*** London Fanviews Here 18/6/07 ***

Comments

• andshewasandshewas Posts: 31
    Yeah I tried to post a comment too.. haven't seen it on there yet either! The buggers..
    Yeah, they seem to not be too eager to post my response. Wankers.

This is what i wrote yesterday:

Perhaps Jon Fletcher should pay a little more attention to the concert he's reviewing. Though Fletcher states that there was not a single track from Pearl Jam's second LP Vs., the show concluded with that album's final track, Indifference. More than that, Fletcher completely missed the bigger pciture of this gig. The entire floor of 3,000 strong was sold only to fan club members from literally around the world, as well as Brits who had waited seven years for the band to return. These were the people Pearl Jam was playing to last night, not the people who have not picked up a Pearl Jam cd after Vs. Last night, Vedder and co. played one of their most unique setlists for a crowd that ate it up. Far from self-indulgent, last night was a thank you to the fans who have stuck with Pearl Jam through their 17 year history. Pearl Jam is one of the best live acts in the world and they maintain this by picking up on something that British bands (save Radiohead) don't get: The best way to build up a loyal following by keeping your setlists unique and unpredictable from one night to another. Keep them guessing, keep them excited. This was more than the case last night and the fans- be it from England, Croatia, Australia, Portugal, Italy or the USA- loved it.

If Fletcher wants a greatest hits parade, I suggest he stays at home and pops Ten on his stereo- or perhaps go see the Kaiser Chiefs.
  • cyclopscyclops Posts: 70
    Yeah, they seem to not be too eager to post my response. Wankers.

This is what i wrote yesterday:

Perhaps Jon Fletcher should pay a little more attention to the concert he's reviewing. Though Fletcher states that there was not a single track from Pearl Jam's second LP Vs., the show concluded with that album's final track, Indifference. More than that, Fletcher completely missed the bigger pciture of this gig. The entire floor of 3,000 strong was sold only to fan club members from literally around the world, as well as Brits who had waited seven years for the band to return. These were the people Pearl Jam was playing to last night, not the people who have not picked up a Pearl Jam cd after Vs. Last night, Vedder and co. played one of their most unique setlists for a crowd that ate it up. Far from self-indulgent, last night was a thank you to the fans who have stuck with Pearl Jam through their 17 year history. Pearl Jam is one of the best live acts in the world and they maintain this by picking up on something that British bands (save Radiohead) don't get: The best way to build up a loyal following by keeping your setlists unique and unpredictable from one night to another. Keep them guessing, keep them excited. This was more than the case last night and the fans- be it from England, Croatia, Australia, Portugal, Italy or the USA- loved it.

If Fletcher wants a greatest hits parade, I suggest he stays at home and pops Ten on his stereo- or perhaps go see the Kaiser Chiefs.

Amen to that!

Mine was posted neither
    Paris 00

Antwerp (!) 06
    Paris 06
    Verona 06
    Prague 06

Wembley 07
    Duesseldorf 07
    Nijmegen 07
    Werchter (!) 07
  • Big ManBig Man Posts: 97
    that has to be the best setlist in a long time. at least for me. damn, i sold my tickets. damn
  • MinimieMinimie Posts: 116
    Just got home from London and the first thing I did was buy a ticket to the "Pearl Jam In the Parc" gig at Nijmegen.

During the concert at Wembley I was on cloud 9 and it seemed like the gig only took about 15min (and not the 2h15 it really lasted). So I really hoop there is going to be a bootleg of this show!!!

And..I want to apology to the girl who stood before me since I "sang" along with all of the songs :)

If there are guys out there who will be gathering around before the Nijmegen show..just let me know..
    Those who dance are called insane by those who can't hear the music - eV
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    2006: Antwerp (B)
    2007: London (UK), Nijmegen (NL), Werchter (B)
    2008: MSG1 & 2 - New York (US)
    2009: Rotterdam (NL), London (UK), Philly(x4)(US)
    2010: Dublin (I), Belfast (UK), Nijmegen (NL), Arras (FR), Werchter (B)
    2011: Montréal (Can)
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    I thought the crowd was much better behaved than in Dublin....or at least they seemed to be from where we were. Wembley's set up was way better as they didn't have that second barrier so everyone who wanted to get forward could and those of us who like to stay out of it could without feeling the frustrations of those who were unable to get to the front.

and you're right....Ghost was soundchecked, along with Nothing As It Seems, Marker In The Sand and Parachutes

Maybe I panicked and left too early, I usually love being in the thick of it but it was a bit too much for me. I wasn't the only one either 3 or 4 girlies got hauled out just before me.

Wow thought it was Ghost, shame they didn't play it, i understand they've soundchecked this a couple of times now - hopefully they'll include it at Copenhagen....
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Absolutely fantastic night. Still buzzing to be honest.
    Loved the set list. Pearl Jam are probably the only band around who could get away with omitting so many 'hits/well known' tracks and still have the whole crowd singing along to every single word!
    Opening with 'Long Road' and closing with 'Indifference' was genius.
    Although the whole bands seemed on top of their game, I though Ed's voice was amazing.
    Hope they come back very, very soon.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Riot_RainRiot_Rain Posts: 348
    One point that annoyed me as the stupid fucking 'dont gimmie no lip' sign that was held up infront of me, if i was just a foot further forwards i would have reached it and pulled it out of their hands. luckly after some people shouting at them they took the sign away.

That was my friend :) Don't be too hard on her! She was worried people couldn't see, it was never up very long and it stayed down as soon as someone asked her to! The plan was to be on the first row with it so as not to bother anyone, but after that plan was thwarted she was really hoping to find a gap somewhere to hold it up in. Like you said, it disappeared as soon as someone asked!
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    alexross42 wrote:
    I wish I did know him!! I was curious about why they give him stick for coming from Cornwall - I thought the surfing alone would have won Ed over!!

Hope you gave a big cheer mate,me and a mate had a big smile on our faces when Ed mention that and we're Devon lads!!! I was tempted to shout out something about pasties but i dont think Ed would understand. :)
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • cyclopscyclops Posts: 70
    Minimie wrote:
    Just got home from London and the first thing I did was buy a ticket to the "Pearl Jam In the Parc" gig at Nijmegen.

During the concert at Wembley I was on cloud 9 and it seemed like the gig only took about 15min (and not the 2h15 it really lasted). So I really hoop there is going to be a bootleg of this show!!!

And..I want to apology to the girl who stood before me since I "sang" along with all of the songs :)

If there are guys out there who will be gathering around before the Nijmegen show..just let me know..

Two guys from Ghent will be around ...
    Paris 00

Antwerp (!) 06
    Paris 06
    Verona 06
    Prague 06

Wembley 07
    Duesseldorf 07
    Nijmegen 07
    Werchter (!) 07
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Peter C wrote:
    Hope you gave a big cheer mate,me and a mate had a big smile on our faces when Ed mention that and we're Devon lads!!! I was tempted to shout out something about pasties but i dont think Ed would understand. :)

Pete from Cornwall was also mentioned in Dublin... :D
  • redrock wrote:
    Pete from Cornwall was also mentioned in Dublin... :D
    And one other gig... :rolleyes:

or did you mention that already?
    And one other gig... :rolleyes:

or did you mention that already?

Oops... senior moment..... I guess he mentions good ol' Pete at all UK and 'thereabouts' gigs..... :D
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    What, no boot?? How do you know??
    Apparently there are no plans to release the boots at present... which is utter bollocks!
    nuffingman wrote:
    Apparently there are no plans to release the boots at present... which is utter bollocks!

Keep the faith...... They record their shows, mics were pointed towards the crowd... maybe some day, some format... In the meantime....

WERE ARE THE TAPERS?
    redrock wrote:
    Keep the faith...... They record their shows, mics were pointed towards the crowd... maybe some day, some format... In the meantime....

WERE ARE THE TAPERS?
    Amen to that! :D
    cyclops wrote:
    Amen to that!

Mine was posted neither

Has anyone had there reply posted yet? imagine they are quite busy. C**ts!
  • redrock wrote:

WERE ARE THE TAPERS?

My conclusion on the show is that although I enjoyed the hell out of it, the sound was just so overwhelming I'm struggling to actually remember what I heard.

If I don't hear a boot, I'm worried that my memories of the gig will fade, purely because of crap Wembley acoustics. The loud tracks were mostly just a wall-of-noise. I NEED that boot if I'm going to make any sense of it.

Highlights were Present Tense, Immortality and Faithful, Crazy Mary and Light Years because for these songs I found the sound crystal clear.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    I'm struggling to actually remember what I heard.
    I get that too but because I'm so engrossed in the moment, I don't seem to be able to multi-task - enjoy the moment and get my brain to store it somewhere!!!

When I got home, had to look at the setlist just to double check :o. That's why these boots that were available a couple of days after the gig were so great... You listen to them and go 'ah yeah! Forgot that!'
  • InnesInnes Posts: 9
    The Wembley show was clearly aimed at the fan club. With 7000 tenclubbers on the floor, the setlist was framed around a number of the rarer songs they play live.

Ive seen PJ a few times over the last 14 years and this was my favorite show - undoubtedly the best UK show since Brixton.

McCready & Stone were on fire! and clearly loving it. Stones RITFW solo was searing - awsome. McCready's solo on immortality was incredible as was the Crazy Mary jam with Boom. Eddy played a strat durung present tense - which I dont recall seeing before.

I took a friend with me who didnt know the band well and he was blown away! "Church without the religion" he said...No kidding

Just hope the boot comes out and they return again soon.

Tired, emotional, hoarse - but happy
    My conclusion on the show is that although I enjoyed the hell out of it, the sound was just so overwhelming I'm struggling to actually remember what I heard.

If I don't hear a boot, I'm worried that my memories of the gig will fade, purely because of crap Wembley acoustics. The loud tracks were mostly just a wall-of-noise. I NEED that boot if I'm going to make any sense of it.

Highlights were Present Tense, Immortality and Faithful, Crazy Mary and Light Years because for these songs I found the sound crystal clear.

Yeh! I'll go along with that. I couldn't believe how loud Long Road was, and had no idea what Severed Hand was for a few moments. By the time my ears had been beaten into mush it got better. Faithful was the one for me... outstanding!
  • redrock wrote:
    I get that too but because I'm so engrossed in the moment, I don't seem to be able to multi-task - enjoy the moment and get my brain to store it somewhere!!!

When I got home, had to look at the setlist just to double check :o. That's why these boots that were available a couple of days after the gig were so great... You listen to them and go 'ah yeah! Forgot that!'

LOL

Yeah, let's hope we get to have one of those moments with this one! :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Yield72Yield72 Posts: 193
    gaz wrote:
    Us too!! With those FUCKING FLAGS!! Eventually (after about an hour of shifting from side to side to avoid this fuckers flag),I asked him politley to put it down.To which he acted fuckin thick and tried to say there was plenty of room on either side of him to get a decent view.There was'nt,just more fuckin portugese!!!!And they seemed more interested in posing for photos than watching the band! Idiots.

I really don't undserstand all this situation about portuguese flags...
    We run all over the world with our flags...Never was any problem....

"...just more fuckin portugese..." and to yhis I just want to say: GET A LIVE!!!
    I'm myself like you somehow.....
    gaz wrote:
    ,just more fuckin portugese!!!!.
    Yep... even some behind me and next to me **waves hello to Rita!**, also a lovely girl from Israel and her mates, aussies, french, american and canadian.. and that was just the people around me! Oh! I forgot! There were some brits too! Loved it! :D

And a confession here... I did wipe my brow with a bit of a portuguese flag (which was actually wrapped around the guy's arm) :o
  • Yield72Yield72 Posts: 193
    Alive 79 wrote:
    Great show, last night I have to admit I was a bit dissapointed in the setlist but looking back it was actually nice to hear some different songs, especially Inside Job. Sound was pretty good for Wembley but the merchandise stalls..................what a fucking joke. I queued for 45 mins to be told they didn't have any womens t-shirts left but luckily managed to sweet talk the guy into letting me have the ones off the wall after the show!

Only downside for me was the idiots waving their Portugal flags infront of me so that was the only view I got for a lot of the show. If any of you are reading this.............it was me who stole 2 of your flags and 20 people shook my hand for it. Next time leave them at home!

About this 2 stole flags: We have many more....
    I'm myself like you somehow.....
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    redrock wrote:
    Oops... senior moment..... I guess he mentions good ol' Pete at all UK and 'thereabouts' gigs..... :D
    nope, he wasn't mentioned in dublin at all, just the Astoria.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    its weird cos everyone is saying it was really loud and the wall of noise meant the songs were indecipherable... i thought it was loud but perhaps i'm going deaf as i didnt think it was too bad.

my ears were a bit funny afterwards, but within 10minutes they went back to normal
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    nope, he wasn't mentioned in dublin at all, just the Astoria.

Yep and he gave Pete a chant at the Astoria :)

EDIT: and Dunk I wear attenuating earplugs at gigs so it sounded great to me :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?

I doubt the sound was crystal clear for light years... cos they didn't play it :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Innes wrote:

I took a friend with me who didnt know the band well and he was blown away! "Church without the religion" he said...No kidding
    'We all believe' sums it up! Faithful was actually seriously special... it seemed to hold so much meaning for Ed and definitely for me too... summed up the moment. I was surprised cos it's never really been one of my favourites but to hear it live made it leap frog close to the top.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Yield72 wrote:
    About this 2 stole flags: We have many more....
    So ruining others view doesn't bother you? The fact you're OK is all that matters! So you wave your little flags to say "Look at us we are Portuguese"

WE DON'T CARE!!:mad: