Options

***Official Led Zeppelin Thread***

Comments

• Options
    interesting stuff. yeah the thing about page not being there for plant when plants son died rings true to me. I heard or read some quote from jimmy and he suggested that Bonzo felt the same, that All My Love which was about the death of Plants son, was not a good song, and not the bands finest moment and singled out the chorus as bad. While that may be true and accurate, I have to think Page publicly saying this, especially given the personal nature of the song, I dont imagine this went down well with Plant. I would imagine it would be hard for him to seperate the two, a critique of the song, from a critique on a tribute to his dead son
  • Options
    Anyone looking for any 75 boots someone posted them on guitars 101 the other day just do a search.
  • Options
    i just think plant has pretty much completely moved on from Zep. Ive caught a few interviews with him in the last few years and he does sort of bristle when Zep is mentioned. He has Band of Joy, and his success with Allison Krause. His new music sounds radically different than Zep. Jones also has found great success outside of Zep, helping out with the Foos and of course as part of Them Crooked. I do think you are right though, Im sure Jones, and Page are sick of the "are you guys reuniting?" questions, but for Plant it seems to really upset him, in large part because of what I mentioned, he's found great success and seems fulfilled musically with Krause and Band of Joy. In a way that makes sense, imagine if you had new music coming out, and every single interview you did, the big question was if you were getting back together with a band that broke up 30 years ago. I could imagine that becoming annoying fast. But Jones and Page seem to have embraced Zep's legacy and status. Plant doesnt seem to have. From Plants perspective I think its "hey I won a Grammy for my work with Allison Krause, and Zep broke up 30 years ago, whats the bigger priority and issue right now"
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    edited December 2012
    interesting stuff. yeah the thing about page not being there for plant when plants son died rings true to me. I heard or read some quote from jimmy and he suggested that Bonzo felt the same, that All My Love which was about the death of Plants son, was not a good song, and not the bands finest moment and singled out the chorus as bad. While that may be true and accurate, I have to think Page publicly saying this, especially given the personal nature of the song, I dont imagine this went down well with Plant. I would imagine it would be hard for him to seperate the two, a critique of the song, from a critique on a tribute to his dead son

From what i read Bonzo and page thought itod was a little soft and while page didn't like aml bonzo did in fact like the song.

This is from wiki didn't buy this book so can't confirm

On the other hand, former road manager Richard Cole stated in his book Stairway to Heaven during his time with the band, that after John Bonham sat through and listened to 'All My Love', he declared that it was the best song in which he ever heard Robert sing.
    Post edited by Bronx Bombers on
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    From Plants perspective I think its "hey I won a Grammy for my work with Allison Krause, and Zep broke up 30 years ago, whats the bigger priority and issue right now"

Still Zeppelin, Bobby. If he thinks anything else he's fooling himself, and he's crazy if Zep never winning didn't play a part in him winning.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I've got to say, I am loving the conversation going on right now in this thread.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Someone here twatted the most amazing thing ever recently:

I would have sex to every Led Zeppelin song. It wouldnt even be sex anymore. It would be Zex.

Carry on.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    What do you all think of the proposed band that would have toured had Dave Grohl not approached JPJ about doing Them Crooked.

I guess it would have been JPJ, Page, Jason, and I dont know who they would have gotten to replace Plant.

Would that band have been good do you think? Would you have gone to see them? I guess they were going to possibly change their name, but play all Zep songs
  • Options
    What do you all think of the proposed band that would have toured had Dave Grohl not approached JPJ about doing Them Crooked.

I guess it would have been JPJ, Page, Jason, and I dont know who they would have gotten to replace Plant.

Would that band have been good do you think? Would you have gone to see them? I guess they were going to possibly change their name, but play all Zep songs

Alot for me would depend on which singer they chose. Not a big fan of Myles Kennedy and from what I've read he was pretty well the front runner.

I think musically it has alot of potential, with JPJ kickin in arrangement ideas and some riffs of his own.

Would've unquestionably gone to see them, regardless of the singer they chose.
  • Options
    MANKINDMANKIND Posts: 218
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Someone here twatted the most amazing thing ever recently:

I would have sex to every Led Zeppelin song. It wouldnt even be sex anymore. It would be Zex.

Carry on.

one if the fucking dumbest things ive ever heard!

anyway carry on.
    Va Beach 08-03-00, Pittsburgh 04-28-03, State College 05-03-03, Hershey 07-12-03, Boston 09-29-04, Reading 10-01-04, Philly 10-03-05, Camden 05-27-06, Pittsburgh 06-23-06, Va Beach 06-17-08, Philly 10-30-09, Philly 10-31-09, Bristow 05-13-10
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,536
    DewieCox wrote:

Alot for me would depend on which singer they chose. Not a big fan of Myles Kennedy and from what I've read he was pretty well the front runner.

I think musically it has alot of potential, with JPJ kickin in arrangement ideas and some riffs of his own.

Would've unquestionably gone to see them, regardless of the singer they chose.

I'd have gone to see them. Plant himself can't really sing Zep songs at this point.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    I'd have gone to see them. Plant himself can't really sing Zep songs at this point.

I don't know if I'd go that far but I get what you're saying. Certainly that "golden god-like" ability to hit high-notes is gone...but it was kinda starting to go by 1977 or so anyway. If you give a listen to "Black Dog" on Celebration Day and then listen to the version from the BBC sessions, obviously it doesn't even sound like the same guy. But "Kashmir" sounds as good as it ever has on Celebration Day. I'd put Robert's 2007 vocal on that right up against the 1979 Knebworth version that everybody knows and loves. I guess it depends on the song.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Zep question, maybe you guys can help...was this new wave of 180gram lps, "Remastered by Jimmy Page", any different from the set they released in 2008?
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options

I don't know if I'd go that far but I get what you're saying. Certainly that "golden god-like" ability to hit high-notes is gone...but it was kinda starting to go by 1977 or so anyway. If you give a listen to "Black Dog" on Celebration Day and then listen to the version from the BBC sessions, obviously it doesn't even sound like the same guy. But "Kashmir" sounds as good as it ever has on Celebration Day. I'd put Robert's 2007 vocal on that right up against the 1979 Knebworth version that everybody knows and loves. I guess it depends on the song.

I think part of it is we are so used to a song like Black Dog sounding like we've heard it a million times. Seems to me both Page and Plant in the Celebration version of Black Dog tailored the song to fit their current abilities. The most noticeable difference is Plants voice. He's singing similar to how he sings with Allison Krause. he's completely restructured the vocals to suit what he can currently sing. He didnt even attempt to sing like he did in the old days. But you are right, the 2007 version of Kashmir does resemble the Plant of old, he at least seems to be trying to hit those notes.

What about Page's guitar playing from the 2007 gig?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Page stated that they had Steven Tyler come in and try out and he didn't fit to well ...That made me cringe :nono: at this point i will just be happy to remember them as they were when i saw them ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Page stated that they had Steven Tyler come in and try out and he didn't fit to well ...That made me cringe :nono: at this point i will just be happy to remember them as they were when i saw them ....
    Yes. If they tour with a different singer, DON'T call it Led Zeppelin.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

but they dont have bonzo. even if they do have his son currently. Do you think the 02 shouldnt have been considered Zep? I tend to think so. Ive mentioned my gripe several times, reguarding bands reuniting, especially without key members of the group, or replaced members of the group. Had George, Paul and Ringo reunited in 1985 or whenever, after john was killed, it would have been amazing to see the 3 on stage, but were they really the beatles?

Is zep, really zep, without Bonzo?

Grohl and Noveselic reunited I dont think would be called Nirvana. And I dont think Blind Melon is Blind Melon without Shannon Hoon. Although The Who is still considered the who without Moon the loon.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

but they dont have bonzo. even if they do have his son currently. Do you think the 02 shouldnt have been considered Zep? I tend to think so. Ive mentioned my gripe several times, reguarding bands reuniting, especially without key members of the group, or replaced members of the group. Had George, Paul and Ringo reunited in 1985 or whenever, after john was killed, it would have been amazing to see the 3 on stage, but were they really the beatles?

Grohl and Noveselic reunited I dont think would be called Nirvana. And I dont think Blind Melon is Blind Melon without Shannon Hoon. Although The Who is still considered the who without Moon the loon.
    Do you think they shouldn't have called themselves The Beatles in 1994/1995 for the Anthology project for "Free As a Bird" and "Real Love"?

I know my reasoning is weird for Zeppelin, but I do consider the reunion show to be Led Zeppelin because it was Jason on drums. At least they kept it in the family. Regarding The Who, I don't even call them that now. I refer to them as Pete and Roger.
  • Options
  • Options
    Grohl and Noveselic reunited I dont think would be called Nirvana. And I dont think Blind Melon is Blind Melon without Shannon Hoon. Although The Who is still considered the who without Moon the loon.[/quote]
    Do you think they shouldn't have called themselves The Beatles in 1994/1995 for the Anthology project for "Free As a Bird" and "Real Love"?

I know my reasoning is weird for Zeppelin, but I do consider the reunion show to be Led Zeppelin because it was Jason on drums. At least they kept it in the family. Regarding The Who, I don't even call them that now. I refer to them as Pete and Roger.[/quote]

I love free as a bird and real love, but what was different about that was they used Johns vocals. They didnt tour as a 3 some to promote the anthology albums and documentary, and definitely included John in the process as wierd as that sounds. In fact, John's vocals on both tracks are things that are prominantly featured, and of course both songs are solo John tracks. So he isnt left out or relegated to an afterthought as it were.

With Zep, I dont know. Thats a good point, Jason is of course the son of John. But that said, he obviously isnt his father. He's talented obviously but its also not like he's the most talented drummer ever, which is something his father was.

You or someone else, suggested replacing Plant would mean they wouldnt or shouldnt be called Led Zeppelin. They replaced John Bonham, I dont see how thats any different. The whole point of whether we are talking the beatles, or zeppelin, is every member was essential. They all came together to form these groups who created music that is astounding and jaw dropping. Every member was important. And I dont think I would agree that keeping it in the family. Replacing Moon or Hoon with family members wouldnt make the bands The Who or Blind Melon respectively. Its like Sublime with Rome. Clearly its not Sublime. Rome isnt Bradley. And AIC isnt AIC, Duvall isnt Layne.

But my bias is all the reunited bands havent really interested me all that much. All those bands were very important to me, but its not the real bands. And its not the bands fault for trying to replace the members who left or died or whatever. Im not blaming the bands. For me, Black Gives Way to Blue stayed in my stereo for maybe a few days. And the new projects by Sublime with Rome, or the new Blind Melon or whoever, i cant say that really interests me.
  • Options
    in fact including jason in the band is probably what saved them from being sued by the bonham family. Had the 3 members at o2 billed themselves as Led Zep, and replaced John with some other non family member, I could see the Bonham's having a damn good case for a lawsuit. Or maybe that, I dont know how they split royalities, but that 1/4, in that hypothetical situation would go to Bonzo's family (had jason not been a part of this).

And thats precisely what Bradley's family did reguarding Rome.
  • Options
    Just finished reading the Page interview. Damn good.
  • Options

As a monstrous Zep fan I'm fine with it for the one off type things or even a final tour, and I may feel different had I not read several interviews where Jason talked about how something finally clicked as far as the part he was playing in the whole thing. He'll never be the drummer his dad was, but he put in alot of effort to recreate the licks and the vibe that he had. Watch the O2 dvd and you can see how much he put into it and how much he got out of it.

I don't think there would've been a show without Jason, but even if they played with another drummer I don't think there would've been any legal action. The other members seem to have gone to great lengths to help out the Bonham family.

Bonzo was an integral part of the band, no doubt, but the examples you're giving, those guys are the unquestionable main draw and driving force. The groove was essential to Zeppelin and Bonzo is absolutely irreplaceable, but as crazy as it sounds he may have been the most replaceable member.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah me too damn good , i feel for Page he started it and he will finish it on hi's own terms , i'm just glad that at 16 yrs old my old man drove me and three of my best friends over to the Colliseum here on Long Island to get Tickets back in 75 for all of 15$ ea to see the best fucking band ever no other has come close IMHO ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah me too damn good , i feel for Page he started it and he will finish it on hi's own terms , i'm just glad that at 16 yrs old my old man drove me and three of my best friends over to the Colliseum here on Long Island to get Tickets back in 75 for all of 15$ ea to see the best fucking band ever no other has come close IMHO ....
    That's so awesome you saw them.

I'll gladly disagree with you with the last part. ;)
  • Options
    Have to respect Robert's reasoning for not wanting to continue.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/12/Decemb ... uing.shtml
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

That's so awesome you saw them.

who do you view as the best band ever? I think its the beatles, but whats your choice or vote?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Have to respect Robert's reasoning for not wanting to continue.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/12/Decemb ... uing.shtml

interesting, seems to be pretty much what I was suggesting as well. that a reunion isnt a reunion unless its the full 4 member band.

But I definitely still feel like Plant has moved on. Its apparent from all the interviews of him Ive seen lately. The 2 interviews I saw where they gave 40 minute press conferences to promote Celebration, Plant clearly seemed to dislike the idea of anyone asking about a reunion or a tour. And in some ways, i understand it, but in other ways, when you are a part of something as massive and gargantuan as Zep, thats going to pretty much color the rest of your life, good or bad.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

who do you view as the best band ever? I think its the beatles, but whats your choice or vote?
    The Beatles. Zepp is a very close second.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    Sorta nonplussed with their appearance on Letterman this week
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO