Options

***Official Led Zeppelin Thread***

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    DewieCox wrote:
    Jimmy Page is God

Fixed that for you.
    I agree. He was key for why their albums are so great (minus ITTOD). The production on those albums is simply amazing.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    DewieCox wrote:
    Jimmy Page is God

Fixed that for you.

:D Why thank you. Been a long day, typo ;)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Newch91 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Jimmy Page is God

Fixed that for you.
    I agree. He was key for why their albums are so great (minus ITTOD). The production on those albums is simply amazing.

I agree that he was the main creative force, architect and unquestioned leader of the band, whereas I used to think he was the absolute dictator of the band. That was mostly til I heard what John Paul Jones did Them Crooked Vultures. To me it's melodically and arrangement wise closer to Zeppelin than just about anything else I've ever heard from Page or Plant. I think Alain Johannes also has a major musical crush on Page which helped push that Zeppelin influence along for that album, but the arrangements on that album are so Zeppelin-esque that you just know JPJ had a huge say in how they unfolded.

Page's greatness can't be denied, he's the best ever, but having JPJ as a right hand man in the studio really helped push alot of their tunes to the next level.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    This has me very excited! :D

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs ... s-20121126

Jimmy Page Digs Up 'Substantial' Rarities for New Led Zeppelin Remasters

"It will be coming out, bit by bit," Jimmy Page says with a tantalizing lilt in his voice. The Led Zeppelin guitarist is referring to his current labors in the band's archive, preparing new deluxe editions of each of Zeppelin's studio albums, from 1969's Led Zeppelin to 1979's In Through the Out Door, plus the 1982 post-breakup collection, Coda. Page says the reissues will include "added sonic and visual thrills," and he expects to begin issuing the first albums in the series sometime next year.

Details of the project emerged during Page's interview for the new issue of Rolling Stone – his longest and most extensive conversation with the magazine, coinciding with the release of Celebration Day, the new film and album of Led Zeppelin's 2007 reunion concert at London 02's arena. I had asked Page about the reissues in a phone interview three days before our first session in London, but he preferred to wait and discuss them in person – which he did, as soon as we sat down in a lounge in his management's office in London.

"The catalog was last remastered 20 years ago," Page said, referring to the 1990 release of the four-CD box set, Led Zeppelin. "That's a long time. Everything is being transferred from analog to a higher-resolution digital format. That's one of the problems with the Zeppelin stuff. It sounds ridiculous on MP3. You can't hear what's there properly."

Whole Lotta Extras
    Based on the unreleased studio tracks that have circulated on bootlegs since Led Zeppelin split in 1980, following the death of drummer John Bonham, the group did not record a lot of additional songs for each LP. "But there was an overage of material – different versions of things, different approaches to the mixes," Page explained. He mentioned experiments with equipment and sound on early alternative takes at Headley Grange, the English manor where Zeppelin recorded some of their most iconic work, particularly their 1971 untitled fourth album.

"The classic there was 'When the Levee Breaks,'" Page said, "where the drums were set up in the hallway. You know what it sounded like – immense – from the recorded version. But we used the drums in the hall for a number of things, like 'Kashmir' [on 1975's Physical Graffiti] – some with closer miking. So there were a lot of different approaches. It will be fascinating for people to witness the work in progress."

Page is also looking at relevant live recordings and film to accompany the reissues. "There are concerts that were recorded – some that might have appeared on bootleg in some shape or form – and a certain amount of footage, though not a lot," he said. "I started doing this with [2003's] Led Zeppelin DVD and [the 2003 three-CD set] How the West Was Won, which was a superb live performance." Page believes BBC Sessions, a 1997 release of Zeppelin's recordings for British radio, "didn't have that open horizon" of the group's best concerts, "where you're just going and going, right over that horizon.

"But all of it is good," Page said of the music his band left behind, on record and in the vaults. "It has its own character and validity."

Your Time Is Gonna Come
    Pressed on a release date for the initial reissues, Page warned that "you've got to get to the point where all of the members of the group are in agreement," referring to singer Robert Plant and bassist John Paul Jones. "I would hope it is sooner rather than later. But it will be in the course of next year and going on for awhile.

"And I'm not just throwing on any old flotsam and jetsam," he insisted, referring to the bonus material. "This will be really substantial stuff."

I wonder how much of this stuff is already out there between the Ultimate Studio Sessions and the Lost Sessions as well as various others.

Here is the All That Glitters Is Gold tracklisting

DISK ONE:
    (Headley Grange and Some Studio 1971)
    01) Black Dog (outtake) (05:04)
    02) Four Sticks (instrumental) (04:33)
    03) Four Sticks (alternate take)(05:21)
    04) Black Dog (rehearsal take 1)(02:48)
    05) Black Dog (rehearsal take 2)(04:06)
    06) No Quarter (demo) (04:07)
    07) Stairway To Heaven (acoustic demo 1)(04:03)
    08) Stairway To Heaven (acoustic demo 2)(02:57)
    09) Guitar Improvisations (01:04)
    10) Stairway To Heaven (acoustic vocal demo)(06:09)
    11) Stairway To Heaven (rehearsal take 1)(08:22)
    12) The Battle of Evermore (alternate take)(05:47)
    13) Rain Song (original acoustic demo) (04:20)
    14) Ten Years Gone (acoustic demo) (01:57)
    15) Ten Years Gone (electric demo) (05:05)
    16) When The Levee Breaks (alternate take 1)(05:43)
    17) When The Levee Breaks (alternate take 2)(05:49)

DISK TWO:
    (Bombay Session at India 1972)
    01) Friends (rehearsal part 1) (04:14)
    02) Friends (rehearsal part 2) (14:34)
    03) Friends (rehearsal part 3) (07:07)
    04) Friends (rehearsal part 4) (02:08)
    05) Friends (rehearsal part 5) (03:22)
    06) Four Sticks (05:14)
    07) Friends (vocal take 1) (04:55)
    08) Friends (vocal take 2) (04:26)
    09) Four Sticks (take 1 & 2) (02:13)
    10) Four Sticks (take 2 continue) (00:15)
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I agree that he was the main creative force, architect and unquestioned leader of the band, whereas I used to think he was the absolute dictator of the band. That was mostly til I heard what John Paul Jones did Them Crooked Vultures. To me it's melodically and arrangement wise closer to Zeppelin than just about anything else I've ever heard from Page or Plant. I think Alain Johannes also has a major musical crush on Page which helped push that Zeppelin influence along for that album, but the arrangements on that album are so Zeppelin-esque that you just know JPJ had a huge say in how they unfolded.

Page's greatness can't be denied, he's the best ever, but having JPJ as a right hand man in the studio really helped push alot of their tunes to the next level.
    It helped that JPJ was also a session musician like Page was and that also furthered how great their records sound. I think people overlook the importance of JPJ a lot, especially with Page and Bonzo in the band. JPJ was and is an accomplished multi-instrumentalist.

On a side note, love the back-to-back of "Tangerine" and "That's the Way" on Zeppelin 3. Such a great album. Every time I hear those songs, I also think of "Almost Famous."
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    JPJ is my favorite member... he plays some killer bass lines and is an electronics freak. I've read a few interviews in bass player magazine and he seems like a pretty cool dude.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,459
    JPJ is my favorite member... he plays some killer bass lines and is an electronics freak. I've read a few interviews in bass player magazine and he seems like a pretty cool dude.

I'm dying to see him play live. I saw Page/Plant twice, so that's something. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Please release one of the Earl's Court shows.
  • Options
    Excellent FB page for full concerts & hidden gems.
    http://www.facebook.com/LedZeppelinRadio
  • Options
    Guess I'll keep on Ramblin'
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Thanks for sharing!
    Your welcome! Love that Page. ;)
  • Options
    I've already gone through their catalog and now listening to "Celebration Day" for a third time. I freakin' love this album!!!
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Ordered Celebration Day only yesterday and it's already on its way! Cant wait.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    I dont see Zep as having a defacto leader. What made them the 2nd greatest band of all time, is the virtuosity of every single member of the band, every one of them has a claim as the greatest musician ever at their instrument, including Plant who didnt play an instrument. Seems to me all 4 came to the table with ideas and things to bring to the songs and albums and contributed equally. I dont get the feeling Bonzo, or JPJ were shy about bringing in riffs or musical ideas, and i think plant and page knew the absurd amount of talent they possessed, individually and as a band.

Its kind of like arguing which Beatle is better. We all have our personal favorite, but what made both bands so deadly and untouchable was how beyond brilliant each individual member was. I find it hard to say which Zep band member I like best. With the caliber of musicianship they assembled its like the ultimate band. They couldnt have been more talented and they couldnt have assembled a more talented band.

Whoever posted prior to me saying people overlook certain Zep band members, I think thats an absolutely insane statement to make. The band was literally perfect. Couldnt have been improved. They sold 300 million plus albums, are in my view the 2nd greatest band of all time, and are revered as the heroes they deserve to be. Could they recieve more credit and awards, yeah they could. But in my view Zep is viewed correctly, and are given the right amount of credit and acclaim and legendary status. For all intents and purposes Plant was a golden haired God and still is, and I dont know any drummer, bassist, or guitarist who doesnt worship bonzo, JPJ, and page respectively.

What they achieved in their careers as a band is sickening and staggering to even consider.
  • Options
    I dont see Zep as having a defacto leader. What made them the 2nd greatest band of all time, is the virtuosity of every single member of the band, every one of them has a claim as the greatest musician ever at their instrument, including Plant who didnt play an instrument. Seems to me all 4 came to the table with ideas and things to bring to the songs and albums and contributed equally. I dont get the feeling Bonzo, or JPJ were shy about bringing in riffs or musical ideas, and i think plant and page knew the absurd amount of talent they possessed, individually and as a band.

Its kind of like arguing which Beatle is better. We all have our personal favorite, but what made both bands so deadly and untouchable was how beyond brilliant each individual member was. I find it hard to say which Zep band member I like best. With the caliber of musicianship they assembled its like the ultimate band. They couldnt have been more talented and they couldnt have assembled a more talented band.

