things want to believe the attacks are people acting out of fear, but its not. I dont sense ANY fear in any of the responses here. It’s just easy for people to write it off as "fear", because some people cant fathom why a person wouldn’t want to have faith in something. I find that people attack it because they simply think its silly. If they don’t have faith in a God, they simply think it’s a fairy tale.

How in the world can you be afraid of something you don’t believe exists?
    The "fear" thing is just ridiculous.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

I think many people who have deep faiths in these things want to believe the attacks are people acting out of fear, but its not. I dont sense ANY fear in any of the responses here. It’s just easy for people to write it off as "fear", because some people cant fathom why a person wouldn’t want to have faith in something. I find that people attack it because they simply think its silly. If they don’t have faith in a God, they simply think it’s a fairy tale.

Fear is induced by a perceived threat and results in a need to defend oneself....
    when it is unfounded it results in a defensive person.

If a person was comfortable secure and unthreatened
    there would be no need to attack another's beliefs.
    They would just ignore .... no ... rejoice in what others have found.

But the need to ridicule remains in some nonbelievers
    this to console themselves and reinforce their belief but more importantly
    disprove the faith of others. ... that stems from fear and insecurity.
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

was this intended to be rude to the OP?

it is not a stupid question to believers but I agree some of the answers have been stupid,
    from those who ridicule the idea of a God and those who believe.

Again why?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.
    Not at ALL, Godfather. SInce no one know what exactly God looks like if it exists, we are simply giving our ideas. Who are you to cast labels and insinuate, anyway? Try to have an open mind. BTW, inciting that it's fear that we post the way we do doesn't make you look exactly holy, here. Try to remember that. Casting stones is not a great idea.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Like your typical Anunnaki
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Fear is induced by a perceived threat and results in a need to defend oneself....

AGAIN, how in the world can someone be afraid of something they don’t believe exists?

And, Here, nobody is defending themselves either.
    I think many people attack others beliefs because they are amazed that anyone can have faith in something fairy-tale-like. I mean look at that Revelations quote. I am not bashing anyone's beliefs when I say that passage is ludicrous. I am just amazed anyone can take it seriously...those are my beliefs, and they are not stated out of fear, but amazement.

Well just have to agree to disagree here.. I see zero insecurity or fear in any of these posters. In most, I just I see confidence in how they got to where they are in their belief system. Fear is just an easy way to dismiss it I guess.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.
    Not at ALL, Godfather. SInce no one know what exactly God looks like if it exists, we are simply giving our ideas. Who are you to cast labels and insinuate, anyway? Try to have an open mind. BTW, inciting that it's fear that we post the way we do doesn't make you look exactly holy, here. Try to remember that. Casting stones is not a great idea.

;)

just an observation.
    is the shoe on the other foot ?
    Godfather.
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

:lol: ok buddy.

Godfather.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    The contridiction of God, as percieved by Man, is that He loves us all... then, condemns some of us to Hell for not being good enough for Him.
    How does THAT figure?

This is exactly why most of us in here shouldnt be labelled as fearful -- just because we have good questions like this that Cosmo proposed. Most arent questioning individual spirituality, but rather the many, many contradictions brought about by religion.

Godfather, this is a very interesting thread though.. You had to know it would stir the pot ;) ...mostly because any ideas of Gods physical appearance usually come across (maybe like satansbed said: shroom inspired) or very self-serving -- old man with white beard and laser beam eyes. The bible quotes are laughable to me about his appearance.. I dont say that out of fear either, just my simple opinion.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

AGAIN, how in the world can someone be afraid of something they don’t believe exists?

I think many people attack others beliefs because they are amazed that anyone can have faith in something fairy-tale-like. I mean look at that Revelations quote. I am not bashing anyone's beliefs when I say that passage is ludicrous. I am just amazed anyone can take it seriously...those are my beliefs, and they are not stated out of fear, but amazement.

Well just have to agree to disagree here.. I see zero insecurity or fear in any of these posters. In most, I just I see confidence in how they got to where they are in their belief system. Fear is just an easy way to dismiss it I guess.
    A defensive person perceives a danger that is not there ... what I have stated.
    Perhaps you are looking at fear in black and white ... I am speaking of a feeling,
    an emotional response not a physical reaction to danger.

How many times have we heard some nonbelievers say they are tired of believers trying to convert them?
    This makes some very defensive to all believers even those with no intention of doing so.
    This understandable but taken to a level of being defensive with all.

So some of those defensive they ridicule, are rude, insult another's belief
    when it has not been provoked at all.

Again why can they not rejoice? Rejoice in the beliefs of others
    though not their own.

Why come to a thread with the intent to ridicule another's beliefs?

The answer fear and insecurity.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

Perhaps you are looking at fear in black and white ... I am speaking of a feeling,

How many times have we heard some nonbelievers say they are tired of believers trying to convert them?
    This makes some very defensive to all believers even those with no intention of doing so.

though not their own.

So you are saying that people in this thread don't realize that they are afraid of something that doesn't exist and that is why they criticize some religion.
    I am not looking at fear as black and white. Obviously we're talking about emotions here...I cant physically see Byrnzie banging his head against his keyboard.
    I think people who quickly dismiss it as fear, have a problem only seeing it as black and white. So you can't believe that maybe one just thinks some of this is silly? It cant be silly, it can only be fear?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

though not their own.

So you are saying that people in this thread don't realize that they are afraid of something that doesn't exist and that is why they criticize some religion.
    I am not looking at fear as black and white. Obviously we're talking about emotions here...I cant physically see Byrnzie banging his head against his keyboard.
    I think people who quickly dismiss it as fear, have a problem only seeing it as black and white. So you can't believe that maybe one just thinks some of this is silly? It cant be silly, it can only be fear?
    So silliness brings people to the emotional point of being ridiculing, hurtful, insulting ...
    really :?
    thats a stretch.
    It is so very obvious some are defensive and that is why they react as they do.

So you do see the criticizing also ... why criticize another's beliefs at all?

What is the purpose in that? Why come and ridicule at all if not out of fear and insecurity,
    if not out of the need to prove something to someone ... or disapprove one might say.
  • Options
    why is this planet so different from all the other planets sorrounding us ? why is it the only planet that we have seen from here to mars and beyond that can sustain life ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    Why is it that the believers use fear in labeling others?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    pandora wrote:

So silliness brings people to the emotional point of being ridiculing, hurtful, insulting ...
    thats a stretch.

What is the purpose in that? Why come and ridicule at all if not out of fear and insecurity,
    if not out of the need to prove something to someone ... or disapprove one might say.

How YOU feel, Pandora is up to you. It is NOT possible to blame someone else when you choose to feel a certain way. It's no one's fault but how you allow yourself to feel. You are in control of your own feelings. Using fear and what you choose to perceive as ridicule and insults is all on you. It's all you. Not us. I'll say it again: You are in control of your own feelings. We were having fun with this outrageous thread title, until Godfather brought fear into it, and you jumped on the bandwagon.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    thats a stretch.

The thing I think you're missing is that when some non-believers criticize religion, they might just be pointing out why they don't subscribe to it or why they feel its contradictory...Sometimes criticism is good you know. Constructive criticism sometimes opens the mind to something someone doesnt see...You see it as an attack, I see it otherwise. I also see people pointing out contradictory things in religion, which usually goes unanswered, especially around here. Why was the post where I quoted Cosmo dismissed by everyone? Easy answer: there is no answer. And its contradictory. I call that out, not out of fear, because I find it hard to digest that other people just brush this stuff off and say "well, God works in mysterious ways!" :?
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Why is it that the believers use fear in labeling others?
    as I said it was just an obesevation on my part ..my opinion, not that of believers in general

Godfather.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:

though not their own.

I think you're right. I am full of fear, I fear for the human race when intelligent and mostly rational adults can believe in this fairy tale we call god. No wonder we make a mess of everything.
This discussion has been closed.