iphone or Android HELP

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    And here's for the Android members to turn off big brother.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/226083/y ... g_you.html
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,834
    lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

If that's true it"s kind of disturbing.
    Steve no longer being here , I wonder just how long Apple NOT storing will last if that was even true in the first place?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Steve no longer being here , I wonder just how long Apple NOT storing will last if that was even true in the first place?

i think the tracking software is indeed true ... the question really is was anything malicious intended and has that information been co-opted for reasons we, as consumers, would not condone ... at this point - i would hope not but it'll be hard to prove ...
  • ten2o3ten2o3 Posts: 225
    "81 wrote:

might be time to root

Rooting is definitely the way to go, it opens up so many more possibilities for your android phone. And this is why I'll be buying the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Its a stock os (no bloatware, etc) and can be rooted in just 2 steps.
    9/3/11 PJ20 Alpine Valley
    9/4/11 PJ20 Alpine Valley
    10/19/14 St. Paul
    10/20/14 Milwaukee (Yield in full!!!)
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,987
    looks like I may be swinging slightly toward iphone for two simple reasons,

the deal the place is offering for the iphone 4 is "decent", and I like itunes...

I do appreciate the Galaxy and android OS, but I'm just a bit scared of new shit, or shit I haven't messed with. Its not them, its me :oops:
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    looks like I may be swinging slightly toward iphone for two simple reasons,

the deal the place is offering for the iphone 4 is "decent", and I like itunes...

I do appreciate the Galaxy and android OS, but I'm just a bit scared of new shit, or shit I haven't messed with. Its not them, its me :oops:

I don't think you will be disappointed especially if you are already familiar with how Apple does some things.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    81 wrote:
    nokia has teamed up with microsoft....i believe they are releasing one or two phones in the 4th qtr.

(Nokia showed it a couple day's ago in Vegas, looks like the N9, just with a larger screen and inferior software :D )
    -
    Microsoft chief executive Steven Ballmer joined Nokia boss Stephen Elop to unveil the new Lumia 900 smartphone, which would run on Windows mobile software and tapped into a growing trove of popular mini-applications.

The two firms did not disclose the price or release date for the Lumia 900, but said it would be offered exclusively on the latest generation 4G long term evolution (LTE) network of US telecom giant AT&T.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/412025/nokia_declares_war_us_smartphone_market/?utm_medium=rss&utm_source=taxonomyfeed

“The reviews have been fantastic,” Ballmer said of Windows-powered phones, which had been late-comers to a booming market increasingly dominated by Apple and Android handsets.

Lumia 900 had front and rear facing cameras with Carl Zeiss photo technology and 4.3-inch high-definition displays.

“I think Nokia is going to be back in the US in a very big way,” AT&T president of mobility Ralph de la Vega said at a press conference.

“We are big fans of Windows phones.” Nokia showed off an array of applications made just for Lumia 900, including 20 videogames made by console industry colossus Electronic Arts.

Elop said Nokia planned to price Lumia 900 ‘aggressively’ to establish a strong beachhead on the US smartphone battlefield.

He said that Lumia would then land in China and Latin America to fight for market share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Nfh9bl0Z8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTEvYq-R3OM
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Go nokia go. Everything i've read about windows software and nokia hardware has been positive. So positive that i picked up a few nok shares late last year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    81 wrote:
    Go nokia go. Everything i've read about windows software and nokia hardware has been positive. So positive that i picked up a few nok shares late last year.

Nokia hardware tends to be pretty solid, I really like the N9/Lumia look feel. I'm on the fence with Nokia and windows teaming up. I really think Nokia had something special with it's open source MeeGo/Harmattan which is what the N9 runs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeeGo_%28operating_system%29

Nevertheless, I'm a fan of Nokia and prefer them over the competition. Nokia is also suppose to start making tablets to take on the ipad and Galaxy Tabs.

Can't wait for that!
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I'm eligible for an upgrade and I was thinking about upgrading to the Droid Razr Maxx from the Droid X. Can anyone who has this comment on it? It's supposed to have great battery life, and overall the reviews I've read have been positive. Only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the purchase is all the reviews on the lackluster camera I've read. I may just wait to see what comes out in the next few months.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Better Dan wrote:
    I'm eligible for an upgrade and I was thinking about upgrading to the Droid Razr Maxx from the Droid X. Can anyone who has this comment on it? It's supposed to have great battery life, and overall the reviews I've read have been positive. Only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on the purchase is all the reviews on the lackluster camera I've read. I may just wait to see what comes out in the next few months.
    Battery is huge in the razor...something like twice the power of current phones
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    81 wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

Yeah, not sure if it's worth the purchase just for that and the faster speeds. I'm actually still very happy with my phone and don't really want to pay a few hundred for a product that is so similar. My wife just switched from her Droid X to the iPhone. I don't think I'll go that route..not an iPhone fan at all.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,834
    Better Dan wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

Yeah, not sure if it's worth the purchase just for that and the faster speeds. I'm actually still very happy with my phone and don't really want to pay a few hundred for a product that is so similar. My wife just switched from her Droid X to the iPhone. I don't think I'll go that route..not an iPhone fan at all.
    you and 81 will become fast friends!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    you and 81 will become fast friends!!! :mrgreen:

i'd like you more if you bought a nokia lumina 900

nokia-lumia-900.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Chalk one up for the iphone and blackberry.

Which electronic devices can't be protected from identity thieves? Find out

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 2204240305

But I guess when your phone manufacturer is using an operating system that is free...you do get what you pay for.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    One of the reasons I would never sell used electronics of any brand. Just use them until they are no good and either shelf them or destroy them.
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Hi y'all. Re-bumping this thread vs starting my own. 1st a disclaimer, I haven't read the whole of this thread so I hope my question hasn't already been addressed, if it has & I can be directed to a peg to check out will be fab! Anywayyyy..... I'm new to the smartphone world & tbh my android is driving me mental! :cry: Problem is MUSIC! This is of course a very big thing for most of us around here & I'm kinda wishing I'd got an iphone, except that I never could have afforded one so moving on...

Ok, problem is: My new phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2. The stock music player is shit so I downloaded & spent the hours setting up winamp only to find the shuffle, which is all I ever use, SUX. So, I've now downloaded & am in the middle of setting up doubletwist. Everything is doubled( 8-) ) up, there's nowhere to tell it where to save music ie I want to have 32GB worth on my SD card + everytime I re-open my computer & doubletwist it seems to undo all the setting up I did before. AAAAGH!

What music app do people use for their android & howTF do sort it out? TIA & sorry in advance if I've missed something obvious. :?

e.t.a. oh & how do you tell it what to sync vs it just auto-syncing? I googled this & it said select boxes under your device but those boxes are greyed out for me, ie can't be selected. Grrrrr. :fp:
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
    morello wrote:
    Hi y'all. Re-bumping this thread vs starting my own. 1st a disclaimer, I haven't read the whole of this thread so I hope my question hasn't already been addressed, if it has & I can be directed to a peg to check out will be fab! Anywayyyy..... I'm new to the smartphone world & tbh my android is driving me mental! :cry: Problem is MUSIC! This is of course a very big thing for most of us around here & I'm kinda wishing I'd got an iphone, except that I never could have afforded one so moving on...

Ok, problem is: My new phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2. The stock music player is shit so I downloaded & spent the hours setting up winamp only to find the shuffle, which is all I ever use, SUX. So, I've now downloaded & am in the middle of setting up doubletwist. Everything is doubled( 8-) ) up, there's nowhere to tell it where to save music ie I want to have 32GB worth on my SD card + everytime I re-open my computer & doubletwist it seems to undo all the setting up I did before. AAAAGH!

What music app do people use for their android & howTF do sort it out? TIA & sorry in advance if I've missed something obvious. :?

e.t.a. oh & how do you tell it what to sync vs it just auto-syncing? I googled this & it said select boxes under your device but those boxes are greyed out for me, ie can't be selected. Grrrrr. :fp:

Paging Mr. Andoid...better known around these parts as 81. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cheers DS. This so sux!! The phone seems great, I'm getting my head around apps & loving some things but it's a big FAIL on the fkn music front so far which is UNBE-FKN-LIEVABLE & SUX so much!! :evil: :cry:
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    i use my phone for everything but music....sorry...i can't help. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

:fp:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

:fp:
    +1 DS.

Thanks 81. Fuk this is driving me insane! Like how & whyTF can it be so difficult!??!?!

Doubletwist shuffle seems to be working so far except I only have 1500 songs in there so that ain't gonna last long + there's no lock screen display on double-twist so it's gonna suck on the bus to work tomorrow morn. Grrrr.

Do you guys know of any other android gurus around here?
    <hr>
    morello wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cheers DS. This so sux!! The phone seems great, I'm getting my head around apps & loving some things but it's a big FAIL on the fkn music front so far which is UNBE-FKN-LIEVABLE & SUX so much!! :evil: :cry:

I'm no help either. I'm familiar with Blackberry and Apple. I have no experience with Android. Try this site however.

http://www.androidcentral.com/

I use their crackberry.com and imore.com sites whenever I have questions. They have forums and the people seem always willing to help. It's free to sign up and join. Hope it helps. :D
    DS1119 wrote:
    I'm no help either. I'm familiar with Blackberry and Apple. I have no experience with Android. Try this site however.

I use their crackberry.com and imore.com sites whenever I have questions. They have forums and the people seem always willing to help. It's free to sign up and join. Hope it helps. :D
    Thanks. I'll try that. I've searched for answers to stuff & come across android forums but haven't gone so far as joining one yet. I'll check that one out.
    <hr>
    morello wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Thanks. I'll try that. I've searched for answers to stuff & come across android forums but haven't gone so far as joining one yet. I'll check that one out.

I'm a member of the blackberry and iPhone forums of the sister sites and their's always someone willing to help on those sites.
    norm wrote:
    What? Yeah I know where to get android apps from I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with music on androids. Doubletwist & Winamp see to be the most recommended apps but I'm finding them shit, or Winamp is shit for shuffle & I'm finding Doubletwist being difficult to set up.
    <hr>
    DS1119 wrote:
    I'm a member of the blackberry and iPhone forums of the sister sites and their's always someone willing to help on those sites.
    Ok, thanks. Maybe I'll try it.
    <hr>
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    morello wrote:
    norm wrote:
    What? Yeah I know where to get android apps from I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with music on androids. Doubletwist & Winamp see to be the most recommended apps but I'm finding them shit, or Winamp is shit for shuffle & I'm finding Doubletwist being difficult to set up.

sorry, i meant to post to google music...that's what i use
    norm wrote:
    morello wrote:
    norm wrote:

sorry, i meant to post to google music...that's what i use
    Do you have to be online with that all the time? I'm not interested in doing that. I want to have it on the SD card.
    <hr>