Whoever posted prior to me saying people overlook certain Zep band members, I think thats an absolutely insane statement to make. The band was literally perfect. Couldnt have been improved. They sold 300 million plus albums, are in my view the 2nd greatest band of all time, and are revered as the heroes they deserve to be. Could they recieve more credit and awards, yeah they could. But in my view Zep is viewed correctly, and are given the right amount of credit and acclaim and legendary status. For all intents and purposes Plant was a golden haired God and still is, and I dont know any drummer, bassist, or guitarist who doesnt worship bonzo, JPJ, and page respectively.

What they achieved in their careers as a band is sickening and staggering to even consider.

I agree with absolutely everything, except that I think Page was the leader, but not a dictator. He knew what he wanted for his band and assembled the perfect personnel to achieve it and the band as a whole allowed each member the room to get their personal stamp in. That's not to take credit away from any members' contributions, whatsoever. All great at their craft and likely would've found success on their own, but there's a reason Page produced every album and would never use the same co-producer twice. He was the architect of their sound.

Also like to add, they had probably the first great manager in rock as well. Ruthless but got the job done.
  • Options
    Imagine if this band had happened: Page, Beck, Moon, Entwistle, plus a singer. Do you think there would have been a Zeppelin?
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I agree with absolutely everything, except that I think Page was the leader, but not a dictator. He knew what he wanted for his band and assembled the perfect personnel to achieve it and the band as a whole allowed each member the room to get their personal stamp in. That's not to take credit away from any members' contributions, whatsoever. All great at their craft and likely would've found success on their own, but there's a reason Page produced every album and would never use the same co-producer twice. He was the architect of their sound.

Also like to add, they had probably the first great manager in rock as well. Ruthless but got the job done.
    What about Brian Epstein?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

What about Brian Epstein?

I guess I'm just not as familiar with him. I know Grant had a huge hand in Zeppelin having total creative control in a time where that was pretty unheard of for unproven acts and the 90/10 splits promoter would have to take. To my understanding Peter Grant changed the way the game was played.
  • Options
    Not to mention Grant could probably kill a guy if they disagreed with him.
  • Options
    Tool's cover of "No Quarter"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNUq-JSXvS4
  • Options
    Tool's cover of "No Quarter"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNUq-JSXvS4

I prefer it to Zep's studio version, but it doesn't touch a good live take of it. No Quarter from TSRTS might be my absolute favorite Zep track.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    John Paul Jones, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin will appear on the December 3rd (Monday) episode of The Late Show with David Letterman. The show is part of a series of Letterman episodes being taped in Washington D.C., where the Zep fellas will be among those receiving Kennedy Center Honors.
    http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrac ... letterman/
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    John Paul Jones, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin will appear on the December 3rd (Monday) episode of The Late Show with David Letterman. The show is part of a series of Letterman episodes being taped in Washington D.C., where the Zep fellas will be among those receiving Kennedy Center Honors.
    That's going to be incredible.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Billboard says "Interview only, NO performance"

http://www.billboard.com/news/led-zeppe ... 3392.story
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    http://news.yahoo.com/letterman-hoffman ... 42953.html

By the end of the night, the Foo Fighters, Kid Rock and Lenny Kravitz got the crowd moving to some of Zeppelin's hits at the Kennedy Center.
    Jack Black declared Zeppelin the "greatest rock and roll band of all time."
    "That's right. Better than the Beatles. Better than the Stones. Even better than Tenacious D," he said. "And that's not opinion — that's fact."
    For the finale, Heart's Ann Wilson and Nancy Wilson sang "Stairway to Heaven," accompanied by a full choir and Jason Bonham, son of the late Zeppelin drummer John Bonham.
    Zeppelin front man Robert Plant and his bandmates John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page seemed moved by the show.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Kid Rock? Really? That was the best they could get?
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Newch91 wrote:
    Kid Rock? Really? That was the best they could get?

Ah come on. Kid Rock is a very talented and multi dimensional musician. He can play almost every instrument out there and has a broad range of musical abilities and genres. He gets a bad rap from people because of his rap/rock beginnings, but I think he is a really talented guy. His interview on Howard a few weeks ago was really good too
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    norm wrote:
    I totally shoulda taken a walk around the Kennedy Center area yesterday :lol:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    igotid88 wrote:
    http://news.yahoo.com/letterman-hoffman-zeppelin-honored-obama-004142953.html

By the end of the night, the Foo Fighters, Kid Rock and Lenny Kravitz got the crowd moving to some of Zeppelin's hits at the Kennedy Center.
    Jack Black declared Zeppelin the "greatest rock and roll band of all time."
    "That's right. Better than the Beatles. Better than the Stones. Even better than Tenacious D," he said. "And that's not opinion — that's fact."
    For the finale, Heart's Ann Wilson and Nancy Wilson sang "Stairway to Heaven," accompanied by a full choir and Jason Bonham, son of the late Zeppelin drummer John Bonham.
    Zeppelin front man Robert Plant and his bandmates John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page seemed moved by the show.

wow when is this on TV?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08